NEurope
Dog-amoto

Fallout 4

Sure, there are smelting works, military bases, high schools, libraries and underground bunkers, but they all play out the exact same way. You enter a building, kill all of the enemies (usually raiders, ghouls or super mutants), loot obsessively, hack some terminals, pick some locks and at the end there's usually a magazine that gives a 2% boost to some skill you're not even using. Maybe if you're really lucky some of the terminals contain some backstory for the area.

I'm playing this for the exploration and role-playing, and exploring isn't fun when there's so little of interest to find. I haven't had much opportunity to role-play so far, either, although that may change once I start focusing more on the main quest.

I have not been playing for two weeks, I've probably clocked in about 4-5 hours play so far.

I mostly go towards a crappy objective and explore whatever I come across along the way.

But it's all... find a lab/warehouse, shoot twenty enemies, use a dozen stimpacks (there's seemingly very little advantages to be had for low-armour based characters this time around, but it's how I prefer to play). Hack a computer, find a crappy gun, realise that's all there was in there and leave.

Yeah, that's pretty much been my experience with the game so far, too (except for ten times as long...). I still mostly enjoyed it for the first twenty or so hours, but now it's just become compulsive. Why is there no variety in this game I want to diiieee.

So yeah, head to Diamond City. That's what I'm doing, although I took a detour to Vault 81, and that seems like it might be a fun place, too. There's also Goodneighbor, if you haven't been there yet. Those seem to be the only interesting settlements in the game.

Sure, there are smelting works, military bases, high schools, libraries and underground bunkers, but they all play out the exact same way. You enter a building, kill all of the enemies (usually raiders, ghouls or super mutants), loot obsessively, hack some terminals, pick some locks and at the end there's usually a magazine that gives a 2% boost to some skill you're not even using. Maybe if you're really lucky some of the terminals contain some backstory for the area.

I'm playing this for the exploration and role-playing, and exploring isn't fun when there's so little of interest to find. I haven't had much opportunity to role-play so far, either, although that may change once I start focusing more on the main quest.

Yeah, that's pretty much been my experience with the game so far, too (except for ten times as long...). I still mostly enjoyed it for the first twenty or so hours, but now it's just become compulsive. Why is there no variety in this game I want to diiieee.

So yeah, head to Diamond City. That's what I'm doing, although I took a detour to Vault 81, and that seems like it might be a fun place, too. There's also Goodneighbor, if you haven't been there yet. Those seem to be the only interesting settlements in the game.

Nope.

The smelting works ends with a pretty cool boss/cult and a situation where you can persuade the enemies prior to the fight. The Vault I visited had a cool secret part to if, a unique mechanic and an important decision to make at the end of it. The military base had a cool suit of power armour locked in with a withered ghoul - after breaking in I was afterwards attacked by one of the hardest robot units in the game. Then there are the (trophy associated) 'big' bosses, one of which sprung up on me in the middle of a lake and made for one of the best Fallout experiences I've had. It was truly epic - I was dropping mines left, right and centre, while running for dear life.

Saying that every place involves killing enemies, looting stuff, picking locks and hacking terminals is a bit like saying every Mario game involves jumping platforms and grabbing coins. Since every location is reasonably different and usually has its own story (via terminals), enemy placements, traps, and environments, I'm pretty satisfied.

That said, if you bypass all the quests until you scour most of the Wasteland then it's a given that you will get a bit bored. While you get some story scouring the wasteland, it's not going to be like the dialogue you get with quests. Variety is the spice o' life and all that.

Edited by Sheikah

Just scouring the Wasteland a lot might not be the best of ideas.

That's just not how I expect Fallout to be though. In fact that's literally the opposite of the Fallout experience to me. In any Fallout game before this, as well as TES, you could ignore the main story forever and just wander from settlement to settlement, getting involved in anything from a domestic dispute, through a murder mystery up to an all-out war, meeting interesting NPCs, finding unique items.

But almost every marker on FO4 is just a formulaic experience.

I agree with you that combat and gameplay itself has improved, although it's very much just a refinement of FO3 mechanics, in some cases just fixing what was broken, it doesn't feel like a big step forward/sequel.

I'll go to Diamond City this evening before I give up on it. This might be the first Bethesda RPG that I can only enjoy if I absorb plenty of the main story early on instead of trying to make my own game of it.

I'll have to update my thoughts after I scour the Wasteland more, but based on what I just told you I've had some really rather fun experiences in the Wasteland so far. Legendary enemies also make the less interesting locations a heck of a lot more fun for me, too. It makes me actually pay attention to the environment more, as I try to distance myself from the glowing ones, for instance. At one point I vaulted on top of a bunch of caravans to stop the fucker from reaching me.

There's also a number of quests that do pop up just scouring the Wasteland itself (e.g. via radio signals/reading notes); I'd count those as part of just exploring the Wasteland.

Edited by Sheikah

That's just not how I expect Fallout to be though. In fact that's literally the opposite of the Fallout experience to me. In any Fallout game before this, as well as TES, you could ignore the main story forever and just wander from settlement to settlement, getting involved in anything from a domestic dispute, through a murder mystery up to an all-out war, meeting interesting NPCs, finding unique items.

But almost every marker on FO4 is just a formulaic experience.

I agree with you that combat and gameplay itself has improved, although it's very much just a refinement of FO3 mechanics, in some cases just fixing what was broken, it doesn't feel like a big step forward/sequel.

I'll go to Diamond City this evening before I give up on it. This might be the first Bethesda RPG that I can only enjoy if I absorb plenty of the main story early on instead of trying to make my own game of it.

I think you've hit on something there, the setting of fallout doesn't lend its self to pockets of settlement which set up all those side quests. Or perhaps fallout 4 doesn't, so far there's less actual unique settlements or areas where unique npc's exist, all replaced with generic settlers and settlements to upgrade, which wouldn't be so bad if you gained unique npc 's if you got them to certain sizes or something (which could happen I don't know, but I'd doubt it)

Is the map smaller? It feels smaller than Vegas or fallout 3

Nope.

Okay, fine - for every ten locations you explore, there's one that actually contains something that makes it stand out somewhat.

I don't really care if the enemy placement and traps are different, or if this building is a lighter shade of brown than that other one, when the only real difference is that in this location there was a guy 200 years ago who killed himself after his wife died of radiation poisoning and in this location people 200 years ago were fighting over who would get the last of the food.

It's like if there were only five obstacles/enemies in Super Mario games and they were just repeated in different combinations for eight worlds. To me, that's just really boring.

Okay, fine - for every ten locations you explore, there's one that actually contains something that makes it stand out somewhat.

I don't really care if the enemy placement and traps are different, or if this building is a lighter shade of brown than that other one, when the only real difference is that in this location there was a guy 200 years ago who killed himself after his wife died of radiation poisoning and in this location people 200 years ago were fighting over who would get the last of the food.

It's like if there were only five obstacles/enemies in Super Mario games and they were just repeated in different combinations for eight worlds. To me, that's just really boring.

Again, nope - I've not visited anywhere near 10 for every example I just gave you.

The differences in stories on the terminals is also much bigger than you're making out. I've read through the discussions between people of different jobs, seen scandals, relationships, raiders discussing ransoms and even the most mundane shit you would expect to see in boring officey places. It makes for interesting backstory for me, although maybe it's not for everyone.

Edited by Sheikah

I can't be bothered to read terminals.... So to me none of that stuff makes any area any different to the last.

Also if they're a legendary enemy I just do one thing: Press square to win.

Edited by Shorty

Really with Shorty on this. About 15 hours in and I can only think of like, two interesting missions, and even less truely distinctive locations in all that time (rescued the chap off that big tower which was a vaguely cool location).

I've started playing with the volume off whilst listening to podcasts - I'm surprised for an rgp but I'm really more enjoying playing it as a brainless shooter.

A shame as I loved the shit out of Skyrim, but nothing is grabbing me in this setting. The terminals are occasionally lolworthy or interesting (one the other day described how some ordinary people gradually came to be known as raiders - nicely done) but it's a shame that that's the only way they ever seem to lend exposition to enemies.

Maybe I need to change up my play style to do more main misisons, but for now it feels dated and as if it's seriously struggling to emerge from W3's long shadow. That has incredible stories all across the map, a gorgeous and interesting world, and is still a blast to explore.

Nonetheless... still got that Bethesda-speciality addictive crack quality. Don't mess w me and my Mutant Slayer's powerful night vision sniper rifle.

I don't mean to jump on the disappointment train, but I can't see what's so special about the series/this game. Although like some of the others I have pretty much only explored the world, one marker at a time and haven't found much interesting. Think the stats said 78 or some areas last time I checked.

I'll try to aim for the quests already in my log and attempt to ignore all areas inbetween(the "cleared" marker disappears anyway, which is frustrating) and see if that makes the game more interesting.

I'll admit I set the game down to very easy, but I can't see much difference, perhaps the enemies have less health, but I don't think it does anything to damage taken and given. I still die A LOT in this game. And I have even made some lv1 mods on armour. I have only been exploring the top half so far.

I don't mean to jump on the disappointment train, but I can't see what's so special about the series/this game.

Have you played any of the other games in the series?

Only about an hour or so of New Vegas.

I really liked New Vegas. I thought it was much better-written and offered more freedom than Fallout 3. It felt more like an RPG.

But the first two games are even better. I just love the absolute freedom they give you to go anywhere and play any way you want. If you know what to do and you're good enough at the game, you can finish Fallout 1 in ten minutes. It doesn't railroad you into a specific story - it gives you an objective, and it's up to you to decided what to see and do. There aren't as many places to visit, but every area has way more to do and see. And skills actually matter, too! Both games are really amazing.

I can't really recommend them unless you appreciate the quirks of CRPGs from the late '90s. But if you're up to the challenge, they're two of the best RPGs of all time.

Tedious questions/thoughts:

Just reached level 11. Sorry if you guys have been over this, but what does everyone else do about item stashing? I pick up most of the crafting stuff I find and it means I easily reach my carry limit, although to be fair I haven't really been offloading much to my companion so far. So right now I travel back to the first settlement and stash the junk in a wardrobe, but I feel like this is a stupid way to hoard things. Was there a way of dumping it at a workstation and making it transferable to other settlements, or do you need a trade route set up for that?

Also, when I'm scrapping stuff in the building mode, where is all of that stored? In my inventory? Also I have a bad feeling I lost a good sniper rifle because it somehow got used in the process of crafting something on my settlement. Not sure if that's even possible though.

Final thought - I seem to be absolutely tearing through my ammo and stimpak supplies. I'm guessing part of the reason is that I've been playing without Power Armour despite coming across two suits, but as with everything else you can end up wasting, like caps or rare explosives, I never use the armour due to it being a finite resource. And I like to be a sneaky bastard.

Ammo solution might lie in improving luck/luck-based perks.

//

So far I'm enjoying the dynamism of the enemy AI compared to previous games. Sure the encounters are more scripted but that ensures tense exploration, coupled with the more aggressive move sets and attack patterns.

The general face lift to the buildings and monuments is also much-welcomed, as is the sense that there are bigger, interconnected structures to explore, which means you have greater freedom to plan and approach combat. There's also more in the way of jumping and snooping around in search of secret treasures, akin to Dishonored but on a lesser scale.

Little things like the improved companion interaction and the streamlined item collecting go a long way.

So far, so good. Nothing has blown me away, but if I'm honest it's the gradual ascent to character beasthood that drives me on.

Just reached level 11. Sorry if you guys have been over this, but what does everyone else do about item stashing? I pick up most of the crafting stuff I find and it means I easily reach my carry limit, although to be fair I haven't really been offloading much to my companion so far. So right now I travel back to the first settlement and stash the junk in a wardrobe, but I feel like this is a stupid way to hoard things. Was there a way of dumping it at a workstation and making it transferable to other settlements, or do you need a trade route set up for that?

If you go to a workbench, you can press a button to "store all junk", and it'll be scrapped as needed when you build things. If it's in your workbench, it'll also be usable in other settlements if you set up a trade route.

I usually just offload weapons on my companions, as they can be scrapped for rare crafting supplies used when modding weapons.

Also, when I'm scrapping stuff in the building mode, where is all of that stored? In my inventory? Also I have a bad feeling I lost a good sniper rifle because it somehow got used in the process of crafting something on my settlement. Not sure if that's even possible though.

Scrapping things in build mode moves the junk to your workbench. Weapons can't be scrapped automatically, that'd be pretty annoying.

Final thought - I seem to be absolutely tearing through my ammo and stimpak supplies. I'm guessing part of the reason is that I've been playing without Power Armour despite coming across two suits, but as with everything else you can end up wasting, like caps or rare explosives, I never use the armour due to it being a finite resource. And I like to be a sneaky bastard.

Ammo solution might lie in improving luck/luck-based perks.

I'm playing on easy, so I have about 300 stimpaks, but I've heard that crafting food is a good alternative if you're running low. I was running low on ammunition until I put a couple of points into the perk that makes you find more ammunition while looting, but the easiest way to conserve ammunition is to switch between a few different weapons as needed.

There's a ton of fusion cores in the game, so later on you'll be able to wear power armor 24/7 if you want to.

Yeah I'm playing on hard so I think it's just a case of good balancing. Raiders and ghouls still pose a very real threat even though I'm level 14.

It is good to be back.

is there a good .38 weapon? i seem to have about 900 rounds of the stuff and nothing to use it with.

I really wish they'd made the inventory at settlements linked like the chests in resident evil, even if it was a high level perk.

I'm not really sure what weapons to take, i tried having one for each ammo type, but that meant loads of weight - so i stuck with

a 10mm pistol, a .308 sniper, a .45 rifle i found with a night scope, a laser rifle, a shotgun and a machette

but then i found an awesome tommy gun Spray and Pray with a merchant and sold lots of shit to buy it, unlike the other tommy guns whose base dmg seems to be 10 upgradable to 15, its 35 and the bullets explode on impact!

So now i have that to

but i have no heavy, the .45 rifle is semi redundant

Then i just went to Hubris Comics, found an legendary/unique Axe and on the way had to fight a massive super mutant called the swan that dropped a unique power fist

I've currently got the spare weapons on my companion so i can try the new ones, but i swear some weapons have stupid weights, for example; Grognuk's Axe is 60 dmg, increases stagger and does bleed with a weight of 10 - its an axe simple steel one

Then the Power fist 60 dmg does increased dmg on each hit - its a giant power loader arm with a concrete block at the end

has a weight of 5.5! FIVE POINT FIVE? how is that the lighter weapon?

How can the weight of a rocket launcher be so close to the weight of a sniper with a heavy reciever? etc etc odd weights, needlessly so

is there a good .38 weapon? i seem to have about 900 rounds of the stuff and nothing to use it with.

I really wish they'd made the inventory at settlements linked like the chests in resident evil, even if it was a high level perk.

I'm not really sure what weapons to take, i tried having one for each ammo type, but that meant loads of weight - so i stuck with

a 10mm pistol, a .308 sniper, a .45 rifle i found with a night scope, a laser rifle, a shotgun and a machette

but then i found an awesome tommy gun Spray and Pray with a merchant and sold lots of shit to buy it, unlike the other tommy guns whose base dmg seems to be 10 upgradable to 15, its 35 and the bullets explode on impact!

So now i have that to

but i have no heavy, the .45 rifle is semi redundant

Then i just went to Hubris Comics, found an legendary/unique Axe and on the way had to fight a massive super mutant called the swan that dropped a unique power fist

I've currently got the spare weapons on my companion so i can try the new ones, but i swear some weapons have stupid weights, for example; Grognuk's Axe is 60 dmg, increases stagger and does bleed with a weight of 10 - its an axe simple steel one

Then the Power fist 60 dmg does increased dmg on each hit - its a giant power loader arm with a concrete block at the end

has a weight of 5.5! FIVE POINT FIVE? how is that the lighter weapon?

How can the weight of a rocket launcher be so close to the weight of a sniper with a heavy reciever? etc etc odd weights, needlessly so

To be fair, there are some very heavy sniper rifles, and some very light rocket launchers in real life. I don't know what the weapons you have in Fallout 4 are based on (or if they're based on any real ones to begin with), but, according to Wikipedia, an RPG-7 (a very common Soviet-designed rocket launcher), weighs only 7 kg, and while that would be pretty heavy for a sniper rifle, they do exist. When loaded and with a scope attached, an American M24 Sniper Rifle is 7.3 kg. If we look at really heavy sniper rifles, the Barrett M82 (commonly just called a "50 Caliber Sniper Rifle" in games), they can get up to 14 kg.

To answer your question though, I haven't found a good use for .38 rounds yet. I tried maxing out a pipe rifle at one point just to see if I could make an effective weapon for killing lower level stuff while conserving more valuable ammo, but even that wasn't good enough (although, it might have been better if I made it automatic and gave it a huge magazine). As far as I know, your best bet might be to just sell it and buy more useful stuff.

I think I have a submachine gun for that, think the ammo is mainly there for use against vermin/swarms of low-level enemies.

Edit: I lied, subs don't use that ammo.

Edited by dwarf

:cry:

Man, you punch one guy in the face and let Travis tag along when you go kill some raiders, and he's ruined forever.

I'm enjoying the game a lot more since I went to Diamond City and took on a companion who talks.

I hate how all companions have an issue with my obsessive need to pick up random stuff all the time. "That just looks like junk to me." WELL I'M SORRY PRESTON BUT YOU'RE THE ONE WHO WANTED ME TO REBUILD SETTLEMENTS.

Yes I know this isn't all Fallout 4 but it mainly is and it's laugh out loud funny, so enjoy!

Yes I know this isn't all Fallout 4 but it mainly is and it's laugh out loud funny, so enjoy!

Hahaha that was great, love the replies to that dumb character builder video. Big fan of Miller and those guys