NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2013/2014

Wasn't able to watch the Rep of Ireland match last night, the first of the O'Niell/Keane era, wasn't on RTE and I don't have Sky Sports so had to wait till after to watch highlights on RTE.

Gotta say looks like Martin and Roy are off to a great start.

Could instantly tell there was a different vibe about the players, and their performance overall was very different to how they would have played in the previous 4 years.

Didn't see any long balls (though granted it was highlights maybe they didn't show any, but the analysis team afterwards seemed to just there wasn't any or much long ball play at all).

Keeper would get the ball and defenders actually came looking for it instead of turning their backs and going forward looking for a long one.

Defenders then passing the ball and playing forward from teh back also.

Quick throw-ins, no waiting around for a designated throw-in-taker, see a chance to play the ball, get it throw it and play.

Some good passing play too with some players making creative runs looking for the ball.

Wes Hoolihan also getting his start and he put on a great performance that he was denied the chance under Trappatoni (Trap said Wes didn't have teh size/strength he was looking for...well as the comentry team said last night, you don't have to be big to play well with the ball) was great to see him get more than 5 mins on the field at end of the game.

Players also closing down teh opposition when they had the ball, actively looking to win back possession.

Was great to watch, shame I couldn't watch the full game.

Now some will prolly say "sure ye were only playing Latvia, could ye do that against bigger teams?"

Well that's true Latvia are a lower ranked team by comparison, but considering under Traps rein in the last 2-3 years we struggled to get wins against similar lower ranked teams and never showed any sign of creativity and passing play for extended periods let alone the full game I think it is definately a performance to happy with and excited about for the future going forward.

Poland on Tuesday which should prove a bigger challenge hope to see more of the same :)

IN other International news last night, just checked teh results of the first legs of teh European World Cup Playoffs.

Some interesting results.

Greece 3 - 1 Romania, well done to Greece, I actually thought this would be a tight game and that Romania would nick it, well done Greece, 2nd leg should be interesting.

Ukraine 2 - 0 France, Woot go on Ukraine (In no way am I biased...[/lies all lies, mwahahaha]), but in seriousness I actually did think again this would be closer, thought France would take a win to the 2nd leg, be interesting to see how they respond next week.

Iceland 0 - 0 Croatia, Well done Iceland. Actually thought Croatia would walk this one (Similar to how Ireland beat Estonia 4-0 in 1st leg of Euro Play Offs 2 years ago), not read a report on the game but just looking at the score either Iceland did well or got lucky...either way well done to them. Would like to see them qualify (would it be their first world cup?) but I think the return leg in Croatia, Croatia will prolly prove too strong.

Portugal 1 - 0 Sweden, glammour match of the Playoffs this one. Tough to call even with Portugal having a one goal advantage. Would love to see both these teams in the world cup, shame we can only have one :(

In teh Intercontinental Play-offs 1st legs, the other day

Mexico 5 - 1 New Zealand, shame would love to see New Zealand get through again but vs Mexico was always gonna be a hard ask this year. I still do think it is unfair the OCEANIC region don't get even one Automatic spot, I know people will say "but the quality of teh teams their are poor", true, but New Zealand are a better team than all others in that region and do provide better performances when they do get to a World Cup (they did well in South Africa if I remember right? Didn't get out of groups but still well for them) in comparison to Tahiti at the Confederations Cup but in all likely hood if they did have one spot New Zealand would 99% of teh time get it, on teh off chance they messed up at least another team would get a chance of a lifetime like Tahiti did :)

Jordan 0 - 5 Uraguay, ouch, while I fully expected Uraguay to win this I thought Jordan would put up a better fight and at least keep it alive to the 2nd leg.

EDIT

African Play-offs, 1st legs

Burkina Faso 3 - 2 Algeria, interesting score, don't know much bout Burkina Faso, thought Algeria would win this. 2nd leg

Ivory Coast 3 - 1 Senegal, Ivory Coast should have no issues here but I'd say Senegal will make them work hard in the 2nd leg which I think is later today

Ethiopia 1 - 2 Nigeria, Actually thought Nigeria would do better, 2nd leg is tonight in Nigeria, they'll likely finish the job with no issues

Tunisia 0 - 0 Cameroon, close match looks like. On paper Cameroon are prolly teh stronger and with home advatage in 2nd leg should take it but I got a feeling of an upset here.

Ghana 6 - 1 Egypt....well unfortunately for Egypt that should make the 2nd leg just a formality. Ghana were the Africa team that did surprisingly well last World Cup too weren't they? Wonder will they pull off another good run this time too.

Edited by Mokong

What a performance from Ronaldo. He practically did it all on his own.

Edited by -Dem0-

I really miss Ronaldo at United. Fucking phenomenal player. One of the greatest.

As for England tonight, I really wish we'd just take the whole team apart and start again. It's clearly not working, we aren't functioning and we haven't got our own style. Roy needs to drop everybody, and then start from the beginning. Starting with that defence. That seriously can't be anything close to the best that we've got in the country, if so...we're going to get turned over by the bigger teams, no doubt about it.

Basically, England need to be brave and restart the whole process, starting from the bottom at grassroots, just like Germany did. There were moments tonight where certain players looked good, but it's been a long time since I've watched England and thought of them as a "team".

Basically, England need to be brave and restart the whole process, starting from the bottom at grassroots, just like Germany did. There were moments tonight where certain players looked good, but it's been a long time since I've watched England and thought of them as a "team".

Absolutely. It will take some time but they will become serious contenders instead of being embarrassed on the biggest stage consistently.

At least they're starting to take the right steps. e.g St George's Park Football Centre.

I'm sickened that Penaldo will be at the World Cup. Can't stand the Pr!€k and means that other w@nk€r Mourninho's scaldy face will be there too. Nothing against Portugal just hate these prima donnas.

I'm sickened that Penaldo will be at the World Cup. Can't stand the Pr!€k and means that other w@nk€r Mourninho's scaldy face will be there too. Nothing against Portugal just hate these prima donnas.

Yeeees, let the hate flow through you.

Desperately bad trolling. Worse than dazzy.

It's not trolling. They're both cheats and reprehensible human beings. Contrary $h!th€&ds who moan and crib unless things are going their way. Take tonight when Sweden went 2-1 up what did Ronaldo do? Yes he scores the goals but God what a Twat. Can't hold a candle to Messi.

Like I said back in 2012: before the Euro, I never thought Cristiano Ronaldo was a good captain for our team, but all of that has changed, and now he's someone I can actually trust to make the team look good.

This last game against Sweden keeps that belief. Awesome, Quinas, please be like that in Brazil as well, I want to see the team that took Spain to their limit and walked out with their heads held high when they lost.

Also, what a match. Rarely do I see "Player vs. Player" matches pan out like that, but this was exactly that. Zlatan was also good, but we did better.

Take tonight when Sweden went 2-1 up what did Ronaldo do?

...Picked himself up and made sure our victory would stay a victory?

Or are you talking about that one dive?

Like I said back in 2012: before the Euro, I never thought Cristiano Ronaldo was a good captain for our team, but all of that has changed, and now he's someone I can actually trust to make the team look good.

This last game against Sweden keeps that belief. Awesome, Quinas, please be like that in Brazil as well, I want to see the team that took Spain to their limit and walked out with their heads held high when they lost.

Also, what a match. Rarely do I see "Player vs. Player" matches pan out like that, but this was exactly that. Zlatan was also good, but we did better.

...Picked himself up and made sure our victory would stay a victory?

Or are you talking about that one dive?

I was going to refer to you @Jonnas as I knew you were Portuguese and might be offended. I like Portugal but with Penaldo in the team, sorry I can't wish them well and if Mourninho ever manages your national team, same story.

it's been a long time since I've watched England and thought of them as a "team".

What are you more accustomed to thinking of them as? A salad bar? Do you look at the England players and say to yourself "Oh, that Townsend would be lovely covered in blue cheese and with bits of crunchy bacon"?

Is this something we need to talk to Ine about?

I was going to refer to you Jonnas as I knew you were Portuguese and might be offended. I like Portugal but with Penaldo in the team, sorry I can't wish them well and if Mourninho ever manages your national team, same story.

No problem, I've known of the general dislike that the English have for Cronaldo and his attitude since that match with Rooney (I still think Rooney deserved that, though)

First time I'm hearing about Mourinho dislike, though. What do you have against the self-proclaimed best coach in the world? It's not like the Special One is outlandishly arrogant or anything :heh:

P.S.: "Morninho" is a soft, motherly way of saying "Lukewarm" in Portuguese. Just sayin'...

I don't mind Ronaldo, glad to see Portugal qualify and look forward to seeing Ronaldo pull off some good performances, but sad to see Sweden out as wanted to see same from Zlatan, why did they get drawn against each other :(

Ronaldo does come across as a bit of a dick as a person but when he plays well you can't deny "he plays well" so hopefully him and the rest of Portugal are on top form come the summer. More of how they pushed Spain to the edge like at Euro2012 please :)

Elsewhere, I see France pulled off a mircle beat Ukraine 3-0 (3-2 on agg), Ukraine must be kicking themselves for throwing that away, didn't think they would let in 3 goals, their fans must be raging.

Unlucky to Iceland too, did well to draw their home leg but Croatia just too strong for them in the 2nd.

In teh African Play-offs looks like no upsets after all.

Algeria beat Burina Faso 1-0 (3-3 on agg, Algeria winning on away goals), unlucky to Burina Faso, was hoping they'd hold out, always like to see new countries make their World Cup debuts

Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Cameroon and Ghana the other 4 African qualifiers.... so the exact same qualified African teams from the previous World Cup (minus South Africa who qaulified last time as hosts of course)

ONly one WOrld Cup spot left to be decided in the Uraguay/Jordan play-off but with Uraguay 5-0 up after 1st leg that should be a formality later today.

So teams we'll be watching this summer are

Africa

Algeria

Ivory Coast

Nigeria

Cameroon

Ghana

Asia

Japan

Iran

South Korea

Australia

Europe

Belgium

Italy

Germany

Netherlands

Switzerland

Russia

Bosnia-Herzegovina

England

Spain

Croatia

Portugal

France

Greece

North/Central America & Carribean

USA

Costa Rica

Honduras

Mexica

South America

Brazil (hosts)

Argentina

Colombia

Chile

Ecuador

Uruguay

None from Oceania :(

(feel sorry for that region)

Some extra Stats (cuz I like stats :))

Teams qualified that did not qualify for last World Cup

Iran

Costa Rica

Ecuador

Belgium

Russia

Bosnia-Herzegovina

Croatia

Bosnia are the only new team also making their World Cup debut

Teams that qualified for previous World Cup not going to Brazil

North Korea

South Africa

New Zealand

Denmark

Serbia

Slovakia

Slovenia

The 2010 World Cup also had just one debutant in Slovakia (first time as independent nation not counting times qualified as part of Czechoslovakia)

Edited by Mokong

Jonnas don't consider Wii representative of the UK. Just ignore his trolling.

I believe most English highly rate Ronaldo and Mourinho at least for the abilities if not personalities.

Jonnas don't consider Wii representative of the UK. Just ignore his trolling.

I believe most English highly rate Ronaldo and Mourinho at least for the abilities if not personalities.

I thought Ronaldo's cocky attitude was still disliked in England, though? Wii's comment isn't the first one I've seen regarding this. Ability is one thing (and both men have plenty in their respective fields), but attitude is another.

Mourinho is one I always thought was well-liked in England, though, as his arrogance is not that obnoxious, but his good results are incredibly consistent.

(Either way, generalizations are wrong by default, true. Can't put every Englishman in the same bag)

Anyway, I will say that Ronaldo does not have the worst attitude in our national team: that "honour" goes to Pepe. It's like he can't go a match without picking a fight.

And on a more positive note, I hope we get to face Spain - they're practically our rivals at this point - or Argentina - Messi vs. Ronaldo is a hell of a headline, and the Brazillian crowds are going to boo the Argentines in every match they play.

Edited by Jonnas

They're both massive cunts.

Jonnas don't consider Wii representative of the UK.

Especially as Wii isn't from the UK ;)

Anyway back to football

As I'd definately be one to seperte between Ronaldo the person and Ronaldo the footballer. Yes he seems to be very much a bit of a dick of a person but as I said previously, when he plays well, damn can he put on a good show. So I look forward to watching Portugal at Brazil, especially if they pull off some good matches like they did at Euro 2012.

And back to the World Cup in general at the moment, just read this

A vanishing spray which has been used in South America for several years to stop defensive walls creeping forward at free-kicks will feature at next month's Club World Cup.

How was this not brought in ages ago?

Edited by Mokong

dU8s7St.jpg

Your group of death?

Brazil, USA, France, Netherlands

The group I hope England get?

Brazil, USA, France, England.

When is the draw for the groups?

Your suggested Group for England, is that a "I hope they don't get past the groups" choice or a "they should get past the groups choice"

Is there any regulation to prevent a group of 3 European teams?

I know it is unlikely with France being the only European team in Pot 3 and none in pot 4, but it is still a possiblity and I thought they in the past tried to make sure there was only 2 European teams in one group at the most.

EDIT

Actually where did you get that pot seeding?

I don't see mention of it on FIFA's site or any where?

The draw is on the 6th,and yes there can't be more than 2 European teams in a group.

When is the draw for the groups?

Your suggested Group for England, is that a "I hope they don't get past the groups" choice or a "they should get past the groups choice"

Is there any regulation to prevent a group of 3 European teams?

I know it is unlikely with France being the only European team in Pot 3 and none in pot 4, but it is still a possiblity and I thought they in the past tried to make sure there was only 2 European teams in one group at the most.

EDIT

Actually where did you get that pot seeding?

I don't see mention of it on FIFA's site or any where?

A group I hope they get and lose. :bouncy:

The list is as of now 'unofficial' in that it's not been officially announced by FIFA but according to the smart people over on Reddit this is the only possible permutation for it.

8 seeds in Pot 1. 8 European teams in pot 4 + lowest rank UEFA team in pot 3. Not sure how pot 2 and 3 work out but apparently they are right.

A group I hope they get and lose. :bouncy:

The list is as of now 'unofficial' in that it's not been officially announced by FIFA but according to the smart people over on Reddit this is the only possible permutation for it.

8 seeds in Pot 1. 8 European teams in pot 4 + lowest rank UEFA team in pot 3. Not sure how pot 2 and 3 work out but apparently they are right.

France are the lowest rank European team?

Ah right, will this be made official soon? I had a notion of doing a Mock Group Draw on my Youtube before the real one :D