N-Europe

The Wavebird Appreciation Thread

wave_bird_12.jpg

A feel an urge to remember this legendary controller - In my opinion, the creation of the Wavebird was at the pinnacle of Nintendo hardware manufacturing.

I can remember playing Pikmin and testing its range by going out of the room and asking my sister to see if I am still in control. Amazing stuff.

I really wished they did more with this controller, perhaps added the rumble feature, or progressed all home consoles with the Wavebird as the ideal, to what the DualShock is to the PS.

Any thoughts?

Still my favourite controller. Got mine for Christmas one year without me asking for one which made it even better.

Wish Nintendo released an updated version that works with the Wii/Wii U. The Pro Controller is pretty good, but it's no Wavebird.

This thing was a total revelation when it came out. I remember being so excited for it; years of having people trip over wires and pulling my consoles out (leading them to come crashing to the floor) finally brought to an end! :D

I remember doing all sorts of range tests and just being astounded at how well it worked! It really felt like the future had arrived! :D (it still shocks me to think that MS and Sony didn't steal the technology for use in making an equivalent wireless PS2/Xbox controller!)

Fast forward to today and it is because of this little puppy (4 of them of course!) that I'm able to have my GCN (well my US Wii really, but it's effectively the same thing!) permanantly hooked up to my living room TV. I would never keep my previous consoles hooked up permanantly because of those damn wires; the GCN continues to laugh at the PS2 and Xbox from beyond the grave ;)

It's lighter, more comfortable to hold, doesn't requite batteries and has rumble.

Fair enough. Though in comparison I found the original GC controller to be a little thin on the hands for my big hands. So I liked the chunky feel, and the Wavebird, IIRC, was a lot lighter (and the batteries lasted a hell of a long time).

I generally use my wired controller over my Wavebird, but purely because I prefer to have the rumble. If the Wavebird had rumble it would probably be my favourite controller of all time, give it clickable analogue sticks and a second 'Z' button on the left shoulder and you have the controller I think Nintendo should use for their next console....