N-Europe

What If Nintendo Sold A Wii U Console Without The Gamepad

Falcon_BlizZACK

The problem we have here is because the Wii U has not sold, everybody is playing the blame game and the game pad seems to be chief culprit.

Ask yourselves this question, if the Wii U had sold the numbers people were expecting, would you all be on here moaning about the game pad?

It's all very hypothetical as to why the Wii U has not shifted the numbers expected, but the bottom line is we have a console that launched with a strong third party line up, has access to a huge back catalogue of Wii games, has free online gaming and has three different control options in the wiimote, pro controller and game pad. If you don't like the game pad, use the pro controller, but it's certainly nice to have the option and anybody who has a Wii U will tell you that the ability to play off screen is priceless and for me personally games like multiplayer local COD are so much better with a game pad instead of using split screen.

There are two key things you've missed off here:

1) Price

2) Marketing

The price of something heavily affects the demand. The Wii was very affordable at £175 with a 'must have' game packed in. The Wii U is £300 with a game packed in.

The marketing buzz for the Wii was massive and the adverts were everywhere and were clear and concise. Plus, Nintendo used an array of popular celebs in their ads! The Wii U has been marketed awfully, the name was confusing, the shots of just the pad added to this and the adverts have been few and far between and rather appalling!

3) There is also a third factor to the Wii's success: accessibility.

The Wii was highly accessible to non-gamers. It wasn't about analogue sticks, button combinations or the increasing complexity that has come with modern gaming. The Wii was about simplicity. You played tennis in a way ANYONE could understand, from a child to your gran, it was logical. The Wii U is the opposite of this. It is one of the most complex gaming set-ups I've ever seen and the gamepad would not be something non-gamers would naturally feel comfortable using.

Everything Nintendo did right with the Wii they seem to have done the opposite of with the Wii U! From an affordable, well marketed system that was open to all, they have gone to an expensive, poorly marketed mess that is confusing to those who loved the Wii!

The point is this: Who were they aiming this system at?

They weren't aiming it at the core gamer as the system doesn't push graphics, has a less than perfect online system and doesn't have all the features you would expect of a system in this generation.

They weren't aiming it at the COD and FIFA guys, as Nintendo have done little to attract those type of games to the system and the games that have made it have lacked DLC, online modes and other key features.

Finally, they weren't aiming it at the non-gamers as it was too pricey and not as simple/user friendly.

Therein lies the problem: The system wasn't really aimed at anyone. It was an unfocused product which tried to do a little of everything but in doing so failed to do any one of those things well enough.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two key things you've missed off here:

1) Price

2) Marketing

The price of something heavily affects the demand. The Wii was very affordable at £175 with a 'must have' game packed in. The Wii U is £300 with a game packed in.

The marketing buzz for the Wii was massive and the adverts were everywhere and were clear and concise. Plus, Nintendo used an array of popular celebs in their ads! The Wii U has been marketed awfully, the name was confusing, the shots of just the pad added to this and the adverts have been few and far between and rather appalling!

3) There is also a third factor to the Wii's success: accessibility.

The Wii was highly accessible to non-gamers. It wasn't about analogue sticks, button combinations or the increasing complexity that has come with modern gaming. The Wii was about simplicity. You played tennis in a way ANYONE could understand, from a child to your gran, it was logical. The Wii U is the opposite of this. It is one of the most complex gaming set-ups I've ever seen and the gamepad would not be something non-gamers would naturally feel comfortable using.

Everything Nintendo did right with the Wii they seem to have done the opposite of with the Wii U! From an affordable, well marketed system that was open to all, they have gone to an expensive, poorly marketed mess that is confusing to those who loved the Wii!

The point is this: Who were they aiming this system at?

They weren't aiming it at the core gamer as the system doesn't push graphics, has a less than perfect online system and doesn't have all the features you would expect of a system in this generation.

They weren't aiming it at the COD and FIFA guys, as Nintendo have done little to attract those type of games to the system and the games that have made it have lacked DLC, online modes and other key features.

Finally, they weren't aiming it at the non-gamers as it was too pricey and not as simple/user friendly.

Therein lies the problem: The system wasn't really aimed at anyone. It was an unfocused product which tried to do a little of everything but in doing so failed to do any one of those things well enough.

the fact that it has a game pad would indicate they were aiming at the tablet generation and without knowing I would hazard a guess that tablets, which sell for a lot more than a Wii U sell in the hundreds of millions, so it's a logical business plan, tag on Nintendo stalwarts like us and good percentage of Wii buyers and it all makes perfect sense. It launched with COD and FIFA and a bunch of "hardcore" games so they really did have all bases covered. Sure DLC was missing but then there were game pad extras that needed adding to these games so you can forgive them for that. I think that Wii Sports HD and a focus on motion controls would do it the world of good, I'm sure a lot of people are totally unaware that you can still play using motion controls on Wii U which is the reason they bought a Wii in the first place.

It's not that it wasn't aimed at anyone, it was aimed at everyone and maybe that was the problem, they didn't target one particular audience.

Edited by Clownferret

The point of the matter is that they should never have concentrated upon the gamepad in the first place.

Is it an add on to the wii?

Is it a new handheld?

But will dropping the gamepad mean more confusion? Probably not to be honest its not like a lot of people know what the Wii U is anyway.

If only we had some kind of hip and zany video collection that would help us to figure out the answers to these questions!

At the moment, they're still going for just less than £50.

That's launch though, you have no choice but to pay those prices in order to have a game to play on your console. Serebii is trying to make the statement that games are going to be seriously expensive and probably basing it off unrealistically priced launch titles.

the fact that it has a game pad would indicate they were aiming at the tablet generation and without knowing I would hazard a guess that tablets, which sell for a lot more than a Wii U sell in the hundreds of millions, so it's a logical business plan, tag on Nintendo stalwarts like us and good percentage of Wii buyers and it all makes perfect sense. It launched with COD and FIFA and a bunch of "hardcore" games so they really did have all bases covered. Sure DLC was missing but then there were game pad extras that needed adding to these games so you can forgive them for that. I think that Wii Sports HD and a focus on motion controls would do it the world of good, I'm sure a lot of people are totally unaware that you can still play using motion controls on Wii U which is the reason they bought a Wii in the first place.

It's not that it wasn't aimed at anyone, it was aimed at everyone and maybe that was the problem, they didn't target one particular audience.

I hope not as that makes no sense. By the time the Wii U launched tablets were old news. People have already used ipads, kindle fire's etc. If anything the Wii U looks works as the gamepad as a stand alone product isnt as good as the tablets on the market.

Inspired by the 2DS. What if a more 'accessible' Wii U bundle released with the Pro Controller instead of the Gamepad. With a hefty price cut, and perhaps with minor console upgrades - would this be a good move?

I do feel that the Gamepad is not essential, and shouldn't really be the main marketing tool for the console - just like the Snes, N64 and GC. Obviously the games and the hardware (accessibility to 3rd parties = more games) should be the main pushers for a consoles appeal.

Would you have bought a Wii U if it was just the Console and a Pro Controller?

That would be a disastrous decision.

The original Wiimote was originally designed as a Gamecube accessory. And the thing with accessories is that they're rarely a success. Look at the N64 expansion pack: not even all first party games released after supported it.

And that's the thing: Nintendo are packing the tablet in with each unit, so that all developers will support it. Without it, no developer will dare to make a game that contains features which require the gamepad.

The gamepad is the Wii U's USP. Without it, it's just a bland, underpowered console. With it, it's unique and interresting, although few games have made good use of the tablet yet.

And of course, as the console's already been out with the accessory included with every unit, the roster for players who buy this stripped package will be... non-existent. Not to mention the confusion as to which future releases they'll be and not be able to play. People now have trouble telling the Wii U and the Wii apart. What do you think will happen when they'll have to pick Wii U with gamepad and Wii U without gamepad games? Mom will buy a Wii U without gamepad, because she's a cheapskate, grandma will then buy Wii U with gamepad games, because that's what four year old Billy wants to play. And that's how christmas that year was ruined. And not to mention how the 1983 video game crash happened.

If such a decision doesen't kill the game industry, at least it'll be the last nail in the coffin for the Wii U.

Selling the Wii U without a pad is in other words an assinine idea.

Wouldnt it just be like the PS4/Vita. Optional

We'll see how many games that support it. As a game developer, I can tell you that if we release our games for the Wii U, it'll support the gamepad and do interresting things with it, because all Wii U's will have it. If we release stuff for the PS4, we won't have aditional Vita options (probably not even off-screen play) because not all potential customers will have it. It'll be a waste of resources.

We'll see how many games that support it. As a game developer, I can tell you that if we release our games for the Wii U, it'll support the gamepad and do interresting things with it, because all Wii U's will have it. If we release stuff for the PS4, we won't have aditional Vita options (probably not even off-screen play) because not all potential customers will have it. It'll be a waste of resources.

Im pretty sure they've said all PS4 games will have off-screen play. I think its something built into the system, not that devs have to do.

Im pretty sure they've said all PS4 games will have off-screen play. I think its something built into the system, not that devs have to do.

Yep, was going to say this Hogge. All PS4 games are meant to have off screen play. It'll be a much cooler setup for off screen gaming than the Wii U. All games will have it, but you're not forced to get a Vita / buy one with the system. Plus the Vita has some pretty sweet games of its own.

Is it /will it not also be the case that you can remote play over WiFi too?

where do you shop?

Long list of cheap games

and these were all brand new games. shop around.

Don't get me wrong. Now that all interest in the console has completely tanked, yes you can find cheap games around. I was going to say that it's hard to find games cheap when they first come out but Lego City is the only game I've bought since launch as nothing else interested me.

What I was getting at was that even if you do shop online, these are still generally more expensive than previous generations. The 3DS was awful for game prices at first as well.

I don't see the situation getting any better with the PS4 and XBon eand yes, it is still a piss take when you compare it to things like the PC market. I might spend more on a PC initially but it pays in spades game cost wise.

Anyway, this is really getting away from what I was really saying originally (and you so artfully dodged) which was that for a massive group of people the current generation consoles will serve them just fine.

The Vita Remote Play is more of a hardware thing, not something controlled via the software, though. It's built into the OS

Also, it's not all games. Ones which use the camera are not capable of it

Just like off-screen play isn't compatible with all Wii U titles. I think ultimately, the percentage on both consoles will be fairly close.

Anyway, I think really you could ask two questions;

1) What if Nintendo sold a Wii U console without the GamePad now?

2) What if Nintendo never included the Wii U GamePad in the first place?

I think people are alternating between those two points at the moment.

Just like off-screen play isn't compatible with all Wii U titles. I think ultimately, the percentage on both consoles will be fairly close.

I wouldnt say that close, its a choice for devs on the Wii U if they do it or not.

Not that it really matters, if they arent doing off screen play then they should be doing something else with the second screen.

Im just glad Sony decided to use the Vita as just off screen and not a second screen like they tried with LittleBigPlanet. Im sure its fine for a lot of you but I never really liked having to split my focus between the 2 screens when I played my Wii U.

Anyway, I think really you could ask two questions;

1) What if Nintendo sold a Wii U console without the GamePad now?

2) What if Nintendo never included the Wii U GamePad in the first place?

I think people are alternating between those two points at the moment.

I think I've given my thoughts on the second point, I believe the gamepad was a bad idea for several reasons - price, inaccessibility and an overall shaky premise. You can read my thoughts over this thread.

However, what should Nintendo do now? I don't think they should drop it now they've got it. It is central to the whole idea of the system, it isn't like the 3D on the 3DS which can just be 'turned off'.

So if they're not going to drop the gamepad what do I think they should do?

1) Price: they need to get it price competitive, especially with the PS4 coming out soon. The new bundles are a good start! It has to fall near or within the impulse buy range.

2) Advertising and marketing: they need good adverts that clearly explain it is a new console, has great Nintendo exclusives and Nintendo should have a dig at the other manufacturers too ie fully backwards compatible, FREE online play, no restrictions etc. Then they need to sit down with retailers and get it on shelves.

3) The gamepad: They need to make it relevant. The Wii Remote was relevant as it allowed you to play games in a new way - in a way that was intuitive and fun. The gamepad does somethings that other consoles simply don't. One of them is the drawing. Nintendo need to get a AAA art package out. They need to show the gamepad doing things that are both fun and creative. Show a mum and her daughter sat drawing a beautiful picture of Zelda and then sending it to their friends on Miiverse. Then they can show the video calls, again it could be kids talking about the drawings, or two friends overseas making a long distance call for free. The Wii sold to families who wanted to play games together and have simple fun that everyone could get involved in. That is what they should emphasise the gamepad doing.

The sad thing is, all of the above should have been done at launch. What's more a stand out AAA drawing package should have been available at launch. They need to market the system on the things that make it unique, fun and accessible to the masses. Nintendo should have done a game like Scribblenaughts where you designed the clothing and equipment for your character, drawing it on the touch pad then going online and showing off the custom armour/gear to your friends.

The whole 'asymmetric' gameplay is a bust. It is hard to explain, in reality very expensive to do and is anything but intuitive and accessible. Nintendo need to make the gamepad about creativity and imagination coming to life.