NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

Blue shells are at the heart of everything that's wrong with modern day Mario Kart. Less about skill, more about a free for all party game.

Blue shells are at the heart of everything that's wrong with modern day Mario Kart. Less about skill, more about a free for all party game.

But it's an important part of the game.

I think an online system like this would work great:

Casual: All items

Semi-Pro: Stuff like blue shells are turned off, but the more standard items are available.

Professional: No items, but start with 3 mushrooms.

Private: Includes a Smash Bros style item selector.

I hope the online is much more expanded this time, as in voice chat, parties etc.

Also more stuff in the single player would be good rather than just Grand Prix. Maybe some kind of 'adventure mode', mission mode etc.

:)

Blue shells are fine in moderation; 3+ per match, every match on MK7 is game breaking. The AI cheats shamelessly in that game and destroys an otherwise quality MK.

Lord, God, I pray Nintendo doesn't listen to you people. :mad:

Mario Kart is a luck+skill based game. If you're in the bottom 6 then more chance you will see lightning, bullet bill, mega shroom, the bluey etc. At thw very least, make it more chancey that the bottom 3 will see the bluey and perhaps quite rare for the rest.

For me, MK & SSB are different with regards to item customisation. But options in privates would be welcome.

Lord, God, I pray Nintendo doesn't listen to you people. :mad:

Mario Kart is a luck+skill based game. If you're in the bottom 6 then more chance you will see lightning, bullet bill, mega shroom, the bluey etc. At thw very least, make it more chancey that the bottom 3 will see the bluey and perhaps quite rare for the rest.

For me, MK & SSB are different with regards to item customisation. But options in privates would be welcome.

You are so wrong. It has only in recent editions started to become this way.

The original was a kart racing game. About driving. So was the N64 version, and that had a big emphasis on multiplayer. A fair multiplayer. Same goes for GC and probably DS.

The Wii version is where it became ridiculous. It doesn't matter if you were a shit driver at times because, like you say, it was about luck. In previous editions, skill would prevail. In Wii, you could have tons of skill, yet one fucking bullet bill would undo all of that. It was unfair. It's an unfair game, and for that reason (coupled with bad track design) I hate it.

First and foremost, it should be about driving/kart racing. Yes, the weapons should have some kind of impact, but they shouldn't over-dominate the racing, which is what has happened. Racing should always come first. This is why 8 appeals to me, it looks like it has remembered where it came from.

The problem with blue shells is, that the last in place targets the first in place. Number two three and so on, benefit as much as number last. I think the blue shell in MK64 was better; as it slides over the track, all drivers could get hit. From the moment they've gotten wings (double dash) only the current number one would be targeted (the explosion is easy to dodge for the rest) and it felt more and more unfair. Lightenings are more fair in my opinion.

In Mario Kart 7, the blue shell hits everyone in its path too, so I think Mario Kart 8 will retain that feature.

In Mario Kart 7, the blue shell hits everyone in its path too, so I think Mario Kart 8 will retain that feature.

Not 'everyone', just people in it's path. Many blue shells have passed me without touching, but sometimes I have been unluckily in it's path...

Ninja Edit: Which I have just realised is what you basically said... apologies!

Gosh dudes, you all think too one-dimensionally. Mario Kart isn't like your Grand Turismo's or Forza's. On the contrary, t'is a party racer. Think of Mario Party; one could be skilled at all the mini games but can that one use the skill magnificently to still keep even an slight advantage over the unluckiness?... Gambling on dangerous routes because you know that you will crush the mini games; use splendid teamwork when paired with a genuine noob, etc etc.

Mario Kart on NES all the way to Wii has had items. It has simply become more fancier. I hear you on the terrible track design not helping and also the bluey should hit EVERYONE ahead of the user like MK64 so that it benefits the USER to catch up. A decent method to help the not-so-skilled against the skilled.

With all these different routes and what not, the blue should perhaps do kage bunshins :laughing:

EDIT - Not to mention that the charm of the partyness is that there are so many possibilities, it could be one crazy race where momentum keeps switching to different players, then.... Lightning. Then everyone's like "WHAT THE F*** :laughing: " lol. That is Mario Kart.

Pussy, you could be in 1st and then you get a blue and you're like "Shit! Should I quickly kamekaze myself and hope I remain in the lead and then grab items for defense against the offense? Or do I slow down, let somebody feel a split second of belief that they could win the thing and then 9/11 the wank out of em?"

This, my family, is MARIO KART. :bowdown:

Edited by Beverage

If you guys want a fast and run racer without blue shells then get Sonic Racing Transformed :D

Personally I think blue shells are completely stupid cause they don't help the person who throws it and they severely punish the person who's good - it's worst when you race perfectly until the blue shell hits you at the very end and everyone overtakes you. But hey without the blue shell people would cry about other people being better than them instead of trying to become better themselves.

Am I the only one who still manages to kick arse despite being hit by several blue shells in a race?

Am I the only one who still manages to kick arse despite being hit by several blue shells in a race?

Take part in the Mario Kart League then we'll see if you can still "kick arse" after being hit by a blue shell.

On MK Wii, it never really affected me much, but getting hit on MK7 destroys my race.

The items aren't necessarily more over powered now, it's more that the Mini Turbo system has been under powered. In the old games it was proficient use of Mini Turbos that really separed the pros from the rest, now the balance has shifted to tactical item usage and being in the right place at the right time.

Nintendo took note of the large group of vocal gamers crying about "snaking" in Mario Kart DS and made pretty drastic changes. Got to be careful what we wish for. ::shrug:

The only thing online I hate (on MK DS thinly one I've played online); was snaking... That was just annoying... :/

Edit: LOL just seen above post!

Customizable item distributions would solve everybody's problems (and an in-depth one similar to Super Smash Bros. like someone else mentioned). I want lots of blue shells when I'm playing with my friends since I'm so much better than them, it helps even it out, but if you're playing with people that are experienced at the game, the types of people that do time trials, etc. then you'd probably just want more strategic and consistent items like bananas (or no items at all).

64, Double Dash and Wii games all had great mechanics in terms of a skilled player playing with casual gamers imo, I just hope this doesn't have mechanics like the DS game where it's too easy to speed off ahead of everybody, but if it does, at least if there's a lot you can customize everybody can tailor it for their own preferences.

On another note, Baby Park from the GameCube game was one of the most chaotic levels ever, and frankly quite hilarious at times imo. I hope we get another track like that.

I want Nintendo to go utterly apeshit With mario kart online and multiplayer. Blueshells IS mario kart, but it just needs to be less frequent and less powerful.

Highlights video is a great start, but LET US EDIT THEM PLEASE. They said the game auto creates a 30 second highlights video.. Boo. I want everything customisable for the tournaments create, ultimate flexibility. The game could due the cod of this generation.

I remember when lightning bolts used to be rare back in the Super Mario Kart days on the SNES, you got one and were like :o - nowadays they'll pop up three or four times a race.

That first game had the best battle mode tracks too, where it was all about skill. Deadly fast red shells + feather made for fantastically tense matches.

I played Mario Kart Wii online a few days ago because I haven't played the game in ages. I wasn't driving particularly well and I kinda felt embarrassed when I was steaming through the pack with a bullet bill after racing so horribly :red: There were other races where I felt I was doing well only to be successively bombarded with no less than 4 different items.. and that did not feel good :blank:

I then played the 150cc Special Cup in Mario Kart 64 and had so much fun :yay: It makes me feel a little sad playing it on my own because I remember how much fun it is to play in multiplayer, not least the awesome Battle Mode :grin:

I miss you, Block Fort : peace:

There were other races where I felt I was doing well only to be successively bombarded with no less than 4 different items.. and that did not feel good :blank:

Get that GIF in here @RedShell, you know what I'm talking about ;)

64, Double Dash and Wii games all had great mechanics in terms of a skilled player playing with casual gamers imo, I just hope this doesn't have mechanics like the DS game where it's too easy to speed off ahead of everybody, but if it does, at least if there's a lot you can customize everybody can tailor it for their own preferences.

Double Dash had very similar Mini Turbos to DS actually. Both games allowed you to pretty much Mini Turbo non stop from start to finish. Watch some Double Dash time trial videos, the Mini Turbos there can be chained in a straight line almost, hardly any "snaking" motion, and you can ride along walls without slowing down whilst doing it!

I guess people have fonder memories of Double Dash because it was only ever played in local split screen matches against close friends. None of which used many Mini Turbos probably.

Y'know, I could see them changing how the blue shell works. If the gamepad displays the map, maybe when you get a blue shell you can basically aim it at ANYONE (so not just first place). Just tap their icon on the bottom screen to auto-aim them. Heck, maybe you could just choose a specific part of the map for it to hit? You target a player, it just takes them out with a small explosion, but if you target a portion of the map it goes full nuclear, able to take out loads in the vicinity, but would require expert timing. Opinions?

Y'know, I could see them changing how the blue shell works. If the gamepad displays the map, maybe when you get a blue shell you can basically aim it at ANYONE (so not just first place). Just tap their icon on the bottom screen to auto-aim them. Heck, maybe you could just choose a specific part of the map for it to hit? You target a player, it just takes them out with a small explosion, but if you target a portion of the map it goes full nuclear, able to take out loads in the vicinity, but would require expert timing. Opinions?

Ooh, I LOVE that idea!

Not exactly Mario Kart 8 related but I found something awesome today :D

4P3fzOTl.jpg?1

Hey, I love that idea!

Only problem is that it wouldn't work in multiplayer mode... Too bad, they didn't have a system like that in Mario kart 7; it would have been very fun!