NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

It would be quite cool to have a huge, open world Mario, where all the levels are joined together and transition from one to the next seamlessly..

I'm sure I posted about this before but I reckon an interesting idea would be to build a world into the next Nintendo console that basically acts as a hub area for a multitude of games.

For instance, if they decided to build a large Mario play area into the console that you could do your normal platforming and adventuring in with areas locked away that would eventually become unlocked once new games were released and purchased.

There may be tennis courts, golf courses and go-karting areas that you would be able to access when you buy the appropriate Mario games when they're released. The sections in the hub world could act as a demo for each game that you would perhaps get Power Stars for competing in but there's be an entire game underneath if you buy it.

If all these games were downloaded on the system, there's be a massive seamless world that could you access all these games from. A 3D Mario World, Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Football etc all linked together could be special :heh: Nintendo could easily advertise to consumers when new areas or activities are available too :hehe:

Likewise, if they went with something like Wu-Hu Island as a hub instead, you could freely explore it and pay to unlock areas like the tennis courts or jet-ski racing either via day passes or unlocking them forever. You'd only have to pay for the sections you want to visit. There's even be planes and hang gliders to help get around and enter Pilotwings-style challenges. The seasons would also changed based on the internal clock, altering the scenery and perhaps sme of the challenges available.

It'd be great to meet up with your friends on Wu-Hu Island and seamlessly head off to do activities together, whilst being able to communicate with voice chat and never having to switch out game discs or anything..

I'm sorry, sir.. you DO need to play it :heh:

What I will say about it is that the initial levels are actually quite boring, but that stems from them basically acting as tutotial levels for new players to cut their teeth on Mario. They can't just throw us all in at the deep end, as much as we may want them too :indeed:

It definitely improves, though, with some great levels and a final stage that will test your skills to the limit : peace:

Each to their own, though. There are plenty of games I know I don't want just by looking at them..

I take your point about the earlier levels and they do look extremely boring and easy. It seems really easy until the very end when there's some real challenge but I'm repeating myself again, I've said this before. I don't like the easiness, the linearity, the naff cat suits, the isometric view with limited camera movement, the running by pressing a button, stamps(yawn), the focus more on multiplayer, the 2.5D and the fact they copy and pasted 3D Land. And throw in no online along with the kitchen sink. I've not said it's a bad game, the reviews say differently. I just don't like it.

I take your point about the earlier levels and they do look extremely boring and easy. It seems really easy until the very end when there's some real challenge but I'm repeating myself again, I've said this before. I don't like the easiness, the linearity, the naff cat suits, the isometric view with limited camera movement, the running by pressing a button, stamps(yawn), the focus more on multiplayer, the 2.5D and the fact they copy and pasted 3D Land. And throw in no online along with the kitchen sink. I've not said it's a bad game, the reviews say differently. I just don't like it.

spm_complaining_425px.jpg

Says it all really!

No harm in that, dude : peace: There have been many games over the years that have got high praise that just aren't for me either!

It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. Buy games because you want them, not because others tell you you should want them. I haven't bought things like The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 for the simple fact that I just don't have much of an interest :heh:

- It's not easy

- The levels are gorgeous so what does it matter if it's isometric?

- There isn't a focus on multiplayer, it's a single player game with the option of more people

- Running by pressing a button, cat suits, stamps and "2.5D" aren't reasons to not play a GOTY contender

Copy/pasted 3D Land? Literally nothing from 3D Land exists in this game except the characters/enemies.

HAHAHAHAHA

This has got to be one of the best posts you've ever done!

Someone should do a compilation of your tripe and we should all vote on which is the stand out nonsensical post.

Have you ever played Superman 64? Widely regarded as one of the $h1ttiest games ever made. Unless you've played it and this applies to anything you ever criticise in life, unless you've been there, done that, lived it and worn the T-shirt, according to you you've no right to bad mouth it? Right! I don't need to play something to know I don't like it. Didn't say it was bad, I said I don't like it.

I have played Skyward Sword, finished it and didn't like it. Will that or has that stopped my hype for the new Zelda? Hell no! I don't hate any other Zelda game, in fact I love them all. I don't hate any other Mario game. I don't hate 3D World, I just don't like it.

Remember, it's just my opinion. And before you start going on about Superman 64, it's just an example. Take your pick of notorious bad games.

Your argument would make a lot more sense if you used a GOTY contender as an example, instead of a notoriously bad game. Disliking the stamps functionality, and most of the other flimsy aspects you put down isn't a reason not to play such a well-loved Nintendo EAD game.

Can you all just let this drop, Wii doesn't like Super Mario 3D World. End of.

What is this thread called again, Wii U General Discussion. Discuss it.

If you want to continue discussing 3D World, go here

People come to this thread to discuss the Wii U and all they get is this every day.

Wow and I only beat your cringiest post EVER according to him from yesterday. I wonder what tomorrows winner will be? Must be the easiest title to win. Way to drama tRonnie!

This reminds me of the "since records began" gag.

That first day when records began was surely extraordinary.

Tbf Ronnie, you haven't played the vast majority of the games you're always slagging the Other Consoles off for, because you say they just don't appeal to you and are all the same.

I'd like to think I made a decent post about half an hour ago but it's just gonna get lost amongst all this nonsense. Is it really any wonder there's never much in the way of decent discussion in here? Most of the worthwhile contributors seem to avoid this thread like the plague.. and for good reason!

Knock it on the head, guys. I'll make one all-encompassing statement that neglects the need to take sides in this current argument. You're ALL idiots :blank:

Copy/pasted 3D Land? Literally nothing from 3D Land exists in this game except the characters/enemies.

Well it was born out of 3D Land. I've heard it said that the view worked for the 3DS because of the 3D and that in 3D World sometimes it was harder to know where you were in relation exactly say for example if you were hitting an item block. I played a bit of 3D Land, didn't like it either. But then I can't see the 3D on the 3DS, partly why I never bought one. Hopefully the New 3DS changes that with its improved 3D.

Tbf Ronnie, you haven't played the vast majority of the games you're always slagging the Other Consoles off for, because you say they just don't appeal to you and are all the same.

Fair enough but the difference is I'm not slagging off the actual game, I'm sure they're great games, just commenting on the necessity for so many similar genres.

You don't need to play 3D World to understand what the gameplay and level design is like if you're familiar with 3D Land as the philosophy is the same.

That's like saying 'But you've only played Assassin's Creed II, how do you know you don't like the third game?!'. Or how some people hate level design and gameplay in certain genres (like how @Serebii doesn't like turn based games..if he doesn't like one game in a franchise he probably won't like the rest!).

Honestly, just because a game reviews well doesn't mean everyone has to like it. Does everyone adore GTA? CoD?

Well it was born out of 3D Land. I've heard it said that the view worked for the 3DS because of the 3D and that in 3D World sometimes it was harder to know where you were in relation exactly say for example if you were hitting an item block. I played a bit of 3D Land, didn't like it either. But then I can't see the 3D on the 3DS, partly why I never bought one. Hopefully the New 3DS changes that with its improved 3D.

That's fair enough, but really it's being overblown. Unlike 3D Land where it really is essentially a fixed perspective, the camera is far more fluid in 3D World. It's not snapped into being isometric. Many parts are no different to the camera of Mario 64 etc., except you can't rotate it 180 degrees. I had no issues with distance from jumping, and whether or not you'll hit a block or land properly in it.

That's a good point actually. I distinctly remember him passing much negative criticism towards non Nintendo games he'd never played not too long ago.

I'm sure I posted about this before but I reckon an interesting idea would be to build a world into the next Nintendo console that basically acts as a hub area for a multitude of games.

For instance, if they decided to build a large Mario play area into the console that you could do your normal platforming and adventuring in with areas locked away that would eventually become unlocked once new games were released and purchased.

There may be tennis courts, golf courses and go-karting areas that you would be able to access when you buy the appropriate Mario games when they're released. The sections in the hub world could act as a demo for each game that you would perhaps get Power Stars for competing in but there's be an entire game underneath if you buy it.

If all these games were downloaded on the system, there's be a massive seamless world that could you access all these games from. A 3D Mario World, Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Football etc all linked together could be special :heh: Nintendo could easily advertise to consumers when new areas or activities are available too :hehe:

Likewise, if they went with something like Wu-Hu Island as a hub instead, you could freely explore it and pay to unlock areas like the tennis courts or jet-ski racing either via day passes or unlocking them forever. You'd only have to pay for the sections you want to visit. There's even be planes and hang gliders to help get around and enter Pilotwings-style challenges. The seasons would also changed based on the internal clock, altering the scenery and perhaps sme of the challenges available.

It'd be great to meet up with your friends on Wu-Hu Island and seamlessly head off to do activities together, whilst being able to communicate with voice chat and never having to switch out game discs or anything..

I really like that idea if I understand it correctly, bolded the main bit I latched onto..basically buying a game would give you a bit of extra dlc into the hub game, right? A bit like how amiibo work for games? or like how a mario 3d world save game unlocks those bonus levels in captain toad?

I really like that idea if I understand it correctly, bolded the main bit I latched onto..basically buying a game would give you a bit of extra dlc into the hub game, right? A bit like how amiibo work for games? or like how a mario 3d world save game unlocks those bonus levels in captain toad?

There's be a tennis court, for example, that would either be in the process of being constructed or be closed until Mario Tennis was officially released. Once released, it would basically open up the tennis court in the hub world as a demo for the full game that could then be bought and accessed as part of this open world (or you could just jump straight to it from a menu, I guess :heh:)

Effectively, you could meet up with your firends in the hub if you wanted and then head over to the courts for a game. The console would load up the content without having to swap games manually and then you could all return to the world afterwards to head over to the golf course together, perhaps racing each other over to it on go karts where, again, it would load up the Mario Golf data without having to switch out games!

There's be a tennis court, for example, that would either be in the process of being constructed or be closed until Mario Tennis was officially released. Once released, it would basically open up the tennis court in the hub world as a demo for the full game that could then be bought and accessed as part of this open world (or you could just jump straight to it from a menu, I guess :heh:)

Effectively, you could meet up with your firends in the hub if you wanted and then head over to the courts for a game. The console would load up the content without having to swap games manually and then you could all return to the world afterwards to head over to the golf course together, perhaps racing each other over to it on go karts where, again, it would load up the Mario Golf data without having to switch out games!

So basically that would have to be a fully digital console, for it to be seamless?

I like the idea a lot. Like Nintendoland, but expandable really?

Wasn't it Serebii who posted that "game" in Japan where they can pimp out their 3ds themes? so that could work a bit like that mini game in Nintendo land too.. and maybe full on buy themes 3ds style - Mushroom kingdom, Metroid universe, Starfox universe, DK jungle, maybe let 3rd parties have themes (EA/Ubisoft? ew. but yeah :D), seasonal themes (Easter, Christmas, Summer, Autumn, Spring)

and I guess themes could come with their own mini games - so an easter egg hunt, snowball fights, maybe creative arty bits.

I think they should do it!

So basically that would have to be a fully digital console, for it to be seamless?

I like the idea a lot. Like Nintendoland, but expandable really?

Wasn't it Serebii who posted that "game" in Japan where they can pimp out their 3ds themes? so that could work a bit like that mini game in Nintendo land too.. and maybe full on buy themes 3ds style - Mushroom kingdom, Metroid universe, Starfox universe, DK jungle, maybe let 3rd parties have themes (EA/Ubisoft? ew. but yeah :D), seasonal themes (Easter, Christmas, Summer, Autumn, Spring)

and I guess themes could come with their own mini games - so an easter egg hunt, snowball fights, maybe creative arty bits.

I think they should do it!

I think Miis navigating Wu-Hu would be preferable, especially for meeting up with friends, but there's no reason why there couldn't be an arcade to access other games, first or third party. Each game you buy could add that machine to the arcade, where there could also be a pool table and dart board for your Miis to play on together..

I think Miis navigating Wu-Hu would be preferable, especially for meeting up with friends, but there's no reason why there couldn't be an arcade to access other games, first or third party. Each game you buy could add that machine to the arcade, where there could also be a pool table and dart board for your Miis to play on together..

That would be all kinds of epic.

@Wii you've never played it?! I presumed you had you slag it off so much. There's a difference between saying it isn't for me, and actively, for a long time, saying it's shit and not very good. I'm sorry, but people can't have an opinion on something they haven't played! It's ridiculous. What a bizarre brain.

Anyways. Wii U. More game have gone on the american online store to buy virtual console games. Why isn't this happening here? Why is it only a few and not everything up there to buy?! I look forward to a full online shop to buy and download games on all the devices. Sure it's coming very soon!

I'm sure I'm not imagining Nintendo mentioning the next handheld would use a very similar infrastructure to the Wii U's, so VC games can be run on both sets of hardware, home console and handheld. When that happens I imagine the release rate will double, if not more.