NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

That stat is just crazy.
Especially when you really think about the PS2 games' sales...1.5 billion physical games have been sold back then :o 

The PS2 was an absolute monster when it came to sales figures. I'm still expecting the Switch to eventually dethrone it though. 

• Like 2

No idea why and no idea if it's available anywhere else, but Valkyria Revolution is currently free on the PSN store in Germany.
Edit: All the DLC is free, as well.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, drahkon said:

No idea why and no idea if it's available anywhere else, but Valkyria Revolution is currently free on the PSN store in Germany.
Edit: All the DLC is free, as well.

Nice. I have the game on the shelf but I’ll certainly grab the DLC for whenever I get around to playing the main game.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I have the game on the shelf but I’ll certainly grab the DLC for whenever I get around to playing the main game.

Can't check it myself, but you might be too late...

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Can't check it myself, but you might be too late...

The DLC is still there, it’s just the main game that got taken down but I already own it. 

• Like 1

Looks like Hades will be arriving on PS platforms soon. The game has been rated for the PS4 over in Korea.

unknown.png?width=1441&height=323

• Like 1

"Now upgrade funny"

Anyways, good news. Will definitely double dip eventually.

Anybody here played Pillars of Eternity on PS4 (or PS5)?
I've been interested in it for quite a while now. I could afford it right now as it's on sale for 10 bucks.

I hear there are some pretty long loading times and occasional crashes. I could deal with those if the game is great, though.

Looks like GT7 and the next God of War are also coming to PS4.

Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we’ll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them.

Sony continue to give me little reason to upgrade to the PS5. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Looks like GT7 and the next God of War are also coming to PS4.

Sony continue to give me little reason to upgrade to the PS5. 

Yeah, unfortunately it delays the PS5 kicking into high gear. For God of War in particular it makes me wonder if they're having to keep the Bifrost to travel between realms? If I'm remembering right those paths were something they needed to facilitate the limitations of developing for the PS4 and we're probably planning a different and faster method originally, so I guess like flying mounts in Forbidden West, it's probably not happening this time around? 

For God of War and Horizon I know Hulst mentioned in the Q&A that they're being affected by limited access to performance capture studios and the cast, and the PS5 is straggling well behind their initial estimates due to the impacts of COVID on production.

Purely from a business perspective, taking out the actual impacts on the creative process which may result in a delay, I think it's a matter of them balancing the books (or more realistically boosting their profits). If they were internally forecasting some 25 - 30 million PS5's to be in the wild for the launch of the next God of War, Gran Turismo, etc., and were forecasting potential unit sales for each game from that, I think they probably realised that they had to do it. 

I don't think Sony ever said the next God of War would be exclusive, but I'm pretty sure they did say that GT7 would be (even looking at the game's page on the official site it only mentions the PS5), so now my question is whether or not Final Fantasy XVI will still remain a PS5 exclusive, because I have to imagine those conversations are happening with Square Enix behind the scenes. 

Such a weird time. I know we were expecting a transitional period anyways, but still! 

• Thanks 1

Nice for the people who haven't been able to get a PS5 to still be able to play them. With this generation switch looking to go on longer with cross gen games I'm starting to look at it more like PC games in that yes you'll still be able to play it on older stuff but it'll just look and run better on the new console. That in itself is enough of a reason for me to upgrade.

• Like 1

Jim Ryan: We believe in generations

And I believe that Sony are filthy two-faced liars ;) 

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

And I believe that Sony are filthy two-faced liars ;) 

Let’s not forget what else he said in the same interview...

“We have always felt that we had a responsibility to serve that [PS4] community for several years after the launch of PS5 and that it represented a huge business opportunity for us,” 

Which is exactly what they are doing here. 

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Let’s not forget what else he said in the same interview...

They've definitely done some deliberate false advertising here...

c1ed5faf628bb1370eca7bc17894d95dc0d501c8

Literally nothing in this image is truthful

They definitely sold some cheeky early PS5s off the back of misrepresentation.  They let Microsoft take the press hit for the sin of being honest about their strategy.  While Microsoft got raked over the coals for promoting crossgen support, Sony got away with not only doing the exact same thing; but with blatantly lying about it too.

Edited by Dcubed

Just now, Dcubed said:

They've definitely done some deliberate false advertising here...

c1ed5faf628bb1370eca7bc17894d95dc0d501c8

Literally nothing in this image is truthful

Is it no longer called Gran Turismo 7? :p 

Totally agree they’ve pulled the wool over everyone’s eyes with GT. However, Jim has said enough to give himself wiggle room, just like every other PR person in the industry. Sony released Demon’s Souls, Returnal, Destruction AllStars and Ratchet and Clank, all of which are PS5 exclusives, which supports the generations line. They then also released cross gen games which goes with what he said about supporting the PS4.

tumblr_od97iwtgfb1r1rmzqo3_r2_250.gif

• Thanks 1

I see you edited your post.

38 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

They let Microsoft take the press hit for the sin of being honest about their strategy.  While Microsoft got raked over the coals for promoting crossgen support, Sony got away with not only doing the exact same thing; but with blatantly lying about it too.

They haven’t done the same thing though. Again, they’ve released 4 exclusive games on the platform AND had crossgen games, which is exactly what Jim said they were doing. Don’t get me wrong, they played the PR game very well by playing off of what MS said, just like they did during the PS4 launch, but he didn’t lie, more like a lack of clarity, hence the Kenobi gif. :D 

This is why I dislike PR. Statements are made ambiguous which then leads to outrage like we’ve seen on the internet this evening. Reggie was the master of this type of spin and it’s a big reason why I disliked him, despite him only doing his job. It reminds of the Tomb Raider exclusive deal that was announced by MS a few years back. Statements were ambiguous and nobody had a clue if it was fully exclusive or not. This practice has been carried on today, with the word exclusive pretty much losing all meaning.

Just to be clear, I don’t like this cross generation strategy at all. Why launch a console if you aren’t going to get the most out of it by making games that are tailored for it? These consoles could have launched at the end of this year and I don’t think anyone would have been bothered by the wait. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yup. Sony have always supported previous gen long into the next gen, which I think is brilliant. Anyone that's surprised by this clearly hasn't been paying attention (or more likely just looking for any excuse to have a dig at Sony, yet again).

Seriously, who cares if it comes to PS4 too? It means more people can play it and the PS5 version will still be the superior version.

13 hours ago, Dcubed said:

They let Microsoft take the press hit for the sin of being honest about their strategy.  While Microsoft got raked over the coals for promoting crossgen support, Sony got away with not only doing the exact same thing; but with blatantly lying about it too.

Microsoft also u-turned on their cross gen support plan by admitting that they don't really have an actual cross gen support plan.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/07/23/microsoft-xbox-one-xbox-series-x-games/

I had a browse of the PSN sale this morning and picked up a few games for my week off, most of which are indies. I nabbed...

• Ara Fell: Enhanced Edition
  • Solo: Island of the Heart
  • Nex Machina
  • Downwell
  • Fat Princess Adventures
  • Star Wars: Republic Commando
  • Steamworld Heist
  • The Adventure Pals

A couple of these can be played on the Vita, which will come in handy for when the footy is on. I could have spent a few more quid in the sale as there are still some more indie games I wouldn’t mind picking up but figured these should be enough to keep me busy during the week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:
  • Nex Machina
  • Downwell

giphy.gif

I might actually install Downwell on my PS5 and go for the Platinum. Only need one more trophy: beat the game on hard mode. I lost my PSVita save, 'cause I'm an idiot, but it's a great excuse to start from scratch. :D

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, drahkon said:

giphy.gif

I might actually install Downwell on my PS5 and go for the Platinum. Only need one more trophy: beat the game on hard mode. I lost my PSVita save, 'cause I'm an idiot, but it's a great excuse to start from scratch. :D

I’m dubious whether I’ll like it or not but I figured I’d give it a shot for a little under one fiddy.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I’m dubious whether I’ll like it or not but I figured I’d give it a shot for a little under one fiddy.

It's a rogue-lite and it's got procedural elements so...YOU'LL LOVE IT!

• Haha 1