Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

What are Nintendo going to do next generation regarding voice chat? They can't continue to keep their head buried in the sand, surely. It may not be a deciding factor but I'm sure Nintendo's stance on voice chat plays some role in peoples purchasing decisions.

Same as this gen I'd imagine. They clearly don't see it as important for their games.

How many of their games have supported voice chat for their last 2 home consoles.

Wii

Animal Crossing via Wii Speak

Wii U

Smash Bros (lobby only)

Mario Kart 8 (lobby only)

I can't think of anymore...

I'm not offering an opinion on the voice chat experience itself, just people's obsession with it. When they talk about MK8 and Smash cheating them out of their money because of no voice chat, it just gets a little sad and ridiculous. That's what I find mind-boggling. This constant, never-ending fixation with it.
Maybe because its 2015, and it's omission from an online multiplayer, by todays standards, is frankly a bit ridiculous.

Maybe because its 2015, and it's omission from an online multiplayer, by todays standards, is frankly a bit ridiculous.

It's because of the whole "kids speaking with dodgy adult strangers" potential they want no part of, nothing to do with tech.

It's because of the whole "kids speaking with dodgy adult strangers" potential they want no part of, nothing to do with tech.

1. That's what parental controls for. 2. Give us with friends then. 3. How many children have been raped because of chatting to someone playing little big planet 3......

1. That's what parental controls for. 2. Give us with friends then. 3. How many children have been raped because of chatting to someone playing little big planet 3......

1. How many parents actually bother using parental controls or realise they exist. A minority I would imagine.

2. Miiverse is filled with people saying "Add me as a friend!" to randomers. It's hardly the biggest hurdle.

3. Not worth answering

What age are todays parents? They didn't grow in the Great Depression, rolling a hoop with a stick as a kid or buy black & white mint humbugs and listened to the wireless. Even if say the average is 45 or 50, it's probably much less they know what technology is. Most probably own a smart phone, they know how to use that so no excuses. It's really easy to set up parental controls. It's got a prominent icon on the main screen and Nintendo nearly hand hold you through the whole process. Ignorance is no excuse. You know what you're buying, there's enough media coverage of what happens on consoles. I call it lazy parenting or couldn't give a $h1t parenting as long little Johnny isn't in my hair.

Edited by Wii

Parents, please understand...

1. How many parents actually bother using parental controls or realise they exist. A minority I would imagine.

2. Miiverse is filled with people saying "Add me as a friend!" to randomers. It's hardly the biggest hurdle.

3. Not worth answering

Other consoles and PCs don't have huge problems as far as I've personally heard. Sure, you hear the odd right-wing media piece now and then, but by and large things have got by.

Even swearing there are ways around it voice chat only with friends and yes you may have people adding random people but really how much should a company stay in the past to circumvent people finding ways around these things?

What age are todays parents? They didn't grow in the Great Depression, rolling a hoop with a stick as a kid or buy black & white mint humbugs and listened to the wireless. Even if say the average is 45 or 50, it's probably much less they know what technology is. Most probably own a smart phone, they know how to use that so no excuses. It's really easy to set up parental controls. It's got a prominent icon on the main screen and Nintendo nearly hand hold you through the whole process. Ignorance is no excuse. You know what you're buying, there's enough media coverage of what happens on consoles. I call it lazy parenting or couldn't give a $h1t parenting as long little Johnny isn't in my hair.

This is actually an interesting point in some regards. If Nintendo/DeNA do really tighten up the online services and allow for it across platforms (i.e. smartphones) they could have parental controls quite clearly available within the smartphone app. Parents might be more likely to keep an eye on what is happening there.

Edited by Ashley
Automerged Doublepost

3. Not worth answering

Stop being an apologist, if parental controls don't work, don't use them. It's nintendos repsobility ether parents use them or not, they've done their side of the bargain by having parental controls. This is just an idiotic justification!

I'm not offering an opinion on the voice chat experience itself, just people's obsession with it. When they talk about MK8 and Smash cheating them out of their money because of no voice chat, it just gets a little sad and ridiculous. That's what I find mind-boggling. This constant, never-ending fixation with it.

Here's the fixation with it Ronnie:

When I see my friends, we talk to each other. We don't just sit in silence that'd be lame. If we were to game locally, we wouldn't sit there in silence, that would be lame.

So when I game with my friends online, I still want to talk to them, so that it's not lame.

It basically boils down to this. I'm a sociable person and a MULTIplayer experience should be a social thing... without the ability to talk to my friends, it's not.

How you can't grasp this only leads me to believe you have no friends at all.

Here's the fixation with it Ronnie:

When I see my friends, we talk to each other. We don't just sit in silence that'd be lame. If we were to game locally, we wouldn't sit there in silence, that would be lame.

So when I game with my friends online, I still want to talk to them, so that it's not lame.

It basically boils down to this. I'm a sociable person and a MULTIplayer experience should be a social thing... without the ability to talk to my friends, it's not.

I get it. Dear god I get it. You've repeated your stance a million times. I know why you want voice chat. I know how important it is to you. I know how much it adds to multiplayer games. Can we please please please just move on now?

@Ronnie maybe if you really are interested in 'leaving it be' you won't keep saying things to the effect of 'I don't get why people are so obsessed...'. All you're doing there is basically accusing people of being strange or not fitting into your idealised bracket of how people should enjoy games.

Will you keep pointing out 'oh another voice chat debate' or 'why are people so obsessed with it'? If you will then we can assume you want the arguments to go on.

Edited by Sheikah

@Ronnie maybe if you really are interested in 'leaving it be' you won't keep saying things to the effect of 'I don't get why people are so obsessed...'. All you're doing there is basically accusing people of being strange or not fitting into your idealised bracket of how people should enjoy games.

Will you keep pointing out 'oh another voice chat debate' or 'why are people so obsessed with it'? If you will then we can assume you want the arguments to go on.

Took the words out of my mouth Sheikah!

MARIO PARTY 10 (Honest Game Trailers)

Absolutely f***ing hilarious. QFT. :laughing:

Mildly amusing despite factual errors. There is HD Mario, and a Zelda on the way, and Nintendo ARE doing a new console. Crap like that is why Nintendo revealed the bloody NX in the first place.

It may be in jest, but considering the reach, that can be damaging.

Edited by Serebii

MARIO PARTY 10 (Honest Game Trailers)

Absolutely f***ing hilarious. QFT. :laughing:

Haha. That was awesome, even if it was having a pop at me ( playing Mario Party on my tod and collecting Amiibo ). :D

Mildly amusing despite factual errors. There is HD Mario, and a Zelda on the way, and Nintendo ARE doing a new console. Crap like that is why Nintendo revealed the bloody NX in the first place.

It may be in jest, but considering the reach, that can be damaging.

Geez, lighten up. No need to get all defensive. :rolleyes: