N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

That's really the sentiment I've been feeling about Nintendo as a whole, of late. Their output has been phenomenal, yet the games just aren't selling.

When Nintendo revealed DKCR:TF and the collective Internet world all groaned that it wasn't a Metroid game or new IP.... do you think had it been Metroid or a New IP we'd be having the same conversation on this thread about it bombing?

Make's me wonder if these Nintendo fans / gamers in general had got what they wanted and Retro were working on Metroid Prime U, or Nintendo IP New U or something, Would it still be bombing.

I'm sure the answer would be yes due to the ongoing lack of Console sales, but I makes you think that Nintendo can do no right here...

They take the safe bet on DKCR and it bombs (or is bombing at present, can still change) had they taken the gutsy listen to fans approach, would it still have bombed?

I'd say everything has been safe bar Wonderful 101 which was sent out to die with no advertising.

I wouldn't say their output has been phenomenal. Is Wii Party U phenomenal? Wii Sports U? Wii Fit U? NES Remix? Game & Wario?

Edited by Wii

When Nintendo revealed DKCR:TF and the collective Internet world all groaned that it wasn't a Metroid game or new IP.... do you think had it been Metroid or a New IP we'd be having the same conversation on this thread about it bombing?

Make's me wonder if these Nintendo fans / gamers in general had got what they wanted and Retro were working on Metroid Prime U, or Nintendo IP New U or something, Would it still be bombing.

I'm sure the answer would be yes due to the ongoing lack of Console sales, but I makes you think that Nintendo can do no right here...

They take the safe bet on DKCR and it bombs (or is bombing at present, can still change) had they taken the gutsy listen to fans approach, would it still have bombed?

Even moreso. Metroid games don't sell.

I wouldn't say their output has been phenomenal. Is Wii Party U phenomenal? Wii Sports U? Wii Fit U? NES Remix? Game & Wario?

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

Sort of

Just because specific games do not appeal to you does not mean they are of poor quality. Wii Party U is a very well made, and very fun game. Just because it doesn't have a narrative, isn't an adventure game and doesn't have realistic graphics does not mean it's not a decent enjoyable game.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

They probably would be moaning if it was MP too.

They need new IP to attract people. If MP3 didn't sell amazingly then you can't expect a MP4 to do well.

At least it (probably) wouldn't have motion controls though. Metroid Prime 3 was alright (I completed it), but you had to be an ardent fan to put up with the controls. I can understand a lot of Metroid fans not bothering with it.

I also think some people, myself included, grow tired of the whole trilogy mindset.

Prime for me was phenomenal, Prime 2 I gave up with, Prime 3 I didn't bother.

It can also be seen with people tiring of Gears and Halo as the trilogy goes on, and then a new Halo trilogy is announced for example, and I think right from the off with Halo 4 people are already feeling the fatigue. Same with God of War Ascension.

A Metroid 4 I hope would be it's own contained story, very different in tone to that of Prime.

That's really the sentiment I've been feeling about Nintendo as a whole, of late. Their output has been phenomenal, yet the games just aren't selling.

No doubt the games have been very good and reviewed extremley well but I think the platform is the problem.

The games should be selling more to the current install base but are not and I think a lot of people have just been turned off by the droughts, negative press, lack of 3rd party support and just an overall feeling of owning a console which you dont know where it will be in 2 years time.

I also think some people, myself included, grow tired of the whole trilogy mindset.

Prime for me was phenomenal, Prime 2 I gave up with, Prime 3 I didn't bother.

It can also be seen with people tiring of Gears and Halo as the trilogy goes on, and then a new Halo trilogy is announced for example, and I think right from the off with Halo 4 people are already feeling the fatigue. Same with God of War Ascension.

A Metroid 4 I hope would be it's own contained story, very different in tone to that of Prime.

Same.

Nintendo need to stop doing safe and same - they need to freshen it up with fresh and innovative titles. What's TF doing that's new? What would MP4 do that's new? They need to make new and push new - W101 was somewhat fresh but as stated it was sent out to die with very little promotional push; one thing about their established franchises that they appear to enjoy milking atm is that they don't need as much marketing as the brand's established there.

Same.

Nintendo need to stop doing safe and same - they need to freshen it up with fresh and innovative titles. What's TF doing that's new? What would MP4 do that's new?

For one thing, I'd like to see a whole new base engine for it, where you could switch between 1st- and 3rd-person any time you liked. One problem with Other M was that the 1st- and 3rd-person sections controlled completely differently, with no continuity between the way you fired missiles etc.

With Metroid Prime 4, all movement would be via the analogue stick, all missiles courtesy of the X button... and so on. I honestly think if the whole graphics engine and controls were impressive enough people would want more. Shame it couldn't have analogue triggers though.

I'm going to paraphrase Pachter on this one:

The software is always great, it's the hardware that is the problem.

The SNES was the last console that wasn't gimped in some way, and it won that generation in the end.

This is the first time where this has been so apparent. The GC failed but it wasn't like this. Since the internet happened I don't think I have seen a console deliver so many negative stories. It's been downhill from day 1 and I've not seen anything like it before.

This is the first time where this has been so apparent. The GC failed but it wasn't like this. Since the internet happened I don't think I have seen a console deliver so many negative stories. It's been downhill from day 1 and I've not seen anything like it before.

the internet is a funny thing. I had no idea how many Gamecubes sold back in the day, I just bought and played the games. There is so much doom and gloom on the internet about Wii U and sales are tragic thus far, but the Wii U for me is right there with their best consoles. I'm not sure about the whole game drought, I've got 20+ Wii U games and apart from Tank Tank Tank they are all premuim titles, and the 3rd party titles are the best versions a Nintendo console has seen for years. I don't think I had 20+ Gamecube games ever.

the internet is a funny thing. I had no idea how many Gamecubes sold back in the day, I just bought and played the games. There is so much doom and gloom on the internet about Wii U and sales are tragic thus far, but the Wii U for me is right there with their best consoles. I'm not sure about the whole game drought, I've got 20+ Wii U games and apart from Tank Tank Tank they are all premuim titles, and the 3rd party titles are the best versions a Nintendo console has seen for years. I don't think I had 20+ Gamecube games ever.

Just to be devil's advocate and flip it round - would the Wii U be doing even worse without the internet, where a lot of its 'publicity' for want of a better word has mostly been done by users?

When Nintendo themselves apologise for the drought I think it's for to say we have been starved for games. First half of last year was brutal and in 2014 we have had DK and we now don't get MK8 till end of May. A console in 2nd year shouldn't be suffering from such wide gaps in between software releases.

Remember DK was originally due out holiday 2013 and Nintendo only delayed this due to having nothing to else ready for early 2014.

Just to be devil's advocate and flip it round - would the Wii U be doing even worse without the internet, where a lot of its 'publicity' for want of a better word has mostly been done by users?

I think there's a lot of truth to this. Before now, people were simply ignoring it. I know this is only anecdotal evidence, but some of my workmates are now starting to become interested in the Wii U because of Mario Kart 8, saying they're definitely going to buy one for it. Part of me wonders if all the "Can Mario Kart save the Wii U?" articles have made people more aware of the game itself than anything else since it was revealed.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze came in at #4 in the Individual Format charts in the UK this week.

Not bad.

But placed ninth on multiple formats. I can't tell whether its high placement is due to being an incredibly slow time of year, or the likes of Fifa and Call of Duty are selling insane numbers each week. I can't wait for the general consumer to grow bored of the annual releases of the same fucking game.

But placed ninth on multiple formats. I can't tell whether its high placement is due to being an incredibly slow time of year, or the likes of Fifa and Call of Duty are selling insane numbers each week. I can't wait for the general consumer to grow bored of the annual releases of the same fucking game.

Well have a better idea once the splits come out to see what kind of number it sold. Still I was worried it would chart lower tbh so hopefully plenty wii u owners went and bought it.

Think of the glass as half full once in a while, my friend :p

Surely DK should have placed No.1 in the Nintendo chart?... what beat it?

It was #1 on the Wii U charts. The Individual Formats chart is where it lists all versions of a game separately, so rather than clumping every multiformat game together in one, it has each SKU separately. For example, in this chart, with The Lego Movie The Video Game:

Xbox 360: #1

Playstation 3: #3

3DS: #14

Playstation 4: #23

Wii U: #26

Xbox One: #33

Vita: Not on chart.

It was #1 on the Wii U charts. The Individual Formats chart is where it lists all versions of a game separately, so rather than clumping every multiformat game together in one, it has each SKU separately. For example, in this chart, with The Lego Movie The Video Game:

The Lego 3DS version got a real good bump during Half term. Charted @ 30 last week.

nice to see Lego on Wii U going toe to toe with PS4 & XB1 versions.