Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Wii U is a lost cause. It's all about keeping the 3DS afloat now.

I can't wholly deny nor admit that, I think it COULD be salvaged to better states that others, but ykno...something like focusing this killer title that will sell anyway and anywhere on the WiiU first could have been one of those positive things.

The 3DS is huge in Japan, it didn't need Smash first - the WiiU did. As Sheikah said, it's the idea of having it 'first' that's another value added to it. People would have paid that price - tbh some of us already have in buying our WiiUs.

The Wii U might be as good as dead but about a third of its owners are pretty much willing to purchase anything Nintendo put out, from Smash to Captain Toad to NES Remix.

They might not make a fortune off of the Wii U but they could easily break even and then some if they keep getting existing owners to purchase titles. It's worth remembering that titles like NES Remix, Mario Maker, Wind Waker HD, Captain Toad etc have incredibly small costs associated to them yet will will all sell beyond a million units.

The Wii U might be as good as dead but about a third of its owners are pretty much willing to purchase anything Nintendo put out, from Smash to Captain Toad to NES Remix.

They might not make a fortune off of the Wii U but they could easily break even and then some if they keep getting existing owners to purchase titles. It's worth remembering that titles like NES Remix, Mario Maker, Wind Waker HD, Captain Toad etc have incredibly small costs associated to them yet will will all sell beyond a million units.

So putting Smash Bros out after the 3DS version won't matter then as that audience will buy the games anyway.

I think it's fair to say there is no title which can reverse the long term position of the wii u and I think Nintendo know this hence getting out the 3DS version first.

So putting Smash Bros out after the 3DS version won't matter then as that audience will buy the games anyway.

I think it's fair to say there is no title which can reverse the long term position of the wii u and I think Nintendo know this hence getting out the 3DS version first.

A third of is not a whole. It also negates to account for the actual NEW WiiU owners it may well shoulda/woulda/coulda brought.

What if I put a hypothetical flipside - half of all smash fans are pretty much willing to purchase a new system just to play smash ;) ?

1 million sales in two days for 3DS confirms nintendo made the right decision!

argument done!

Hardly a fair comparison when...we can't compare it! 3DS in japan is fairly saturated, no? I'm thinking WiiU hardware would have benefitted more off of Smash than 3DS(given the general potential), and it should have been released there first.

I think especially more so in the west.

1 million sales in two days for 3DS confirms nintendo made the right decision!

argument done!

I don't get this argument.

Surely they want to sell the maximum number of copies they possibly can across all systems while also getting new console sales and Wii U customers (since extra income)?

To do that they should have released on Wii U first. A lot of people haven't bought the Wii U, but might have bought it if it was the only way to get Smash. Now instead people who already have a 3DS might buy it for that system and not bother shelling out for a new system for roughly the same game.

Doesn't really matter if the 3DS release will produce a higher initial sales figure. It's the overall profit that counts.

I don't get this argument.

Surely they want to sell the maximum number of copies they possibly can across all systems while also getting new console sales and Wii U customers (since extra income)?

To do that they should have released on Wii U first. A lot of people haven't bought the Wii U, but might have bought it if it was the only way to get Smash. Now instead people who already have a 3DS might buy it for that system and not bother shelling out for a new system for roughly the same game.

Doesn't really matter if the 3DS release will produce a higher initial sales figure. It's the overall profit that counts.

Pretty sure we've been here before with various other titles hoping or thinking they could kick some life into the wii u. Not sure why smash would be any different to the others.

No doubt you would see new wii u purchases but how significant would they be?

Instead Nintendo should of got the new 3DS and smash out together in the West as the 3DS sales in the West need improvement.

Edited by liger05

PlayStation maker Sony has quadrupled the amount of money it expects to lose this financial year in a profit warning it blamed on smartphones.

Sony described it as "the impairment of goodwill in the mobile communications segment", which means it had another look at its Xperia smartphones business and found it in even worse shape than it thought it was in.

The impairment amounts to 180 billion yen - or a whopping £1.04 billion - and this is how it affects Sony's bottom line: in July the company said it expected to make a loss of 50 billion yen for the financial year. Now, it reckons it'll make a loss of 230 billion yen - or £1.3 billion. It now expects an operating loss of 40 billion yen instead of the 140 billion yen profit it forecast in July.

While the PlayStation business - fuelled by the success of PlayStation 4 - continues to perform well, the wider Sony Corporation is struggling. This is the sixth downward revision under boss Kaz Hirai, who took the top job on in 2012 promising to return the company to profit.

Ouch!

Nice to see the PS business going well, it's just a shame the rest of the company is dragging its heels.

Youch, that isn't good.

The Z3 is meant to be a brilliant phone, too.

I love Apple products but there are just too many better phones out there, and the Z3 is one of them. It's a shame companies like LG and Sony can produce some amazing hardware but it effectively goes unnoticed to the masses.

I also got hold of their new tablet the other day. Hot damn. Amazing.

Pretty sure we've been here before with various other titles hoping or thinking they could kick some life into the wii u. Not sure why smash would be any different to the others.

Smash might be different because it sold 1 million in 2 days. Smash might be different because people were apparently paying £20 for a demo code that confers a week's advantage.

'Various other titles' weren't Smash. I'd say Smash is vastly different in many ways(this is only the 4th title in the whole of the series, 6 years since the last, to say the least)

Ouch!

Nice to see the PS business going well, it's just a shame the rest of the company is dragging its heels.

Not surprised. There mobile strategy has been a bit of a mess. I think its only now they are releasing a flagship in the US the same time as the rest of the world rather than waiting 3 months.

This weeks Japanese software and hardware sales.

1. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo, 09/13/14) – 944,644 (New)
  2. [PS4] Destiny (SCE, 09/11/14) – 91,277 (New)
  3. [PS3] Destiny (SCE, 09/11/14) – 49,503 (New)
  4. [3DS] Yokai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke (Level-5, 07/10/14) – 47,065 (2,469,211)
  5. [PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution (Bandai Namco, 09/11/14) – 40,180 (New)
  6. [3DS] Dragon Quest X Online (Square Enix, 09/04/14) – 22,977 (75,351)
  7. [PSV] Toukiden Kiwami (Koei Tecmo, 08/28/14) – 15,338 (121,320)
  8. [Wii U] Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo, 05/29/14) – 6,839 (665,918)
  9. [3DS] Yoshi’s New Island (Nintendo, 07/24/14) – 5,734 (179,714)
  10. [3DS] Yokai Watch (Level-5, 07/11/13) – 4,898 (1,269,742)
  11. [PS3] Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (Atlus, 08/28/14) – 4,709 (106,181)
  12. [PS4] Samurai Warriors 4 (Koei Tecmo, 09/04/14) – 4,534 (16,291)
  13. [PSV] Chain Chronicle V (Sega, 09/11/14) – 4,178 (New)
  14. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 (Bandai Namco, 08/07/14) – 4,084 (137,143)
  15. [3DS] Medarot 8 Kabuto Ver. / Kuwagata Ver. (Rocket Company, 08/28/14) – 3,766 (45,306)
  16. [PSP] Toukiden Kiwami (Koei Tecmo, 08/28/14) – 3,657 (20,485)
  17. [PSV] Love Live! School Idol Paradise Vol. 1: Printemps Unit / Vol 2. BiBi Unit / Vol 3. Lily White Unit (Kadokawa Games, 08/28/14) – 3,467 (76,033)
  18. [3DS] Taiko Drum Master: Don and Katsu’s Space-Time Great Adventure (Bandai Namco, 06/26/14) – 3,452 (160,821)
  19. [Wii U] Hyrule Warriors (Koei Tecmo, 08/14/14) – 3,365 (100,177)
  20. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V Low Price Version (Take-Two, 06/26/14) – 3,300 (60,307)

1. 3DS LL – 31,602 (23,624)
  2. PlayStation 4 – 23,623 (7,299)
  3. PlayStation Vita – 12,331 (14,441)
  4. 3DS – 7,967 (5,931)
  5. Wii U – 7,062 (7,349)
  6. PlayStation 3 – 6,083 (6,139)
  7. Xbox One – 3,015 (25,674)
  8. PlayStation Vita TV – 817 (910)
  9. PSP – 101 (288)
  10. Xbox 360 – 96 (126)

I didn't think so either. It's quite a jump from last week and when you consider Destiny on PS4 sold only circa 90,000, it's even more impressive. It made 16,000 more than usual sales because of it. Will no doubt drop down again next week.

Hyrule Warriors has bombed hard. It's taken a month to break the 100,000 milestone.

Dat Destiny effect.

A senior industry source quoting Chart-Track data told MCV that PS4 sales spiked 300 per cent week-on-week after the launch of Destiny. Of course, a percentage increase means noting without any actual figures, and although our source would not reveal exact numbers, he did confirm it was the biggest week of the year for PS4 hardware sales.

It outsold Xbox One hardware by two consoles to one, but it wasn't a bad week for Microsoft either, who also posted a significant sales hike week-on-week.

different systems I know, but is Smash more popular than Mario Kart? I always assumed MK was a bigger selling franchise.

Those Smash numbers are crazy, especially when compared to Destiny.

I'm a bit gutted as literally none of the next batch of Wii U games interest me in the slightest. I'll probably get Smash as my boy loved it on the Wii, but Smash, Bayonetta, Hyrule, X, Toad, Yoshi are not my cup of tea. Give me golf and Football Nintendo or a white PS4 is on the horizon.

Edited by Clownferret

different systems I know, but is Smash more popular than Mario Kart? I always assumed MK was a bigger selling franchise.

Those Smash numbers are crazy, especially when compared to Destiny.

They aren't anything special compared to Destiny or any other game. They aren't anything special, at all. The 3DS is doing great in Japan and Smash is quite popular, so the sales aren't surprising.

Happy the sales are this good, mind. :)

Destiny sales itself are surprising, though. Console market is dead over there and the game doesn't seem to be something that Japanese gamers would play/buy.

Interesting it sold so 'much'.

They aren't anything special compared to Destiny or any other game. They aren't anything special, at all. The 3DS is doing great in Japan and Smash is quite popular, so the sales aren't surprising.

Happy the sales are this good, mind. :)

Destiny sales itself are surprising, though. Console market is dead over there and the game doesn't seem to be something that Japanese gamers would play/buy.

Interesting it sold so 'much'.

1 million sales in 2 days isn't anything special?

I'm sure there are very few games that shift those kind of numbers, maybe i'm completely wrong, anybody have data?

Considering the 3DS userbase in Japan and the ongoing success of said system, it isn't special to me. Sorry, I didn't mean to talk about the matter objectively.

Objectively, yeah, it's something special and I'm glad it sold that amount.

But it's so nice to read that whenever you post something that isn't the opinion of the masses/or worded badly it's "laughable". Sometimes I wonder why I even bother posting anything outside the "Other Console Board". :indeed:

Edited by drahkon

It was guaranteed to do this well since it's on handheld and also a really popular franchise in Japan. It's special in the sense that most games will not do this well in Japan, but it's certainly not a surprise. You only need to look at games of similar popularity over there (e.g. non-online Dragon Quests) to see the same sort of massive figures all in the first week.

This weeks UK charts.

SBungie first-person shooter Destiny is top of the UK all-formats chart for the second week running.

Sales of the game fell 78 per cent following its record-breaking debut, but it still shifted enough copies to comfortably secure top spot ahead of Disney Infinity 2.0, which entered the chart this week with 32 per cent higher sales than predecessor Disney Infinity managed in its first week.

Chart-Track points out that PlayStation 4 continues to enjoy a boost from Destiny's launch; over 72 per cent of the console's sales last week were the Destiny hard bundle.

As always, Chart-Track's figures do not include digital sales.

Meanwhile, Wii U exclusive Hyrule Warriors entered the chart in third place, pushing Ubisoft's Watch Dogs down to four. The Sims 4 drops three places to five. Square Enix's 3DS game Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call debuts in 17th place.

This week's top 10 in full:

Destiny

Disney Infinity 2.0

Hyrule Warriors

Watch Dogs

The Sims 4

Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Minecraft: PS3 Edition

The Last of US: Remastered

Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare

I have to say, I'm very surprised that Hyrule Warriors reached the 3rd spot. I didn't even think it would break into the top 10.

The chart I have says it reached number 4.

1. (01) [PS4] Destiny

2. (02) [XBO] Destiny

3. (03) [360] Destiny

4. (NE) [WIIU] Hyrule Warriors

5. (NE) [360] Disney Infinity 2.0

6. (05) [PC] The Sims 4

7. (04) [PS3] Destiny

8. (07) [360] Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition

9. (09) [PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition

10. (NE) [PS3] Disney Infinity 2.0

11. (06) [PS4] The Last of Us: Remastered

12. (08) [PS4] Watch Dogs

13. (NE) [PS4] Disney Infinity 2.0

14. (11) [3DS] Tomodachi Life

15. (NE) [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call

16. (15) [360] Grand Theft Auto V

17. (NE) [XBO] Disney Infinity 2.0

18. (20) [XBO] Call of Duty: Ghosts

19. (10) [PS4] Call of Duty: Ghosts

20. (NE) [WIIU] Disney Infinity 2.0

21. (14) [360] Watch Dogs

22. (21) [360] Terraria

23. (19) [360] Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare

24. (23) [360] The LEGO Movie Videogame

25. (12) [PS4] Infamous: First Light

26. (17) [XBO] Titanfall

27. (18) [PS3] Watch Dogs

28. (27) [WIIU] Mario Kart 8

29. (30) [360] Skate 3

30. (RE) [DS] Pokemon Black Version

31. (22) [PS4] Metro Redux

32. (RE) [DS] Frozen: Olaf’s Quest

33. (35) [360] LEGO Marvel Super Heroes

34. (26) [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V

35. (RE) [XBO] Forza Motorsport 5

36. (29) [PS3] Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare

37. (RE) [DS] Pokemon White Version

38. (RE) [360] Sniper Elite 3

39. (31) [PS4] Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil

40. (40) [3DS] Mario Kart 7

Still 4th is good. Perhaps people are desperate for a game. I'll get it myself when it's cheaper.

https://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032

3rd/4th place is great for a game like Hyrule Warriors, especially considering it's exclusive to Wii U and considering the sales it had over in Japan. And it actually seemed to do well outside of my regular gaming circles. Outside of here and Twitter I never hear much about Nintendo but saw 3 friends on Facebook mention it, all of which I didn't realise had a Wii U until now.

It'll be interesting to see if it can hang onto that though, or if after this week it will be sent to the dark depths of Wii U hell.