Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

In its 4th week, Mario Kart holds #4 in the UK individual format chart, behind PS4 Watch_Dogs and EA Sports UFC for PS4/XBO.

It dropped to 7 on the all format charts, but considering every game above it is on at least 3 platforms, it's not that bad.

UK Top 40 in full.

1. (NE) [PS4] EA Sports UFC
  2. (NE) [XBO] EA Sports UFC
  3. (1) [PS4] Watch Dogs
  4. (2) [WIIU] Mario Kart 8
  5. (9) [XBO] Titanfall
  6. (5) [PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition
  7. (7) [360] Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
  8. (4) [XBO] Watch Dogs
  9. (3) [360] Watch Dogs
  10. (6) [360] 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil
  11. (8) [PS3] Watch Dogs
  12. (11) [PS4] FIFA 14
  13. (10) [PS3] 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil
  14. (15) [360] Grand Theft Auto V
  15. (14) [XBO] Wolfenstein: The New Order
  16. (16) [360] Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
  17. (12) [3DS] Tomodachi Life
  18. (22) [360] Titanfall
  19. (13) [PS4] Wolfenstein: The New Order
  20. (18) [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V
  21. (20) [PS4] Call of Duty: Ghosts
  22. (21) [XBO] FIFA 14
  23. (NE) [PS4] MOTOGP 14
  24. (23) [360] Wolfenstein: The New Order
  25. (28) [XBO] Fighter Within
  26. (19) [360] Call of Duty: Ghosts
  27. (25) [360] The LEGO Movie Videogame
  28. (26) [360] Terraria
  29. (29) [360] Battlefield 4
  30. (27) [360] FIFA 14
  31. (31) [360] Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
  32. (17) [PS4] Murdered: Soul Suspect
  33. (RE) [XBO] Call of Duty: Ghosts
  34. (36) [PS3] Wolfenstein: The New Order
  35. (35) [PS4] Infamous: Second Son
  36. (32) [PS3] Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
  37. (38) [PS3] Battlefield 4
  38. (30) [PS3] Call of Duty: Ghosts
  39. (37) [3DS] Pokemon Y
  40. (24) [XBO] Murdered: Soul Suspect

It's a shame Nintendo aren't going to be able to keep the momentum from MK8 going. I don't see the retail version of Wii Sports Club getting up to much, and then the next notable release isn't until September! :blank:

I honestly can't see any Wii U game making a dint in the charts again until Smash Bros arrives. You just have to look at what's arriving on the other 2 consoles in October and beyond to see that the likes of Bayonetta and Captain Toad are going to be brushed aside.

I honestly can't see any Wii U game making a dint in the charts again until Smash Bros arrives. You just have to look at what's arriving on the other 2 consoles in October and beyond to see that the likes of Bayonetta and Captain Toad are going to be brushed aside.
Yeah, they really needed to bring those games forward, ensure Smash was ready to go around October and then have at least one of the 2015 titles for the end of this year.

You know it's great seeing MK8 stay in the charts but what is it's actual number, aren't summer months usually sh1te sales wise?

If you look at the chart another way broken down in terms of platform you have:

1 Wii U

2 3DS

8 XBOX1

8 PS4

13 XBOX360

8 PS3

Or 3 Nintendo titles versus 37 Sony/Microsoft titles. That's appalling.

And this is why Nintendo really need to go home console third party. They're done.

No, they don't need to go 3rd party. The day that happens is the day I quit gaming. They need a kick up the backside, learn how to create the right product and get a Masters in advertising. I never see Nintendo ads but I see the competition all the time.

No, they don't need to go 3rd party. The day that happens is the day I quit gaming. They need a kick up the backside, learn how to create the right product and get a Masters in advertising. I never see Nintendo ads but I see the competition all the time.

Nobody wanting third party multiformats will go to Nintendo, ergo third party games will not be made on it.

They need innovative new games or technology to carry their product like the Wii did, but they're by no means guaranteed and you can't base your business on those.

It needs to happen, really. Imagine awesome Nintendo games on modern consoles with a great online infrastructure and no gimmicks. Fuck yes.

So you want Nintendo to become a "me too" company, or for them to scrap half their workforce and their entire company's mission statement and just develop software across multiple formats meaning the level of polish would likely be diminished, plus having to resort to annualisation in order to stay afloat?

Ok.

I'm with @Wii. If Nintendo go third party, I'm gone from gaming.

Also, have you forgotten that yesterdays gimmicks have become todays standards?

So you want Nintendo to become a "me too" company

Nope, they make original games to their own specification but on existing home console platforms.

or for them to scrap half their workforce and their entire company's mission statement and just develop software across multiple formats meaning the level of polish would likely be diminished, plus having to resort to annualisation in order to stay afloat?

No proof that would happen.

I'm with @Wii. If Nintendo go third party, I'm gone from gaming.

That's pretty sad actually. You'd quit gaming because of one game developer? Don't you like games made by other companies?

Nope, they make original games to their own specification).

No proof that would happen.

That's pretty sad actually. You'd quit gaming because of one game developer? Don't you like games made by other companies?

No proof that it'd happen? It's simple mathematics.

'Me too', like Bungie or Rockstar or Valve or Irrational Games or Double Fine Productions or Curve Studios or myriad other developers who release great games. That aren't annualised. That don't lack polish.

As if Mario wasn't an annualised franchise as it was.

And you wouldn't support them, you would stop buying Nintendo games, if they went multiplatform? I don't believe that for a second. You'd just proclaim it was the right move and it makes total sense and they'd be stupid not to.

And you would assume that Nintendo, that you imbue with innovation to a sycophantic degree, would suddenly become 'me too' - and not manage to retain their own distinct identity?

As for yesterday's gimmicks? They aren't all standard. Motion controls aren't often used. 3D screen, still a gimmick. GamePad, already forgotten. Vita's rear touch-pad, will fade into irrelevance if it hasn't already.

So many blind assumptions.

'Me too', like Bungie or Rockstar or Valve or Irrational Games or Double Fine Productions or Curve Studios or myriad other developers who release great games. That aren't annualised. That don't lack polish.

As if Mario wasn't an annualised franchise as it was.

And you wouldn't support them, you would stop buying Nintendo games, if they went multiplatform? I don't believe that for a second. You'd just proclaim it was the right move and it makes total sense and they'd be stupid not to.

And you would assume that Nintendo, that you imbue with innovation to a sycophantic degree, would suddenly become 'me too' - and not manage to retain their own distinct identity?

As for yesterday's gimmicks? They aren't all standard. Motion controls aren't often used. 3D screen, still a gimmick. GamePad, already forgotten. Vita's rear touch-pad, will fade into irrelevance if it hasn't already.

So many blind assumptions.

Oh boy. So much wrong with your post

I was talking about a me too company in regards to them making a console like the others.

Next, the Mario games aren't annualised. Yes, there are games each year using the IP, but each game is from a different series. Mario games are typically one per console

New Super Mario Bros: 1 per console

3D Mario: 1 per console (aside from Galaxy)

Mario Kart: 1 per console

Paper Mario: 1 per console

Mario Sports: 1 per sport per console (if that)

etc.

Mario Party is the only exception to this, but even that stopped annualisation back in 2007.

When I say annualisation, I mean that those games will become 1 per year, especially 2D, 3D Mario and Mario Kart, since they're the ones that sell. The rest do not.

Finally, by yesterdays gimmicks, I didn't mean literally yesterday. I'm talking things like the analog stick, rumble, touch screen gaming etc. Yes, not all gimmicks take off, but others do and it's incredibly shortsighted to just say "no gimmicks". That's how industries stagnate.

I know, that argument makes literally no sense. Why does releasing your games on a different console mean your output would become the same?

Oh boy. So much wrong with your post

I was talking about a me too company in regards to them making a console like the others.

No you weren't. We were talking about a situation where Nintendo weren't making any console at all, and you know it.

I know, that argument makes literally no sense. Why does releasing your games on a different console mean your output would become the same?

No you weren't. We were talking about a situation where Nintendo weren't making any console at all, and you know it.

I misread the last part of your initial post. My apologies.

Please explain to me why these games must be released every year unlike now when they are not released every year.

Bethesda do not release a Skyrim or Fallout every year.

I think Nintendo third party would see a huge downsizing and a reduction of output. People know complain about Nintendo not producing enough variety and going back to the same ip's but I don't see how them exiting the hardware market resolves that. The downsizing would just see less risks being taken.

I can't see any other game bar Smash Bros having any sort of impact, at least on the scale of Mario Kart. It's a huge title and it really is as good as it's going to get for the Wii U. Wii Sports isn't going to do it as its time has passed, Nintendoland didn't do it and I can't see any game on the horizon that will kick start the Wii U. Mario Kart is the closest thing I think the system has to some sort of saviour.

The line-up for the PS4/One for October and beyond, as you pointed out, is great. The systems haven't really got going yet and they're still selling well. I jumped in early which is both a good and bad thing, but I know that the games will come. The only thing concerning me are the amount of games being made for PS3/360 AND PS4/One.

I think Nintendo third party would see a huge downsizing and a reduction of output. People know complain about Nintendo not producing enough variety and going back to the same ip's but I don't see how them exiting the hardware market resolves that. The downsizing would just see less risks being taken.

Why? Other than downsizing people that would be responsible for hardware production.

If they make games that turn profit then they can still make them.

And they can prop up less successful franchises with money made from others, which is no doubt what they do now.

The only difference is that they're not haemorrhaging money by having an unsuccessful console, which means even more money to spend making games!

I am only talking about the home console going by the way.

New Super Mario Bros: 1 per console

3D Mario: 1 per console (aside from Galaxy)

Mario Kart: 1 per console

Paper Mario: 1 per console

Mario Sports: 1 per sport per console (if that)

etc.

Why is this is actually okay. One per console? This bullshit is what is holding them back. Yay, let's rebuild the same bloody game EVERY console cycle.

It's people holding attitudes like yours that are ruining Nintendo.

Edit: I thought out of respect to @Ashley you were going to put me on your ignore list.

You should go ahead and do that.