NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

Is it me or are the new cups actually the hardest to control at 200cc!? It's absolutely brutal. Great tracks though!

Can't get the hang of breaking at all. It's so not Mario Kart!

OH MY GOD CHEESE LAND!!! YES!!!!!!! :yay:

I was really worried that they'd ruin it by getting rid of the really broken shortcuts in the original GBA course... but while they've obviously removed that one really major one, they've added tons and tons of shortcuts and ways to break the course!

It's different, but it totally captures the spirit of the original!! It's so ridiculously open and abusable! Even the CPU players try to break it!!

It's definitely my favourite course from this DLC pack! In short, it's...

Had a quick blast this morning before I left...

200cc seems insane, I got off the line, felt fairly normal, then...boom!! Started rocketing round, will be a completely new challenge!

Wild Woods and Ribbon road look incredible, Ribbon Road especially. Wild Woods plays like a dream too!

Overall, smashing DLC, really impressed :)

Downloaded the update, but can't download the dlc pack 2, no option anywhere?

edit: after turning mk8 on & off 4 times I decided to turn off the Wii U, this then allowed the DLC to download. Weird you can't manually choose to start it???

Edited by londragon

Downloading now (the add-on content at least). I can't see if it is the update too. I can't wait to try the 200cc mode. It seems like MK was waiting for this.

I... I came second in Grand Prix.

That hasn't happened to me once in MK8.

The computers are such dirty little cheaters in this, it's not even funny!

Need to have got gold in every 150cc race

That's what Nintendo say... I have no * in the DLC cups, and only two in star and leaf cup.. just one in Special cup. I have played the new cups in 200cc.

That's what Nintendo say... I have no * in the DLC cups, and only two in star and leaf cup.. just one in Special cup. I have played the new cups in 200cc.

You don't need to worry about stars, you just have to get a gold trophy for all the GP's in 150cc.

Played 200cc on Mushroom cup and did great.

Then tried the new Crossing Cup.

This is gonna take some learning.

Mario Kart 8: All Animal Crossing Seasons Head-to-Head Comparison (60fps)

Just played the Crossing Cup a few times. This game is just incredible. The animation is so fluid and the visuals are just spectacular, proving you don't need the latest gen tech to put out stunning games. The woods track... :o:o

The amount of detail they put into every little corner of these tracks is just mind-blowing, only Nintendo could do that.

not sure if it is 200cc exclusive, but in the league last night I heard someone say they just ended up flying off into the distance after hitting a turbo. I had a similar experience, I hit a turbo and then lost all control.. my kart just got carried forwards and upwards, as though it was on train tracks...I've played a lot of races though and only experienced this glitch once, so hopefully it is VERY rare.. but it is quite frustrating, being punished seemingly just for hitting a turbo and having to watch as your kart slowly but steadily heads off into the distance before lakitu decides to intervene. I dropped 7 places thanks to that glitch (although it's just as likely I would have lost those places regardless!)

Edited by Pestneb

I dropped 7 places thanks to that glitch

Dat Nintendo polish. :p

Will probably give the new DLC a go tonight at my mate's. Pretty sure it will end in laughter and rage even though I don't really like Mario Kart 8 :laughing:

not sure if it is 200cc exclusive, but in the league last night I heard someone say they just ended up flying off into the distance after hitting a turbo. I had a similar experience, I hit a turbo and then lost all control.. my kart just got carried forwards and upwards, as though it was on train tracks...I've played a lot of races though and only experienced this glitch once, so hopefully it is VERY rare.. but it is quite frustrating, being punished seemingly just for hitting a turbo and having to watch as your kart slowly but steadily heads off into the distance before lakitu decides to intervene. I dropped 7 places thanks to that glitch (although it's just as likely I would have lost those places regardless!)

That was me I think. It was on Excitebike Arena. I was performing the timed boost jumps over the hills and at the last one before the last corner the kart shot forward completely missing the turn and barely staying inside the course. Lost all control and came nearly last. It's there on MKTV for whoever was in group 2 last night. I'll see about making a video of it but the edit functions aren't great.

After spending two hours with the DLC last night, I've got to say that this pack is absolutely awesome!

Firstly, the attention to detail on the tracks is incredible! A couple stood out to me as just being some of the most graphically impressive things I've ever seen. Every course just bursts with colour, detail and the kind of attention that only a Nintendo game has.

From the Yarn Yoshi's that sit beside the track on Ribbon Road, to the way the rain pounds the track on Neo Bowser City to the beautiful scenic changes on Animal Crossing depending on the season. And that doesn't even touch on tracks like Wild Woods and Big Blue which are jaw dropping at times.

It's like the time between Mario Kart 8's release and now the developers have just learned so much and pushing the system even further!

The tracks are also some of the best I've ever played. The short cuts, the tight corners and the way the scenery interacts with the race make these some of the best courses in the history of the franchise. Each course also brings something new - from the one long race of Big Blue, to the super fast tight turns of Neo Bowser City to the short cuts of Cheese Land to the different paths and subway collisions of Super Bell Subway - each track offers something different.

The new racers are also fantastic. I'm so happy to see Dry Bowser return, as I raced as him during Mario Kart Wii.

If I have one complaint, it's that Baby Park made the cut. I can't stand that track as it's just a waste of the race. It's too simple and I always feel a little short changed when comparing it to courses like Big Blue or Neo Bowser City. However, that's simply a preference, not a criticism based on anything technical.

With the inclusion of 200cc which totally changes the way the game plays, this DLC pack shows the world how Nintendo do DLC - and that many others should take a leaf out of Nintendo's book. The season pass is great value for money and even those who don't pay for it still get the 200cc for free!

I couldn't be happier with the purchase, and I believe it adds massive value to Mario Kart 8. This is must have DLC!

I like how the little houses in Wild Woods (such a gorgeous track) are in the shape of Shy Guys. I wish that track had been a one lap race like Mount Wario. It would have been breathtaking. Start at the bottom of the tree and make your way up to the very top. I suppose it triples the amount of development work, but still :P

If I have one complaint, it's that Baby Park made the cut. I can't stand that track as it's just a waste of the race. It's too simple and I always feel a little short changed when comparing it to courses like Big Blue or Neo Bowser City. However, that's simply a preference, not a criticism based on anything technical.

Great post until this bit :)

I LOVE Baby Park, it's just utterly mental from start to finish, aided by the permanent antigrav on it. The league last night, 12 human players, utter carnage! I love it because its so different to every other track on there!!

I will say that 200cc is making previously boring tracks awesome - the desert tracks, toads turnpike, I bet it even makes Piranha plantway bearable!

This game is immense, really hope they keep on going with the DLC.

This was me. Was this on F-Zero track? I need to go back over the footage to see what actually happened.

OK, it doesn't seem as bad watching it back. I hit a boost, the tried to jump into a drift but it was in the middle of the track which seems to be slightly higher then the edges, as such, it looks like I fly off the side.

Baby Park is still sufficiently mental. Maybe a bit less without huge Chain Chomps, Shells and Bananas flying around... the anti-gravity ups the chaos nicely though, a great inclusion even if it is over too fast.

Fantastic DLC pack. Easily some of the best priced/value DLC this generation so far - if this and Hyrule Warriors is how Nintendo games will incorporate DLC and season passes in future, consider me SOLD. I'd welcome further DLC too - there's more than £12 worth of content here by far, each pack could have easy been £12 and probably would have been from other companies.

Only issue so far is 200cc feels TOO DAMN FAST. I have no hope of ever controlling races that that speed, wow. 150cc will do nicely for me.

The anti-grav bumping into each other helps with Baby Park, also the surplus of item blocks. I wonder if they're grouped in blocks of two because of double item boxes in Double Dash. Another small detail? Love how the music ramps up with each lap too. Little things that no one would have noticed had they not been there, but added together... :love::love::love:

Only issue so far is 200cc feels TOO DAMN FAST. I have no hope of ever controlling races that that speed, wow. 150cc will do nicely for me.

I don't think it's that fast but I'm not sure it suits Mario Kart. Maybe if it were toned down a little? Is not really the additional mode I want, I'd rather they added...

500px-Mario_y_Luigi_MKDD.png

Forget Baby Park, it's fine. Hands down the worst track is Neo Bowser City. It would easily win a vote, contemplating making a thread for this discussion. It looked $h1t€ in 3DS yet saw fit somehow to make it a returning track. I like all the other tracks. Even Cheese Land, I thought would be lame but is really good with loads of shortcuts dotted around the track and the cratered mini boosts.

Forget Baby Park, it's fine. Hands down the worst track is Neo Bowser City. It would easily win a vote, contemplating making a thread for this discussion. It looked $h1t€ in 3DS yet saw fit somehow to make it a returning track. I like all the other tracks. Even Cheese Land, I thought would be lame but is really good with loads of shortcuts dotted around the track and the cratered mini boosts.

You trying to encourage me to suggest a night you hate? Because comments like that make you such an easy target.

Neo Bowser City... Oh wait... Koopa City (That name change bugs me, considering the signs still have the American name) is a perfectly OK course.

Or are you still a little bit hurt from last night's race?

7th, right?

I think it works great on 200cc, really hammers home the "You need to BRAKE" message. It also looks great with the weather effects.

You trying to encourage me to suggest a night you hate? Because comments like that make you such an easy target.

Neo Bowser City... Oh wait... Koopa City (That name change bugs me, considering the signs still have the American name) is a perfectly OK course.

Or are you still a little bit hurt from last night's race?

7th, right?

I think it works great on 200cc, really hammers home the "You need to BRAKE" message. It also looks great with the weather effects.

Forget I said anything. :D Yes I was bad last night, I don't want to talk about it. :cry:

It's too dark and hard to make out what's happening and off putting neon lights flashing everywhere but on the track. Why do people talk about the weather like it's some redeeming feature? If the track is crap, it doesn't matter how cool the rain looks.