NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
nekunando

Late to the PS3 Party!

I'll just say now that you shouldn't get excited about the platforming in Uncharted or compare it to PoP's. Platforming in Uncharted is used more as a glue to tie the game together and control the pacing - it's never challenging. The camera angles when you're performing leaps serve up some sweet vistas though.

Edited by dwarf

Wouldn't you be disappointed playing Uncharted 1 after 2?

I certainly wasn't :) I played Uncharted 2 first buying it on a whim in a sale. Got wowed by it, hooked on the multiplayer. Then got Uncharted 1 to see the games roots and how it all began. There are also 1 or 2 elements in the original which is better than the second.

..um....... :shakehead

I worry that you've seen the PS3 and 360 as HD FPS churning machines incapable of producing any Nintendo-esque magic over the last 5 years. It just ain't true.

If you really have not experienced any non Wii/DS titles over the last generation then I will make my list much more succinct. Here's 8 amazing games that I'm sure will knock your socks off

Portal (in Orange Box)

Braid

Fallout 3

Dark Souls

Uncharted 2

Limbo

Bioshock

Mirror's Edge

That last one is there just because it's the last big chance EA took, has its flaws but is also really unique and can be grabbed for < £5.

I also had Bastion on this list but now I've looked and don't think that's on the PS3? Whut.

If you like RPGs, add Mass Effect Trilogy, Skyrim and Ni No Kuni to the list.

Edited by Shorty

Mirror's Edge

I actually cleared that when I had the XBOX 360 in 2010.. and I liked it :smile: I may pick it up again on PS3..

I worry that you've seen the PS3 and 360 as HD FPS churning machines incapable of producing any Nintendo-esque magic over the last 5 years. It just ain't true.

If you really have not experienced any non Wii/DS titles over the last generation then I will make my list much more succinct. Here's 8 amazing games that I'm sure will knock your socks off

Portal (in Orange Box)

Braid

Fallout 3

Dark Souls

Uncharted 2

Limbo

Bioshock

If you like RPGs, add Mass Effect Trilogy, Skyrim and Ni No Kuni to the list.

Portal, Fallout 3, Dark Souls, Mass Effect and Skyrim look SO unappealing to me, it's not even funny.. I'm convinced they're just not for me at all. Any time I watch a video, I feel nothing at all. No desire. No intrigue. The only way to confirm those feelings would be to actually play the games, but considering how undesirable they appear to me personally, I can't see me spending money on them just to give them a go :hmm:

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Heavy Rain, Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition, Mirror's Edge, L.A. Noire and The Last of Us are probably where I see my PS3 collection progressing over the coming months..

L.A. Noire

Forgettable plot, uninteresting characters, no decent gameplay, pointless driving, very high quality faces on low quality bodies, a main character you'll probably hate, and a conversation system that doesn't work as the choices are not marked very well.

I have absolutely no idea how it got such high reviews.

Still, other choices are good. Even if you're skipping the best games of this generation (Portal 1/2, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Mass Effect Trilogy and Skyrim).

Heavy Rain and Red Dead Redemption were the two that made my list a complete 10 but didn't make the cut :heh: They're both fantastic games, I just didn't think they would have that wow factor.

Seems like where you're going wrong is watching videos :/ They can never really capture what it's like to be playing the game.

Do you have any good 3DS games I'll probably not have bothered with? Perhaps you could lend me something for the 3DS, and I'll lend you Orange box :p

You really can't judge Portal on videos. It's just so much fun to play, and the humour is brilliant! Its sequel is bloody good too. Download a demo of it on your PC/Mac with Steam and give it a go. It really is worth it.

Still, other choices are good. Even if you're skipping the best games of this generation (Portal 1/2, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Mass Effect Trilogy and Skyrim).

I'm pretty sure I've already played the best games this generation in Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 ;)

Seems like where you're going wrong is watching videos :/ They can never really capture what it's like to be playing the game.

A completely fair point.. but at the same time, I'm not sure if I've ever actually played and enjoyed a game I didn't think I'd like. As for Portal, I remember seeing some footage of the second and finding the voice of Steve Merchant and the 'humour' irritating :hmm:

Do you have any good 3DS games I'll probably not have bothered with? Perhaps you could lend me something for the 3DS, and I'll lend you Orange box :p

On 3DS, I own Kid Icarus: Uprising, Mario Kart 7, Mario Tennis Open, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D, New Super Mario Bros 2, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Pilotwings Resort, Resident Evil: Revelations, Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Treasure, Ridge Racer 3D, Starfox 64 3D, Super Mario 3D Land, Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D :smile:

I'm pretty sure I've already played the best games this generation in Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 ;)

They're good games (well the first, haven't played the second), but I don't think they'd even make my top 20.

They're good games (well the first, haven't played the second), but I don't think they'd even make my top 20.

We clearly enjoy different games then :heh: They certainly make my Top 20 :yay:

Still, you should at least give Portal 1 a try. No Steve Merchant in that.

Then you'll love it, get the second and Steve Merchant won't bother you (although Wheatley is awesome).

Portal, Fallout 3, Dark Souls, Mass Effect and Skyrim look SO unappealing to me, it's not even funny.. I'm convinced they're just not for me at all. Any time I watch a video, I feel nothing at all. No desire. No intrigue. The only way to confirm those feelings would be to actually play the games, but considering how undesirable they appear to me personally, I can't see me spending money on them just to give them a go :hmm:

I completely agree with you dude except for the Mass Effect series. Really loved them but I've tried Fallout 3/Skyrim and just didn't get along with it. It doesn't look appealing (to me) and having tried to get on with it, it wasn't happening!

Anyways as a newly recent user of the PS3, I've been playing Ni No Kuni alot. 43 hours in so far and its getting better and better. If you like JRPGs then this is an essential purchase.

Funny how you lot mentioned MGS4 because I bought myself a copy of it this afternoon! Being a long time MGS fan (and 360 owner) makes me very excited about this purchase. I've played 2 hours of it so far, and yep, it's amazing. I wonder if it can beat one of my fave games ever MGS3...

Anyways, having these 2 titles on the go means that my gaming life is very fulfilling at the moment!

I completely agree with you dude..

Nobody ever agrees with me :eek: It's nice to finally have someone who understa............

..except for the Mass Effect series.

..shame! We could have been friends, Dr. Badboon :heh:

Don't knock it til you've tried it is really not a concept you're fond of eh?

Don't knock it til you've tried it is really not a concept you're fond of eh?

I'm not at all fond of Sci-Fi..

I'm not much of an RPG nut..

Story has never been a huge motivator for me in games..

I can't see
anything
in it I like the look of..

I'm sure there's a great game series in there for certain people, but it's not for me and I don't think I need to play it to be convinced of that.. but we'll probably never know ::shrug:

I can't see
anything
in it I like the look of..

You can have lesbian sex with a blue alien.

I'm sure there's a great game series in there for certain people, but it's not for me and I don't think I need to play it to be convinced of that.. but we'll probably never know ::shrug:

Yknow, I can understand this. For years, people have been telling me to try out the Super Mario Galaxy games. But truth is, I just don't like children's games. I'm not really a platformer nut, either. I haven't played them, but I'm sure I wouldn't like them. From the videos.

Yknow, I can understand this. For years, people have been telling me to try out the Super Mario Galaxy games. But truth is, I just don't like children's games. I'm not really a platformer nut, either. I haven't played them, but I'm sure I wouldn't like them. From the videos.

You should play Super Mario Galaxy.

...I should finish Super Mario Galaxy.

I'm not gonna go out of my way to spend money on a game that I don't think I'll like. It's not like I'm in desperate need of a new game and that Mass Effect is the only choice I've got. There's plenty of other things that I think look much more appealing so I'd rather take my chances with those instead.

I'm now in the mood to play Super Mario Galaxy 2 again..

Mass Effect, whilst an outstanding series, isn't for everyone - and the first is showing its age. I'm not trying to convince you that its a must have title.

Portal on the other hand......

You haven't played it anyway...? Kids game...? I think...and hope... You're joking!

Mario galaxy 1+2 aren't just the best games last gen, they're the best games of all time :)

As for ps3. Portal is great fun Nando and only takes a few hours. As for games you'll like... Motostorm rc? Wipeout? Hustle kings if you like pool, great online! Dead space. Journey. Walking dead.

Mario galaxy 1+2 aren't just the best games last gen, they're the best games of all time :)

They don't come close to capturing the magic of Super Mario 64.

That's really an unfair comparison since you will never be able to see Super Mario Galaxy through the same haze of nostalgia.

Also, Shorty was being sarcastic. :blank:

I think you're shooting yourself in teh foot @/nando/ by basically entering a whole new market of games and just refusing to give a bunch of AAA games a chance. If I purchased a wii tomorrow I'd expect a list of games that wouldn't appeal to me (otherwise I'd've bought a console already, eh?), but I'd also expect to find many a surprise in actually trying the suggestions. Why so afraid of finding you actually do like something?

Sign in to follow this