NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Regardless of the build, it goes without saying that the Switch version will look better than the U - whats there to argue about?

We at least know the Switch version will have "superior environmental sound".

Edited by King_V

The Switch version does look a lot better... which makes it even more surprising when people doubt the benefit of extra processing power. :rolleyes: Not specifically the difference between Wii U and Switch, just the general "power doesn't matter" narrative we've had since Nintendo made the Wii.

About what version is better. Does anyone really care?

I think for people looking forward to this game that own a Wii U but will be buying a Switch at launch its worth knowing which version is better, even if its more then likely to be a slight difference at best.

I read in one of the many interviews with Eiji Aonuma that the Switch version loads slightly faster, which was to be expected:

Aonuma: Actually from a gameplay perspective, it is the same experience on both platforms.

One small difference is that the loading times on Nintendo Switch are slightly faster. That really stems from the media that the game is on - on Wii U it loads from a disc, whereas on Nintendo Switch it's on a Game Card, so it's a result from that.

Makes me wonder if the digital version on Wii U will load faster then the disc version though.

Edited by Helmsly

I read in one of the many interviews Eiji Aonuma the the Switch version loads slightly faster, which was to be expected

If I recall correctly, some comparisons between the Wii U (at E3 2016) and Switch at the NY event had the former clocking in at 29 second load times compared to the Switch's 13.

Yes, they may have improved the Wii U version's performance since, but let's not forget that it's mainly the card-over-disk strategy that gives the Switch the edge here. And that's quite a large edge.

But to be fair, the Wii U version looks - and will perform - great; if I had a Wii U to begin with, then I'd probably be waiting to Switch later on in the year.

Yes, they may have improved the Wii U version's performance since, but let's not forget that it's mainly the card-over-disk strategy that gives the Switch the edge here. And that's quite a large edge.

The difference due to that should be fairly small due to the 3GB installation (as well as the digital version).

if I had a Wii U to begin with, then I'd probably be waiting to Switch later on in the year.

Yeah I think the Wii U version looks fine and it's the version I'll be getting, as the Switch doesn't seem particular enticing to me right now.

Shame that we won't be able to go for Japanese audio with English subtitles, I think it would enhance the experience if the characters we all speaking a foreign language. They should have gone all out and made it all Hylian.

Like it or lump it, you're quite possibly going to be called Link whether you wish it or not;

http://www.zeldainformer.com/the-hero-is-explicitly-called-link-in-breath-of-the-wild-no-name-change-possible/

No big deal for me personally as I usually name my playthroughs Link - but even if I didn't I don't know if it's a thing that would bother me too much really now. Another sign of new directions, I guess!

The difference due to that should be fairly small due to the 3GB installation (as well as the digital version).

That may well be true, but until we get further confirmation (whether from Nintendo or ourselves playing) on this, the Switch should run loading times better. Since E3, I'll be surprised if they've done too much to clean up the Wii U version, unless they went the route of having a separate team for enhancing it? Which I wouldn't at all put past Nintendo :P

Like it or lump it, you're quite possibly going to be called Link whether you wish it or not;

http://www.zeldainformer.com/the-hero-is-explicitly-called-link-in-breath-of-the-wild-no-name-change-possible/

No big deal for me personally as I usually name my playthroughs Link - but even if I didn't I don't know if it's a thing that would bother me too much really now. Another sign of new directions, I guess!

This is definitely a good thing considering that the game will have voice acting. So many games have been ruined by being unable to use the characters' names in important scenes just for the sake of letting the player name them what they want...

This is definitely a good thing considering that the game will have voice acting. So many games have been ruined by being unable to use the characters' names in important scenes just for the sake of letting the player name them what they want...

Uhhhh... You probably shouldn't play Dragon Quest 8 then...

Mild spoilers about the quantity of sidequests in the game...

120 shrine mini-dungeons (!), 900 (!!!!) Korok seed puzzles, and 76 side quests. "NOT including optional challenges, mini games, unlockables, easter eggs and more"

Also I may pick up that book just for the cover art alone.

The Collector's and Standard Editions of the guide are now available for pre-order on Amazon UK. Going to spoiler tag the CE's bonuses, as it includes mild spoilers for the exact number of shrines, side quests, etc.

Premium hardcover, large-size map poster and dedicated 16-page retrospective celebrating thirty years of Zelda games.

AT-A-GLANCE WALKTHROUGHS: Annotated maps and screenshots show you the way through every quest and dungeon.

UTTERLY COMPREHENSIVE: 120 Shrine mini-dungeons, 900 Korok seed puzzles, 76 side quests all mapped out and ready for you to discover and complete! Also includes optional challenges, mini-games, unlockables, Easter eggs, and more.

PUZZLE MASTER: Every single puzzle and riddle unraveled with clear, visual solutions.

EXPERT COMBAT STRATEGY: Practical, reproducible tactics to crush your enemies, even the toughest bosses.

COMPREHENSIVE REFERENCE: Exhaustive appraisals of all items and monsters including key parameters that are hidden in the game.

EXTRA LARGE MAP POSTER: covering the entire game world

QUALITY CONTROL: carefully designed to avoid unnecessary story spoilers.

Also, a better look at the map shown during the Treehouse Livestream:

the_legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_map-1.jpg

Still waiting for the Master Edition...probably end up being a GAME exclusive :/

Why on earth are people intent on spoiling themselves on games they have yet to play!?

The above doesn't really tell you much though. We knew the amount of shrines in the game, and the rest is meh. Trust me I'm going to avoid as many spoilers as I can before release, I just didn't really consider this very spoilery, that's all.

The above doesn't really tell you much though. We knew the amount of shrines in the game, and the rest is meh. Trust me I'm going to avoid as many spoilers as I can before release, I just didn't really consider this very spoilery, that's all.

Agreed. The real spoiler is that Zelda is a Bokoblin :

But anywho, seriously: I think the Guardian amiibo will unlock a "Hard" difficulty and that, perhaps, the Bokoblin amiibo could unlock an "Easy" difficulty.

But anywho, seriously: I think the Guardian amiibo will unlock a "Hard" difficulty and that, perhaps, the Bokoblin amiibo could unlock an "Easy" difficulty.

God I hope not. That sounds terrible.

God I hope not. That sounds terrible.

The only reason I mention it as a possibility is that it's like something we've seen before from them: the Ganondorf amiibo being used in TP Wii U to make the game much harder.

It's not like we're getting a Bokoblin or Guardian compatriot (or, rather, I doubt it and hope not).

The only reason I mention it as a possibility is that it's like something we've seen before from them: the Ganondorf amiibo being used in TP Wii U to make the game much harder.

It's not like we're getting a Bokoblin or Guardian compatriot (or, rather, I doubt it and hope not).

I dont particularly like having a hard mode hidden behind an amiibo paywall but the idea of an easy mode in one is pretty disgusting. Basically punishing someone for struggling with a game and making them pay out to make it easier.

Thankfully its only a theory of course and it better stay that way!

Why on earth are people intent on spoiling themselves on games they have yet to play!?

I actually made a thread asking that very question!

Also, a better look at the map shown during the Treehouse Livestream:

the_legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_map-1.jpg

So that map.. the edges... I'm wondering what happens if you attempt walking off the edge? an invisible wall? I know the map is huge, but I hope the edgesare cut off from exploration in a way that is convincing.

"Return to the battlefield!!" --> Game Over.

Or there will just be some mountains or ocean in the way.

So that map.. the edges... I'm wondering what happens if you attempt walking off the edge? an invisible wall? I know the map is huge, but I hope the edgesare cut off from exploration in a way that is convincing.

Fingers crossed we don't suddenly just fall off the map and die. That would be a pain...

Also, let's be speculative: how does everyone think this game will end?

Also, let's be speculative: how does everyone think this game will end?

Credits followed by the words "The End". :geek: