NEurope
dazzybee

I'm Moving To Paris - Any Help!?

Hello, I know I never post on here, but thought I'd give it a shot. Basically, I'm doing the most pretentious, wandering thing I've ever done (and there's some tough competition) and moving to Paris for 4 months to write. I've got a commission which affords me to be able to do it, my girlfriends up for coming along so going to do it.

I've never moved away before so it's all a bit new, I guess I wondered if anyone lives or has lived in Paris that could give any advice. Or anyone who's moved to another country (I realise it's a couple of hours away and barely another country :) ) for some general advice, even basic things like mobile phones and such.

I have already sorted my apartment, on the ile saint louis, and that includes internet and bills and tax and such So at least that's covered, but still feel a little daunted by it. I'm happy to jump in the deep end, but like I say, anyone live there who fancies some street passing or general advice would be much appreciated.

They drive like nutters in Paris, look both ways twelve times before you cross. Might sound like a joke but traffic accident statistics are pretty high.

You might want to look up some typical Paris tourist scams before you go. I know you won't be a tourist but you will probably go see some of the typical spots and this stuff happens a lot. I bring this up because I'm embarrassed to admit I walked right into #1 on that list in Montmartre a few years ago.

One thing I've definitely heard about france is to make sure you make an effort to learn the language etc Don't expect them to be accomodating of your foreign culture.

However I make that statement fairly baselessly just going off hearsay.

I have to echo the point shorty made! if you think UK roads are bad you haven't seen paris! its like traffic laws don't apply, cyclists ride anywhere and worse still Mopeds/Scooters are everywhere driving between cars, diagonaly between lanes of queuing traffic, over pavements.....horendous

and avoid the Roma, beware pickpockets! i witnessed several pick pockettings by Roma's when in Paris last year, there are a few scams to be wary of;

Charity workers: we had a supposedly Deaf and Dumb Roma walk upto us pointing at a piece of paper written in english saying she was deaf/dumb cold and hungry could you spare money for a local charity blah blah blah. Luckily i'd heard of this scam, and knew what to look out for, as you are reading, another worker comes up and jangles a charity collection tin, whilst a third and fourth set approach fromt he rear and atempt to pickpocket you.

I told them to get lost and walked away only for the deaf/dumb girl to begin swearing loudly.....which alerted the nearby French Police who chased them off (litterally with FAMAS rifles it was quite hilarious)

but they also do distraction things, i saw one walking near Notre Dame (near the bridge just before it) where a kid dropped something whilst running, infront of a tourist, as she helped, two other Roma kids approached and unziped her bag, quite brazenly but we shouted and the woman turned round....worst still they spat at us for stopping them

TL: DR Roma are very bad news

You might want to look up some typical Paris tourist scams before you go. I know you won't be a tourist but you will probably go see some of the typical spots and this stuff happens a lot. I bring this up because I'm embarrassed to admit I walked right into #1 on that list in Montmartre a few years ago.

Haha, had the exact same thing happen to me near The Louvre when I was a few years younger.

Still, I would argue that Paris is just your typical Big Metropolitan area with busy streets, pickpocketers and bull shit stores.

It's not all bad, Dazzy, it's not all bad.

Can't give you any good advice though, except that I really dislike Paris for some reason. The atmosphere is just a bit rushed and grey, but it definitely depends on the parts you'll be frequenting. Away from the busy centre you can find some well needed peace of mind. Not a big fan of big cities in general though.

And I would second Rummy's statement about language. All the times I've been to France the people weren't always happy to help in English. You should come to The Netherlands for that!

But still, it all depends on the places you'll be visiting, and I bet you'll be able to find a nice pub or two where you'll have more internationally oriented people.

Oh yeah, welcome to Euroland : peace:

Somethings won't change though, Spurs will still be shit :D

I'd echo what was said about driving, they're mental over. Their definition of parking is vastly different to ours.

Learn some French, definitely, even if just basic sentences. The common people in the streets aren't likely to be fluent English speakers.

Plus, it's France, one of those countries that are perhaps too content with their own language to learn other things (you can also feel this in Spain, UK and even Germany).

As was already said, watch out for gypsies/Roma/Jitans (whatever the common term in France is).

Also, finding places with other foreigners (from whatever country) helps a lot, as there's a good chance some of them know English anyway. And if those places include Portuguese restaurants/tascas, you'll get to eat well, at the very least :heh:

My boss fell for the "Cafes serving larger, more expensive drinks" one when we were there on a business trip. He ordered three beers, we got these massive glasses (I'd say they were probably a litre). When the bill came...€60.

Cheers for that. But what actually happened to you? there are two number ones on that list, the bracelet one, so they put it on then ask you to pay for it?

One thing I've definitely heard about france is to make sure you make an effort to learn the language etc Don't expect them to be accomodating of your foreign culture.

However I make that statement fairly baselessly just going off hearsay.

I know the language pretty well, it's actually one of the things I'm most looking forward to. but actually they're pretty good with english speakers, been to France and its various parts a dozen or so times and never had any problem.

@Fused_king @Agent Gibbs Those scammers sound irritating, never experienced them before. But I'm always pretty well secure (naive?)

Fused I really love Paris, way more peaceful than English cities in my opinion. And I'm actually bang in the centre of Paris, couldn't be more central, but in my opinion also more cute! Right on the seine on ile saint louis! Love it!

Somethings won't change though, Spurs will still be shit :D

I was in France when I saw Peter Crouch nut one in against City to get us in the champions league. Reckon I'll see Soldado do the same to get us the league :)

Also, finding places with other foreigners (from whatever country) helps a lot, as there's a good chance some of them know English anyway. And if those places include Portuguese restaurants/tascas, you'll get to eat well, at the very least :heh:

Yeah, started having a look on meet up (is that what's it called, never used it) but there seems to be regularly meeting places for other nationals who have moved to paris, a good start to share experiences and such!

My boss fell for the "Cafes serving larger, more expensive drinks" one when we were there on a business trip. He ordered three beers, we got these massive glasses (I'd say they were probably a litre). When the bill came...€60.

Yeah i fell for that too, didn't mind though, got wankered that day!!

I found drinks really expensive in Paris anyway, especially coffee which I presumed would be a euro a cup or whatever; obviously there are places, but generally it's stupidly expensive all round. For some reason, expensive drinks irritate me when i go out, even in England. Expensive food I don't care, but drinks wind me up!

Edited by dazzybee
Automerged Doublepost

Let's hope you speak French better than you type English.

It sounds like you've got the basics already organised to be honest, and really, there's not much that can go wrong in 4 months that you would need to prepare for. I am very jealous, as Paris is amazing.

P.S. You have a pug in your sig. Pugs are so hot right now.

, and really, there's not much that can go wrong in 4 months that you would need to prepare for.

Challenge accepted!!!

Let's hope you speak French better than you type English.

tiger_woods_fist_pump_gif.gif

Good luck, Dazzy. I'm jealous, Paris for four months sounds lovely. Do you have any friends there, as well? Just so you have additional company.

I have to echo the point shorty made! if you think UK roads are bad you haven't seen paris! its like traffic laws don't apply, cyclists ride anywhere and worse still Mopeds/Scooters are everywhere driving between cars, diagonaly between lanes of queuing traffic, over pavements.....horendous

This is how Mopeds and Scooters operate everywhere. Except for the UK, apparently.

As for the cyclists, are they not allowed to ride anywhere up there?

tiger_woods_fist_pump_gif.gif

Good luck, Dazzy. I'm jealous, Paris for four months sounds lovely. Do you have any friends there, as well? Just so you have additional company.

I know a couple of people there, but not close friends or anything. But I'll have people visiting pretty regularly.

This is how Mopeds and Scooters operate everywhere. Except for the UK, apparently.

As for the cyclists, are they not allowed to ride anywhere up there?

No in Yorkshire we shoot cyclists on sight, from Horseback, ever since they banned hunting we needed a new sport!

joking aside what i meant were they ride places that are far too dangerous, we were travelling along thught one of the tunnels in Paris and there was a cyclist in the fast lane by the central reserve, when in traffic james they were finding any gap they could and going through it, the Ach de triomphe which most will know is like this super roundabout with as many lanes as cars can fit, with no order, well cyclist were weaving between cars which were themselves weaving between cars, i have no idea how we drove that roundabout with out dying let alone the cylcists. Basically think of the worst places for a cyclist in england, then imagine its in france with even less space and less regard for safety............its crazy but it all seemed like organised chaos, but its certainly something to look out for coming from British roads

Gibbs, if you think Paris is bad, then never try to drive in Italy. Those drivers are insane.

When I visited Rome, a friend living there drove us everywhere. Despite everyone driving above the speed limit, good driving conduct is apparently disregarded. At one point, someone decided to cut in while entering a roundabout and everyone in there had to instantly brake. Also, every time there is a disagreement (that is, a crash or even just a honk), we could hear the entire street (other drivers, passersby, people in verandas, etc.) yelling "Ma que!?" at it.

It's hard to put it into words, but it was mental.

Gibbs, if you think Paris is bad, then never try to drive in Italy. Those drivers are insane.

When I visited Rome, a friend living there drove us everywhere. Despite everyone driving above the speed limit, good driving conduct is apparently disregarded. At one point, someone decided to cut in while entering a roundabout and everyone in there had to instantly brake. Also, every time there is a disagreement (that is, a crash or even just a honk), we could hear the entire street (other drivers, passersby, people in verandas, etc.) yelling "Ma que!?" at it.

It's hard to put it into words, but it was mental.

Haha I agree, Rome seemed horrible for driving! We weren't even in a car, we were just pedestrians trying to cross the roads... people completely disregard traffic lights or still try to squeeze through when they shouldn't. It seems like madness there!

In comparison the driving in Paris didn't seem bad, I think people mostly just think of the Arc de Triomphe roundabout, which is of course a huge monstrosity that you would want to avoid at all costs. =P

But man I am kind of jealous that you get to live in Paris. I love the city! But then I am not sure how I would feel about living there, I love to visit it but living there is a completely different thing. I'd say just to try and enjoy it as much as possible while you are there. =)

How does Italy compare to Greece? i've been to Greek Islands and we drove once and vowed never to do it again after being overtaken on a mountain road at speed by something that looked like an engine with panels welded to it, whilst a coach was coming the other way.....

but i have to say i'm jealous too, i'd love to live in Paris, as much as i hate the motorists i love the city and the atmosphere so much, it seems so relxaed and (for want of a better word) fancy!

Oh yeah, with all of the tips, we did almost forget to comment on the fact that Dazzybee is going to get to live in Paris, of all places in the world :hehe: Should be quite an experience, actually living there.

How does Italy compare to Greece? i've been to Greek Islands and we drove once and vowed never to do it again after being overtaken on a mountain road at speed by something that looked like an engine with panels welded to it, whilst a coach was coming the other way.....

That sounds like something the Italians would do :heh: I've also heard stories of Moroccan and Algerian drivers doing similar stuff (though that's hearsay, as I haven't been to those places).

Mediterranean nations in general seems to share a similar driving philosophy (though I think the Portuguese and the Spanish are tamer than that. Probably on par with the French)

Also, every time there is a disagreement (that is, a crash or even just a honk), we could hear the entire street (other drivers, passersby, people in verandas, etc.) yelling "Ma que!?" at it.

Is it like in America where there is a backup everyone feels that sounding their horn at periodic moments will somehow speed up a resolution?

Paris, Rome and Athens were all an absolute piece of cake to drive in compared to Cairo. Remember those huge "who even knows how many lanes there are supposed to be" roundabouts in Paris, Gibbs? Now imagine that everywhere, and add people and cattle to the list of traffic components. Lots and lots of people. And lots and lots of cattle.

Hell, lots and lots of everything. Everywhere. I loved it, but the driving around still gives me nightmares and it's been 8 fucking years!!!

Paris, Rome and Athens were all an absolute piece of cake to drive in compared to Cairo. Remember those huge "who even knows how many lanes there are supposed to be" roundabouts in Paris, Gibbs? Now imagine that everywhere, and add people and cattle to the list of traffic components. Lots and lots of people. And lots and lots of cattle.

Hell, lots and lots of everything. Everywhere. I loved it, but the driving around still gives me nightmares and it's been 8 fucking years!!!

right note to self, never drive in Cairo, it sounds like India - although my only experience of that was the Top Gear special and i always wonder if they exaggerated that

Is it like in America where there is a backup everyone feels that sounding their horn at periodic moments will somehow speed up a resolution?

Very much. It starts with the horns, and the people's voices take over from there.

Nairobi deserves a mention for awful roads. My dad lives there and they would be up there with the most dangerous in the world... if the traffic on them ever moved.

Worst place I've ever witnessed for roads os Delhi, the first time being in a rickshaw I was convinced I was a gonner! Embrace it after a while though and appreciate the madness.

Though found a thing which I didn't realise as I hate HONKING too, but they do it there to tell people they're coming up, so they use it as a way of saying I'm coming past you. Though everyone does it all the time so surely it's impossible to work in that way.

Edited by dazzybee