N-Europe

Britain - Most Violent Place in Europe

Fierce_LiNk

I feel dirty posting this as the source is the Daily Mail.. Do bear in mind that the article is from 2009, so it's not the most up to date.

- The UK has the second highest overall crime rate in the EU.

- It has a higher homicide rate than most of our western European neighbours, including France, Germany, Italy and Spain.

- The UK has the fifth highest robbery rate in the EU.

- It has the fourth highest burglary rate and the highest absolute number of burglaries in the EU, with double the number of offences than recorded in Germany and France.

article-1196941-05900DF7000005DC-677_468x636.jpg

The article does seem somewhat unfair, as it's adding England, Scotland, Wales and presumably Ireland into those statistics and comparing them to countries such as the Netherlands. But, nevertheless, it's interesting.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Pretty much. It's a thinly veiled attack on the previous government.

The figures match the same declining pattern as previous years.

One important fact is that each countries class "violent crime" differently. The UK has one of the broadest meanings of the term (for example, it includes robbery).

This is all very spurious - what's the definition of "violent crime" and how has this data been collated? They've listed 3 different sources but haven't explained how they've combined it. I'm not wrapping my head around Austria having a greater rate of violent crime then South Africa. In their own article the Police Minister points out it's impossible to compare rates from different countries because of they way they're collected, and that the biggest peak was in 1995 (ie, near the end of the last Conservative government), but then article immediately describes it as "a blow for Mr Johnson, who will today seek to reassert Labour's law and order credentials."

It looks like they've written up the article enough to avoid the most obvious bias but pulled a nice big (misleading) graph out of their asses to distract readers. I'll bet you my trousers the graph takes up most of the print version of this story.

I've taken this off another forum, and just noticed that this article was made in 2009. So, it's old, but I doubt the statistics would have changed dramatically in 3 years.

This is quite interesting, UK Crime Stats and Crime Stats for England and Wales.

It seems to show a trend in that second link that the number of reported crimes are falling.

Ever since I started listening to a podcast from BBC Radio 4 and the BBC World Service entitled 'More or Less' presented by Tim Harford I ignore all these so called 'statistics'. This particular one was debunked for precisely the reasons that @Cube stated; that crime is labelled and recorded completely differently in different countries, and therefore is impossible to cross reference and compare each other.

Enlighten yourself, open your mind and understand statistics, where they come from and how they are manipulated by all of the government parties, private companies, NGO's, etc., download this weekly and listen;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/moreorless

The last episode has a fascinating insight into the fourth anniversary of the earthquake which devastated the city of L’Aquila in Italy and which led to the conviction of six scientists and an official who failed to predict the disaster. Good listening.