N-Europe

Wii U VC

madeinbeats

Are Nintendo having trouble emulating the SNES Super FX chip? (Can't remember if YI appeared on the Wii VC. Presuming it never, alongside StarFox and my childhood love: Stunt Race FX.)

It didn't... The Super FX is the only major SNES co-processor chip (there are another couple of super obscure ones that were used in single JPN only games; but I'm not counting them) that they haven't emulated on the VC yet...

The weird thing though is that they've actually bothered to emulate the Cx4 chip (Megaman X2) and the S-DD1 chip (Street Fighter Alpha 2) and they're arguably MORE difficult to emulate than the Super FX chip anyway...

For what it's worth though, I don't think the GBA version is bad (and the extra 6 bonus level added into it are actually really good - easily just as good as any of the original levels and make the GBA version worthwhile in its own right) but it isn't as good as the original SNES version...

Sound quality is worse (though considering the GBA's sound capabilities compared to the SNES, they did a great job! It's definitely one of the better GBA-SNES sound conversions!) visuals are washed out, two player compatibility for the minigames was removed, certain special effects were either mangled (Touch Fuzzy) or removed entirely (Kamek's magic) and there is some minor slowdown here and there... (though funnily enough, the spinning island title screen looks much better in the GBA version, so it's not a total loss!)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's more of a licensing issue than an emulation issue

Oh not this again... WHO would they be licensing the Super FX chip tech from again? (Argonaut don't exist anymore...)

Not to mention that they actually co-developed the chip in the first place; they didn't license it from anyone to begin with.

I doubt that there's anything specific holding back Super FX releases but rather I think it's a matter of them just not being bothered to put the work in to emulate the games that used the chip while they've still got other content that they can re-release before having to bother with the Super FX games...

Oh not this again... WHO would they be licensing the Super FX chip tech from again? (Argonaut don't exist anymore...)

Not to mention that they actually co-developed the chip in the first place; they didn't license it from anyone to begin with.

I doubt that there's anything specific holding back Super FX releases but rather I think it's a matter of them just not being bothered to put the work in to emulate the games that used the chip while they've still got other content that they can re-release before having to bother with the Super FX games...

Well there has to be a reason and I don't think that it's that they "can't be bothered". That idea is ridiculous.

I want so many snes games.... Nintendo are so weird, they could have a steady flow of games for their system, but the expemplify their barren schedule by having a pisspoor VC schedule.... Bizarre....

Not too bothered, I have golf, but just thinking of the system...

Thing is, many of the third party games have to be decided on, released and even compiled by the third party and not by Nintendo, and unfortunately, they don't seem to want to do it on Wii U.

Square Enix need to get their foot out and release the damn VC games outside of Japan.

Edited by Serebii

Thing is, many of the third party games have to be decided on, released and even compiled by the third party and not by Nintendo, and unfortunately, they don't seem to want to do it on Wii U.

Square Enix need to get their foot out and release the damn VC games outside of Japan.

Nintendo handle all of the VC emulation, QA and manual creation themselves.! It is virtually risk free for 3rd parties to allow their games to be re-released (though Nintendo take a larger percentage of the takings than the usual 70/30 split in order to compensate for the fact that they're footing the bill for everything).

So, here is a list of Nintendo published NES, SNES and GBA games that have yet to make it on the Wii U VC. I've bolded the ones that we are likely to get due to nothing blocking it

NES

Devil World

F-1 Race - Unlikely due to license

Wild Gunman - Unlikely due to needing the Zapper

Duck Hunt - Unlikely due to needing the Zapper

Hogan's Alley - Unlikely due to needing the Zapper

Baseball

Donkey Kong Jr. Math

Kung-Fu Master - Unlikely due to the license (was based on a Jackie Chan movie)

Stack-up - Unlikely due to needing R.O.B.

Gyromite - Unlikely due to needing R.O.B.

Mach Rider

Donkey Kong Jr.

Gumshoe - Unlikely due to needing Zapper

Nazo no Murasame Jō - Japan only

Pro Wrestling

Slalom - Actually unsure about this. Was made by Rare.

Soccer

Famicom Grand Prix: F1 Race - Japan Only

Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally - Japan Only

R.C. Pro-Am - Same as Slalom

Famicom Wars - Japan Only

Tetris

Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir - Japan only

Cobra Triangle - Same as Slalom

Mother - Japan Only

Barker Bill's Trick Shooting - Licensing issues

NES Play Action Football - North America only

Star Tropics

Snake Rattle 'n' Roll - Same as Slalom & Mattel Licensing issues

Pin-Bot - Same as Slalom

Nintendo World Cup - Japan Only

Time Twist: On the Outskirts of History... - Japan Only

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Japan Only

Fire Emblem Gaiden - Japan Only

Yoshi's Cookie

Joy Mech Fight - Japan Only

Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II

SNES

SimCity - Will never happen. Got removed off the Wii Virtual Console due to EA.

Super Tennis

Mario Paint - Unlikely (Mouse required)

Super Scope 6 - Unlikely (Super Scope required)

Battle Clash - Unlikely (Super Scope required)

Super Play Action Football - NA Only. Unlikely due to license

World League Basketball - Unlikely due to license

StarFox - Super FX chip makes it unlikely

Yoshi's Safari - Unlikely (Super Scope Required)

Super Mario All-Stars - I don't think this is likely, unfortunately

Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge - Unlikely (Super Scope Required)

Super Hockey - Unlikely due to license

Mario & Wario - Unlikely (Japan only and Mouse required)

Stunt Race FX - Super FX chip makes it unlikely

Super Punch-Out - Japan got this last month so likely!

Tin Star - North America Only

Ken Griffey, Jr. Presents Major League Baseball - NA Only. Unlikely due to license

Donkey Kong Country

Uniracers - Not going to happen due to lawsuit by Pixar

Wario's Woods - We got the NES version

Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Japan only

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Super FX chip makes it unlikely

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Kirby's Ghost Trap

Super Mario RPG (Requires Square Enix to pull their foot out)

Ken Griffey, Jr.'s Winning Run - Unlikely due to license

Tetris Attack

Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!

Kirby's Star Stacker

Wrecking Crew '98 - Japan only. Unlikely.

Super Famicom Wars - Japan only

Sutte Hakkun - Japan Only

Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - Japan only

GBA

Mario Kart: Super Circuit

Super Mario Advance

Wario Land 4 (Japan got it)

Kuru Kuru Kururin

Magical Vacation - Japan only

Disney's Magical Quest Starring Mickey & Minnie - Unlikely (License)

Game & Watch Gallery 4

Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (Japan got it)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Swords

Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 (Japan got it)

Tomato Adventure (Japan only)

Domo-Kun no Fushigi Terebi (Japan only)

Koro Koro Puzzle Happy Panechu! (Japan only)

Fire Emblem: Fuin no Tsurugi (Japan only)

Sakura Momoko no Ukiuki Carnival (Japan only)

Custom Robo GX (Japan only)

Densetsu no Stafy (Japan only)

Kururin Paradise (Japan only)

Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising

Donkey Kong Country

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (Requires Square Enix)

Fire Emblem

Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak (Licensing)

Hamtaro: Rainbow Rescue (Licensing)

Pokémon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire

Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire - Never going to happen

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3

Sword of Mana (Requires Square Enix)

Top Gear Rally - Unlikely due to licensing

Mother 1 + 2 (Japan only)

Densetsu no Stafy 2 (Japan only)

Donkey Kong Country 2

F-Zero GP Legend

Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls (Requires Square Enix)

Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Games (Licensing)

Mario Golf: Advance Tour

Mario Pinball Land

Mario vs. Donkey Kong

Metroid: Zero Mission

Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen - Not going to happen

Densetsu no Stafy 3 (Japan only)

F-Zero Climax (Japan only)

DK: King of Swing

Donkey Kong Country 3

Dr. Mario & Puzzle League

Dynasty Warriors Advance - Requires Tecmo Koei

Final Fantasy IV Advance - Requires Square Enix

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (Japan got it)

Mario Party Advance

Mario Tennis: Power Tour (Japan got it)

Pokémon Emerald - Not going to happen

WarioWare: Twisted! - Tilt control could make it tricky

Yoshi Topsy-Turvy - Tilt control could make it tricky

Sennen Kazoku (Japan only)

Nonono Puzzle Chalien (Japan only)

Drill Dozer

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team

Eyeshield 21: Devilbats Devildays (Japan only)

Mother 3 (Japan only)

Calciobit (Japan only)

Unfortunately, SNES got the short end of the stick, first party wise. I'm actually stunned at the low amount of content on it. First-party wise, we're actually running out of content on all platforms except GBA.

Nintendo handle all of the VC emulation, QA and manual creation themselves.! It is virtually risk free for 3rd parties to allow their games to be re-released (though Nintendo take a larger percentage of the takings than the usual 70/30 split in order to compensate for the fact that they're footing the bill for everything).

From what I've been given to understand, the third parties still have to agree to it and allow it, which is why things have been so spartan on the Wii U. That's why Capcom have been running polls for releases. Why Namco has been reregistering GBA games etc.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Well of course 3rd parties need to give permission, that just goes without saying :p

Still there's no reason for them not to re-release their games (unless there are licensing issues standing in their way).

BTW, SimCity SNES is still available on the EU Wii VC. It was only removed from the US service IIRC (and no I have no idea why either :blank: )

Well of course 3rd parties need to give permission, that just goes without saying :p

Still there's no reason for them not to re-release their games (unless there are licensing issues standing in their way).

BTW, SimCity SNES is still available on the EU Wii VC. It was only removed from the US service IIRC (and no I have no idea why either :blank: )

Really? I had a look the other day because I have points on my account still, and the urge to play it, and I couldn't find it.

Really? I had a look the other day because I have points on my account still, and the urge to play it, and I couldn't find it.

That's what I remember hearing anyway (I only had a US Wii at the time). If it doesn't come up from a search or by looking at the publishers category, maybe it was later removed from Europe's one as well...

@Serebii Why wouldn't All Stars be likely? The reason why they went retail with the VC version on Wii instead of digital is because they were worried about it taking sales away from the NES versions. They couldn't do bundles and discounts and variable prices before... But now they can!

They could just make it more expensive than a standard SNES game and then offer it for a discount for those who already own all 4 NES games...

Also Nazo no Murasame Jō was rated for EU/AUS release a few years back as "The Mysterious Murasame Castle" No word since, but it does at least mean that they intend on releasing it in English speaking territories eventually :)

Otherwise... They just need to get off their lazy arses and emulate the peripherals/Super FX Chip needed for the rest of those missing games. The Wii U has all the tools necessary to handle those different input methods through the Gamepad and Wiimote, they just need to stop being lazy...

Edited by Dcubed

Looks like Japan is getting Fire Emblem Rekka no Ken (just Fire Emblem here) next week!

We better be getting our second wave of titles soon, Japan are hogging all the good games to themselves.

Looks like Japan is getting Fire Emblem Rekka no Ken (just Fire Emblem here) next week!

We better be getting our second wave of titles soon, Japan are hogging all the good games to themselves.

Interesting that they're doing Blazing Sword before Sword of Seals (or Sacred Stones for that matter). Wonder if it means anything in regards to a potential localisation of FE6... Nah, probably not :(

Bart Simpson vs The Space Mutants would indeed be amazing. What a game.
Great game! :D

... but I only made it to level 2 on my Amiga 500 :p

It may have partly been my joystick, but damn it was hard! and that skateboarding section at the end of the first level that got faster and faster!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!