NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

tl;dr its about semantics and while they all belong with a semantic field and arguably are just different terms for the same thing, the general perception about them is different and thus do we actively try and assign a specific label to justify ownership (and should we) or should we try and 'reclaim' the word 'toy' to be suitable for adults the same way video games are.

(That wasn't really a shorter version was it?)

That was something else raised in the video. You get to a certain age where you request toys (as opposed to just being given them) and do any kids really play with them as kids do in adverts? By that age is it about ownership and identifying with the product it represents (i.e. TMNT etc).

What the amiibo is called is irrelevant to me. Are they toys, figurines or collectibles? It certainly doesn't matter to me in the slightest. If some snooty person was to look down on me for buying an amiibo because they think for some reason I shouldn't be buying what they class as a kids toys then that's their problem. But then, I care very little of what other people think of me.

I know I used to play the hell out of my toys as a kid. I loved setting up forts and battlegrounds using various bits of furniture in the house and then using my imagination to create epic battles and set pieces.

Kids these days probably just watch a YouTube channel of other kids playing with toys that they actually own. :D

It's not as if i'm sitting there, crossed legged on the floor, while making pew pew sounds and having them fight each other.

Bullshit!!

I know I used to play the hell out of my toys as a kid. I loved setting up forts and battlegrounds using various bits of furniture in the house and then using my imagination to create epic battles and set pieces.

"As a kid" = "over the weekend"

See my previous post. :D

Yeah, I wasn't quick enough to get it in the same post :)

Out of interest...did anyone actually watch it or just read my crappy description? :heh:

Out of interest...did anyone actually watch it or just read my crappy description? :heh:

I just read your description.

Just read your description :)

I'll watch it later though.

Would be interesting to hear thoughts after watching it. I quite like the Idea Channel series (channel?) and he quite often touches on video games.

Would be interesting to hear thoughts after watching it. I quite like the Idea Channel series (channel?) and he quite often touches on video games.

I watched it earlier before going to work and I must admit that I did find it interesting... particularly as I'm an amiibo collector and yet like so many others on this forum it was never my original intention. :heh:

Just three amiibo figures I said to myself, just Samus Link and Mario... oh but then I must have Kirby as well... Pikachu seems pretty well-made, also I can't leave out Donley Kong! :indeed:

Before I knew it, I had them all and I wanted more... :blank:

Part of it was the unavailability of certain figures I'm sure but now that they are readily available I don't even have that excuse anymore!

My name is Sam and I'm... an amiiboholic. :(

I have been collecting things for many years though, especially game related merchandise so I see it as an extension of that, plus there are many amiibo figures of Nintendo characters which just haven't existed in physical form until now so I do enjoy owning them and playing with them in a game-enabled sense.

Plus when I have the complete Super Smash Bros. set I will do a feature on them for the site as promised, because if I can't arrange ALL of them so that they fit in one large picture just like in the Photo Mode in the game then there simply is no point to me buying them all really, it has to be done! :awesome:

Watched it. Will take me a few videos to get used to that guys voice i think, he comes across a bit smug and superior, but i think it's his elongated vowels at the ends of sentences that does that.

As for content. I mean, it's interesting and I like the level of research and reference points, I guess most of it was just really obvious stuff about why people collect and such, and some of the other things I disagreed with, I don't think watching cartoons is as acceptable as collecting figures personally, I think the people who would laugh or think it was weird to have "toys" would also think it was weird to watch cartoons.

As for the amiibo thing, bridging the gap between collector and consumer, it's quite and interesting though, again, not sure I truly buy into it, I reckon most people who buy amiibo are collectors who aren't too fussed about it's uses too much, and even if it was bought by both, I mean, aren't action figures bought by both too? I don't think it says too much really.

It was interesting though.

Watched it. Will take me a few videos to get used to that guys voice i think, he comes across a bit smug and superior, but i think it's his elongated vowels at the ends of sentences that does that.

As for content. I mean, it's interesting and I like the level of research and reference points, I guess most of it was just really obvious stuff about why people collect and such, and some of the other things I disagreed with, I don't think watching cartoons is as acceptable as collecting figures personally, I think the people who would laugh or think it was weird to have "toys" would also think it was weird to watch cartoons.

As for the amiibo thing, bridging the gap between collector and consumer, it's quite and interesting though, again, not sure I truly buy into it, I reckon most people who buy amiibo are collectors who aren't too fussed about it's uses too much, and even if it was bought by both, I mean, aren't action figures bought by both too? I don't think it says too much really.

It was interesting though.

I can see where you're coming from but I like Mike, he seems quite down to earth. He even started a recent video with "so there was another version of this video we published that was super incorrect" and they kept a copy of it, think a lot of people would just delete it. I like his general energy. Worth checking out some of his other videos.

In regards to cartoons... The Simpsons, Family Guy, hell even Pixar. Although again it depends on definition (cartoon and animation are and can be used interchangeably, but some people may see cartoon as Saturday morning type of thing).

No one picking up the new wave or has everyone lost interest now?

Nah, i'm still getting them. I got Ryu on Wednesday. ROB and Roy arrived yesterday.

The box for Ryu was pretty beat up and had zero bubble wrap/protection in it. Poor showing from Nintendo UK store. I just used that one as my open one and will pick up another one when next i'm in GAME or Grainger.

No one picking up the new wave or has everyone lost interest now?

Got both the smash ones and the animal crossing ones. I'm all in on these fuckers, I stop when Nintendo stop...

Or my bank tells me to stop...

Nah, i'm still getting them. I got Ryu on Wednesday. ROB and Roy arrived yesterday.

Yup, same. Not sure why they sent Ryu early but whatevs.

My Ryu was packed fine, but they put Roy and R.O.B in a massive box which I actually thought would be Poken Tournament since I got the controller bundle.

Yup, same. Not sure why they sent Ryu early but whatevs.

My Ryu was packed fine, but they put Roy and R.O.B in a massive box which I actually thought would be Poken Tournament since I got the controller bundle.

Yeah, my Roy and ROB came in a huge box with a crazy amount of padding. They probably over compensated after giving Ryu none whatsoever. :D

The box for Ryu was pretty beat up and had zero bubble wrap/protection in it. Poor showing from Nintendo UK store. I just used that one as my open one and will pick up another one when next i'm in GAME or Grainger.

Hmm I ordered Roy the same time as Ryu and ROB...

No "Okey Dokey!" confirmation for Roy for some reason though, I definitely pre-ordered in time, complete mystey as the other two arrived plus Pokken and the controller.

Got Roy and Ryu through at home, gonna hold off on the rest of the Animal Crossing ones for a bit and maybe grab them next month. Glad the train has started to slow down now - super surprised they didn't announce Slippy and Peppy to go with Falco and Fox or some figurines to go with Pokken.

I got Timmy / Tommy (really good quality - one of my favourites!) and Kapp'n yesterday. I had preordered Rover too, but changed my mind at the last minute. I'm sure it'll be cheaper in the future anyway.

My latest Samsh one have arrived and I'm waiting on picking up the AC ones from Game who are holding my preorder whilst I'm away.

With the Smash amiibo line just about over, I was wondering what Nintendo would be doing to squeeze more cash out of collectors.

well-there-it-is.gif