N-Europe

Book Burning: Do You Agree?

Beast

Okay so literally about a few minutes ago, I watched someone on YouTube burn their copy of New Moon and it just got me thinking whether people agree or disagree (no comments saying "Well, it's Twilight so I totally agree" or anything similar).

I guess it just kind of got me thinking is all. Honestly, if I were to burn my books, I'd feel guilty in a sense because it's sort of like disrespecting someone's work, no matter how shit the book was. Like, I find 50 Shades to be the worst thing right now but I wouldn't burn it. I'd just sell it on or give it to charity.

I know that these writers make loads of money but I couldn't help but feel at least a bit guilty. I know how long it takes to write a book and the effort put into it and I know they'd probably have millions to get over it but it's still like "Wow...". I don't know, I'm just getting emotional in my old age! :p

So do you mind if you burned a book no matter how crap you found it? If you said you would, would there be some kind of meaning behind it or a reason why? How would it make you feel? Would you care? (I don't think a lot of people would, just me! haha).

I don't see it as much of a disrespect, as I doubt the author (at least when they're that successful) would care. Meyers has to deal with much worse criticisms.

Personally though I just think it's a massive waste. If you don't want to pass the book on, rip it up and put it in the recycling at least.

I'd happily have everyone who read Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey burned with their books.

The ability to convey ideas and emotions through literature is nothing short of miraculous and these people waste it gratuitously. Shitty literature is junk food for your mind.

It's a waste, for starters. There's absolutely no purpose for it unless you're literally freezing.

Second, I believe books have an immense value, even the crappy ones. A man's junk is another man's treasure and all that. Burning a book is a bit like attempting to murder an idea, a despicable action in itself.

Of course, I know they're just copies, but burning a book is not about destroying the copy, it bears more symbolism than that. Recycling or throwing away a book, I can get that, there's a functional purpose. But burning is about the pleasure of watching it burn.

If stuff like Twilight or 50 Shades is mindless drivel, then what is the pleasure of watching something waste away?

It's a waste, for starters. There's absolutely no purpose for it unless you're literally freezing.

Second, I believe books have an immense value, even the crappy ones. A man's junk is another man's treasure and all that. Burning a book is a bit like attempting to murder an idea, a despicable action in itself.

Of course, I know they're just copies, but burning a book is not about destroying the copy, it bears more symbolism than that. Recycling or throwing away a book, I can get that, there's a functional purpose. But burning is about the pleasure of watching it burn.

If stuff like Twilight or 50 Shades is mindless drivel, then what is the pleasure of watching something waste away?

I couldn't possibly have phrased it any better than this.

No I disagree. Our society is based on words as a foundation for communication, it's one of our hallmarks as a species. You burn the words someone else has written, then you are burning what they have said. All of us have at one time or another been censored/deleted on the internet, and only someone with mental problems does not even have the tiniest pang of indignation at that censorship or deletion. Those are my words. They are a record of my existence. Even "LOL" is relevant, no matter how sad that may seem - someone laughed at what you said. And that means you changed the world. Even in a tiny world. You were there. It happened.

It's irrelevant whether you burn a copy: if only the original has any value, then only one copy of every book ever written should exist. Then of course book prices would skyrocket, or perhaps the market would be flooded with thousands of inferior books written by people to try and capitalise on the paucity of reading material.

However, in an emergency, I suppose you'd have to burn a book. But start with religious texts first (the most worthless) and leave the dictionaries until last - those are the protoplasm of the written word.