Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Splatoon

Retro_Link

It's a new weapon that is “easy to handle even for beginners” with low ink consumption.

[TWEET]582463287712858112[/TWEET]

[TWEET]582465319584690176[/TWEET]

Edited by Wii

tumblr_nm5jjaJkl21u3akyno1_1280.png

tumblr_nm5jjaJkl21u3akyno2_1280.png

tumblr_nm5jjaJkl21u3akyno3_1280.png

For the States:

CBi-ZO9UEAAvW8a.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VHWMJWC?ie=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393177&creativeASIN=B00VHWMJWC&linkCode=shr&tag=myamiibonewsc-20&linkId=IB2MS3QCZGNAJCES&qid=1427934119&sr=8-1&keywords=splatoon+amiibo

It's only a placeholder for now, it hasn't gone live yet.

https://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/detail/jDd3Pi7K56i7Fj_nuWlv12ZbU2_xWRyX

The Inkling Squid amiibo figure is available exclusively in the Splatoon series 3-pack set.

So the amiibo bundle in Europe I'd say is the only way to get the Inkling Squid amiibo here.

DwhTRvGtV-7QMBaR7VOaunTKwV58HooUtGBZ_8ND3o4pxR97esdmhhTWIComK-Xv-l_n_Dvh8x-WLptY18R1Kp3u6WSn56NoLsV0WdTKUy48YvLZ=w692-h384

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Why have you become so aggressive?

Okay, the video explains that Nintendo said in development they felt they wanted "communication" to be done by player action and the gamepad. With some commands tied to the dpad. That's their official reason. That's not been stated in this thread. Happy?

And this goes to show how much fucking bullshit they speak. How does player action equal communication? And the Gamepad? How? The people in the video who were at the event and heard this first hand also seemed confused as to how the gamepad can be used for communication... Also, dpad stock phrases.... Oh boy! They just get more and more idiotic!

As a driver... when I get to a round about (or island depending on which part of the country you are from) I can usually tell where the vehicles already on are going (remaining on the roundabout or pulling off) by the orientation and speed of the vehicle. This is augmented by the indicators they may (or may not) be using correctly.

The Dpad stock phrases I think is a good idea actually, if they are intelligently created (Mariokart lobby ones imo leave a bit to be desired).

Having said that, having those tools at your disposal doesn't amount to an argument against having voice chat. My best guess is that Nintendo are sucking at voice chat because they are a few generations behind. All the more reason to pop it in and run experiments on it, I would have expected a bit of progress in a year since MK8. But it's not there so.. who knows, dlc?

Splatoon is £22.95 to preorder at TheGameCollection.

Just use the code 2off20. Also 2% Quidco.

I seen that last night and came within a hairs breadth of buying it. It was in the basket, details all sorted, one click away from being final. But I stopped because the whole time I was thinking about voice chat and how I said I'd make a stand about it, then saying just buy it and bombard them on Miiverse every day about it. I really like the game and still might give in. It's the only issue preventing me from buying it.

I seen that last night and came within a hairs breadth of buying it. It was in the basket, details all sorted, one click away from being final. But I stopped because the whole time I was thinking about voice chat and how I said I'd make a stand about it, then saying just buy it and bombard them on Miiverse every day about it. I really like the game and still might give in. It's the only issue preventing me from buying it.

Since you're refusing to even contemplate buying another console, do you even have any left to play?

I probably won't bothered with voice regardless of whether there's voice chat but then I have a whole other machine of games to play. There's like six confirmed Nintendo games out this year right?

Have we actually seen Wii refuse to contemplate buying another console? I feel like I'm in a similar boat, and whilst I wasn't as tempted as Wii was by that £22 price it is certainly one that gets me thinking. However I've, similarly, decided to myself that I won't buy the game because of lack of voice chat - part protest but part because I just think I'll enjoy it much without it. For the record on other consoles, which I do not want this thread to become about, it's always an opportunity cost - and whilst I regularly contemplate buying one, I don't come down to the Nintendo board to sing too much about it.

Have we actually seen Wii refuse to contemplate buying another console? I feel like I'm in a similar boat, and whilst I wasn't as tempted as Wii was by that £22 price it is certainly one that gets me thinking. However I've, similarly, decided to myself that I won't buy the game because of lack of voice chat - part protest but part because I just think I'll enjoy it much without it. For the record on other consoles, which I do not want this thread to become about, it's always an opportunity cost - and whilst I regularly contemplate buying one, I don't come down to the Nintendo board to sing too much about it.

Yep, he outright said it a few times that there's no way he ever will.

As a driver... when I get to a round about (or island depending on which part of the country you are from) I can usually tell where the vehicles already on are going (remaining on the roundabout or pulling off) by the orientation and speed of the vehicle. This is augmented by the indicators they may (or may not) be using correctly.

The Dpad stock phrases I think is a good idea actually, if they are intelligently created (Mariokart lobby ones imo leave a bit to be desired).

Having said that, having those tools at your disposal doesn't amount to an argument against having voice chat. My best guess is that Nintendo are sucking at voice chat because they are a few generations behind. All the more reason to pop it in and run experiments on it, I would have expected a bit of progress in a year since MK8. But it's not there so.. who knows, dlc?

A roundabout is quite a specific part of an overarching gameplay of driving. Both of which have quite a finite and specific definition of the rules in addition to grand exposure to the masses. Splatoon, imo, cannot be compared at all in the same way. Firstly, it's a game we haven't played/experience entirely before(driving is more relatable), secondly it may evolve and develop emergently(I don't believe driving, or particularly roundabouts, do this) and thirdly...you still have a lot more communication at that round about, as you've mentioned. Indicators, speed, position, BASIC HUMAN INTERACTION such as eye contact, gestures AAAAAND...have you ever been at a roundabout thinking you know what someone's going to do and they haven't? I know I bloody have, and enough bloody times too! I've even made mistakes at them myself!

I've played 'with' d-pad text in both Brawl and now Smash 4. Stock phrases suck, custom phrases suck, there's much more that I wish to communicate than I can in little bits. Even with Splatoon and stock instruction phrases, I just cannot see it being specific enough to carry enough weight with it.

In the back of my mind something tickles around a game with stock phrases in multiplayer and their limitedness, but I can't quite recall what right now.

Yep, he outright said it a few times that there's no way he ever will.

Never contemplate, or never buy? :p Without getting too Serebii on you, there is a difference. To stay slightly thread relevant even - I'm sure he said he wouldn't buy Splatoon under these circumstances either, but he's come very close!

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

I edited a little more into the post before I saw yours, but regardless if so, then I stand corrected. I think it's quite an extreme view to assume someone won't even contemplate something - even if they said they wouldn't I still find it quite extreme to assume they won't! Just me though, and all's fair in love and internet. Let us not get once more caught up on Wii though! I'm sure there's plenty of you out there excited for and wanting to continue talking about how awesome this game is for you!

(it does, admittedly, still pique my own interest)

Ye can leave me out of it. I bought Splatoon less than an hour after my last comment. I'm a bit annoyed with myself for giving in so easily but the price was too good. God damn that's the worst I've ever seen the € trading against £. It's still a bit of a chance as there'll be no reviews for at least another month. Guess I'll be on Miiverse every day making my voice heard about no voice chat.

Ye can leave me out of it. I bought Splatoon less than an hour after my last comment. I'm a bit annoyed with myself for giving in so easily but the price was too good. God damn that's the worst I've ever seen the € trading against £. It's still a bit of a chance as there'll be no reviews for at least another month. Guess I'll be on Miiverse every day making my voice heard about no voice chat.

Okay, now stop pissing and moaning about it, embrace it, load up skype and let's destroy all opposition!

Okay, now stop pissing and moaning about it, embrace it, load up skype and let's destroy all opposition!

Nope I'm going to keep "pissing and moaning about it" as you put it because something has to be done about it. It's my only problem with the game. If people don't say anything or keep buying games regardless of the omission of voice chat then why would they change? It'll be my game and my right to give out. And I will. Not in a bad way, I'll just litter Miiverse with things like "Where's the voice chat?" (about 50 times a day)

It's worse than MK8 and Smash, at least they have lobby chat. This has no voice chat whatsoever.

I can't use Skype and it's retarded to have to do so. My desktop is downstairs, way too far from my Wii U. I've a pefectly good Wii U gamepad with a microphone and a headset jack going to waste.

For someone who has little interest in the game regardless of whether it has voice chat or not I can say I understand everyone's annoyance with the lack of it in-game.

As many people have said before there should be the choice. And the "Nintendo protecting children" argument is really clutching at straws - seeing as most of the children are playing on other consoles.

Be interested in your opinions as what could have been perceived as quite a solid skeptic when you get it then.

For me, it's still £3 too short. I said sub-£20 and I won't bite until it is, maybe even go for the £15 mark instead. It looks fun and lovely but I just can't see myself sticking with it for too long as I'm worried my experiences could end up too samey feelling without enough to differentiate it.

Be interested in your opinions as what could have been perceived as quite a solid skeptic when you get it then.

For me, it's still £3 too short. I said sub-£20 and I won't bite until it is, maybe even go for the £15 mark instead. It looks fun and lovely but I just can't see myself sticking with it for too long as I'm worried my experiences could end up too samey feelling without enough to differentiate it.

I'd like to support a new ip from Nintendo as it's not often that it happens. In the previews I think the developers promised that the single player would be quite lengthy. There's quite a bit of customisation and collectables it seems. It runs at a rock solid 60fps and it looks great. The online multiplayer will add a good deal of legs to the game despite my misgivings. The price works out at about just under €37. Not that long ago the exchange rate would have been that I'd pay €30. The only place that is selling it here so far is Gamestop and they're charging €60. Smyths and Argos might sell it yet but there's no guarantees and no price.

Wii U - Nintendo Treehouse: Live with Splatoon

00:00 Nintendo Direct Reactions

01:50 Battle Dojo

07:00 Single-Player Mission Mode

12:26 Splatoon amiibo & amiibo Challenge

15:22 Online Multiplayer: Turf War

29:02 Online Multiplayer: Ranked Mode - Splat Zones

More praise for Splatoon, this time from Digital Foundry.

Digital Foundry Puts Splatoon's 60fps Promise to the Test

"It's a lovely game with a look all its own"

Splatoon isn't far away, arriving in late May in both North America and Europe, and it promises a unique experience for the Wii U. Nintendo doesn't release many shooters, but the ink-based focus and GamePad controls in this one help it to stand out in the most crowded of genres.

As per the big N's policies with its major releases, we can expect a polished experience and a prioritisation of 60 frames-per-second, a rarity in the wider scene of the current console generation. Throw in the pixar-style cartoon approach to visuals that we see in a number of the Wii U's biggest games, and this is certainly eye-catching.

The tech-heads at Digital Foundry have had early access to a near-final build of Splatoon, and its write-up is certainly hugely positive. In terms of framerate the advance build hit its target of silky-smooth 60fps, with very occasional dips "mostly unnoticeable in action" and possibly due to be ironed out prior to release. It looks pretty good to us in the video below (remember to up the quality to see in 60 frames), which puts single and online multiplayer - though the latter was probably in heavily controlled conditions - to the test.

The full article is well worth a read for details on the approaches taken to produce the visuals, also confirming this one to be at 720p - that's the same as Super Mario 3D World, but below the full 1080p of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. The summary at this stage is overwhelmingly positive.

From what we've seen thus far, Splatoon holds a lot of promise. We've been disappointed by the number of unfinished games reaching the market lately, so it's a pleasant surprise to find an actual work-in-progress game in such spectacular shape some way out from its eventual release. In short, it's a beautiful new game in a genre Nintendo has typically avoided, filled with plenty of new ideas.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/04/digital_foundry_puts_splatoons_60fps_promise_to_the_test

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-first-look-at-splatoon-tech-analysis

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost