NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
nekunando

Late to the PS3 Party!

Over the last month deals have been going crazy for PS+ subscriptions.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if this is the last month where the games are even slightly above average :p

The new HDD arrived on Saturday so I spent quite a bit of the evening trying to get it all sorted as it didn't turn out to be as straightforward as the guide I watched on YouTube :hmm: I eventually managed to the new HDD formatted after burning an update disc to insert into the PS3 to get everything going! I never bothered doing a back up as there wasn't much I wanted to keep anyway..

The only other problem I have, though, is that the 40GB HDD I extracted from the PS3 isn't being recognised when I plug it into my PC within the enclosure I bought last week. Would the trouble be that I purchased a cheap one? I wouldn't want to pay the money for a 'better' one in case that doesn't solve the issue..

Anyway, I got my Red Dead Redemption data across so I can happily continue my save file on that :hehe:Heavy Rain couldn't be copied, but I had cleared it anyway and still have the trophies.. not that they matter to me :heh: I'd be playing it from the start anyway if I wanted to dip back into it :smile:

I've also downloaded Crash Team Racing, Nights and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night so.. it's all systems go, I guess :grin: I just need to get a Dual Shock 3 bought, avoiding all the fakes that are around, and that'll keep me going for a while..

The new HDD arrived on Saturday so I spent quite a bit of the evening trying to get it all sorted as it didn't turn out to be as straightforward as the guide I watched on YouTube :hmm: I eventually managed to the new HDD formatted after burning an update disc to insert into the PS3 to get everything going! I never bothered doing a back up as there wasn't much I wanted to keep anyway..

The only other problem I have, though, is that the 40GB HDD I extracted from the PS3 isn't being recognised when I plug it into my PC within the enclosure I bought last week. Would the trouble be that I purchased a cheap one? I wouldn't want to pay the money for a 'better' one in case that doesn't solve the issue..

Anyway, I got my Red Dead Redemption data across so I can happily continue my save file on that :hehe:Heavy Rain couldn't be copied, but I had cleared it anyway and still have the trophies.. not that they matter to me :heh: I'd be playing it from the start anyway if I wanted to dip back into it :smile:

I've also downloaded Crash Team Racing, Nights and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night so.. it's all systems go, I guess :grin: I just need to get a Dual Shock 3 bought, avoiding all the fakes that are around, and that'll keep me going for a while..

Without getting too techy and more importantly without really knowing if this'll work; whats your OS? If it's windows try going(when it's plugged in) to Start(or desktop) -> Right click computer/my computer -> Manage -> Storage -> Disk management. See if it shows up in there?

n1qnw4.jpg

EDIT: Actually the other thing I'd say - is it a 2.5" drive? Are you use a y cable with two usb bits to go in the computer? Might be possible it's not getting enough power if it's just through a regular cable.

Edited by Rummy

I have Windows 7, @Rummy, and I already checked on Saturday to discover that it appears in my Device Manager, but I can't do anything with it :hmm: Could there be a driver issue or something..? ::shrug:

It is a 2.5" SATA drive with a Y cable.. both of which were plugged in. My brother has an iPod so I was toying with the idea of plugging one end into the iPod mains charger to see if that helps..

On another topic, I love the first Metal Gear Solid and have enjoyed Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater, though not to anywhere near the same extent. Is Metal Gear Solid 4 worth investing in? The 25th Anniversary Edition is on Zavvi for £12.99 today..

It doesn't come up in Disk Management (shown in Rummy's post)?

Your PC won't read it until it's formatted and assigned a letter.

I have Windows 7, @Rummy, and I already checked on Saturday to discover that it appears in my Device Manager, but I can't do anything with it :hmm: Could there be a driver issue or something..? ::shrug:

It is a 2.5" SATA drive with a Y cable.. both of which were plugged in. My brother has an iPod so I was toying with the idea of plugging one end into the iPod mains charger to see if that helps..

On another topic, I love the first Metal Gear Solid and have enjoyed Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater, though not to anywhere near the same extent. Is Metal Gear Solid 4 worth investing in? The 25th Anniversary Edition is on Zavvi for £12.99 today..

I sold Metal gear Solid for for £4 a few days ago. Hated the game so much. It's barely a game to me. But I'm not massive on the franchise so if you like the franchise you'll probably like it. Some people think it's a masterpiece!

It doesn't come up in Disk Management (shown in Rummy's post)?

Your PC won't read it until it's formatted and assigned a letter.

It is showing up in the lower middle pane as 'Disk 2 / Unknown / 37.26 GB / Not Initialized'.. so if I initialize it, will that have the potential to get things to work..? ::shrug:

I couldn't get on with MGS4 at all, either. Just found it really boring, so much sitting around. Also, whilst I've never got there myself, I've heard that for some people the ending of MGS4 retroactively spoils the whole series.

I played MGS4 for a couple of hours. I gave up as I had no idea how to play the game or how any of the mechanics worked.

So.. not exactly a glowing endorsement of Guns of the Patriots but I ordered it last night in the hope that I'll enjoy it anyway :indeed:

Well plenty of people love it and it has 94 on metacritic so who knows :) I've always meant to give it another go, at some point.

seriously though there are some much better games I posted on the first page, have you got any of those yet?? :p

..seriously though there are some much better games I posted on the first page, have you got any of those yet??

You mean that list of games that I don't find particularly appealing..? I don't have any of those yet :heh: I could see myself getting the Uncharted games somewhere down the line, though :smile:

I don't wanna get too much too soon so I'll see where my current haul of games gets me! The Wii U is worryingly far down the priority line at the moment..

You mean that list of games that I don't find particularly appealing..?

Ah I get it now.

You should've listed the kind of games you like and dislike at the beginning!

If you'd said I don't like absolutely amazing games, I could've posted a totally different list.

By all means, ignore the lot and buy MGS4 :heh:

Nando, download The Unfinished Swan, I think you'll love it and there's nothing like it.

I would imagine that The Unfinished Swan and Journey will make their way into my collection at some point :smile:

Ah I get it now.

If you'd said I don't like overrated games, I could've posted a totally different list.

By all means, ignore the lot and buy MGS4 :heh:

I say it all the time.. : peace:

I would imagine that The Unfinished Swan and Journey will make their way into my collection at some point :smile:

Ah I get it now.

If you'd said I don't like overrated games, I could've posted a totally different list.

By all means, ignore the lot and buy MGS4

You just don't fucking know. Among other games, Shorty suggested:

Fallout 3

Infamous 2

Dark Souls

Uncharted 2

Those games are bloody exceptional. Between them, those four games crush the entire Wii library.

Of everything in the list, tell me you've at least played Portal....

You just don't fucking know...

I know.. and I wasn't being entirely serious with saying they were all overrated as I, of course, haven't experienced them for myself :smile:

I'm more than prepared to give most games a go, but there are plenty that don't seem appealing and most of what was listed doesn't entice me. This is largely the reason I've never really bothered using my brother's old PS3 until now. Maybe I'll discover what they're like some day, but I can't pretend to be in any great rush to find out :red:

The Uncharted series is one I'm sure I would like to play so when the time comes to invest in a new game, I'm sure Drake's Fortune will be in my thoughts :grin:

Of everything in the list, tell me you've at least played Portal....

..um....... :shakehead

Don't bother with Drake's fortune, if you're unsure about the games, play the best entries. It cuts out time and money.

Don't bother with Drake's fortune, if you're unsure about the games, play the best entries. It cuts out time and money.

Will I miss anything by not playing through the first game..? Is it particularly bad or anything?

It's a great game, I loved the characters; played it a few months back and need to move on to the second soon. Considering it can be found for under £10, and can probably be traded in for £5 or so, I think it's well worth playing.

I just watched a review on GameTrailers for Drake's Fortune and it looks decent enough, particularly the Prince of Persia style platforming as I really enjoyed The Sands of Time :smile:

I'll watch plenty of footage of other games you guys have recommended over the coming weeks so thank you all for your input so far :hehe:

The PS3 has been my 'go to' console for the last week or so now, something I never really imagined being the case over the last few years..

Best order to play the Uncharted series is 2,1,3 imo.

It's understandable being a little cautious after being recommended new IPs that you've never experienced of but there's been some seriously good games come out this gen on PS3 and multiplatform that you're so lucky to be in this position and have so much choice.

Sign in to follow this