NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
nekunando

Late to the PS3 Party!

I think you're shooting yourself in teh foot @/nando/ by basically entering a whole new market of games and just refusing to give a bunch of AAA games a chance.

On the other hand, the list of games he's interested in is more than big enough. You may as well play the ones you expect to like first.

Been playing through MGS4 and I'm disappointed. The first 2 acts were brilliant but having just finished the third act (following someone for 10 minutes - the rest, cutscenes), its really getting laborious playing this. And that's coming from a die hard MGS fan.

I started a session about an hour ago and am yet to actually 'game', it's just full of cut scenes. I didn't think the cut scenes were over bearing in the previous games but this is taking the piss slightly.

Disappointed. I'm hoping acts 4 and 5 make up for the bollocks that was act 3.

I didn't think the cut scenes were over bearing in the previous games but this is taking the piss slightly.

My friends dad thought he was watching a movie as he had left the room on a cut-scene and came back into the room later still watching cut-scenes.

You can see what Kojima wants. He wants to either make a film or some kind of story/novel. MGS has been going in that direction too over the years in the form of more cut-scenes.

The problem with that is that his stories aren't good enough to be movies, and movies are only 1.5-3 hours long because we don't have attention spans longer than that.

Edited by Shorty

I figured he'd be more of a TV series guy. He couldn't condense his stories into films.

There would also be some conversations that last three episodes with nothing else happening.

Been playing through MGS4 and I'm disappointed..

This news coming on the day that the 25th Anniversary Edition finally arrived from Zavvi after being ordered last Monday :indeed:

This news coming on the day that the 25th Anniversary Edition finally arrived from Zavvi after being ordered last Monday :indeed:

How did you manage to get a Zavvi order so quickly?

No this news coming after we all told you there are much better games to buy! :p

I've been using my PS3 on a daily basis over the last few weeks and I've been enjoying it, even if I sometimes feel like I'm somehow 'cheating' on Nintendo, or something.. :indeed: I got a PS1 and PS2 late in the day too, though, so it's not much of a change from tradition, I guess :heh:

The console has, however, froze 3 times with me over the last couple of days :hmm: It happened when I was playing Red Dead Redemption and then twice on Mirror's Edge. Do the original PS3 models have any reputation for this sort of thing happening..?

Mine freezes occasionally and it triple beeps itself off. I wouldn't be too concerned but since it's an original model there's a small chance the BluRay laser diode might give out, not sure if that would cause the system to crash, though.

Might be worth finding out if those games in particular tend to cause crashes, which I'm not sure about.

Just completed Uncharted 2!

I know you'll say I'm crazy but I'm pretty sure I preferred the first game! :p

Yes they're both linear, but I felt more like I was being pulled along in Uncharted 2 a lot of the time.

I think I preferred the two island setting of the first as I thought it allowed everything to develop more and kept things tighter, where as in the second game you're kind of all over the place! For this reason I kind of preferred the overall story of the first too, again it was simpler, but more focus on less characters.

Some incredible moments in the second game though...

The Intro, the rooftops of Tibet, the train, that snow! the fiery entrance to Shambala... and OMG was the city utterly jaw dropping when you arrive!!

:o

Also the ending exchange between Drake and Elena was so good, had me laughing and smiling throughout! :)

So yeah, it'll be on to the third sometime! :)

I look forward to hearing what you think about Uncharted 3. I'd say that probably most people still loved it but there were a lot more people this time around like me who were pretty letdown by it.

Uncharted 3 is an unbalanced mess. Reason why I don't hate on it more is that it still does its thing better than pretty much every game out there.

I completed Uncharted 2 three times and while I liked it the first time, it's probably the only game that got better every time I played. By the end of the third run through I loved it.

Yeah I actually think I'd enjoy it more the second time through too. I think I'd appreciate a second run through of the story.

Uncharted 3 is an unbalanced mess. Reason why I don't hate on it more is that it still does its thing better than pretty much every game out there.

See for me those problems that it had like stupid difficulty spikes ruined even the stuff Uncharted does great. It put a downer on the entire game. In the end I just dropped the game down to the easiest setting so I could see the story, completed it then traded it in.

Question is what do I go with next?

Uncharted 3 - and just carry on the story

Ni No Kuni - not sure I can devote the time to it atm but am tempted to just play it anyway!

Journey - short so maybe

Deus Ex - could download from PSN

Infamous 2 - could download from Plus, but Infamous 1 still feels quite fresh to me.

I recently finished Deus Ex on the 360, and boy did that last half hour really leave a bad taste in my mouth. It's a decent game overall but has certain misogynistic themes peppering it that became utterly inexcusable in literally the final 5 minutes of gameplay. It's a super interesting game when it's a noir-detective action game, less so after when it gets bogged down in it's own fiction. Leave it for something else.

In fact, just stop being a bitch and start a Ni No Kuni playthrough.

Yeah I think so probably, then maybe Dues Ex or Ni No Kuni, otherwise that's a lot of sand! :p

Still so many games to get though too! Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Assassins Creed 3, FarCry3 Blood Dragon, The Last of Us (soon), and wouldn't mind trying FarCry3 itself, Rachet & Clank series, Sly Cooper 4 etc...

haha @gaggle64! We'll see then after Journey. ;)

Yeah I think so probably, then maybe Dues Ex or Ni No Kuni, otherwise that's a lot of sand! :p

Still so many games to get though too! Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Assassins Creed 3, FarCry3 Blood Dragon, The Last of Us (soon), and wouldn't mind trying FarCry3 itself, Rachet & Clank series, Sly Cooper 4 etc...

haha @gaggle64! We'll see then after Journey. ;)

Journey really does what it says on the tin. I've only played it through once, but it'll stay with me for a long time.

Bit worried I've seen a few moments from it due to stupid game of the year videos last year that throw footage it at you unexpectedly... but I'm sure I'll still enjoy!

Did you play solo @Rummy?

No. I'd been told I needed to sign in, but I didn't and found companions appearing. I won't say too much about my journey yet, though.

I don't think it'd be as good solo, though.

I really want inFamous 2, LittleBigPlanet and Heavy Rain as well as all of the Uncharteds.

Just to let everybody here know if they didn't already but Uncharted 3 multiplayer is FREE to download. You do NOT need a disc and I'd recommend you download it, it's epic!

Yeah it should take 90 minutes and is best played in one go (says the guy who still hasnt got around to playing it yet)

Sign in to follow this