NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

Nice little nod to F-Zero X on the Big Blue track:

:awesome:

Whenever you get a mushroom item on that track, it had better say

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Can't believe still no Ghost House tracks. Also, what about adding some of the retro items with dlc.

Not watching any vids, rather wait and see how the track plays myself

Mario Kart 8: 200cc vs. 150cc

That is something I meant to ask before. On previous videos it looks like you'll need to use the brakes on 200cc. Do people use the brakes on 150cc? I never use them, once in a 1,000 races at least probably and that's just to stop from falling off an edge usually or avoiding an item. Besides being more difficult to control, it will change up your gameplay. Also will this give the cheating fire hoppers an even greater advantage?

No, never touch the brakes at all on 150cc

From the sounds of the patch notes you can brake during drifting which is probably when it will be used. It will change how the game is played I think, but that is a good thing.

How do you think it will give the fire hoppers a bigger advantage?

Not watching any vids, rather wait and see how the track plays myself

When I'm racing I find I don't really take in the track, not really, the subtle touches, even now with the original tracks.. I think shy guy falls, at one point you can spot a shy guy teeing off... when I'm racing my eyes are too firmly on the track (usually!) to notice things like that.

I'm not really a great fan of watching others race, especially when their racing line is too far off my own or they make mistakes!

How do you think it will give the fire hoppers a bigger advantage?

Could be wrong but I think they'll get a bigger boost.

I'll never use brakes in 200cc

You'll see...YOU'LL ALL SEE

sounds like it would be fun to watch, you should join the league so we can all see first hand!

Could be wrong but I think they'll get a bigger boost.

Hopefully straight off the track

Edited by Pestneb
Automerged Doublepost

There are corners that will be physically impossible without using the brakes in 200cc mode.

There are corners that will be physically impossible without using the brakes in 200cc mode.

To me, there's no such word as impossible.

Hell, in Mario Kart Wii, I played and won so much with Automatic handling, despite everyone saying that gimps it.

I suppose rereading it. You did say that you'll never use the brakes, not that you'll be successful in doing so. :D

It's my F-Zero strategy. Don't use the brake but ease up on the accelerator and use momentum to your advantage

Edited by Serebii

It's my F-Zero strategy. Don't use the break but ease up on the accelerator and use momentum to your advantage

You do realise that appropriate use of the brake is far quicker?

Your method:

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4,6,8,10 average speed: 7.3

Braking Method:

10,10,10,10,10,7,4,6,8,10 average speed: 8.5

It may seem counter intuitive that actively braking speeds you up, but easing up on the accelerator amounts to lightly braking waaaaay too early. You are better off learning the right time to brake, brake hard then accelerate out as quick as possible. You may notice in sports such as F1 this is the approach taken by all the racers.

And I am obviously far too bored...

Is this whole having to use the brakes thing actually true? Or was it just some unskilled journalist having a go and saying it's impossible without?

There is a brake button in every F-Zero game, it's never needed for cornering though. Efficient use of drifting/sliding is always faster.

It may well depend on the kart and track combination. As no one here has played we can only speculate, I imagine at the very least that the margin for errors has been cut by a fair bit.

It may just be a case of altering your line and releasing the accelerator like seribii is planning on, but I do hope braking is genuinely required, because that would mean relearning all the tracks, which would do wonders for rejuvenating the game. Who knows, maybe they'll give us a 250cc kart in 2016...

i honestly don't know what button is brake, never used it in 8 versions of Mario Kart.I assume it's B but I'm screwed if you need to brake it will be like learning to play the game from scratch.

Yeah, I've clearly spent too much time watching those vids. :laughing: But the music is just sooooooo good!! :bouncy:

I'm liking the look of the P-Wing racer, as long as it can accelerate well unlike the rubbish B dasher thing.

I hope Mario Kart 9 has lots of 1 lap tracks, they're far more enjoyable IMO (though obviously 3 times more work needed to create). Still, giving tracks unique start and finish lines could make for some really creative locations, see the epic Mount Wario as one example.

it does alter how the game plays though.. for example dropping a banana skin strategically when you are near the back of the pack COULD get someone in front of you, but without laps that possibility weakens the banana a lot.. you need to have precision throwing skills to make the most of it!

but I agree, they are fun - correct me if I am wrong, but are mount wario and N64 rainbow road the only two like that in Mario Kart 8?

Edited by Pestneb

it does alter how the game plays though.. for example dropping a banana skin strategically when you are near the back of the pack COULD get someone in front of you, but without laps that possibility weakens the banana a lot.. you need to have precision throwing skills to make the most of it!

but I agree, they are fun - correct me if I am wrong, but are mount wario and N64 rainbow road the only two like that in Mario Kart 8?

Yeah that's a fair point I hadn't considered that. Maybe just do a few more single lap tracks then, say the final race in each cup maybe, with a big epic finish line like in Mount Wario.

I got dem skills: :heh:

Interesting speculation, but 200cc is nowhere near the same speed as F-Zero's insane velocity.