NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Am I the only one who hates the voice acting? It just sounds so out of place, especially that Goron.

I'm actually really pleased to hear it runs best undocked. That's how I intend to play the Switch in general - I love a handheld.

Giant Bomb were saying yesterday they noticed more pop-in in the background when playing it undocked.

Edited by Happenstance

So, not sure which points have been made or not, so I'll just give my takeaway from the latest trailer:

-Voice acting sounds pretty good in Japanese. The English one, not as much, but the trailer was edited to bring out the strengths of the Japanese voice, so I'll give it some slack;

-Calamity Ganon sounds/looks more like an amorphous abomination than an actual character. Pretty intriguing, and somewhat reminiscent of Nightmare and Bellum;

-Gorons (white), Zoras (red), Gerudos (for the first time since the N64!), Koroks and Ritos (!). We're definitely not lacking in character/race/NPC variety;

(I kinda want to see Tokays and Anoukis in this style, too)

-Zelda finally revealed :bouncy: She's dressed just like Link, and seems like she'll undergo a nice character arc, likely revolving about losing her Kingdom. So excited for my favourite fictional princess;

-Between the King of Hyrule being here, and the existence of Koroks and Ritos, I'm thinking the story might indeed be connected to Wind Waker in some form. It's making me more excited than it should.

So pumped. Since I skipped this generation, I'm very tempted to get a Switch earlier than the inevitable price cut.

I'm sure it was confirmed as 3/3 with Switch version?? Yet as I say that I can't recall how/why I think that. Sure it was in the reveal/trailer from the conference? OR have I and others just accepted it as implied? Retailers certainly seem to be saying 3/3.

I've just finished rewatching the conference. They dont show the Wii U logo at the end of the Zelda trailer during that but it is there in the standalone trailer.

Obviously it's the right thing t do, but it also would have been very easy of them to put back the Wii U release by a couple of weeks to sell more Switches, like they did with the Wii.

Obviously it's the right thing t do, but it also would have been very easy of them to put back the Wii U release by a couple of weeks to sell more Switches, like they did with the Wii.

Would a couple of weeks really force that many WiiU owners to spend an extra 300 quid? Or would they just wait a few weeks? We've waited years as it is!

Just got back from London, did manage to play a bit of Breath of the Wild. First impressions, it feels like a familiar Zelda game. However, the open world design and the ability to go wherever you want adds freshness to the series. I won't go into much more, however i'm looking forward to March 3rd now more than ever.

Still makes me wonder why Nintendo didn't bring this at EGX last year, it's basically the same demo as at E3. Just with Switch controls.

Would a couple of weeks really force that many WiiU owners to spend an extra 300 quid? Or would they just wait a few weeks? We've waited years as it is!

That'd do little more than disenfranchise the old school fans even further, I suspect. Would definitely put me off more, at least!

Funny how we were all worried there'd be no narrative and it would be like the NES game, but actually looks like the most story heavy of the series. Pleased to see it's not just the usual rescue the princess storyline (though I'm sure she'll need some kind of aid)

Erm...who was all of this we that were supposedly worried?! I certainly didn't think either of those things!

Yeah I think most of us were expecting narrative. Hell, Zelda is their biggest narrative-based franchise (that's currently active).

Erm...who was all of this we that were supposedly worried?! I certainly didn't think either of those things!

You, for one...

But I think you're on the wrong lines if you like the look of this game so far Ronnie. You want a great storyline? This game potentially doesn't even have one, depending on how you play, apparently. It isn't on a set path or line, it's your choice, your adventure.

"Depending on how you play it" was the point. Nintendo has said you can theoretically race right to the end straight away (forget their exact wording, but certainly sounded like you can go to the end boss from the plateau).

Not that there may not be a story, but the new open world structure means you can play the game through without experiencing it.

I mean...that seems pretty clear to me but ::shrug:

Considering that Nintendo tend to do a lot of graphical polishing towards the end of development, that comparison is rather pointless.

It's strange how (at least in that video) the inside looks better on WiiU, and the outside looks better on Switch.

Considering that Nintendo tend to do a lot of graphical polishing towards the end of development, that comparison is rather pointless.

Yeah I was watching that mostly thinking that the differences were probably just choices they made later on. Like maybe they released the Wii U footage and afterwards felt like the cave was too dark etc.

"Depending on how you play it" was the point. Nintendo has said you can theoretically race right to the end straight away (forget their exact wording, but certainly sounded like you can go to the end boss from the plateau).

Not that there may not be a story, but the new open world structure means you can play the game through without experiencing it.

I mean...that seems pretty clear to me but ::shrug:

I dunno, I did a pretty crazy thing of using the English language properly there to put across my meaning.

I'm not sure I understand how you totally got what I was trying to say! It's almost like I articulated myself and everything, and the fault is in your excellent and beyond average expectation reading comprehension!

Right then. Remember the dual sided parchment included in the Master Edition, revealed on Friday by Reggie during the Treehouse Livestream, which had a map on one side and lore on the other?

the_legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_master_edition_screencap_10_1280.jpg

It turns out that there was a bunch of Sheikah runes on the side containing the lore, and so, YouTuber Zeltik and some of his viewers came together to translate it to Japanese and then to English. Spoilers ahead, obviously, so I'm going to spoiler-tag this thing; turn away now if you want to go into BotW completely lore-free!

Right then. Remember the dual sided parchment included in the Master Edition, revealed on Friday by Reggie during the Treehouse Livestream, which had a map on one side and lore on the other?

the_legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_master_edition_screencap_10_1280.jpg

It turns out that there was a bunch of Sheikah runes on the side containing the lore, and so, YouTuber Zeltik and some of his viewers came together to translate it to Japanese and then to English. Spoilers ahead, obviously, so I'm going to spoiler-tag this thing; turn away now if you want to go into BotW completely lore-free!

Damn those wizards! NO way am I going to watch that vid.....:weep: No way.

The Japanese Breath of the Wild site mentions that a 3GB install is required for the physical Wii U version.

The outside looks fantastic on Switch

MSEInB.jpg

To be fair, the WiiU pic is from E3 last year, it may well have come a way since then.

I'd imagine the two versions will be closer than people think.