N-Europe

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Retro_Link

If you have a PS4..........

If you own a copy of Guacamelee! on PS3 or Vita, you can upgrade to the PS4 'complete' edition for just £3.29 (with an additional 10% discount for PS+ subscribers for the first week, bringing the total below £3)

What makes this a great deal is that even people who downloaded Guacamelee! when it was free on PS+ are eligible for the upgrade deal - even if the PS3 version has been sat doing nothing on your download list ever since

I know it's free on XBox One, but this is a grand deal for people who own the other console

I took advantage of the excellent upgrade deal as I got the game for free on Plus but never played it as I had misconceptions about what kind of game it was, now that I'm more aware though I decided to buy the upgrade which only ended up costing £2.96! :)

Part of me can understand why the Wii U version is priced higher, especially as we didn't get the original game - did we? - but on the other hand £10 is still more expensive than getting it on PS4 or Steam or Xbox if you have Gold.

However it sounds like it's definitely worth the money whichever way you look at it. : peace:

Is any of you playing the Wii U-version? I'm experiencing some weird problems with the left analogue stick. It seems to me that when I've been in a caotic battle, the stick doesn't respond as it used to. For instance, in the shop menu, I can press SouthWest or SouthEast on the stick and it goes up! It's also happening in battles, when I try to forward push someone, Luchadore gives an uppercut.

Also, the sound lags when I turn into El Inferno.

Others having these problems, and are they also on other consoles?

---

Other than that, I'm going to fight Calaca now. 9 hours in. Great game indeed, I've been enjoying the humour so much and the game itself is actually great fun.

I might have stumbled upon a bug by the end:

I had most definitely collected all 5 orbs before going to the final boss but the counter said 4/6 before I received the last orb after beating Calaco and it only filled the left eye so I o®bviously missed one - but I am certain that I have been every place with orbs. Unless I have died after o®btaining one. I don't want to do those challenges again!

Basically, my mask looks like the one in the video below:

but I only got the left eye filled at that point.

Now, the funny part is that I got the sad ending but can see the alternate/happy ending in the Extras menu - even though I only have 5/6 orbs - is this normal? Now I'm a bit sad that I can't go fly about as Pollo. I don't want to try to beat Calaca again, he was quite difficult.

Edited by MindFreak

I might have stumbled upon a bug by the end:

I had most definitely collected all 5 orbs before going to the final boss but the counter said 4/6 before I received the last orb after beating Calaco and it only filled the left eye so I o®bviously missed one - but I am certain that I have been every place with orbs. Unless I have died after o®btaining one. I don't want to do those challenges again!

Basically, my mask looks like the one in the video below:

but I only got the left eye filled at that point.

Now, the funny part is that I got the sad ending but can see the alternate/happy ending in the Extras menu - even though I only have 5/6 orbs - is this normal? Now I'm a bit sad that I can't go fly about as Pollo. I don't want to try to beat Calaca again, he was quite difficult.

Well, I was on 5/6 before taking on the final boss, and obviously got the 6th orb from there to make it 6/6. If I load my save file now it goes back to 5/6, but I can still use the flying pollo as that ability is unlocked with 5 orbs.

Seems like you might have missed one, but you should definitely be able to go back and get it so that you can have 5/5 and flying pollo without needing to do the last boss.

Is any of you playing the Wii U-version? I'm experiencing some weird problems with the left analogue stick. It seems to me that when I've been in a caotic battle, the stick doesn't respond as it used to. For instance, in the shop menu, I can press SouthWest or SouthEast on the stick and it goes up! It's also happening in battles, when I try to forward push someone, Luchadore gives an uppercut.

Also, the sound lags when I turn into El Inferno.

Others having these problems, and are they also on other consoles?

---

Other than that, I'm going to fight Calaca now. 9 hours in. Great game indeed, I've been enjoying the humour so much and the game itself is actually great fun.

I've got the Wii U and I haven't noticed those problems. :S

LOVING this game, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes Metroidvanias. Fantastic platformer/beat-em-up. The art style is GORGEOUS, the music really great and the humour is LOL funny at times. Plenty of gaming homages too.

Completed this today. Enjoyed it, but it was a bit short! A couple more areas to explore after all the abilities had been gathered (maybe 3 that you could go to in any order?) would have added the extra few hours it needed. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed it and will probably go back to it for the challenge area and to grab anything major I missed.

• 4 years later...

I've been playing this on Switch on and off in recent weeks, having never played it previously, and think I probably have something like 2 hours remaining.

There's certainly a lot to like, such as the fast and responsive combat with a healthy selection of moves to combine and the humourous tone, dialogue and references but I can't help but feel that I want to be enjoying it more than I am, overall.

I like learning new abilities as I progress (I believe I've just been taught the last one by that goat dude) but I don't always feel like I instantly know what to press to navigate some of platforming challenges without having to pause to think about what buttons do what. It could be with me jumping in and out of the game so often but it just hasn't ever felt natural.

In combat, I usually get into a decent rhythm and flow with the moves, so that's good, but, like I say, not so much with the platforming. There's certainly plenty of checkpoints, though, which I appreciate in one way but also feel that it takes a significant amount of the danger away from each area and the battles within. Perhaps I will care more towards the end but even at this stage I kinda just feel like death has no real consequence. It means I fight without much care or strategy!

I'll update my thoughts after I beat it but I don't think I like it enough to bother getting the sequel, unfortunately..

The sequel is definitely more of the same but I found the platforming harder in it so probably a good idea to pass it. I get your feeling towards the platforming, it is really hard when you have so many different inputs to combine in order to make it through a section.