NEurope
gaggle64

Random Access Memories & Daft Punk appreciation thread

First impressions are not great :/ I'm finding it mostly pretty boring.

I think it is a bit of a grower. With a first listen, some of the songs seemed a bit meh to me, but they sorta kept getting better when I listened to them again.

Giorgio and Contact are just amazing tracks.

I could do withouth Doin' it right though, that one just doesn't click with me. I think it is the singing of Panda Bear which annoys me.

I am itching to listen to it right now but I don't have itunes on my work computer. Anyone know if it is available anywhere else?

Contact sounds like Waters of Nazareth. Except less epic. It sounds like it even uses the same chord progression.

I think it is a bit of a grower. With a first listen, some of the songs seemed a bit meh to me, but they sorta kept getting better when I listened to them again.

Giorgio and Contact are just amazing tracks.

I could do withouth Doin' it right though, that one just doesn't click with me. I think it is the singing of Panda Bear which annoys me.

I am itching to listen to it right now but I don't have itunes on my work computer. Anyone know if it is available anywhere else?

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Random+Access+Memories/8814557

I thought i liked Contact, but that annoying sound at the end almost gave me a headache.....maybe it will grow on me.

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Random+Access+Memories/8814557

I thought i liked Contact, but that annoying sound at the end almost gave me a headache.....maybe it will grow on me.

Thanks!

I found it on Youtube as well but the quality wasn't great haha.

Yeah I am not a huge fan of the static at the end of Contact, could do with that part being a bit shorter, but apart from that I love it. =)

The final 60 seconds of Giorgio. And after that the track Within.

There are no words.

The more I listen to this album the more it grows on me. It's beautiful.

Edited by drahkon

Gave this a couple more listens, think my opinion actually got lower. Really surprised that Daft Punk fans think this is good...

Gave this a couple more listens, think my opinion actually got lower. Really surprised that Daft Punk fans think this is good...

I think it's amazing, and even if you can't enjoy the melodies, you can (should :p) admire the music or rather the composition of the tracks.

But it's with all arts: Either you like it, or not and that's fine ;)

Like with Human After All, the more I listen, the more I love.

Vinyl arrived this morning.

tumblr_mmzm2tnuWG1qgctyzo1_1280.jpg

Really? What makes you say that?

It's beautifully crafted, it's new and it's memorable. Fragments of Time has been stuck in my head all day.

Maybe the problem is that you expected Discovery II? That would have disappointed me more. Every album should feel fresh and new. They're all new journeys.

Anyway, can't wait to have the actual album. :D

I've only been listening to it with headphones and while working, maybe that's soured my impressions. I'll give the whole thing another go and in a better atmosphere.

The highs for me are the disco moments, the opening song and Get Lucky - which is probably still my favourite track, as well as Touch and Contact (the middle of it anyway, beginning too slow and end a mess, I get the idea of a climatic clash of music like fireworks of noise but for me it didn't work here).

The slow stuff I'm not feeling at all, in fact I get a bit bored. The game of love near the start - then Beyond, Motherboard and Fragments of time are three in a row that basically blend into one dull track for me.

Giorgio is great but I really can't stand is the talking sections. Should be able to tell a story with the music. Even if I found what was basically an interview wedged into the album interesting the first time, I'm not going to on the 5th or 10th time.

And yeah I'm still in the nothing-touches-Discovery camp, (I know, sorry... :/)

Edited by Shorty

Even if I found what was basically an interview wedged into the album interesting the first time, I'm not going to on the 5th or 10th time.

"My name is Giovanni Giorgio, but everybody calls me Giorgio". And then...the best drop in the history of music.

That's why the 'interview' has to be there.

But I say it again: You don't have to like it.

I can see your points. The slower tracks boring you, the interview, etc.

As @Fierce_LiNk said: It's beautifully crafted, it's new and it's memorable. And I think you can (and do) agree to that. Especially since you like some of the tracks :)

I'll give the whole thing another go and in a better atmosphere.

Highly doubt it'll change your mind. Though, with a nice sound system and a relaxing environment you may get a more positive impression :)

Edited by drahkon

I've only been listening to it with headphones and while working, maybe that's soured my impressions. I'll give the whole thing another go and in a better atmosphere.

The highs for me are the disco moments, the opening song and Get Lucky - which is probably still my favourite track, as well as Touch and Contact (the middle of it anyway, beginning too slow and end a mess, I get the idea of a climatic clash of music like fireworks of noise but for me it didn't work here).

The slow stuff I'm not feeling at all, in fact I get a bit bored. The game of love near the start - then Beyond, Motherboard and Fragments of time are three in a row that basically blend into one dull track for me.

Giorgio is great but I really can't stand is the talking sections. Should be able to tell a story with the music. Even if I found what was basically an interview wedged into the album interesting the first time, I'm not going to on the 5th or 10th time.

And yeah I'm still in the nothing-touches-Discovery camp, (I know, sorry... :/)

The talking sections of Giorgio work well with the track, especially the breakdown part that Dr4hkon mentions. I can't believe you don't like either Fragments of Time or Motherboard. Both are gorgeous.

Give it another listen at home and with a stereo or CD player or something with speakers. Maybe give it a week and go back and listen to it. For me, it's definitely got better with each listen.

Discovery was perfect as it was the right album at the right time. You can't mimic that. This is brilliant in its own right.

"My name is Giovanni Giorgio, but everybody calls me Giorgio". And then...the best drop in the history of music.

But I say it again: You don't have to like it.

I can see your points. The slower tracks boring you, the interview, etc.

As @Fierce_LiNk said: It's beautifully crafted, it's new and it's memorable. And I think you can (and do) agree to that. Especially since you like some of the tracks :)

Highly doubt it'll change your mind. Though, with a nice sound system and a relaxing environment you may get a more positive impression :)

Dat breakdown! :D

Just listened to it again. Daft Punk made a wise choice by going with live drums rather than samples. It kicks arse.

Like a lot of people I listened to the entire album expecting something along the lines of Homework and Discovery, and, upon finding out that none of that exists, became incredibly disappointed. It took a few more listens to clear my head and enjoy the album for what it is rather than what my expectations felt it should have been like.

Once that was out of the way I found myself enjoying a great deal of it. This may be completely untrue, but I feel like the duo's trying to break away from their genre with this album by making actual songs instead of house/electronic tracks that consist of catchy loops and the like (which was basically what Homework was to me). Granted, they've done this more than once in their previous albums, but with this one I feel like structure and harmony (which they've mentioned more than once in The Collaborators series) are the entire focus of the album; like they're trying to place themselves as far away as possible from their signature loops and samples.

I still don't get why some of you are fascinated with Contact, though. It's the only song on the album that I truly believe shouldn't have been there. The build-up is way too long and the drop is extremely disappointing; just a bad loop that keeps extending itself over and over for six minutes with minute degrees of variation. The last minute and a half of it isn't even music. I know it's supposed to be something to send you off after listening to the album, but they could have done way better.

I also think a bunch of other tracks suffer from the same problem, like Touch. Whenever the song begins I skip over to where Paul Williams begins singing with the non-robotic voice, and even after that part's done I skip over to the last minute of the song because I feel the loop they use during the fourth minute onwards is too repetitive for me to enjoy it. It's still a fantastic track, but I feel like if it weren't for those boring, over-extended pauses in between it would have been perfect.

Like @Shorty mentioned, there are a lot of slow bits that sound too dry to catch my attention (with the exception of Fragments of Time. It's probably my favorite track off the album).

My favorite tracks are Fragments Of Time, Doin' It Right, Instant Crush, Get Lucky, Give Life Back to Music, and the first 40 seconds of Beyond. :heh:

The drop's pretty 'meh' to me. I mean, it's good and all, yes, but it's not Daft Punk good, if you catch my drift.

Edited by arab_freak

The more I listen to Touch, the more I like it. I actually love the build up.

But Lose Yourself to Dance is by far my favourite, a definite stand out. Fucking hell, those robots...

c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, C'MONNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I need to listen to Fragments of Time and Motherboard again, I can't ignore two people considering these their faves, and maybe I remembered them wrong. I've had one or two albums in my life that it took me at least a week to "get", and I really want to love this record since I've been looking forward to it so much....

Daft Punk made a wise choice by going with live drums rather than samples. It kicks arse.

They made a wise choice by going with live instruments during most of the album.

The drop's pretty 'meh' to me. I mean, it's good and all, yes, but it's not Daft Punk good, if you catch my drift.

I kinda catch your drift, not entirely though. I've been listening to Human After All and Discovery for the past two weeks. If I had expected an album similar to those, I would've agreed with you, and probably been as disappointed as Shorty.

The more I listen to Touch, the more I like it. I actually love the build up.

It's a beautiful song :)

Contact doesn't have a drop. That's the point/joke.

Contact doesn't have a drop. That's the point/joke.

They're talking about Giooooorgiooooo.

I really like the album as a whole, but there's a few tracks that just aren't clicking with me at all. The Game of Love (too slow too early on in the album), Beyond, and Motherboard.

Don't think I can really pick a favourite out of the rest yet, although I'm noticing a lack of love for Within. Probably my favourite slow song on the album. Touch is just epic, and Give Life Back to Music and Get Lucky are so funky.

Listening to this right now for the first time while writing my reviews, loving it so far, I feel that this could be an album that I could 'live inside' for a while. :D

----------------------------------------

Currently 'losing myself to dance' and loving it, 'c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'monnnnn!'

I really do think that they've 'touched' upon something brilliant with this album.

Its definitely gone 'beyond' my expectations so far, making me realise that its been too long since I last properly listened to Daft Punk. :)

Motherboard... :heart:

'Doin' it right'? That's basically this whole album summed up as clearly a lot of love has gone into it.

What a final track, Contact is brilliant!

Overall a really enjoyable album that I can only see myself enjoying a hell of a lot more with future listens, stunning stuff.

Yep, it definitely gets better upon second listen, will put it on my MP3 player and listen to it again when I'm next on my way into work.

Edited by S.C.G

Just going to quote one of my own tweets here:

Giorgio by Moroder is like listening to your grandfather talk about his really cool life, with awesome background music.

Just going to quote one of my own tweets here:

I love "that" line before the drop. I've been quoting it to Ine on the way to work. :D

Can imagine some imitations/piss-takes soon.

Now that I've finally heard it I can say that I think it's fantastic - not quite up with Human After All or Discovery but definitely fantastic & fascinating homage to French disco with at least a couple of real classics. Get Lucky of course will remain the hit of this simmer but my personal favourite is Touch, part sci-fi sound scape and part love anthem. The whole thing is just delicious.