NEurope
Dog-amoto

Fallout 4

Fallout 4 was disappointing for me but if it's your first dip into the open world Fallout games I think it'll be a nice surprise for you. Thought the graphical aspect and colour palate were some of the things Bethesda got right on this one.

All I would suggest Flink - while the fun in the game is to be had stumbling upon hidden places and uncovering areas of the map, I'd advise against exploring absolutely everything and completing all the side-quests because you'll get fatigued otherwise. Keep the story missions the main focus and take the odd quest here and there to keep yourself competitive against enemies. And beware - side quests that your companion characters give you to defend areas of the map are infinite, so don't waste too much time on those.

I've played this for around 6 more hours today to give this game a fair go and to give a somewhat more informed opinion of it.

This game blows.

In a way, it's a triumph. How to take an interesting setting (the post-apocalyptic theme) and make an utterly boring game out of it. The characters and story have not grabbed me at all. The combat is weak and too many enemies are complete bullet-sponges. There's a depressing lack of health in too many of these "linear" fights where you have to clear a building or something and the check-point system is annoying. I'm now in an endless loop where I lost loads of health due to these repetitive combat sequences and the game has saved me in a position where I have very little health and supplies and have to take on another one of these rooms filled with enemies.

It's been a while since I've felt this way about a game. I'm going to persevere with it, but it's a chore. I'm hoping it develops a personality the further I play.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

If the world and combat isn't selling you on it, I'm afraid the story won't be enough to win you round. It's particularly lackluster in Fallout 4. Such a shame because Fallout 3 was terrific, and I'm sure that wasn't just down to it being a technical showcase either.

The stimpak thing ceases to be an issue after the first 10 hours or so, providing you loot fastidiously and use sneak/critical attacks to take out groups of enemies. But this is such a minor aspect to focus on given that you're not getting down with the general Fallout vibe. Might be best to shelve or bin it, because let's be honest you won't be playing it for at least couple of weeks once you have Horizon, and it's hard to jump back into a game of F4's size.

Gah. Hurts me to direct someone away from the franchise.