NEurope
Dog-amoto

Fallout 4

If you go on youtube you can just watch a video of someone completing the game, much quicker :)

QFT. Honestly no idea why some of you guys sunk £40 on this game only to completely ruin it for yourselves.

This sounds like the kind of thing you might do on a second playthrough for laughs, but not the first.

Couldn't agree more, why bother breaking the game? It's not how it was meant to be experienced, so all you'd be doing is spoiling it.

On a random side-note, I've just got the second rank of Local Leader, so I can build stores. However, I'm having issues with it, in the sense that I'm not entirely sure who to assign to them. Can companions be assigned to the stores, or is it just settlers? It doesn't seem to work for me 100%... :wtf:

Yeah guys, you're playing with your toys wrong.

I know you're trying to spin it back around, "as long as you're having fun it's okay", but I think you're off the mark a bit. I see a lot of people in a rush to be at the highest light level and have the best raid gear and forgetting to have fun along the way. Cheats are frequently fun, like spawning yourself a tank and going on a godmode spree on GTA. But it's a shame if they're used as a shortcut to ticking off the "game complete" box and putting it back on your shelf.

I would agree if it was a multi-player game, such as Destiny for instance, but they aren't harming anyone else's enjoyment of the game.

They're just playing with their toy trucks, in their garden, and you're leaning over the fence and telling them that trucks can't fly and they're stupid poopy heads.

I'm not talking about bothering anybody else... I'm just suggesting that some people forget about the actual enjoyment of the game in favour of the grind/statistics. If you believe that everybody always does what's best for themselves without thinking it through, you're being a bit naive.

The kid next door is stomping on his toy trucks. He doesn't even know they have wheels. In five minutes he's going to complain that the toy is broken, throw it away and then make his mum buy him another one.

That isn't aimed at the individuals in this thread, as in this instance it's not like anyone's actually ruining Fallout. I'm just defending myself now as I'm somehow being accused of being the un-fun one whilst defending the notion of having fun.

Edited by Shorty

I gained 5 extra free stat points out of a glitch, it hasn't changed my gameplay; i've still not gone to diamond city, i've explored i've ventured only within a small radius of Vault 111. It hasn't effected my game, i'm still weak as shit and have to snipe mirelurk's or get snipped to bits, mole rat swarms can still kill me and i'm having the same fallout trouble; which companion to take? i like having a dog, but this time i can't have a dog and a companion!

Got into Vault 81 yesterday with a lucky persuade, cool to explore a surviving vault! did three quests there including the vault 81 hidden side mole rat quest! all the way to the end find out i get one cure for the disease that's infected Austin, and i have it too! (debuff of 10HP permanently). Reloaded an earlier save and replayed the vault very slowly trying to not get hit, only to discover that if my companion is hit i get the same debuff - replayed and eventually did it so only one cure would be enough

I've found an old drive in theatre settlement, a hut on a hill settlement and a green house full of Mr Gutsy's as a settlement!

Also came across some super mutants in a water treatment plant (part of the Greenhouse gutsy's settlement) who were strangely easy to kill, well except a new super mutant type i found - suicide bomber using a mini nuke, that first go didn't work out so good

Had a spectacular glitch though on Sunday and i mean spectacular! wish i'd remembered to share the video now!

You find a distress signal for the brother hood of steel, they are hold up in a police station. I headed generally in the direction of them, (running close to the Greenhouse i mentioned) and when i got near a ruined overpass i heard gun shots and thought it was them!

It wasn't it was Raiders attaching and killing a caravan.

I V.A.T.S targeted a Raider at a distance

Aimed for the head shot

hit fire

as the bullet hit the raiders head the screen went white

I thought alien abduction?!

nope it was loading

odd

i warped to a rocket research facility, inside

I explored a little and got stuck after jumping over some rubble and a scripted door wouldn't open (and couldn't jump back)

had to reload and exit the building where i came in miles from where i'd been.

went back, found the dead Caravan, a boat load of weapons, ammo and caps on the dead biraham (around 5k)

Mental, turns out the Brotherhood mission takes you to said rocket facility and the door only opens as part of that

I currently have access to

Dogmeat

Curie - a Ms Gutsy

Codsworth

Preston - Minuteman

I don't especially care for Preston so far, but seem to have gained what i think must be his companion quest already

Dogmeat i've had from the start, he's essentially useless but i like having a dog

Codsworth i tried for all of five minutes but he seems to melee or use his flamer, must try him more

Curie i got out of Vault 81- Medic and has a Laser or so she said, not had her in combat yet

what are people's thoughts on the companions? (listed) i don't mind genric spoilers of future companions, like you meet a woman called X who is awesome, just no story shit - already had a shit poster on Gaf spoil the ending for the game for me in 5 lines

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Just for fun I decided to turn down the difficulty to "normal".

It was way too easy :D So it's back to "very hard" again : peace: Much more challenging as enemies take more hits to die which means you have to plan out your moves/shots more which means every missed bullet may come back to bite you in the ass. Currently not stacked in ammo for my weapons :blank:

Finished what appeared to be a main quest yesterday:

Killed Kellogg. That sneaky bitch, instantly activating stealth boy.

:laughing:

Game is amazing. For my personal GOTY it will be close between Fallout 4 and Bloodborne. Sorry @Fierce_LiNk, The Witcher 3 won't be mine as I like both Fallout's and Bloodborne's settings more. :p Objectively all three could be the GOTY. :)

I'm not talking about bothering anybody else... I'm just suggesting that some people forget about the actual enjoyment of the game in favour of the grind/statistics. If you believe that everybody always does what's best for themselves without thinking it through, you're being a bit naive.

The kid next door is stomping on his toy trucks. He doesn't even know they have wheels. In five minutes he's going to complain that the toy is broken, throw it away and then make his mum buy him another one.

That isn't aimed at the individuals in this thread, as in this instance it's not like anyone's actually ruining Fallout. I'm just defending myself now as I'm somehow being accused of being the un-fun one whilst defending the notion of having fun.

That's cool, I'm not having a go at anyone either, and I don't think anyone is the un-fun one. I think some people have fun in different ways, whether by playing by the rules or by seeing how far they can go beyond the rules, it's all good (in the hood).

After two weeks, I've finally decided to head to Diamond City, because I'm sick of the side content. It feels like it's nothing but raiders, ghouls and super mutants. When you do find friendly NPCs, it's usually generic settlers who want you to kill some raiders/ghouls/super mutants somewhere before they'll join the Minutemen. Blah.

what are people's thoughts on the companions? (listed) i don't mind genric spoilers of future companions, like you meet a woman called X who is awesome, just no story shit - already had a shit poster on Gaf spoil the ending for the game for me in 5 lines

Of the ones I've met so far (only four), MacCready's my favorite, because he likes it when I steal things. Although I don't like how he keeps taking credit for my kills. "That's another kill for me!" You weren't even here! You were in a different room! You butt. :blank:

Only started this up last night but pushing on and exploring the wasteland after I got out of the vault took a back seat after I found the workbench in Sanctuary. Ended up clearing out some of the ruined houses and debris around the place and started building a house.

Have a feeling I've jumped the gun massively as I've only spoken to Codsworth and should be going to Concord but wanted to see how easy the Settlement building was. It was a little fiddly to put stairs inside the house I was making, it only wanted to snap them to the outside, but I managed to get things to line up eventually and have a 2 story house made thanks to scrapping a bunch of stuff lying around the area. Other than that small amount of faffing, it's not too difficult to get things put together. It would be better if you could rotate items or get a better view of things when placing them but it's serviceable as it is.

Can see myself putting in quite a bit of time building up Sanctuary and other settlements as a nice break from wandering and pillaging the wastelands. Though I think I'll move the story on a tiny bit before I start on it again before I've sunk too much time into it.

Need to get a hang of the shooting though. From the little bits I've had to do so far, it's feeling a tad clunky but coming off of the back of CoD, it was never going to feel as smooth. Hopefully it'll click with a little more practice and patience.

Enjoying it so far though. Eager to get back to it and see what else there is to the world this time around as I do remember sinking in a lot of time in Fallout 3 so have a feeling I'll be doing the same here.

Think I'll tone down the difficulty soon. While I enjoy challenges in games, playing Fallout 4 on Very Hard is dampening my enjoyment when it comes to exploring.

I've avoided lots of areas because VATS told me the damage I'd do to enemies was minimal. And the damage they did to me...jeez, 4 shots and I was dead. And these enemies were only 3-4 levels above me...

Having a higher Legendary Enemy spawn rate is nice and all, but I'd much rather enjoy exploring without having to quicksave after every shot :D

It would be better if you could rotate items or get a better view of things when placing them but it's serviceable as it is.

L2/R2 Rotates on the X axis, not found out any other rotating or how to snap to ground, things seem to be very fiddly to place as well

On the subject of Settlement, can you repair you old home's wall's ceilings, put in windows etc? of learn how to build complete walls that don't have holes in like the steel and wood walls?

Have a feeling I've jumped the gun massively as I've only spoken to Codsworth and should be going to Concord but wanted to see how easy the Settlement building was.

You haven't jumped it by that much at all. Settlement building is introduced...

...right after a few things go down in Concord.

L2/R2 Rotates on the X axis, not found out any other rotating or how to snap to ground, things seem to be very fiddly to place as well

On the subject of Settlement, can you repair you old home's wall's ceilings, put in windows etc? of learn how to build complete walls that don't have holes in like the steel and wood walls?

I'll add that the default is mouse 1 and mouse 2 in the PC version.

I haven't found anything yet that can produce anything better than a shack, but I'm sure the modding community will fix this. Keep in mind that consoles are getting mods this time around as well.

After two weeks, I've finally decided to head to Diamond City, because I'm sick of the side content. It feels like it's nothing but raiders, ghouls and super mutants. When you do find friendly NPCs, it's usually generic settlers who want you to kill some raiders/ghouls/super mutants somewhere before they'll join the Minutemen. Blah.

Are you doing quests for Preston and Settlements? As those ones are pretty much infinite and are randomly generated.

No, thankfully I found out that those quests are infinite before I played more than a couple of them (the same with the Brotherhood of Steel quests). I really, really hate the idea of infinite quests, but at least it's made me less worried about doing everything. If I can't clear out my quest log anyway, I may as well not bother with all those boring quests that probably aren't randomly generated but maybe they are because who can tell when almost every sidequest is the same. *Shrugs*

I'm just disappointed that there are so few interesting locations to find. I've explored two thirds of the map and I think I can count the interesting locations on one hand. Thank God I made it to Goodneighbor. That's what I wanted - actual interesting places with NPCs to talk to - not raider dens sprinkled all over the map like collectibles in an Assassin's Creed game. :blank:

What have you been doing? Are you finding the main quest boring, or have you spent the last two weeks wandering around the Wasteland?

I finally made it to a place with NPCs to interact with today, so I'm hoping I'll have a chance to do some actual role-playing at long last. But for now, I'm just happy to have some non-raiders to blow to bits.

I found a note on a super mutant that I killed called "Super Mutant Orders". It was just a piece of paper with "Kill Loot Return" scribbled on it. It pretty much sums up my experiences with the game so far. I've found very few non-hostile settlements at this point, and I've only found a single quest (keep in mind I've pretty much ignored the main story since getting to Diamond City for the first time) that was actually interesting, where there was a real moral dilemma, and your decision had real consequences.

There's a walled compound called Covenant, where the inhabitants enjoy something very close to a pre-war lifestyle. They're very selective about who they let in however, and will only let you in after you take the G.O.A.T. test from the beginning of Fallout 3 (it's never explained how the residents of Covenant found the test). Once in, you'll meet a mercenary who's been tasked with investigating the murder of some merchants in the area, and finding a missing young woman who was part of their caravan. The townspeople all claim to know nothing about it, but they're all really dodgy, and after passing some speech checks, picking pockets, or sneaking around breaking into buildings and terminals, you'll eventually find out that the town is keeping prisoners in a nearby facility. When you go to the facility, you're presented with a speech check, which I failed, and all the NPCs inside turned hostile, so I had to kill them. Moving through the facility, you discover that they've been torturing their prisoners while making them take the G.O.A.T. because apparently there's a statistical correlation between someone answering the test a certain way, and them being a synth. When you get through the dungeon you'll find a scientist who's responsible for the whole thing, turns out synths killed her family or something like that. The girl you're looking for is still alive, in a holding cell, but the scientist tells you that she failed the test, it also turns out that the correlation is actually really really weak, so they've most likely just been torturing and killing a bunch of people. Anyway, I made the decision to free the girl and kill the scientist (if you free the girl, you don't have to kill the scientist to finish the quest). Anyway, returning to the compound, everyone in town turned hostile, so I had to kill them all. After the quest is over, Covenant becomes a player managed settlement, so presumably, if you finished the quest the other way, you'd start out with more people being there.

I'm really hoping I find more quests like that, as I've largely been avoiding quests up until this point, but most of the ones I have done have just been "Kill Loot Return", so I'm not too optimistic. So far this game seems to be eleven minutes wide and an inch deep.

Oh, so that's why it's so easy to get headshots now... not that I'm complaining.

I'm really hoping I find more quests like that, as I've largely been avoiding quests up until this point, but most of the ones I have done have just been "Kill Loot Return", so I'm not too optimistic. So far this game seems to be eleven minutes wide and an inch deep.

Yeah, the sidequests are weak in this game. You pretty much have to visit one of the bigger settlements to find anything remotely interesting.

I don't know if you tried killing the girl, but it turns out she actually was a synth. Not that it makes a difference either way - I can't even find her after saving her.

Oh, so that's why it's so easy to get headshots now... not that I'm complaining.

Yeah, the sidequests are weak in this game. You pretty much have to visit one of the bigger settlements to find anything remotely interesting.

I don't know if you tried killing the girl, but it turns out she actually was a synth. Not that it makes a difference either way - I can't even find her after saving her.

Yeah, I thought she might be, but the margin of error was far too high, and they were almost certainly torturing and killing tons of innocent people. So I suppose like just about every other quest in the game, killing everyone was the optimal solution.

Yeah, they were pretty racist. It would have been nice if there'd been a way to talk some sense into them, but now there's a huge pile of dead bodies right outside the gate, and that's pretty fun too.

You can actually pass the speech check, avoid the scientist lady and talk to the prisoner, and that'll count as saving her without angering anyone in Convenant. But I think that's unintended, unless we're supposed to assume that synths can phase through walls.

What have you been doing? Are you finding the main quest boring, or have you spent the last two weeks wandering around the Wasteland?

I finally made it to a place with NPCs to interact with today, so I'm hoping I'll have a chance to do some actual role-playing at long last. But for now, I'm just happy to have some non-raiders to blow to bits.

I have not been playing for two weeks, I've probably clocked in about 4-5 hours play so far.

I mostly go towards a crappy objective and explore whatever I come across along the way.

But it's all... find a lab/warehouse, shoot twenty enemies, use a dozen stimpacks (there's seemingly very little advantages to be had for low-armour based characters this time around, but it's how I prefer to play). Hack a computer, find a crappy gun, realise that's all there was in there and leave.

Occasionally die and find for some reason that the game did not autosave on any of your last four missions, level-ups or fast-travels (even though it sometimes autosaves just because you looked at your inventory).

Compared to opening Fallout 3 with Megaton, this is pretty weak stuff....

I will definitely just go straight to Diamond City now and focus on the main story for a while, see if that saves it.

Dialogue options are the massive disappointment I thought they would be, prior to release.

Telling you to go to Megaton at the beginning of Fallout 3 is really not much different to telling you to go to Diamond City in this game.

Just scouring the Wasteland a lot might not be the best of ideas. It's best to strike a balance between story quests and exploration/non story objectives, like in quite a lot of RPGs. Also remember that a number of quests you embark on can involve visiting places you might have been to already in the wasteland, so you'll probably end up backtracking. Going there as part of a quest often supplies the story to go with the place and makes it more interesting. For example, the quest with the guy from the radio.

The way I've been playing I've had pretty varied locations, quests and enemy types. I've gone through vaults, a smelting works, a military base, a high school, a shop, a library and underground bunkers. Although raiders are more common than anything else, I've still encountered quite a lot of other enemies, and I really enjoy reading the logs associated with each place.

I actually prefer this to any other Fallout game so far - it's just such a massive improvement. They've really nailed a lot of the gameplay issues I had with the previous games and the weapon/armour upgrade system is really well done. One of the best things for me is the legendary loot - now there is a real reason to get excited from some enemy encounters. Difficult enemies that actually require you to use a lot of the powerful weapons and explosives you accumulate! I could sink so many hours into this game, but so little time... :(

Edited by Sheikah