Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Well I agree. But Nintendo are conservatives with online play, and online sequels can be a major game changer.

But Nintendo needed to show that they had it straight away, especially after promising that the "box would be ticked". So far, we're still waiting.

Do we really have to have this sensationally dull debate every month or so?! I don't mind chatting about what we want nintendo to fix with the wii u, I was it was so incredibly negative and doom mongering, but Nintendo havent given much to instil faith I guess. But please can we not talk about Nintendo going third party, it just encourages the king of the trolls to spew bile on the forum.

Nintendo are atrocious online, mind bogglingly inept, Donkey Kong was a decent effort though and Mario Kart will be the big test. Can't we all be positive and excited about Mario Kart and then turn on NIntendo if they unleash online wank?!

I agree these types of conversations can be boring, but people have got to talk about something for 2 months.

So...

...Does anyone think Nintendo will ever move into VR? (Not counting the VB)

Not until they can put their own twist on it.

Nintendo try to lead, not to follow, which has been their error in many cases, but in many more it has been their strength.

I agree these types of conversations can be boring, but people have got to talk about something for 2 months.

ha, true! But why not come up with solutions and ideas rather than "3rd party!!" there's no new and definitely not intelligent debate to be had with this argument.

For example you can voice chat ad such in Need for Speed, Monster Hunter etc. So it's certainly possible, so is this more about NIntendo and their own games specifically? Is it simply voice chat which is a sore point for people? So if Mario Kart has a perfectly functional online with voice chat people would be happy?

That sounds negative, I didn't mean it to, I don't mean functional as in bare bones, but more that it works!!

As for the resurrection of the wii u? Again, let's just presume Nintendo are going to pull out amazing games and aren't going to kill off the machine and ride it out (I thnk it was this with the last two years with the wii that helped make the wii u so problematic)

Yeah there's not much to talk around these parts other than maybe why the VC is so poor :zzz:

We can talk about the latest episode of NWR. At least me and you can. You listened to this weeks episode yet?

I'm finding it weird that they had to apologise for their views on Smash Bros being played in a competitive level. James was hilarious as always, with him refusing to apologise. :D

I found their criticism about DKCTFs coop mode quite interesting. Having not played the game with someone else I didn't realise it had such issues.

lol it's basically take your pick of a bad bunch at the moment :p

Is this not trolling?

How is it? I wasn't being specific! But we talk about this inane crap, and the same people will spout the same boring, baiting rubbish. This forum has descended into it so many times and no ones gets anywhere!

Let's chat about things, debate things, have discussion.

Virtual Console. Are people excited about GBA games in the next couple of weeks? Think it will be the start of more games?! I'm actually quite looking forward to it actually, but depends on what games they bring out!

How is it? I wasn't being specific! But we talk about this inane crap, and the same people will spout the same boring, baiting rubbish. This forum has descended into it so many times and no ones gets anywhere!

Let's chat about things, debate things, have discussion.

Virtual Console. Are people excited about GBA games in the next couple of weeks? Think it will be the start of more games?! I'm actually quite looking forward to it actually, but depends on what games they bring out!

It depends on how they look. The GBA games on the 3DS looked washed out. Hopefully these will look better. It also depends on what kind of games they dish out. Some Advance Wars and Golden Sun would do nicely.

In an attempt to get some form of discussion, how do you envisage they might be able to put their own twist on VR?

Hard to say. Perhaps spearhead thought control gaming somewhat. Something that makes VR actually more immersive rather than an amazing immersive headset but oh wait, you're using a controller or mouse/keyboard.

We can talk about the latest episode of NWR. At least me and you can. You listened to this weeks episode yet?

I'm finding it weird that they had to apologise for their views on Smash Bros being played in a competitive level. James was hilarious as always, with him refusing to apologise. :D

I found their criticism about DKCTFs coop mode quite interesting. Having not played the game with someone else I didn't realise it had such issues.

Yeah I listened to it yesterday :) I completely agree with the Donkey Kong thing...the multiplayer was just abysmal for me as my girlfriend, whilst being able to complete SM3DW was not able to do well at all with Donkey Kong as the camera is just horrendous. It's so frustrating that the gamepad doesn't follow P1 whenever they go even slightly ahead so the TV camera can follow P2...That would seriously solve all the issues we've had with it :(

I was disappointed by the comments on Smash Bros. tbh and I think they missed the point completely. The competitive community started off by using items and all the levels but eventually got rid of them. For James to basically say that not using items requires less skill and that they've shut the community/game off to so many people was completely wide of the mark. Whilst he's funny as hell most of the time, he came across clueless in this episode.

I enjoyed the rest of the episode though :)

Yeah I listened to it yesterday :) I completely agree with the Donkey Kong thing...the multiplayer was just abysmal for me as my girlfriend, whilst being able to complete SM3DW was not able to do well at all with Donkey Kong as the camera is just horrendous. It's so frustrating that the gamepad doesn't follow P1 whenever they go even slightly ahead so the TV camera can follow P2...That would seriously solve all the issues we've had with it :(

I was disappointed by the comments on Smash Bros. tbh and I think they missed the point completely. The competitive community started off by using items and all the levels but eventually got rid of them. For James to basically say that not using items requires less skill and that they've shut the community/game off to so many people was completely wide of the mark. Whilst he's funny as hell most of the time, he came across clueless in this episode.

I enjoyed the rest of the episode though :)

I found the JRPG Virtual Console discussion interesting. If those games had been released then it would have plugged up release gaps nicely.

I also enjoyed their Bravely Default banter. It was an interesting point that was made when they said how this game is supposed to be a throwback to early JRPGs yet it's about twice as long as those and overstays it's welcome.

I found the JRPG Virtual Console discussion interesting. If those games had been released then it would have plugged up release gaps nicely.

I also enjoyed their Bravely Default banter. It was an interesting point that was made when they said how this game is supposed to be a throwback to early JRPGs yet it's about twice as long as those and overstays it's welcome.

Agreed on both accounts. I was interested in Bravely Default but the game seems to have a lot of padding, and I'm not spending 60 hours on a game when only 20-30 hours are any good.

I enjoyed the Metroidvania chat towards the end too..One of my fav genres :)

Hard to say. Perhaps spearhead thought control gaming somewhat. Something that makes VR actually more immersive rather than an amazing immersive headset but oh wait, you're using a controller or mouse/keyboard.

You know what the VR needs? It needs the return of the Power Glove!* This time, one for each hand. Being able to see your individual fingers move exactly in a VR environment would be a pretty big step.

Although it would also need that omni-directional treadmill thing.

*Yes, I'm aware that the Power Glove isn't a Nintendo device.

I haven't looked into it or read up on it, but I read somewhere that Sony had a version of Infamous running at GDC where you control the main character with your eyes, looking at where you want him to go, or something like that, and the feedback was really positive.

EDIT

here: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/03/20/gdc-controlling-infamous-second-son-with-your-eyes

And ok, it was just camera control and a few other things, but still.

Edited by Retro_Link

Agreed on both accounts. I was interested in Bravely Default but the game seems to have a lot of padding, and I'm not spending 60 hours on a game when only 20-30 hours are any good.

I enjoyed the Metroidvania chat towards the end too..One of my fav genres :)

Was it Jonny who told the story about IGA? It was great how he sent him an autograph in that cloth envelope/satchel. :D

Dude seemed like a really likeable and stand up guy.

You know what the VR needs? It needs the return of the Power Glove!* This time, one for each hand. Being able to see your individual fingers move exactly in a VR environment would be a pretty big step.

Although it would also need that omni-directional treadmill thing.

*Yes, I'm aware that the Power Glove isn't a Nintendo device.

For some reason, when I read your first point I was reminded of this TED talk:

I know it's not entirely related but I do think utilising something like what he created (years ago I should add, using a webcam and the innards of a mouse) in conjunction with a VR headset could yield some very interesting and cool results. If done right, you could in essence remove the controller entirely with something like that.

I would explode over a VR Metroid Prime sequel.

All those feelings of immersion you experience in the game, looking up into the the rain, rain driving against your visor, your visor steaming up, the heads-up-display, scanning, lock-ons, all happening directly in your own field of vision, it would all be heightened even further. [Of course it wouldn't be Samus then but] They could even reflect your own face in the visor :D etc...

I would explode over a VR Metroid Prime sequel.

All those feelings of immersion you experience in the game, looking up into the the rain, rain driving against your visor, your visor steaming up, the heads-up-display, scanning, lock-ons, all happening directly in your own field of vision, it would all be heightened even further. [Of course it wouldn't be Samus then but] They could even reflect your own face in the visor :D etc...

Might actually be cooler if it reflected Samus' face and it mimicked your own. That would be trippy.

Everyone remember those Nintendo ON rumours back from before the Wii launched? That was awesome. Shame the reality was so...underwhelming.

All I want from VR is an Endless Ocean sequel.

Seriously, that would be amazing.

It sucks there isn't one for Wii U, let alone VR. You could be in third person on the TV and the gamepad screen acting as your first person camera, video recorder etc...

Might actually be cooler if it reflected Samus' face and it mimicked your own. That would be trippy.

Everyone remember those Nintendo ON rumours back from before the Wii launched? That was awesome. Shame the reality was so...underwhelming.

Just had to remind myself of its greatness :p