NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Nice to see the store selling merch. Long overdue to see an official source for buying this kind of stuff :)

I love how Boo gets his own section on there too :laughing:

Also...

745x200-n-wk18-nr-shopbycharacter-metroid-063348.jpg

THIS ISN'T HELPING NINTENDO!!!

Edited by Dcubed

Hopefully it goes well enough for them to ditch The Hut Group and sell this stuff on their own.

Hopefully it goes well enough for them to ditch The Hut Group and sell this stuff on their own.

What's your issue with The Hut? I've had only good experiences from them so far

My problem is having to wait around five days then having to cancel my order because they hadn't even dispatched it. No reason was ever given to me, which was the main problem.

They are notoriously terrible.

Like, really really bad. Often they list stuff which they don't have in stock meaning it takes a week or two for the item to even get dispatched.

Couldn't care less. I'm not a shareholder.

I know Mario Kart 8, Smash and hopefully Zelda will be amazing on Wii U, I know they will deliver and I won't regret Wii U.

Wii U and PSVita are in the same bed for me, they could sell crap but they still are amazing. Kinda like Dreamcast also.

Also @ my fellow Nintendo fans the constant comparisons with Sony are a bit dumb, sorry. Sony is one of the biggest conglomerates around consisting of 150 000 employees and with $150B value in assets. They can easily take some financial hits, but they might have to downsize non-profitable divisions. Nintendo is just a gaming company consisting of just 5000 employees. If Nintendo's core business is doing bad then the whole company is doing bad. Since has no core business since they're a conglomerate. If you're going to draw comparison, you should compare gaming division with gaming division.

But anyway who cares. Nintendo and Sony Computer Entertainment are awesome so you better appreciate them for the fact that they make amazing GAMES, the things that matter for you as a consumer instead of throwing all this nonsensical fanboy fodder with numbers of sales and "who has the most money!!". No consumer gives a shit about the latters.

Legendary post from an IGN member. Say no more.

You don't have to be a shareholder to feel the effects of third party abandonment. Poor sales equates poor support, means less variety and games and less satisfied customers.

It's one thing to be positive, but the latest figures are the most worrying yet. Even Nintendo doesn't expect it to sell. With projections like that, do we really think they're going to show anything good at E3?

Their only chance is to completely ditch the GamePad (and make sure no game from now on needs it) and get the price down to £150 or so. That way you could still have a decent HD machine that plays Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Zelda (assuming it doesn't do a "Twilight Princess" - which I now think it will). Early adopters wouldn't miss out, as the actual Wii Us (the ones with the GamePad) would be the only ones capable of playing Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World etc (I think?) and the games of the revised, renamed system. New owners wouldn't be able to play the early Wii U games, but... it doesn't look like they're that bothered.

I think a decision like that would only make the brand confusion even bigger?

They invested so much in the gamepad, they must have had at least some vision for it.

I think it's best to just do as they planned and deliver the games.

This is tragic. They absolutely nerfed the original Wii when they brought out the latest model without either wifi or ethernet, nor, unless I'm hugely mistaken, Gamecube support, so I don't see why they're so trepidatious about releasing a Wii U console without the stupid gamepad. I don't understand why, for the people that want it, they can't just bring out a cheaper version of this dinosaur of a console without the absolutely superfluous screen. It might mean patching some games that require it (ZombieU comes to mind for all the inventory stuff) to be able to work without it, but really, anyone that might have wanted the fucking thing is put off by the prohibitive price for lacklustre hardware and the occasional lukewarm ladling of your generic franchise sequel. Which would be fine, if it was a £129 console like the Gamecube was on fucking launch day, I'd already have one and have probably re-bought all my favourite VC games just because of the upscaling.

Nintendo are just the weirdest company. The worst business practises of all time, mixed with the most schizophrenic tendencies towards their games. We've seen less and less of the Nintendo that genuinely innovates, and more of the risk averse, sequel shovelling outcast that really doesn't know or remember what place it occupies in the videogaming ecosystem.

It's tragic when the BBC are reporting on how bad the sales are for the Wii U.

Even less people would be inclined to buy the system knowing that it is selling not well.

It's tragic when the BBC are reporting on how bad the sales are for the Wii U.

Even less people would be inclined to buy the system knowing that it is selling not well.

It was difficult reading that article. It won't really affect sales or dissuade people from buying the system though because there aren't a great deal of people interested in it in the first place. Somehow, Nintendo have managed to create a stealth console that the public don't know about.

The amount of children who I work with on a day-to-day basis who simply don't know what the Wii U is or even know its name is staggering. It's sad walking into a supermarket and seeing a huge row of PS3/4 360/One games and maybe, if you're lucky, a tiny Wii U shelf right at the bottom of the Wii stuff.

The more you say it to yourself, the more ridiculous it sounds. This is Nintendo. They're meant to be the ones ruling this market and instead they can't even get their games on supermarket shelves.

Yeah Nintendo's situation with the Wii U was in Radio1's news today. Was quite shocked to hear it get a mention. Guess it shows how much has changed with that company, that to me they don't really seem relevant to what that audience is really interested in anymore. 'Nintenwho?... they still make consoles?'

Edited by Retro_Link

You have to wonder how the Wii U ever got the green light? I could just imagine Nintendo making a pitch to Dragons Den and being shot down in flames. They wouldn't get backing from anybody.

It was/is bad on every level. A system released without a proper OS ready. Way overpriced. But still selling at a loss. Still overpriced. Game droughts. Struggling with HD development. No online Nintendo games. Shoddy compared to the competition. Weak wifi. Only 1 person gets to use the new controller. Can't easily buy replacement gamepad. Which costs a fortune. Terrible battery life. No proper unifed account system. Very poor VC release plans, limited systems available. No truly innovative games. Technology that is 7 years too late. Nintendo TVii. Poor 3rd party relations. Didn't consult them on what technology they might like. No 3rd party games. Poor advertising budget and campaign. Naming it Wii U. The list goes on forever.

It is a complete disaster. Sony or Microsoft couldn't have sabotaged it any worse if they tried.

Edited by Wii

It's one thing to be positive, but the latest figures are the most worrying yet. Even Nintendo doesn't expect it to sell. With projections like that, do we really think they're going to show anything good at E3?

Any game showing for release within the next 6 months is going to be up to and beyond 2 years in development already which means work was done before the full extent of Nintendo's problem shifting Wii U was a known thing - so back when people though certain games would drag the sales out of gutter and the everything would be fine. It's projects started in the last year, that would potentially be shown next E3, that you might have to worry about whether they were getting the effort/funding the titles deserve.

The worst thing nintendo could do is to phase out the Wii u, they need to go all out in my opinion, if it doesn't create huge sales. If they really splutter through a whole generation then consumer confidence will be even lower, they need to build it up. Sort of what Sony did last gen, and now they've got the huge sales this gen because of it. I still think what Nintendo did at the end of the Wiis life is a huge factor in how poor the Wii u has done, you can't just disappear like that. They need to release as many games, big games, experiment a ms much as possible, while slowly nailing their services. So when the new console comes out, gamers will listen. But just limp on for anger few years and it'll just get harder and harder...

I personally think Nint do are going to do this and really keep with the 1 game a month, keep pushing indies, establishing 3rd party exclusives etc.

The only huge concern is nintendos forecast... Are they just being conservative so they can have a positive press release next year? Do they think whatever they release people still won't buy it? Or do they not have much to release?

The worst thing nintendo could do is to phase out the Wii u, they need to go all out in my opinion, if it doesn't create huge sales. If they really splutter through a whole generation then consumer confidence will be even lower, they need to build it up. Sort of what Sony did last gen, and now they've got the huge sales this gen because of it. I still think what Nintendo did at the end of the Wiis life is a huge factor in how poor the Wii u has done, you can't just disappear like that. They need to release as many games, big games, experiment a ms much as possible, while slowly nailing their services. So when the new console comes out, gamers will listen. But just limp on for anger few years and it'll just get harder and harder...

I personally think Nint do are going to do this and really keep with the 1 game a month, keep pushing indies, establishing 3rd party exclusives etc.

The only huge concern is nintendos forecast... Are they just being conservative so they can have a positive press release next year? Do they think whatever they release people still won't buy it? Or do they not have much to release?

I think they have to be realistic. After the huge over estimate they originally made for the Wii U, it is prudent for them to be more conservative.

9mill to 3 mill is a big misjudgement.

This estimate is 1 million higher, deeper into the consoles life, so it's pushing for improvement, while not being over optimistic. If this proves to be too low they can state they had confidence this year and look what happened.

If they predict 9 million.. and they get 3/4 million again, they'll look like they haven't learnt lessons from the last year. So I'm sure their real estimate is a bit better than the official one...they're just being prudent/cautious with what they're putting out

Fairly damning article from TIME and you can't argue with it. Articles like this just sinks the Wii U further to its watery grave in the minds of Joe Public.

http://time.com/90801/nintendo-wii-u/

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Details emerging from Nintendo's Japanese investor briefing:

- Iwata saying 3DS hit 43 million

- Helping is next Pokemon, Tomodachi Life in June internationally

- 3DS third-party titles to come include Monster Hunter 4G and Youkai Watch 2 in Japan

- Wii U: want to regain momentum with 2 signature titles in Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros.

- System update in June will speed up start up by 20 seconds

- First smart device app will be available by end of fiscal year

- This is called Mario Kart TV and will enable sharing of game movie and rankings

- In June, Japanese users will be able to use SUICA transport cards for payments on Wii U through NFC

- On IP licensing: nothing to announce today, but Nintendo is looking at a joint agreement

- Limited profit, so Nintendo is looking at non-games usage for licensing

- Will launch figurine business called NFP – NFC featured platform

- Nintendo showed Mario figure across many games being used including saves

- NFP game and figures will be shown at E3

- 3DS will also get IR NFP reader so figures can be used across Wii U and 3DS

- Wii U target of 3.6 million units will need more manufactured than in current inventory

- Nintendo not experiencing a loss from hardware anymore

- More Wii U games at E3

- NFP has been in development since last year

- Nintendo would rather make not just make a figurine, but something that does more

- Nintendo hopes to show related games in development at E3 for the NFC tech

- Iwata saying that for this fiscal year (through 3/15), the goal is to increase profits

- 3/16 fiscal year: not grow dramatically

- 3/17 fiscal year: develop pillar for growth with growth

- Iwata: we are preparing for next generation hardware as always, when will it release? Difficult to declare

- Iwata: not hopeless or at a loss in coming up with something new, but until existing users are satisfied, we cannot release next hardware

- Iwata: for Quality of Life, don’t think too narrowly of Nintendo, we can make fun, healthy services… we know how to get people hooked

- Iwata: developers will move into new building in Kyoto around E3; currently teams are separate so will share more

- Iwata: have established Business Development department with outputs like NFP, entering into new markets, use smart phone platforms etc

- Not pessimistic on games, but want other pillars as safety net for games business, more of entertainment company

There'll be more information coming in the next hour so keep checking here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/gibbogame

I'll update the points later.

Edited by Wii

Last couple of points:

- Iwata: for emerging markets, $30-60 game prices are difficult. Need something new, but won’t be this fiscal year, studying China changes

- Iwata: the Wii U forecast of 3.6 million don’t think it is peak, wanted to be more conservative this year

http://nintendoeverything.com/details-from-nintendos-investor-briefing-5714/

Well shit, I've been posting this stuff in the sales thread haha

I thought it belongs here as it covers more than just sales.

[Trailer] Wii U Quick Boot Menu - More Footage

Edited by Wii

Fairly damning article from TIME and you can't argue with it. Articles like this just sinks the Wii U further to its watery grave in the minds of Joe Public.

http://time.com/90801/nintendo-wii-u/

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Details emerging from Nintendo's Japanese investor briefing:

- Iwata saying 3DS hit 43 million

- Helping is next Pokemon, Tomodachi Life in June internationally

- 3DS third-party titles to come include Monster Hunter 4G and Youkai Watch 2 in Japan

- Wii U: want to regain momentum with 2 signature titles in Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros.

- System update in June will speed up start up by 20 seconds

- First smart device app will be available by end of fiscal year

- This is called Mario Kart TV and will enable sharing of game movie and rankings

- In June, Japanese users will be able to use SUICA transport cards for payments on Wii U through NFC

- On IP licensing: nothing to announce today, but Nintendo is looking at a joint agreement

- Limited profit, so Nintendo is looking at non-games usage for licensing

- Will launch figurine business called NFP – NFC featured platform

- Nintendo showed Mario figure across many games being used including saves

- NFP game and figures will be shown at E3

- 3DS will also get IR NFP reader so figures can be used across Wii U and 3DS

- Wii U target of 3.6 million units will need more manufactured than in current inventory

- Nintendo not experiencing a loss from hardware anymore

- More Wii U games at E3

- NFP has been in development since last year

- Nintendo would rather make not just make a figurine, but something that does more

- Nintendo hopes to show related games in development at E3 for the NFC tech

- Iwata saying that for this fiscal year (through 3/15), the goal is to increase profits

- 3/16 fiscal year: not grow dramatically

- 3/17 fiscal year: develop pillar for growth with growth

- Iwata: we are preparing for next generation hardware as always, when will it release? Difficult to declare

- Iwata: not hopeless or at a loss in coming up with something new, but until existing users are satisfied, we cannot release next hardware

- Iwata: for Quality of Life, don’t think too narrowly of Nintendo, we can make fun, healthy services… we know how to get people hooked

- Iwata: developers will move into new building in Kyoto around E3; currently teams are separate so will share more

- Iwata: have established Business Development department with outputs like NFP, entering into new markets, use smart phone platforms etc

- Not pessimistic on games, but want other pillars as safety net for games business, more of entertainment company

There'll be more information coming in the next hour so keep checking here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/gibbogame

I'll update the points later.

He confirms what I've been saying as QoL. Building other avenues as a safety net, which MS and Sony both use for their divisions.

Also, that TIME article is bull and exaggerated hyperbole :p

The big news is that they are now profiting on the Wii U!

Edited by Serebii

He confirms what I've been saying as QoL. Building other avenues as a safety net, which MS and Sony both use for their divisions.

Also, that TIME article is bull and exaggerated hyperbole :p

The big news is that they are now profiting on the Wii U!

Well, we'll have to wait for the actual officially transcribed English version of the QA before we know for sure, but if that's the case then that's a pretty big deal! Should mean that there's no significant avenue for making a loss over the next year (unless the figurines are a huge flop of course...)

Also it's nice to hear that they're not actually sitting on a massive pile of Wii U inventory. Hopefully it'll finally quash those rumblings of Nintendo sitting on a massive pile of unsellable stock that'll end up causing a massive writedown...