NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2013/2014

How many for Ramsey tomorrow?

Hat-trick?

For the first time in ages, I'm not looking forward to this game. We'll be lucky to get a draw.

My head says that Arsenal will win 3-1. My heart says that United will put in a big shift (the type that we haven't put in against City, Chelsea or Liverpool) and win 2-0. My body is most certainly not ready.

The only thing that could go in our favour is that Arsenal might be tired from exerting themselves against Dortmund in midweek, whereas we had a chance to rest one or two players. But, Arsenal won that game, and when you're winning and playing well you don't feel tiredness or strain.

I'm confident.

Haven't been this confident in playing Man Utd in a while, especially at Old Trafford.

If we put in a great performance I'm sure that Arsenal will get a good result.

My head says that Arsenal will win 3-1. My heart says that United will put in a big shift (the type that we haven't put in against City, Chelsea or Liverpool) and win 2-0.

You crazy Flink! The only time we've scored more than 1 at Old Trafford in the Premier League we conceeded 8!

It's been a while since we've been in such good form and spirit going into a match at Old Trafford. For once I feel we can pull off a result. However it would be naive and stupid to think this will be anything but another huge test. United may not have had a good start but anything but 3 points for them leaves a big gap early on.

I just hope on my 4th trip to Old Trafford I see us come away with something, a point would do.

You crazy Flink! The only time we've scored more than 1 at Old Trafford in the Premier League we conceeded 8!

It's been a while since we've been in such good form and spirit going into a match at Old Trafford. For once I feel we can pull off a result. However it would be naive and stupid to think this will be anything but another huge test. United may not have had a good start but anything but 3 points for them leaves a big gap early on.

I just hope on my 4th trip to Old Trafford I see us come away with something, a point would do.

Seriously, I'm usually confident and up for it every time we play Arsenal. This is the only time that I can remember a game coming up where I didn't feel confident. There's just too many things going against us. Fellaini has come in and hasn't done particularly well, Van Persie hasn't played great this season and our central defence (and central midfield) has been awful so far.

I just look at how we've played, especially in the big games, and I can't see us coping with Arsenal in midfield. City ran rings around us. We need the biggest performance of our season and I'm not sure if there's enough bite in us to do it. The only two players who have played with any balls for us have been Rooney and Januzaj (and at a push, Rafael and Jones). Too many of our players are coasting. We're stuck in first gear.

We'll probably go 4-2-3-1 with Rooney just behind Van Persie. De Gea in goal. Rafael will probably not be fit, so I imagine we'll go with Evra - Ferdinand - Vidic - Smalling. Midfield will most likely be Carrick Cleverley Valencia and...I imagine we'll play Giggs as it's a big game. Fellaini had a torrid time in our last massive game against City and got sent off in midweek so I doubt he'll start. Wouldn't surprise me if he did, though.

Essentially it's 4-4-2 with Rooney doing two jobs because he can, dropping deep but getting up to support Van Persie. If Ferdinand doesn't play, Jones will go centre-back.

For all the 'creative' players and the 'great' finisher that is Soldado, they aren't half garbage going forward are spurs

I hope AVB has corners down for training next week, never seen a game where one team has failed to beat the first man on so many.

Outstanding performance from Krul. He was freakishly good today, 14 saves made. Only saw the second half so I can't comment on Remy's goal but he has been great for us. Just as well considering he was our only signing of the season. Our next fixtures are at home against Norwich and West Brom, quite winnable indeed. A neat little run could be forming here, or we'll collapse against mediocre opposition once again - who knows! 1 point from matches against West Ham, Sunderland and Hull... 7 from matches against Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool. We're as unpredictable as the league!

I feel a bit for Spurs not getting anything out of that but they really need to be more clinical in front of goal. They were quite wasteful in the final 3rd, saw a number of stray passes here and there. I'd be tempted to brush it off as 'one of those days' but they've been terrible at scoring goals this season.

Maybe they should spend more money....

Edited by ipaul

Well done, Newcastle. Two big victories in a row.

Whatever I said goes out of the window today. We need our biggest performance of the season if we still want that title. CMAAAAAAAANNNN!

Sunderland 1-0 Man City.

The BPL is just insane. All the teams can beat each other at anytime.

If Arsenal win today it will be amazing.

EDIT:

Well played Man Utd, they clearly wanted it more and the first half was representative of that. We improved in the second half but nowhere what we're capable of. It's such a shame.

Never count Utd out.

Edited by -Dem0-

Some good defending by the Mancs there, made Arsenal look pretty toothless up front. For me their best player was probably Bacary Sagna, which says something considering all the talent they have in midfield. Rooney was excellent, his work rate beggars belief sometimes. Great weekend for Man U/Liverpool/Southampton.

As for Sunderland beating Man City - what is with City's away form? I don't exactly rejoice in the mackems getting a win but it is nice to not be the only team who they've beaten this season.

Edited by ipaul

We needed Mertesacker to combat Van Persie. Unchallenged headers from corners are unacceptable goals to concede. Ozil and Ramsey had a bit of a stinker today.

YESSSSSSS!

I have no nails left. By far our best defensive performance of the season. Rooney was immense today, he did everything but score. He's tied with Phil Jones for my match of the match, who played really, really well in two different positions. We need to play like this more often, especially with how we closed players down and didn't give them time on the ball.

I said earlier my head said Arsenal would win this 3-1, but my heart said United would win it 2-0. The heart rules the head today, just about.

Sagna's second half crossing was fantastic. I swore when that final cross in injury time came in, because I was sure somebody would have toe-poked it in.

So this news slipped from my radar but it looks like a lot will be signing up to BT Sport in 2 years time

Bt Sport has the exclusive UK rights to every Champions League & Europa league game starting from the 2015/16 season.

At least 1 match featuring each British team will be shown FTA per season though it hasn't been decided if BT Sport will let BBC/ITV broadcast it.

The final is free.

Disappointed to say the least. Whilst I do qualify for free BT Sport because of broadband something tells me there'll be a compulsory fee from that season.

Gutted about today's result, always hate losing to United, especially with RVP on their side. But it's not the end of the world, still at the top, let's pick it up again after the international break.

Not our best performance, but if you'd said before the season that Arsenal, Liverpool and Southampton would be the top three in November, you'd have been laughed at.

Only consolation was Spurs and Man City losing too. The league this season is going to be very open.

We were poor today, beaten by a corner. We weren't sharp, our passing and movement were far too slow. That said, Chesney didn't have anything to do and Dave and Thomo were solid, we played like Tottenham in the 2nd half, owned the possession, did fuck all with it.

Still, I'd have taken top of the league at this point in the season back in August.

So this news slipped from my radar but it looks like a lot will be signing up to BT Sport in 2 years time

Bt Sport has the exclusive UK rights to every Champions League & Europa league game starting from the 2015/16 season.

At least 1 match featuring each British team will be shown FTA per season though it hasn't been decided if BT Sport will let BBC/ITV broadcast it.

The final is free.

Disappointed to say the least. Whilst I do qualify for free BT Sport because of broadband something tells me there'll be a compulsory fee from that season.

I read about this yesterday. Absolute bollocks, it is. So, this means that the only few football matches on terrestrial will be FA Cup games? Maybe the odd League Cup game, too?

Simply put it was same old Arsenal at Old Trafford. Started the game far too scared, showed United too much respect and we got punished. Both sides created few chances in a rather tense dull affair.

We missed Per and Rosicky, damn flu!

More annoyed that I seem to getting grief off Liverpool fans who seem to have forgotten last weekend and the fact Man Utd are meant to be their rivals.

The final is free.

I read about this yesterday. Absolute bollocks, it is. So, this means that the only few football matches on terrestrial will be FA Cup games? Maybe the odd League Cup game, too?

Very disappointed in this. People say that competition between broadcasters is good but for the end user it isn't. We now need to have a subscription to Sky Sports and BT Sports if we want to carry on watching the same football we do right now.

Very disappointed in this. People say that competition between broadcasters is good but for the end user it isn't. We now need to have a subscription to Sky Sports and BT Sports if we want to carry on watching the same football we do right now.

I think the theory (read: wishful thinking) behind having football spread between rival broadcasters is that it would create a competing market and drive costs to the consumer down.

However, we all know Sky isn't going to drop it's prices because they've lost the Champions League. And we all know BT aren't going to make their sport package cheap because someones got to foot the bill for the acquisition.

It's the fans who fork out again.

This broadcasting stuff -- it's fairly clear that BT are trying to bite into the pub/sports bar business that sky has a monopoly on. If they can get chains to subscribe to them then it provides a source of revenue. Nobody is going to subscribe to BT JUST for champs football, are they? I think it's excellent, in the long run, to have other services challenge sky in the pubs.

I wouldn't worry about it @Ramar You won't be in the championship league next year :)

Remember that one year you lot were in it....

This broadcasting stuff -- it's fairly clear that BT are trying to bite into the pub/sports bar business that sky has a monopoly on. If they can get chains to subscribe to them then it provides a source of revenue. Nobody is going to subscribe to BT JUST for champs football, are they? I think it's excellent, in the long run, to have other services challenge sky in the pubs.

It's not just Champions League BT have now though, they already have a package of Premier League games. I'm not sure how the licensing works but coudl they have more by 2015?

From my own personal view point, I don't want too much football. Maybe one Champions League game, a game on Saturday and one on Sunday a week. I probably watch more Champions League than Premier League so this would encourage me to change over if I could still get the Sunday football.

I don't think I've watched a full game of football since July 2012.

I am whatever is one level below an armchair supporter.