NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

In what way?

Well the Gamecube didn't really need a third game and probably wouldn't have brought anything new really.

Would have been nice to have one on the Wii but it wouldn't look as nice as it does in HD on the Wii U, plus we wouldn't have gotten the DLC. I liked the Gamepad usage as well which added an extra layer to planning with the "Go here" function. Basically the technology improvements enabled a better game.

Mostly I agree what was already mentioned in that the game still felt fresh, it hasn't become an annual or even biannual title that everyone gets sick of after a while. I think you can generate more hype by releasing a title that hasn't had a new game in 10 years more than one that was out a year or two ago and one a couple of years before that.

I disagree with this, but I suspect I may be the only one...

I agree with it to a certain extent. I don't like this idea of milking a franchise until you get a trilogy in the same console/generation (that is, a very short timespan). Unless the games are noticeably different from each other, at least one of the entries will end up looking like it ran out of ideas.

It should be: Initial game --> Refined/improved sequel --> Next game should offer a new perspective on the previous formula (or else be made a few years down the line)

Well the Gamecube didn't really need a third game and probably wouldn't have brought anything new really.

Would have been nice to have one on the Wii but it wouldn't look as nice as it does in HD on the Wii U, plus we wouldn't have gotten the DLC. I liked the Gamepad usage as well which added an extra layer to planning with the "Go here" function. Basically the technology improvements enabled a better game.

Mostly I agree what was already mentioned in that the game still felt fresh, it hasn't become an annual or even biannual title that everyone gets sick of after a while. I think you can generate more hype by releasing a title that hasn't had a new game in 10 years more than one that was out a year or two ago and one a couple of years before that.

Good points but I feel that the reverse should of happened with Pikmin. Being a quirky, new, 'uncool' or 'kiddy-looking' game, having the Pikmin 3 on Wii in like 2007/2008 would have only boosted the popularity of the series. (alongside the new way to play titles).

The main gimmick for the Wii version could have simply been online play, and thus an addictive online Nintendo game is born - setting up Pikmin 4 HD in 2013. I feel that because of the big gap, the Wii U advertising of Pikmin 3 felt like a re-introduction of what Pikmin are, and what they can do... Where really, it should have been established enough by now for people to know straight away with there only being a need to advertise the improvements etc.

Titles like Zelda can benefit greatly from that one game per generation approach.

I just simply think there is much more opportunity with whats pretty much the only RTS game we get for a Nintendo console.

Edited by King_V

I just simply think there is much more opportunity with whats pretty much the only RTS game we get for a Nintendo console.

Little King's Story. Go play that if you like Pikmin. You won't regret it.

(Also, RTS isn't a common console genre anywhere. What other games in this genre are there for other consoles?)

Little King's Story. Go play that if you like Pikmin. You won't regret it.

(Also, RTS isn't a common console genre anywhere. What other games in this genre are there for other consoles?)

I have. .. kinda got repetitive after a few seasons though.

Im sure there were a couple of Total War/Shogun games on ps3/360... Command and Conquer 3 and Its expansion were on it - and the psx/N64 era had many.. N64 getting Command and Conquer 64.

So quite popular.

I do agree with @King_V in principle, actually. If something's worth doing, it's worth doing every generation. I think the only reason there's a 'but' with Pikmin is because the Wii itself was so little a technical leap from the GameCube, so it couldn't offer an obvious improvement for so many series - F-Zero, WaveRace, Pikmin... (although as you say, online would have been significant for those who like it).

Now Zelda is something I want to see as much of as possible, personally, so it all comes down to preference I suppose. Generally, I think it's best to lay a foundation for each series per generation (Ocarina of Time, Mario Galaxy, Phantom Hourglass) and then utilise that for a relatively quick sequel when there's the demand for it (Majora's Mask, Mario Galaxy 2, Spirit Tracks).

...the Wii itself was so little a technical leap from the GameCube, so it couldn't offer an obvious improvement for so many series - F-Zero, WaveRace, Pikmin... (although as you say, online would have been significant for those who like it)...

Just in regards to Pikmin... the Wiimote controls alone make Pikmin so much better, it would've been the perfect franchise to release on Wii.

Having a lazy Sunday with masses of fun with Mario World 3D and Pikmin 3... Perfect day for them, with the flat illuminated by sun rays. :)

Just in regards to Pikmin... the Wiimote controls alone make Pikmin so much better, it would've been the perfect franchise to release on Wii.

Agreed. And Nintendo knew this thus the re-releases.

Im sure there were a couple of Total War/Shogun games on ps3/360... Command and Conquer 3 and Its expansion were on it - and the psx/N64 era had many.. N64 getting Command and Conquer 64.

I remember the PSX getting a few PC ports, without much success. Didn't know about C&C 64 existing.

As for the PS360 games, those sound more like ports. Or were those exclusive versions?

I remember the PSX getting a few PC ports, without much success. Didn't know about C&C 64 existing.

As for the PS360 games, those sound more like ports. Or were those exclusive versions?

Ports but created to be used by a control pad. Im almost confident there were RTS games born and reared on consoles, in any case Im a console RTS junkie without a thousand pound PC that restricts me from the maximum settings.

Still feel there are people like me to provide the market.

Wii remote controls make Pikmin infinitely more playable! I know it will never happen, but I would love to see C&C on the Wii U. I have it on the N64!

Wii remote controls make Pikmin infinitely more playable! I know it will never happen, but I would love to see C&C on the Wii U. I have it on the N64!

:heart:

Imagine!!! Seeing the map on the gamepad etc etc....would be freaking amazing... Id be happy with ports of Tiberium Wars and Kanes Wrath.

I'm actually glad that a new Pikmin wasn't released on the Wii. The delay to Wii U meant that they had to include GamePad support, while a Wii version likely wouldn't have had Classic Controller support.

As for a console RTS. Nintendo have what could potentially be the perfect combination: Battalion Wars and the GamePad.

The GamePad displays the map screen, which looks and works like a standard RTS - in fact, if your tactics are good enough, it should be possible to beat using just that. The GamePad buttons and the TV allow for the control of individual units.

I'd love it too, but EA are intent on killing the brand...oh and EA/Nintendo problems

Man i love C+C, why did Westwood have to die?

Here's a nice talking point article from NL about how Nintendo should be releasing demos via the e-Shop on the Wii U.

HERE

This is something that has baffled me for a while now. Why not release demos for you games? Surely it will help in getting the game noticed and get gamers hyped. NL make a very valid comment about there being demos out and about already, so why not just slam them on the e-Shop as well?

Here's a nice talking point article from NL about how Nintendo should be releasing demos via the e-Shop on the Wii U.

HERE

This is something that has baffled me for a while now. Why not release demos for you games? Surely it will help in getting the game noticed and get gamers hyped. NL make a very valid comment about there being demos out and about already, so why not just slam them on the e-Shop as well?

I think I have maybe been on the e-shop once on the Wii U, just as a test when I got it, so I don't remember...

They don't do demos? Christ, that is bad.

I think I have maybe been on the e-shop once on the Wii U, just as a test when I got it, so I don't remember...

They don't do demos? Christ, that is bad.

There are demos on there but no Nintendo ones. The article is about the pulling power demos could have on the Wii U's situation. I know a few people who would pick up a Wii U if there was a Mario Kart demo or Smash demo on the e-Shop months before the release.

There are demos on there but no Nintendo ones. The article is about the pulling power demos could have on the Wii U's situation. I know a few people who would pick up a Wii U if there was a Mario Kart demo or Smash demo on the e-Shop months before the release.

I really don't understand why they don't put out demos for those games. Really, it's not as though it's going to be hard work either. They've already got demos for Mario Kart 8 sitting around that they've made for trade shows and they'll no doubt have demos for Smash Bros at E3 and going forward until its potential release in the Autumn (I think that's a good guess on when it'll launch. August/September time. No way will it come before then).

It is sadly another example of Nintendo not keeping with the times. As I've said, they do make demos of their titles for trade shows so why not put them up on the e-shop. It's not taking development time away from the game (seeing as they've already made them) and demos can and do sell people on games. There'll be a small proportion who might be put off but the benefits definitely outweigh the costs, so to speak.

As an example, one of the reasons the first Bioshock game was so popular was because of the demo put out for it which was superb. And I'll admit that that demo alone sold me on the game. And there have been a few other instances of this for me and no doubt others.

I really don't think there's much excuse for Nintendo not to put the demos out for their games because of the above. Unless they are completely jaded and think everyone owning a Wii U is going to buy every single one of their games without question, they should get them out there and drum up a bit more excitement.

-------------------------------------

Also, I remember some Shibata talk a few pages back. For all the good he is doing at NoE in localising games, he's/NoE is really dropping the ball with regards to getting games on to the Wii U e-shop. NoA have apparently nailed this, from what a lot of indie developers have said, but apparently NoE need to put in some real work on that front. So yeah, Shibata has been good for Nintendo gaming in Europe but there are still things he could improve on for the region. Just thought I'd quickly point that out.

Demo's are really important, I've wondered for years why they don't send demos out a few days after events such as E3. I guess before it made sense, with the Wii's limited space it could hardly handle WiiWare demos, but they have no excuse now.

I've bought many games that I wouldn't have even known of if it weren't for demos - the most important for me being a demo disc for PS2 back in 2002/3. Introduced me to a game called Klonoa2, I wouldn't have bothered with it but the demo truly blew me away and to this day it's one of my favourite platformers.

Nintendo need to do more of this, and more of the push downloads too. They only pushed YouTube and Wii Fit U to my console. Notifications also need to be sorted out. They should be like Miiverse or the friends list and easy to open and close mid-game, the fact that they're a completely separate app and take ages to load makes them pointless - The Wii Message board was better!

Wasn't the reasoning behind Nintendo's anti-demoing was because they didn't like releasing demos of Nintendo games that were below par quality of the finished product?

Even still, I dont think demos should be a priority when low numbers of the console are in peoples homes.

It feels like they're saying their games are so good that they don't need demos, somewhat like how they hardly reduce the cost of some of their big titles too. They need to step up to the plate.

Wasn't the reasoning behind Nintendo's anti-demoing was because they didn't like releasing demos of Nintendo games that were below par quality of the finished product?

That's really bad if so. It sounds like they don't have enough confidence in their own teams to produce bug-free/representative demos.

To be fair, it's been a while for me too. I usually know what I want or I get it included in Plus. But it seems like something pretty basic that should be there.