NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

If NintendoLand had online multiplayer and voice chat it would have helped the Wii U hugely at the start. Imagine Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. Wii U had no online. Would they have sold as well, reviewed as well or be played as much? No on all counts.

Not sure about that. I don't think the market cared about Nintendoland regardless. I don't think online play would of made much difference.

The whole point of NintendoLand was to show of the asymmetrical gameplay the Gamepad offers for LOCAL multiplayer. Not everyone is as obsessed with online play, especially not for little mini games like that. Voice chat especially would have added nothing to Wii U launch sales.

Well considering how badly this game did, maybe more people are bothered by online gaming than you think.

I personally think it's an incredible local co op game. It'd also be a very good online game and mean I'd play it a LOT more. Also having online leaderboards on the single player stuff would help it out too. Hugely wasted opportunity this game.

Well considering how badly this game did, maybe more people are bothered by online gaming than you think.

I personally think it's an incredible local co op game. It'd also be a very good online game and mean I'd play it a LOT more. Also having online leaderboards on the single player stuff would help it out too. Hugely wasted opportunity this game.

3 million units as of March 2014. 3rd highest known sales for the Wii U. Hardly doing badly.

3 million units as of March 2014. 3rd highest known sales for the Wii U. Hardly doing badly.

How many of them were bundles? Also, I think it helped set the tone for the rest of the console (like Wii sports did), and also most gamers views on the game is bad (not all about sales) so I do think it did badly, irrespective of how much I love it. It exemplifies how out of touch nintendo were/are regards online/social/connected play.

How many of them were bundles? Also, I think it helped set the tone for the rest of the console (like Wii sports did), and also most gamers views on the game is bad (not all about sales) so I do think it did badly, irrespective of how much I love it. It exemplifies how out of touch nintendo were/are regards online/social/connected play.

What does it matter if it was in a bundle or not? Most games that sell well were in bundles.

The game was created to be local. It doesn't belong online. Going online completely misses the point of it.

What does it matter if it was in a bundle or not? Most games that sell well were in bundles.

The game was created to be local. It doesn't belong online. Going online completely misses the point of it.

Yeah it does, im sure you've jumped on people bringing up knacks sales with the same rebuttal.

How can you not see a game being bundled with launch systems is ALWAYS going to get decent sales figures? Doesn't mean it was a success.

I don't think online would miss the point, if the whole point is local multiplayer, why does it have single player games?

I could be wrong or I might have forgotten something, but I'm pretty sure that Nintendoland came with the Premium 32gb WiiU. So, if you wanted to get the version with the bigger hard drive, you had to get one of the bundles (think there was another with ZombiU and another with Lego City, but these were more expensive from what I remember)

The game should have had online modes included purely for the element of choice. It's not an either/or scenario where you could only have one or the other. There's no real excuse or reason why online wasn't included and it would have given many WiiU owners a multiplayer title that they can play both locally and online right out of the box. As a result of it, the game only gets used when we've got people over, whereas it could have been used daily.

The game itself is fine but I probably wouldn't have bought it had it not come with the console. As least, not full price. £4 or whatever for it is a great deal.

Don't mind him. He probably said it just to have a go at my point.

As @Fierce_LiNk said it's not a case of either/or. We can have both. Nintendo talked the talk about how they'll be embracing online this generation and it'll be the air that we breathe, yada, yada. So your launch game has no online? Great start.

Online can be used for mini games. Wii Sports Club says hello. Don't equate sales with quality @Serebii and a lot those if not nearly all were bundle sales. Remember Wii Play? How many gazillion sales did that have? And that was like a pair of Rab C Nesbitts jocks.

Don't mind him. He probably said it just to have a go at my point.

As @Fierce_LiNk said it's not a case of either/or. We can have both. Nintendo talked the talk about how they'll be embracing online this generation and it'll be the air that we breathe, yada, yada. So your launch game has no online? Great start.

Online can be used for mini games. Wii Sports Club says hello. Don't equate sales with quality @Serebii and a lot those if not nearly all were bundle sales. Remember Wii Play? How many gazillion sales did that have? And that was like a pair of Rab C Nesbitts jocks.

1. I never said that mini-games couldn't be online. I said the games in NintendoLand were designed for local multiplayer

2. I wasn't equating that. I was equating the phrase "do badly" which is more often than not equated to sales to sales, and then contested that statement.

Nintendoland is tripe, I got it for free as a gift, traded that fucker in straight away to pay towards a better game... although I'd have kept it if it had online with voice-chat. If it had online without voice-chàt I'd still have got rid of the fucker.

Not got Smash Bros because of the lack of voice-chat and I don't play on MK8 because of it's soulless online experience.

Nintendo need to get up to speed with online and communication. I'd play on my WiiU if they did.

Yes I'm going there, again. :p

Edited by Kav

Nintendo Land as a Wii Sports type demo game was great and should have been bundled with every console. It's certainly not a game I would go out and buy. However, if they (like Wii Sports Resort) released an updated/improved sequel with online and voice chat it could be a great game.

Nintendoland is tripe, I got it for free as a gift, traded that fucker in straight away to pay towards a better game... although I'd have kept it if it had online with voice-chat. If it had online without voice-chàt I'd still have got rid of the fucker. Not got Smash Bros because of the lack of voice-chat

That's probably the cringiest post I've ever read on here, I truly despair at gaming when reading things like the above. If speaking to mates is more important than the game itself, maybe a mobile phone is more your thing, it has games on it too.

Nintendo Land could have been a classic, but it was ruined by what it didn't do, not what it did do!

I really enjoyed the games and got a lot out of some of them.

I actually played it this Christmas with some of my family and it was still fun. But what Nintendo don't seem to realise is that the times you can gather around with people are few and far between.

If it did have online, leaderboards and a community I would still be playing it now as some of the experiences are very compelling. The Luigi's Mansion game and Mario Chase would be a blast online - so would the Zelda and Pikmin games.

It just felt like a missed opportunity - and as a game that was so multiplayer focused, not being able to play it with others is a major issue.

EDIT: Also, just because it is aimed at local multiplayer doesn't mean playing it online ruins it. I'm not sure how me enjoying it online harms others enjoying it locally. The fact is, if it's not online I simply don't play it. Nintendo not including online isn't going to force me to invite people over, it just forces me not to play the game.

Edited by Zechs Merquise

The key concept for Nintendoland and the Wii U itself was all about asymmetrical game play and that's only possible with local muliplayer. It's a shame it's not online but you can understand why they wanted to concentrate on local fun and not confuse the message.

Lol, confusing the message is about all Nintendo achieved this generation so that can't be their excuse.

Asymmetric now is it? Not off TV gameplay? Asymmetrical gameplay locally was a product of the fact that only one person could use the gamepad at a time. It was a limitation of the product not something deliberately they sat around brainstorming about how they'd create asymmetric games. Besides games could be played online asymmetrically.

Asymmetric now is it? Not off TV gameplay?

Both, and it was always about it. They talked about asymmetrical gameplay constantly at the E3 before the release. It's why games like the Luigi's mansion or Mario Chase mini games of Nintendoland are so well loved.

Besides games could be played online asymmetrically.

Except that defeats the purpose, the whole point is to have two or more people in the same room looking at different things and getting different experiences.

That's probably the cringiest post I've ever read on here, I truly despair at gaming when reading things like the above. If speaking to mates is more important than the game itself, maybe a mobile phone is more your thing, it has games on it too.

Nothing beats gaming online with your mates on a decent game. It is the reason why I enjoy gaming so much. I don't really game local multiplayer as its not often I have friends round to game that much. Online therefore is the only way.

All this hatred for NintendoLand. The game was good for what it was, guys.

Although I totally understand why some people would want online features, it not having it does not automatically make it a bad game. Missed opportunity, maybe. But not bad.

This post is idiotic beyond belief. Seriously, wow!

If I'm gaming with my friends online I want to be chatting whilst playing via party chat (for example). Yes, talking to my friends whilst gaming is that important.

You wouldn't play locally with your friends and not talk to them would you, just sit there in silence?!

This post is idiotic beyond belief. Seriously, wow!

If I'm gaming with my friends online I want to be chatting whilst playing via party chat (for example). Yes, talking to my friends whilst gaming is that important.

You wouldn't play locally with your friends and not talk to them would you, just sit there in silence?!

My point was about your priorities and how voice chat seems more important than the game itself. From your original post:

NintendoLand without online: "fucking tripe"

NintendoLand with online and voice chat: good enough to keep

NintendoLand with online but no voice chat: fucking tripe

:indeed:

Edited by Ronnie

My point was about how you seem to play games just for the fact that you can talk to your mates. From your original post:

NintendoLand without online: "fucking tripe"

NintendoLand with online and voice chat: good enough to keep

NintendoLand with online but no voice chat: fucking tripe

:indeed:

Good enough to keep because I can at least have a laugh with my mates by joking with them etc. the game will still be tripe but I got it for free so I'd have kept it.

It's like MK8, I don't play it much because I find it soulless playing online when I can't chat to my mates. If we could talk I'd be on it much more, I'd have joined and played in the MK League but because you can't chat whilst racing it's just not fun enough to play much.

Edited by Kav

So, "I don't play fantastic games because I can't chat to my mates". You have to ask yourself if you actually enjoy games with an attitude like that. Seems a very strange view to have IMO. Why not enjoy the games themselves? There's a reason why most of Nintendo's first party efforts score in the 9's and over, they're fantastic.

So, "I don't play fantastic games because I can't chat to my mates". You have to ask yourself if you actually enjoy games with an attitude like that. Seems a very strange view to have IMO. Why not enjoy the games themselves? There's a reason why most of Nintendo's first party efforts score in the 9's and over, they're fantastic.

Wow. Again, wow.

I don't think MK8 is fantastic, it's just that simple. I've always preferred the Battle Mode to the races in MKs which is another reason I'm not too keen on MK8.

I do enjoy plenty of games. Some I'll enjoy that others don't, opinions can work like that funnily enough.

What you've got to grasp is simply this: multiplayer gaming with your friends is always more fun when you can chat to each other.

Nintendo need to get with the times. Online, voice chat should be the norm now. It's not the 80's anymore. The technology is freely available now and a lot of other developers are using it. It is part of the reason Nintendo are so irrelevant in a lot of peoples eyes. Some of us have said it since the Gamecube, sure it didn't bother me back then but it does now. Nintendo have missed the boat and there are gamers that won't come back to them. God help Nintendo if they ever introduce fees for online some day. Who in their right mind would pay for it when you look at what the competition do in comparison? Yes they make brilliant games but they are lacking in a few vital areas, e.g. marketing, online, 3rd party relations, developing a relevant console, broken promises.