NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

So is this the confirmed box style for the Switch?

6696229_R_Z001A?fmt=pjpg&wid=1536&hei=1382

Yep, that's the European box art.

Yup. Don't know the dimensions but I'm assuming they're PSP sized just because they kind of look like it.

Yup. Don't know the dimensions but I'm assuming they're PSP sized just because they kind of look like it.

If I recall, we saw the Breath of the Wild Switch case during the Treehouse Livestream, and that was rather thin, so PSP-sized seems to be the case.

Pfft, typical Nintendo stealing from Sony again!

Yep, that's the European box art.

Cute. Reminds me of the Japanese GC cases.

Couldn't find a still from the Treehouse Livestream, but here they are in comparison to Wii U cases:

qNekBAe0xsriW_IWKrfqvX3PD07CDh6jbQFicKTM234.jpg

Couldn't find a still from the Treehouse Livestream, but here they are in comparison to Wii U cases:

qNekBAe0xsriW_IWKrfqvX3PD07CDh6jbQFicKTM234.jpg

Still feels like a bit of a waste of plastic really. Im sure 3DS sized cases would have been enough.

Still can't believe how ugly our Zelda box is compared to the (glorious) US one.

Still can't believe how ugly our Zelda box is compared to the (glorious) US one.

I know, right?!

I would have been tempted to import the US Master Edition, but I'd rather play the game on launch day than having to wait any longer than we already have to! :D

Still feels like a bit of a waste of plastic really. Im sure 3DS sized cases would have been enough.

Or Vita cases. Vita cases are awesome.

If you dart your eyes between Mario on Kart, Tennis and Paper you've got a little jump animation going on.

I have a feeling that those placeholder boxes on display are slightly taller.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSQ5sSsyt8w7wMS4AQgWyL0QbuxPyCOxavpwg7iHDswok39Daz

I'm hoping the above comparison image is accurate.

I have a feeling that those placeholder boxes on display are slightly taller.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSQ5sSsyt8w7wMS4AQgWyL0QbuxPyCOxavpwg7iHDswok39Daz

I'm hoping the above comparison image is accurate.

Yeah, thought I edited my post to mention that but it doesn't seem like I did. Whoops.

Comparing it to the box presented during the Livestream, I'd say that the box art (and height of the box) cuts off in the above image directly above the Switch logo; I think your comparison in size reflects that quite well, SCG!

Man, all of this art is absolutely mesmerising. The colour palette, tones, shadowing...it's great, and absolutely makes me feel like this game could easily pass for a Ghibli project - which by all means means that I love it and want it now.

31437425594_24ffebea98_k.jpg

As for this particular character, it does make the question of timeline an even more perplexing one. My first notion is to go with this game being set after Wind Waker in the Adult Era timeline, simply because it would absolutely make sense for the Zora to further evolve into other variants; likewise, if this is set before Ocarina of Time, it could be the case that this variant was wiped out by the lighter variants we see in that game. Or, perhaps, it simply has something to do with the water environment, like how we get different colours of the same fish in different climates of water?

31437424994_1ed559d74d_k.jpg

Every part of me wants to say that this is Darunia (or, adversely, his ancestor who used the megaton hammer against Volvagia), but it's probably a new character. Shame...I wanted to see him dance :yay:

31437424134_429add797b_k.jpg

I really like how Zelda looks in this game, and how she seems very characteristic - in the above image, at least - of the modern day heroine we've seen revived recently in blockbuster films and TV shows; as a result - even though you'd think it would make sense considering how much Sheikah focus we have in this game - I don't think we'll get to see Sheik in this game.

31902430350_ea3e43d281_k.jpg

Gosh darn it this Master Edition keeps coming back to haunt me. The Americans get the best Edition of the game AND the best box art. As I was saying before, the comparisons to Ghibli seem very fair thus far, and the art on the back of the box seems to drive this home. I can absolutely see some Princess Mononoke when looking at those images, and particularly the one with Link taking aim at a wild boar.

Edited by Julius Caesar

I can't decide who I admire more, the EAD game designers or the artists who come out with such incredible work. :love:

I can't decide who I admire more, the EAD game designers or the artists who come out with such incredible work. :love:

Exactly! Looking at those images and then the game models, when compared to other projects at least, you could easily get away with saying that the art is based on the models or vice versa, they're that well realised!

Can anyone recommend the cheapest place to order the Special Edition from? Is there a special edition of the Wii U version?

One thing I would say is that I wish the colours in the game itself were as vibrant and saturated as on the back of the box. The game seems a bit too misty for my liking but who knows how it'll look when actually playing.

Have to agree I really like the way Zelda looks in this game. I didn't like the Skyward Sword version at all.

Man, all of this art is absolutely mesmerising. The colour palette, tones, shadowing...it's great, and absolutely makes me feel like this game could easily pass for a Ghibli project - which by all means means that I love it and want it now.

I have always loved how much work Nintendo put into the art around some of their games. The joys of little pictures etc in instruction manuals as a kid, or indeed scattered throughout Prima guides - I still do this day recall the Oracle/Seasons guide and a lot of the realisations of the characters not limited to the game's graphics/approach etc. I was hoping for a bit more of it over the ages in Hyrule Historia, but I do recall General Gaming having a thread about another art book out at some point. Very tempted by it, especially if it's gonna have more of stuff like this!

Oh lord the back of that box is awful :heh:

To each their own, I like it a lot

I have always loved how much work Nintendo put into the art around some of their games. The joys of little pictures etc in instruction manuals as a kid, or indeed scattered throughout Prima guides - I still do this day recall the Oracle/Seasons guide and a lot of the realisations of the characters not limited to the game's graphics/approach etc. I was hoping for a bit more of it over the ages in Hyrule Historia, but I do recall General Gaming having a thread about another art book out at some point. Very tempted by it, especially if it's gonna have more of stuff like this!

Yeah, I still need to pick up Hyrule Historia myself, need to add that to my list of things to do pre-BOTW! As for guides, I've heard and seen nothing but great things about Prima's Nintendo guides, so I think I'll definitely have to try to pick that up too!

Also, is this the book you're referring to? The Art and Artifacts book?

zeldacover.jpg

Seems like it has a neat limited edition too :P

Legend%2Bof%2BZelda%2BArt%2Band%2BArtifacts%2BLE.jpg

EDIT: the game's price has already dropped down from RRP (though I question that it is an RRP at all at this point) of £59.99 to £49.99 on Amazon. Hopefully the first of a few drops in the next six weeks! :D

Edited by Julius Caesar