NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Do Nintendo still have what it takes to produce hardware?

Yeah, I'm really not seeing how the GamePad adds to the Metroid game. You could just do that online.

Yes, it could be done online, but I get endless satisfaction from playing NintendoLand, and especially the games Metroid Blast, Mario Chase, Zelda, etc., with my son and his cousins, local multiplayer, with the Gamepad utilising asynchronous multiplayer, with zero lag. The look of happiness, enjoyment and general pleasure on all our faces is priceless, and that feeling of asynchronous local multiplayer, not knowing what your local competitor is doing, cannot be replicated with such ease of application, zero lag, etc., on any other existing console

If you don't have enough friends over, or a family to enjoy this I can understand your requirement for online, but for me the Gamepad totally revolutionised local multiplayer and continues to do so. The Gamepad adds everything to a local social situation. I just wish Nintendo did this more frequently, and added online as well.

Yes, it could be done online, but I get endless satisfaction from playing NintendoLand, and especially the games Metroid Blast, Mario Chase, Zelda, etc., with my son and his cousins, local multiplayer, with the Gamepad utilising asynchronous multiplayer, with zero lag. The look of happiness, enjoyment and general pleasure on all our faces is priceless, and that feeling of asynchronous local multiplayer, not knowing what your local competitor is doing, cannot be replicated with such ease of application, zero lag, etc., on any other existing console

If you don't have enough friends over, or a family to enjoy this I can understand your requirement for online, but for me the Gamepad totally revolutionised local multiplayer and continues to do so. The Gamepad adds everything to a local social situation. I just wish Nintendo did this more frequently, and added online as well.

Amen brother.

Same can be said when I play with my girlfriend. Its just seamless, largely intelligent and... fun.

When my mates are over (all 32, 33 and older), all they want to do is: Let's play the candy game!!! (Animal Crossing Sweet Day)

Hilarious, absolutely crazy stuff :bowdown:

Couldn't the game be done split-screen?

Yes, in the same way that an online game still works without voice chat, I suppose.

Or no, in the sense that some of these games do depend on the Gamepad's secrecy (like Luigi's Mansion, where the ghosts are supposed to be invisible).

Edited by Jonnas

These concepts just don't sound good enough or deep enough to build a whole console around. A whole console around a mini-game concept.

you can play COD split screen, but tv and gamepad is infinitely better as you can't see the other player. That right there is another massive benefit to the gamepad. Once you've experienced this you will never want to play split screen again. Much the same as when you first play Tiger Woods with Wiimotes.

Honestly! Some people on here won't be satisfied until the gamepad fucking cures cancer. It has numerous benefits, however small which add up to make it a very useful addition to gaming.

Can somebody/anybody explain to me the argument that Wii U is overpriced because of the gamepad and justify it by saying a PS4/Vita or XB1/Tablet can do the same thing albeit at quadruple the price.

Can somebody/anybody explain to me the argument that Wii U is overpriced because of the gamepad and justify it by saying a PS4/Vita or XB1/Tablet can do the same thing albeit at quadruple the price.

Probably because a tablet and Vita are optional, whereas you are having to pay a higher price for the Wii U, even if you don't care for the pad. Pretty much the same as the Xbox One and Kinect situation.

I've said many times in the past that the off TV play justifies the Gamepads existence to me, but then I like the Kinect features on my One. Guess I'm just easily pleased. :D

Probably because a tablet and Vita are optional, whereas you are having to pay a higher price for the Wii U, even if you don't care for the pad. Pretty much the same as the Xbox One and Kinect situation.

I've said many times in the past that the off TV play justifies the Gamepads existence to me, but then I like the Kinect features on my One. Guess I'm just easily pleased. :D

Higher price than what? It's the cheapest current gen console by a stretch.

you can play COD split screen, but tv and gamepad is infinitely better as you can't see the other player. That right there is another massive benefit to the gamepad. Once you've experienced this you will never want to play split screen again. Much the same as when you first play Tiger Woods with Wiimotes.

The person with the GamePad can easily see what the other player is doing, but also has a tiny low-resolution screen. Why would anyone want to play local multiplayer like that? (one exception to that is when the GamePad allows an extra player).

Golf games are miles better with buttons and no motion controls.

The person with the GamePad can easily see what the other player is doing, but also had a tiny low-resolution screen. Why would anyone want to play local multiplayer like that? (one exception to that is when the GamePad allows an extra player).

Golf games are miles better with buttons and no motion controls.

The Gamepad isn't a "tiny low res screen" really though is it..? It's very good quality, so much so that I play CoD entirely on the Gamepad, I don't use the TV!

Meaning if it wasn't for the GamePad the console would be a lower price, hence people having to pay a higher price because of its inclusion.

The Gamepad isn't a "tiny low res screen" really though is it..?

I wouldn't want to play a proper game on my Nexus 7's screen, and that's much higher resolution and slightly larger. I also don't want to play any of the (too many) PS3 ports that the Vita ended up with.

And rightfully so when it isn't futureproofed.

Honestly! Some people on here won't be satisfied until the gamepad fucking cures cancer. It has numerous benefits, however small which add up to make it a very useful addition to gaming.

Actually, Xbox One/PS4 and tablet can't really do the same thing as the GamePad. Due to the way it connects and the latency, it can't be used to properly control a game and requires pausing to use it.

It is typically used on titles with companion apps just as a database repository or sometimes a map, but it's not interactive with the game often

And rightfully so when it isn't futureproofed.

Define this statement please.

As far as I am aware, every console Nintendo has offered has been "future-proofed" with above-average Nintendo games.

Define this statement please.

As far as I am aware, every console Nintendo has offered has been "future-proofed" with above-average Nintendo games.

Exactly, if all you can play on it are Nintendo games, then really it shouldn't be commanding the same price. Which it isn't, so that's fine.

My living room has two TVs and two PS3s. Personally, anything less than that is disappointing.

The argument is that games manufacturers already assume you have a television, so why no assume the same about smartphones/tablets? I don't know a single person without access to a smartphone or a tablet (and most of them have more than one).

The companion apps don't carry much latency, either. They carry the same amount of latency as any online game; so if you think they're impossible, then you're saying the same for any game with an online component. And there are plenty of examples of interactivity despite Serebii's constantly ignoring examples and saying otherwise.

...And they don't require pausing to use it. :indeed:

My living room has two TVs and two PS3s. Personally, anything less than that is disappointing.

The argument is that games manufacturers already assume you have a television, so why no assume the same about smartphones/tablets? I don't know a single person without access to a smartphone or a tablet (and most of them have more than one).

The companion apps don't carry much latency, either. They carry the same amount of latency as any online game; so if you think they're impossible, then you're saying the same for any game with an online component. And there are plenty of examples of interactivity despite Serebii's constantly ignoring examples and saying otherwise.

...And they don't require pausing to use it. :indeed:

You're telling me that companion apps can bring the same level of interactivity as the GamePad functions in Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, NintendoLand, Lego City, Game & Wario etc.?

Ok. I don't throw the word delusional around often, but...

It is disappointing though, because the companion app you get with WatchDogs (like for the city races) is exactly the type of dual screen gameplay experiences we thought the Wii U would be getting exclusively on the console. Then we just didn't get anything. Then it went multiplatform.

It's like an expansion of the idea they started in the ZombiU competitive multiplayer.

You're telling me that companion apps can bring the same level of interactivity as the GamePad functions in Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, NintendoLand, Lego City, Game & Wario etc.?

Ok. I don't throw the word delusional around often, but...

'it's not interactive with the game often' - These are your words. ;)

Off the top of my head - Watch Dogs, The Division, Need for Speed, Beyond Two Souls, Metal Gear Sold Ground Zeros, Dead Rising 3, Assassin's Creed 4, Warframe. All games that include second-screen interactivity to different levels of interactivity.

Watch Dogs' application looks great, as does The Division; they're both a step beyond the current crop, the techs implementation is constantly being improved upon (Need for Speed is about as basic as it gets). I'm not delusional; you're willfully ignorant.

I never said that companion apps didn't exist. All I said was that the activity isn't on par with the interactivity that exists on Wii U games, and you proved this with your list, so thank you.

What? 'it's not interactive with the game often' - These are your words.

Those are all interactive with their games. Just because they don't require the game be controlled by them doesn't make them not 'on par'. You're an idiot. You use vague descriptions to get away with the fact you have little to no basis for your argument. 'activity', 'interactivity'; as if there is some assumption that the second-screen the Wii U provides is without doubt better when in fact it's quite the opposite - even detrimental to games like Mario Kart.

Edited by Daft

So you're picking 7 words out my entire statement and thus you are deriving a point contrary to the one I was making and you are arguing against me for it?

Ok, cool :) Good to know!

Also, I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to talk down to me. Don't think for a second that you're capable of that.

Edit: For what it's worth, out of respect for Ashley and this forum, I've put you on my ignore list for a while. All you do is antagonise me and several others, so it's for the best.

Edited by Serebii

Ding dong, the witch is dead.

Anyway, @londragon I get your point. And that sounds very cool. But, I don't think it's enough to justify a console around.

Sign in to follow this