NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Do Nintendo still have what it takes to produce hardware?

Inspired by both Blade and Kav's posts in one of the E3 threads: Do you think Nintendo can still produce good hardware? Would it really be best for consumers if Nintendo went third party? Would it benefit Nintendo?

My confidence in Nintendo has been knocked. Whilst it was a difficult situation at the time for the Wii to be behind the competition, a lot of us accepted it. There was enough of a difference with the Wiimote to compensate for the lack of power. This time around, I'm not convinced. I would have liked the Wii U to be much closer to the competition.

Even then, what kind of console would it be? To me, Nintendo seem much too focused on the controller of their machines. Again, it was acceptable with the Wiimote, but they seem to have crossed the line, in my opinion. Why does it feel like that every Nintendo machine from the DS onwards needs to have a gimmick? Do Nintendo have it in them to just make a straight-forward gaming machine, with the software making the difference?

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Nintendo going third party is a horrible option as it would result in them having to scale back and rely solely on games and that would result in annualisation and Nintendo just being a Mario/Zelda/Pokémon factory (don't say that's what they are until after E3. Trust me.), and that's not good for anyone. Their output would diminish in both quantity, and even possibly quality due to the morale hit the redundancies would have given.

Nintendo is perfectly capable of creating hardware and using it beautifully. Look at Mario Kart 8. What Nintendo need to just shift is their priority with their hardware. Nintendo goes for efficiency rather than power. Look at the power needed to run the Wii U and everything. It's astonishingly low and can output some damned beautiful stuff.

Nintendo have had TWO years of financial loss. TWO. It's way too soon to think they're in trouble and need to scrap everything. Their competitors have had much bigger losses for much longer a duration.

Let me put it one way. In the late 90s, the GameBoy was on its last legs. It had sold around 64 million units. Pundits were saying it was on the way out, and so was Nintendo, then a little game came out, you may have heard of it, Pokémon. The GameBoy was given new life and went onto sell ~119 million units before it was discontinued in 2001. This was despite competitors being more powerful.

Never count Nintendo out. Wii U is struggling, sure, but the core focus is about the games, and the games push the system. I am willing to bet that, this time next year, we'll all be discussing the decent (but not amazing) turnaround the Wii U has had. Mark my words.

The thing Nintendo needs to do is quite simple and can be put into four words: MARKET THE BLOODY THING.

Edited by Serebii

It's not that I think they're in trouble or that they should do it for financial reasons, I don't care about that when I say I want them to go 3rd/2nd Party. My wanting them to go 3rd/2nd Party simply boils down to them giving us out-dated tech in their hardware and that they have out-dated views towards gaming/the gamers of today. For these reasons I don't want them creating anymore consoles.

For me, they're still one of the best around at making great games that play brilliantly. It's their attitude towards online gaming and us gamers that play online that irks me. Not giving us full, in-game voice-chat in MK8 and I'm betting it'll be similar on Smash Bros. Not having key titles online that are multiplayer centric, Mario, Nintendoland... Pikmin would've been great online too!

They create consoles that alienate 3rd Parties, in that it's not viable for 3rd Parties to release cross platform games on the machine because they'd have to spend more money than they would on a straightforward port. As a result we get droughts because they can't release games at a pace at which satisfies... when's the next big WiiU release after Mk8..? It's ages off!

The lies they fed us before the console was released was a bit too much, I feel nothing but let down by them. "Online is the air that we gamers breathe. We want to give you as much of that air as possible.", "We have learned from our mistakes and we will have a release schedule of games so we won't have droughts like we have had."... the release schedule is dire and their online attempts are half-baked or lacking completely. They are no longer up to scratch as a hardware manufacturer.

As long as this isn't just another "let's rip Nintendo a new one" thread and takes all that from most of the other threads into this one thread I'm all for it...

I think it's borderline ridiculous to even suggest it personally. The initial argument is the Wii nailed it and got it right, so it was great, and this is struggling so it's poor..... Both were risks, one paid off, one, currently hasn't... But personally. I'm glad a company is taking risks. Xbox and ps are borderline identical, a third one would be too much...

Woud I prefer Nintendo to be the most powerful again, yeah? I have money. But understand why they aren't and think it's good there is a lower priced option out there. I don't particularly want to pay to play online either.

And I think all the evidence suggests Nintendo are learning. Golf and mario karts online look incredible. Maybe my ignorance, but do any other online games offer timed tournaments and such you can enter and leagues and such? Donkey kong and NES remix have nice features. Miiverse is a great idea. And you never know, maybe e3 will show gamepad and NFC games which really show the hardware off.

I just think it crazy soon to suggest these things. And it's not going to happen for many many years!

And still think the other consoles are missing out on a lot more than the Wii u is!

Where I disagree with a lot of people, is that I don't think the Wii was justified at all. No offence intended, but I feel it's defended just because it was successful. Personally, I was absolutely gutted when I saw what Nintendo's next machine was going to be like compared to the GameCube and, though I enjoyed some of the games, to me the Wii Remote never, ever justified the overall form of the machine.

To me, the Wii U is better than the Wii and has the potential for much, much better games - HD graphics, a big technical leap from GC/Wii and the best Zelda control scheme back (Wind Waker's). It's not that the Wii U is bad, it's just that it doesn't aim at the casual audience as well as the Wii or the core audience as well as the GameCube, hence its lack of analogue triggers and decent-but-uncompetitive hardware.

So in answer to the question, I still trust Nintendo's technical people as much as ever to assemble a good console. They just need direction from their president to aim a bit higher.

Thing is Nintendo shouldn't be "learning" they are the veteran out of the console makers and therefore they should be leading the pack in console development.

I love Nintendo games. I love the games on the Wii U. But it is their attitude towards their home consoles that stinks. The release schedule is just dire, the 3rd party support is atrocious and their online policies are quite frankly awful.

Don't get me wrong i'm enjoying the exclusives on the Wii U but for me I wouldn't be too upset if they go 2nd/3rd party. The only possible thing that is putting me off is the fear that the quality may drop as they would no longer produce games to sell systems.

What is their awful attitude to gamers what you and Kav speak of? They have been awful online, but like I keep saying. The recent efforts are HUGE improvements. And they may be veterans but people/companies still make mistakes. Any was in an awful position after a year or two of the ps3, but they pulled it around. Fact is, it's all about judgements and second guesses, Nintendo far more than the others take bigger risks - ps4 and Xbox are just bigger and better really, all social stuff people expected etc, but nothing risky. Nothing wrong with that of course, but Nintendo struck gold with Wii, and tried to do the same thing, it didn't work, pick yourself up and go again.

But even in this "failure" there's still some awesome games, and more to come. Nintendo are realising the casuals have gone, they have said this is the year for the gamers, they want to show off what they can do with the gamepad, they are making partnerships for more games, they are improving their online services, they embracing the gaming community with the smash tournamentents and the tournaments in kart and golf.... It's all positive signs in my eyes!

And yes. Nintendos games won't get BETTER on other systems, but they could easily get worse. But also, it's not going to happen!

Thing is Nintendo shouldn't be "learning" they are the veteran out of the console makers and therefore they should be leading the pack in console development.

I love Nintendo games. I love the games on the Wii U. But it is their attitude towards their home consoles that stinks. The release schedule is just dire, the 3rd party support is atrocious and their online policies are quite frankly awful.

Don't get me wrong i'm enjoying the exclusives on the Wii U but for me I wouldn't be too upset if they go 2nd/3rd party. The only possible thing that is putting me off is the fear that the quality may drop as they would no longer produce games to sell systems.

I was watching their E3 conferences recently, and a repeated word across them when the DS and Wii were announced and released was "disruption".

Nintendo want to disrupt the industry, not just do the same thing as everyone else. Look at the Wii, that caused huge disruption and caused Sony to come out with the Sixaxis and Move, and Microsoft with the Kinect because of it. The DS also disrupted that market.

They wanted to try again by changing how games are played and interaction between user and games in the core space with the Wii U. This attempt at disruption failed, as do many risks from time to time. It doesn't mean they're incapable of doing hardware.

Under Iwata and Co I feel like we will just get more gimmicks and not a console which suits my needs. The wii u has really dented my confidence in Nintendo and there will be no day 1 purchase next time around because of so.

Nintendo going third party is a horrible option as it would result in them having to scale back and rely solely on games and that would result in annualisation and Nintendo just being a Mario/Zelda/Pokémon factory (don't say that's what they are until after E3. Trust me.), and that's not good for anyone. Their output would diminish in both quantity, and even possibly quality due to the morale hit the redundancies would have given.

Nintendo is perfectly capable of creating hardware and using it beautifully. Look at Mario Kart 8. What Nintendo need to just shift is their priority with their hardware. Nintendo goes for efficiency rather than power. Look at the power needed to run the Wii U and everything. It's astonishingly low and can output some damned beautiful stuff.

Nintendo have had TWO years of financial loss. TWO. It's way too soon to think they're in trouble and need to scrap everything. Their competitors have had much bigger losses for much longer a duration.

Let me put it one way. In the late 90s, the GameBoy was on its last legs. It had sold around 64 million units. Pundits were saying it was on the way out, and so was Nintendo, then a little game came out, you may have heard of it, Pokémon. The GameBoy was given new life and went onto sell ~119 million units before it was discontinued in 2001. This was despite competitors being more powerful.

Never count Nintendo out. Wii U is struggling, sure, but the core focus is about the games, and the games push the system. I am willing to bet that, this time next year, we'll all be discussing the decent (but not amazing) turnaround the Wii U has had. Mark my words.

The thing Nintendo needs to do is quite simple and can be put into four words: MARKET THE BLOODY THING.

You've missed the point of this thread, entirely. As always.

Do Nintendo have the ability to make hardware without gimping it? Well,let's take a look:

N64: Got destroyed by the Playstation because they used cartridges. 3rd parties flocked to Sony where loyalties were much cheaper (20% of what Nintendo charged) and where games weren't hampered by storage. The 64 bombed in Japan where RPG's were huge but all big RPG's went to playstation. At one point 90% of PS owners in Japan owned FF7. That says it all.

Gamecube: A beautiful technological achievement. Literally amazing. Unfortunately, storage was an issue, the control had buttons missing (select, L1, clickable analogue sticks) and most importantly, it was bloody purple. The shape didn't help; a Cube didn't look as slick as 99% of other devices launched at the time. Nintendo's best console imo, ruined by stupid decisions.

GBA: Not so bad in England as the weather is shit but if you lived in America you could barely see the screen as it was so dark. Of course, this was eventually fixed by the SP.

Wii: Well, it sold a lot but let's face it..the hardware was poor. The online in particular was laughable. We got some good games out of it though.

Wii U: All over the place tbh. Underpowered compared to competition and difficult to port PS3/360 games to due to different design. Gambled on a controller which they don't know how to use which has an awful looking screen. Screen doesn't match up to tablet/phone screens which they justify because 'it's better for games' but I can't think of a single genre that would require a stylus over a finger for accuracy other than a RTS and I doubt we'll ever seen one on the Wii U. Also, the online is hit and miss..still missing basic features and it's not as integrated into the system as say, LIVE or PSN.

Can they still build good hardware? Yeah, maybe. They should never go 3rd party but they seriously need to design some appealing hardware for a change. The fact that the SNES was the last time they designed a system that everyone, from developers to customers, loved from day 1 says it all. Drop the search for the 'magic bullet' and focus on the long term by building something people want.

Do Nintendo have the ability to make hardware without gimping it? Well,let's take a look:

N64: Got destroyed by the Playstation because they used cartridges. 3rd parties flocked to Sony where loyalties were much cheaper (20% of what Nintendo charged) and where games weren't hampered by storage. The 64 bombed in Japan where RPG's were huge but all big RPG's went to playstation. At one point 90% of PS owners in Japan owned FF7. That says it all.

Gamecube: A beautiful technological achievement. Literally amazing. Unfortunately, storage was an issue, the control had buttons missing (select, L1, clickable analogue sticks) and most importantly, it was bloody purple. The shape didn't help; a Cube didn't look as slick as 99% of other devices launched at the time. Nintendo's best console imo, ruined by stupid decisions.

GBA: Not so bad in England as the weather is shit but if you lived in America you could barely see the screen as it was so dark. Of course, this was eventually fixed by the SP.

Wii: Well, it sold a lot but let's face it..the hardware was poor. The online in particular was laughable. We got some good games out of it though.

Wii U: All over the place tbh. Underpowered compared to competition and difficult to port PS3/360 games to due to different design. Gambled on a controller which they don't know how to use which has an awful looking screen. Screen doesn't match up to tablet/phone screens which they justify because 'it's better for games' but I can't think of a single genre that would require a stylus over a finger for accuracy other than a RTS and I doubt we'll ever seen one on the Wii U. Also, the online is hit and miss..still missing basic features and it's not as integrated into the system as say, LIVE or PSN.

Can they still build good hardware? Yeah, maybe. They should never go 3rd party but they seriously need to design some appealing hardware for a change. The fact that the SNES was the last time they designed a system that everyone, from developers to customers, loved from day 1 says it all. Drop the search for the 'magic bullet' and focus on the long term by building something people want.

I didn't miss the point. I was pointing out that they do have what it takes and it's silly to assume otherwise.

I didn't miss the point. I was pointing out that they do have what it takes and it's silly to assume otherwise.
What have you shown that demonstrates that? other than saying Nintendo know how to get the most from hardware... which they could soon learn to do on other consoles.

Good post dude.

Not sure why the 'disrupt the industry' should mean go it alone.

Talking to third party developers and asking them what they want and require isn't a sign of weakness but a company who listens to important stakeholders. Doesn't mean they do what they say but no harm in getting ideas from those you want to make games for the system.

Without doing that I can't see how Nintendo would produce a console which gamers and developers want as the current leadership is out of touch on what people want.

Oh and I should say that I agree with @Fierce_LiNk in that my confidence with Nintendo has been rocked. Every few years I'm delighted with the software (as I will be this year) but the last time I loved the software was back in 07 when Mario Galaxy and Prime came out. Given I've always been left wanting more from their hardware, I don't know if I'll be in next time round. Having become an adult, I can't guarantee allegiance to any manufacture and will simply purchase a console that will fulfil my limited spare time.

Also @Serebii you say we should be impressed by the whole 'low power usage over total output thing' but that means nothing to me. I don't play games 24 hours a day so I don't care how big my bills are.

It would be interesting to know why Nintendo think the wii u has not been the success they hoped and why they think the PS4 has been such a hit?

If they truly answered these then next time around could be better.

It would be interesting to know why Nintendo think the wii u has not been the success they hoped and why they think the PS4 has been such a hit?

Well they blamed the Gamecube failing on consumers who were buying the wrong types of games so who knows.

That said, they'll never go 3rd party. Although not because it would turn them into an annual franchise making machine like it was posted above (actually, it would be the opposite of that as they wouldn't be trying to sell hardware).

As far as I see it, Nintendo have three options for their next gen machine.

1) Straight up competition

To fight Sony and Microsoft head-on. A powerful console with all the features of the competition, with a similar achitecture. Perhaps even a bit more powerful. Nothing to scare off any developers whatsoever.

Problem here is that Nintendo already have scared third parties off.

2) Portable-stationary hybrid

What everyone's been talking about for quite some time: a portable console you can hook up to your TV and get full HD graphics. A machine which supports wired network and external controllers. Perhaps the machine should utilise a dock for stationary use, containing a power supply, HDMI and an extra graphics card to enable it to pull off higher resolution and other high-end things that would be overkill on a tiny portable screen.

3) Dedicated games machine

To put things simply: use every single megaherts of processing power and kilobyte of RAM for games. No online browser, no Netflix, no nothing. When you have a game inserted, it will boot up straight away when you start your machine, if you start it without, you get to choose whether you want to start an eShop game, enter eShop or change options (which are limited to system language, screen aspect ratio and player profile).

An interresting idea I've had for quite some time is to utilise solid state cartridges. Why? Well, solid state technology has dropped in price. It's a medium where storage space can be increased with time. Also, such cartridges could make it possible for players to store patches and DLC right on the cartridge. Also, it would just make the console seem different.

Thus Nintendo will be able to make something that's very user friendly and could give a high gaming bang for the buck.

Problem is: will third parties want to support a console which would work differently from the competition? And will consumers want such a machine, or do people still believe that cartridges are inherently smaller than discs?

I realised something recently that may or not be a reason, but I found it interesting nonetheless:

Wii U - designed and made by a Japanese company with very little non-Japanese input. Lagging in sales.

Xbox One - designed and made by an American company with a smidge of outside input. Good sales so far, but likely to follow its predecessors and not do well in Japan.

PS4 - designed and made as a joint venture between a Japanese company and a Western individual and has the best worldwide success (sales in all territories have been good, but obviously certain ones stronger than others).

Obviously many other factors, but it chewed on my brain for a bit.

If you're asking if they have what it takes to compete directly against the titans of the "traditional" industry (Microsoft and Sony) then the answer is simply no. That's exactly why they sidestepped them with the Wii to begin with.

The only way that they're ever going to be able to carry on is if they continue to move to the beat of their own drum (successfully the next time!)

And besides, Nintendo have always prided themselves on introducing new forms of gameplay with each subsequent console and all of their games are designed around what new gameplay possibilities are brought to the table by each piece of new hardware. That's what has kept their IPs fresh for so long.

We've gone beyond the point where raw horsepower alone could fuel new forms of gameplay, so hardware "gimmicks" are now the only way that they can continue to innovate in that same fashion as before. Their entire development culture is facilitated around exploiting the unique features of their hardware (in overt and subtle ways); that's what Iwata means when he talks about their "integrated hardware and software business".

You take away the Nintendo hardware and you lose the Nintendo software too. Put simply they have no choice but to carry on making hardware if they wish to continue to produce the software they want to. In order to survive though, their hardware must stand out on its own and differentiate itself from the competition though as they simply cannot win in a head on fight.

If you're asking if they have what it takes to compete directly against the titans of the "traditional" industry (Microsoft and Sony) then the answer is simply no. That's exactly why they sidestepped them with the Wii to begin with.

The only way that they're ever going to be able to carry on is if they continue to move to the beat of their own drum (successfully the next time!)

And besides, Nintendo have always prided themselves on introducing new forms of gameplay with each subsequent console and all of their games are designed around what new gameplay possibilities are brought to the table by each piece of new hardware. That's what has kept their IPs fresh for so long.

We've gone beyond the point where raw horsepower alone could fuel new forms of gameplay, so hardware "gimmicks" are now the only way that they can continue to innovate in that same fashion as before. Their entire development culture is facilitated around exploiting the unique features of their hardware (in overt and subtle ways); that's what Iwata means when he talks about their "integrated hardware and software business".

You take away the Nintendo hardware and you lose the Nintendo software too. Put simply they have no choice but to carry on making hardware if they wish to continue to produce the software they want to. In order to survive though, their hardware must stand out on its own and differentiate itself from the competition though as they simply cannot win in a head on fight.

Why can't they compete against Sony or Microsoft? I know Iwata has a defeatist attitude but I'm still waiting for a convincing reason why they can't compete?

I don't think they want to go head to head. So why not just go fully "blue ocean" so to speak? The Wii U is trying to be red, blue, green, purple ocean all at the same time, and it's not working, so why bother? The Wii wasn't trying to be a compromise, and it worked just because of that, i.e. because it was different enough and had a lower price. All they need is a clear vision of what they're going for, a main selling point for the (next) console. For the ps4 and xbOne, it's power, latest blockbuster games, good online, gameplay streaming etc. For the Wii it was motion controls, affordable price, different experience. For the Wii U, it's the...tablet? A separate screen for inventories / maps? Nintendo games with some of the multiplatforms with some of the features, with some kind of online play every now and then? Exactly...it's all over the place. No wonder they seem confused about how to market the console, they don't have a clear picture of what the console's supposed to be about either!

Why can't they compete against Sony or Microsoft? I know Iwata has a defeatist attitude but I'm still waiting for a convincing reason why they can't compete?

I can't be arsed to repeat all the same arguments I've said over the years a thousand times but in short...

They can't compete in terms of money hatting, not by a long shot.

Their brand is utterly toxic to the 12-25 KGOY market that MS, Sony, the gaming media and most 3rd parties cater directly to.

Their legacy carries with it so much baggage that they could never hope to shake off the grudges that the major 3rd parties and other key stakeholders (large audience subsets, the gaming media etc) hold against them.

Their skill set is utterly incompatible with the typical "AAA" way of making games or the popular genres that dominate this audience.

Their very way of making games and their desired vision of the future is completely at odds with what the rest of the industry wants to see happen.

The list is endless and there's nothing more for me to say that I haven't said a million times before. So I'm just gonna call it quits. There's nothing more that I can really say that will ever convince you at this point so why fucking bother? My word has no fucking value at this point and I'm bored of the same old cyclical arguments. Just put me on your ignore list and be done with it.

Edited by Dcubed

I can't be arsed to repeat all the same arguments I've said over the years a thousand times but in short...

They can't compete in terms of money hatting, not by a long shot.

Their brand is utterly toxic to the 12-25 KGOY market that MS, Sony, the gaming media and most 3rd parties cater directly to.

Their legacy carries with it so much baggage that they could never hope to shake off the grudges that the major 3rd parties and other key stakeholders (large audience subsets, the gaming media etc) hold against them.

Their skill set is utterly incompatible with the typical "AAA" way of making games or the popular genres that dominate this audience.

Their very way of making games and their desired vision of the future is completely at odds with what the rest of the industry wants to see happen.

The list is endless and there's nothing more for me to say that I haven't said a million times before. So I'm just gonna call it quits. There's nothing more that I can really say that will ever convince you at this point so why fucking bother? My word has no fucking value at this point and I'm bored of the same old cyclical arguments. Just put me on your ignore list and be done with it.

Dude bill up a ziggy and chill the fcuk out.

I think it's hilarious how people justify the Wii and slate the Wii u.... They were both risks, both with a similar mentality, one was successful one wasn't... Just shows certain people are absolutely blinded by success/sales... If the Wii bombed people would be saying exactly the same thing...

Also, people get confused, and it weakens their argument when they flit from arguing about nintendos competence to make hardware, to create success, what they actually want etc. be much better and people wouldn't appear so... I don't know the word, if they had one clear thought and went with it!

It's just bizarre this conversation comes up time and time again... It isn't happening. It shouldn't happen. There's no reason for it to happen. The industry would be far worse off if it did happen. Consumers would be worse if it does happen. So why do people bang on about it?

People say the family crowd have gone... Well I agree in the main. But this Xmas, when it's £199, with mario kart - family's will pick it up. Isn't that a GOOD thing? Better than the ONLY options being over £300 with monthly online subscriptions to play online!

Why do people want three identical machines? 2 is one too many.

I think it's hilarious how people justify the Wii and slate the Wii u.... They were both risks, both with a similar mentality, one was successful one wasn't... Just shows certain people are absolutely blinded by success/sales... If the Wii bombed people would be saying exactly the same thing...

Also, people get confused, and it weakens their argument when they flit from arguing about nintendos competence to make hardware, to create success, what they actually want etc. be much better and people wouldn't appear so... I don't know the word, if they had one clear thought and went with it!

It's just bizarre this conversation comes up time and time again... It isn't happening. It shouldn't happen. There's no reason for it to happen. The industry would be far worse off if it did happen. Consumers would be worse if it does happen. So why do people bang on about it?

People say the family crowd have gone... Well I agree in the main. But this Xmas, when it's £199, with mario kart - family's will pick it up. Isn't that a GOOD thing? Better than the ONLY options being over £300 with monthly online subscriptions to play online!

Why do people want three identical machines? 2 is one too many.

I have no idea who you're aiming this post at or what half of that meant, but referring to that last part, if Nintendo's hardware isn't comparable to other stuff on the market it won't get 3rd party software. Unless you're saying you're okay with that? Because you've said before that you want 3rd party support? And without 3rd party support their consoles won't sell too great in the west because their franchises don't appeal to western culture as much as Japan.

On paper the XBO is much weaker than the PS4 but it still gets the same support.

Of course if you're saying that you just want a box to play Nintendo games on than fair enough :) They could release a box for £99 and people would be happy!

Sign in to follow this