NEurope
Goron_3

Michael Schumacher is 'fighting for his life' [Updated]

There are few truly global sporting icons in the world who transcend sport. Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Muhammed Ali etc...Michael Schumacher is one of those people. He broke nearly every record in the Formula 1 history book and was an inspiration to millions around the world. He also turned the fortunes of Ferrari around; winning 5 WDC's for them in a row from 2000-2004, ending their 20 year drought of not winning a title.

Unfortunately, he had a skiing accident yesterday and is now in a coma after having had surgery. Thankfully he was wearing a helmet at the time however it is now touch and go to see whether he will survive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25548140

For those of you who don't follow Formula 1, Michael changed everything in Formula 1; his level of fitness was unparallel and he thus he was one of the first few drivers capable of driving a Formula 1 car flat out over a race distance. He won many races (and argubly championships) in cars that weren't the outright fastest as he was capable of getting the most out of them in every occasion.

He was my one true inspiration growing up and I hope from the bottom of my heart that he pulls through. His incredible fitness and determination matter more than ever right now....Come on Michael.

Have to say hated him as a racer and didn't like that he dominated mostly in my own F1 heyday but it's extremely sad all the same :( Hope he gets well soon. I guess being an extremely fit athlete who has recovered from horrific accidents in the past can only help him.

It's a horrible situation for him and especially his family. At this stage they have absolutely no idea what he'll be like when he wakes up. He could be absolutely fine or he could have permanent brain damage. Really awful.

I find it ironic that he wasn't seriously injured in his F1 career, but most of his injuries have occured outside of F1. Hopefully he makes a full recovery from this.

This accident has re enforced the safety benefits of wearing a helmet, he'd have died already without one. Here's to hoping he makes a full recovery, would hate for anyone to die like this. Fight on Michael, fight on!

Wasn't a fan of his during his peak racing days. There's no denying he was an absolute beast of a professional. Hoping he makes a full and speedy recovery.

I've been checking the news all day to see if there were any developments. The alarming bit about this for me is how it was initially thought that he would be fine and then the drastic change to his life being on the line. Had it been the other way around, I'm sure he would be making a swift recovery. The ways it's panning out makes me uncertain. I did think last night that if he hadn't had some positive development by today, then it might signal the worst. It's not looking good. :hmm::sad:

Hope he pulls through and is ok. Terrible stuff.

It's a horrible situation for him and especially his family. At this stage they have absolutely no idea what he'll be like when he wakes up. He could be absolutely fine or he could have permanent brain damage. Really awful.

That really is the worst....Now from what I've read these are keeping him an induced coma and there is always this fear of what will happen when he they start withdrawing medication to bring him around. That's what happened when my sister passed away.

I've been checking the news all day to see if there were any developments. The alarming bit about this for me is how it was initially thought that he would be fine and then the drastic change to his life being on the line. Had it been the other way around, I'm sure he would be making a swift recovery. The ways it's panning out makes me uncertain. I did think last night that if he hadn't had some positive development by today, then it might signal the worst. It's not looking good. :hmm::sad:

Hope he pulls through and is ok. Terrible stuff.

It reminds me of a girl that was hit by an ice hockey puck last year. She was fine and watched the rest of the match but shortly after it ended she died. Guess it takes a while for the damage to make itself known.

Anyway, it looks as though things are looking 'better' for Michael, and he had a second surgery last night. Of course, I say 'better' but it can still go either way.

It's a shame he burnt his bridges with the British media so long ago because truthfully, I don't feel as though he is recognised as the true sporting great that he is. I mean, 7 WDC's and 91 wins is incredible, but on top of that he was simply head and shoulders above everyone else. It takes a lot to win in Formula 1, maybe more so than any other sport because of the sheer attention to detail involved, yet he was so consistent for years and years.

David Coulthard, who raced against Michael and has been quite vocal against him at times, has written an incredible piece for the telegraph which has been published today. I HIGHLY recommend you guys give it a read (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/michael-schumacher/10543292/I-only-hope-Michael-Schumacher-pulls-through-so-that-he-can-see-all-the-nice-things-people-are-saying-about-him.html). It ends with a great line too:

'The awful thing is that so often it takes something like this before we say what we truly feel about someone.

I hope that in this instance, with Michael having received such swift medical attention, and given the fact that he continues to receive the very best treatment possible, he is going to emerge victorious once again. And when he does he is going to realise in what esteem he is held'

Bumping because....

F1 legend Michael Schumacher 'out of coma'

F1 champion Michael Schumacher has left hospital in Grenoble and is no longer in a coma, his family says.

The 45-year-old has been transferred to Lausanne university hospital in Switzerland, officials there say.

Schumacher was placed in a medically induced coma after suffering a severe head injury in a skiing accident in the French Alps on 29 December.

His family thanked people who had sent messages of support, saying: "We are sure it helped him."

They also praised the "excellent job" of medical staff at the hospital in Grenoble, in south-east France.

SUCH GOOD NEWS :)

Really happy about this..he was my idol growing up and it's been so painful knowing he was still in a coma. There's a long road ahead but it's a great start.

Keep fighting champ :)

Good news. :)

Also...I find it kind of hilarious that this thread is just above the "The Walking Dead"-thread....

Great news. It's been so long already and there's so much more to go. I hope he makes as full a recovery as possible.

He's a fighter and will keep fighting until the very end. When I saw his name on the BBC News website, I expected the worst.