NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

3 hours ago, Sheikah said:

I don't want to spoil too much but put simply, there is no combat whatsoever. Your goal is to learn and to explore and there is no game quite like it. It is an amazing game that I can't recommend enough - and a surprisingly large and open game given the small studio who made it. It was also Eurogamer's game of the year and won a bunch of awards - this isn't your average indie game.

Also the studio is headed by Masi Oka (Hiro Nakamura from Heores). So that's also very cool.

You should have led with that. :D 

The game doesn't sound like my kinda thing.

I see that Knights and Bikes, Guacamelee 2, Crossing Souls, Panzer Dragoon and a few others that I have my eye on are all on sale. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I see that Knights and Bikes, Guacamelee 2, Crossing Souls, Panzer Dragoon and a few others that I have my eye on are all on sale. 

I really wanted to get Panzer Dragoon: Remake on the Switch, of course I went for the Limited Run Games physical release, that was ordered on 27/03/2020, when the game was still Switch exclusive, in that time, the game is now available on the PS4 and being that it's now £13.39 on sale, as opposed to £22.49 on the Switch eShop, it's very tempting to just get it digitally on the PS4.

I've waited this long though, I might get it digitally on the PS4 anyway, but the physical Switch version should finally be released in a couple of weeks, though I'm betting that by the time it's really out, it'll probably be a PS Plus game. :p

Crypt of the Necrodancer is free on PSN for some reason. If you want it then best grab it quick in case this is a glitch/mistake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It’s been a while since I visited the forum but wanted to check in and just say (before the generation ends) that there are three stand out moments for me on PS4:

1. Witcher 3: everything about this game.

2. FFVII Remake: it is exactly what I wanted it to be. I’m hoping for some PS5 upgrade

3. Destiny. I absolutely loved this game when it was released. It was fantastic gaming with you all and I had so many fun and laugh out loud moments. I remember one particular late night/early morning session beating the final boss. Buzzing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's once again that time of year where I throw caution to the wind, kick off my shoes and get prepared for time off work over the festive season by buying a bunch of games. This year's sales have been pretty decent. I don't think I fully got through the batch that I bought last year! :blush: What? It's been a garbage year and this yearly spree always cheers me up. :) 

EoPnRtuXYAE43OZ?format=jpg&name=360x360EoPnRtXW4AEhWD5?format=jpg&name=360x360EoPnRtYW4AAET8b?format=jpg&name=360x360

Ys and Trails of Cold Steel

I love the JRPG genre but there are still a few series that I have yet to experience, two of which are Trails of... and Ys. I figured I would put that to rest and picked up Trails of Cold Steel, Ys Origins and Ys: Memories of Celceta. Cold Steel is now on its 4th installment so if I do end up enjoying the first game then I have plenty to catch up on.

Persona 5 Royal

Following on from the other JRPGs is Persona 5 Royal. The base game is one of the best JRPGs of this generation and I wanted to play through the expanded version just to see what is different. Plus, it gives me an excuse to play the game again.

Granblue Fantasy Versus

This is a beat-em up that looks absolutely gorgeous and one that I really wanted to pick up earlier in the year but it's release wasn't at a great time which has worked out well because it was less than half price.

Nioh 2

If you read the Gaming Diary Thread you would have seen that during September I went on a spree of playing challenging games. Playing through the likes of Sekiro and Dark Souls was a fantastic experience and i'm looking for more of the same with Nioh 2. I loved the first game so I can't see this being anything other than a winner.

Iron Man VR

This is another game I was happy to wait for until a price drop happened. It's been a while since I put on the old PSVR headset and this was always going to be the game to get me back into it.

Avengers

Yeah, I bought Avengers. Thing is, i'm a big Marvel fan and I wanted to see what the single player was like. This year I played through Anthem and I found it a really enjoyable experience. I'm hoping the same thing happens with Avengers where I play it outside of all the criticism and enjoy it for what it is.

Star Wars Squadrons

As a big SW fan I have been eager to see how this plays. I was disappointed to see that it wasn't a full on arcadey style Rogue Squadron type game but it reviewed very well and fans of the franchise seem to love it. Here's hoping that it leaves a better impression on me than what Fallen Order did.

The Last of Us Part II

I've been very reluctant to buy and play this. The first game was perfect and I was in the mindset that it didn't need a sequel. Plus, the realistic graphics mixed with the torture scenes and gore are a big turn off for me. I'm hoping I can adjust the gore settings on this much like I done in the original game.

Minecraft Dungeons

I've never been a fan of the gameplay of Minecraft but I quite like the characters and unique look of the game. I loved the Telltale games that featured this franchise and figured I would take a punt at a dungeon crawler that is set in the world of Minecraft.

Destroy All Humans

This is a game that Chris on Sacred Symbols loves and spoke highly of. I never got around to playing it when it was originally released on the PS2 and figured this would be a good chance to see what the franchise is all about. If I like it I could snap up the PS2 sequel which is currently on sale on the PS4 for a couple of quid.

Sakuna of Rice and Ruin

I've been in love with this game ever since the first trailer hit. I wanted to pick it up ASAP as I figured it would be hard to snap up later down the line. It has already sold out at various retailers and it's been quite a hit in Japan, with Marvelous running out of stock as they didn't expect it to be such a big hit. I have high hopes for this one.

Streets of Rage 4

Bought, played and loved the game when it was released earlier in the year. I wanted a physical copy of the game and decided to pick it up for the PS4 as my digital copy is on the Switch. I guess i'll see what @S.C.G was talking about in terms of the patch altering the final boss fight.

Dragon Ball Z Kakarot

Another game that was released at a bad time in the year and where waiting has paid off. I've heard the game is quite meaty, lasting over a good 50 hours or so if going for the platinum. Time to replay the various sagas in the DRBZ franchise for the hundredth time. 

Last but not least.

Yakuza 6

With me working my way through the Yakuza games, this needed to be on my list. I was lucky to find a sealed copy that wasn't a steelbook and also wasn't the greatest hits version! Does this answer the question that you asked in the Yakuza Collection thread, @RedShell :p 

What's crazy is that there are still a stupid amount of games that I want to pick up for this console. I could probably add another 10 games to the list, most of which were released just this year. This right here is why I have no real interest in any of the next generation consoles. The PS4 is very much alive and kicking...despite this thread being took off the sticky block. :cry:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The PS4 is very much alive and kicking...despite this thread being took off the sticky block. 

Hey hey, I'm still playing PS4 games, too.

But I'll post in the PS5 thread just because I can :p

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Ys

Heck yeah!

527FE9BEC8FEC085396004E2C3D6308A47C32277

(Neither of those use the bump system)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nekunando said:

The PS5 can wait, @Hero-of-Time!

Indeed it can.

27 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Hey hey, I'm still playing PS4 games, too.

But I'll post in the PS5 thread just because I can :p

What are you doing in this thread?If I can't post in the PS5 thread then you can't just waltz in here and start posting now that you've moved on from the PS4. Double standards is what this is. Shocking behavior.

• Haha 1

Just now, Ike said:

Heck yeah!

527FE9BEC8FEC085396004E2C3D6308A47C32277

I've no idea what's going on here but im intrigued. :D 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

What are you doing in this thread?If I can't post in the PS5 thread then you can't just waltz in here and start posting now that you've moved on from the PS4. Double standards is what this is. Shocking behavior.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've no idea what's going on here but im intrigued. :D 

In the older games, you attacked by running (or bumping) into the enemy. No attack button needed. Made combat very speedy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ike said:

In the older games, you attacked by running (or bumping) into the enemy. No attack button needed. Made combat very speedy.

This is why I could never get into those games. Didn't like that system.

10 hours ago, Ike said:

Which ones? :o And what mechanics do they use instead?

10 hours ago, drahkon said:

Which ones? :o And what mechanics do they use instead?

I was referring to Ys Origin and Memories of Celceta from H-o-T's post. Ys Origin's combat is still a bit simpler but you have an attack button with jump attacks. and learn a limited set of skills which are also used to boost your traversal.

Memories of Celceta builds in it a lot and you can learn a lot more skills, you can also dodge and block which if you time correctly gives you various bonuses. It uses the part system so you have 3 characters in your party (Sonic Heroes style) and you can switch between them to deal with enemies they are strong against which all the recent Ys games have been using. Not my favourite style to be honest.

They haven't used the bump system since the original Ys IV (Memories of Celceta is a remake of Ys IV).

Ys Origin has a demo on Steam if your interested, it's probably my favourite Ys game.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ike said:

Ys Origin has a demo on Steam if your interested, it's probably my favourite Ys game.

I don't do PC gaming. I could give the Vita version a go, though. But...too much to play :D

*leaves again so H-o-T doesn't get mad*

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I don't do PC gaming. I could give the Vita version a go, though. But...too much to play :D

*leaves again so H-o-T doesn't get mad*

tenor.gif?itemid=3462846

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2020 at 4:35 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

What's crazy is that there are still a stupid amount of games that I want to pick up for this console. I could probably add another 10 games to the list, most of which were released just this year. This right here is why I have no real interest in any of the next generation consoles.

It's ridiculous how many great PS4 games there are to play through, it feels very different to when the 360 & PS3 gen was coming to an end.

I can see one possible advantage for you getting a PS5 straight away though. I wonder how much time you would save on loading screens if you played all those games on PS5 rather than PS4?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Ike Ys IX demo is available to download on PSN.

Thanks, had no idea they were doing a demo.

On 04/02/2021 at 5:26 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

The email with my 2020 stats arrived today.

EtZd8L6XIAAwxUc?format=jpg&name=large

EtZemGbWQAY5tjI?format=jpg&name=medium

EtZeFWgXEAAawKL?format=jpg&name=medium

EtZdzuXXIAUAx1Q?format=jpg&name=large

EtZeO8uWQAMSPJc?format=jpg&name=small

75 hours on Anthem...5 quid well spent. :D 

Staggering numbers :eek:

Surprise! We just released the first game in the We Were Here series on PlayStation Store today for PS4, and it’s free to download for a limited time! The rest of the We Were Here series will also be coming to PlayStation 4 on February 23 (and of course all three games are playable on PS5 as well)! It’s a perfect opportunity to try out the game and see if you vibe with our brand of online co-op puzzle solving in a sinister castle. 

Source

Might be worth a look :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50971951302_48f8f03d4b_h.jpg?resize=1088,612&crop_strategy=smart&zoom=1

Hello again! The past 12 months haven’t been easy. And I think we’re all hopeful that we may be starting to see some flickers of light at the end of this long COVID-19 tunnel thanks to the tireless work of the medical community and people around the world.

In these historic times, the team at PlayStation wanted to thank the community by giving something back. These days, we could all use something to look forward to and another reason to stay safely socially distanced, so we are happy to be able to offer a free selection of great games and some entertainment offers.

[...]

This year’s Play at Home initiative is kicking off in March and extending through June. 

Starting March 1, 2021

• PlayStation and Insomniac Games will make Ratchet & Clank PS4 available for free download for a limited time through PlayStation Store from March 1 at 8pm PST / March 2 at 4am GMT / 5am CET to March 31, 2021 at 8pm PDT* / April 1 at 4am BST / 5am CEST.
  • Once you redeem the game, it will be yours to keep. This 2016 PS4 action-adventure hit from Insomniac Games revisits the origin stories of these beloved PlayStation heroes and features a great mix of outrageous combat and comedy.

Starting March 25, 2021

• Our friends at Funimation (a joint venture of Sony Pictures Entertainment and Aniplex of Japan) are kicking in a very special offer: extended access for new subscribers to Funimation or Wakanim in the countries they are available **. Funimation is an anime-focused subscription service and Wakanim is  Funimation’s European division. While there will be additional details to follow, this offer is only available to our community who sign up for and download the Funimation (in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand) or Wakanim apps (in most of Western and Northern Europe) starting on March 25 for a limited time. 

[...]

** FUNIMATION and WAKANIM – On top of the standard 14-day  trial, new users can get an additional 90 days . Unless you cancel your subscription before the end of the  period, your subscription will automatically roll into a paid-for, ongoing subscription with a recurring monthly fee. Age restrictions apply. More information to follow. 

via PlayStation.blog

:)

• Like 3