NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Fantasy Life is indeed fucking gold dust here, like Animal Crossing was. Animal Crossing still is hard as nails to find if you're dead set on a physical version, because they sell out pretty fast and the middle men are rigging up the price.

It's almost as if Nintendo keeps releases close to its chest, new consoles have few games in the launch period and Nintendo have a Wii U specific Direct this week.

Oh hang on

The Nintendo Direct is just going to be about first party games so it still doesn't answer the question of where is the third party support.

It is also unlikely they are suddenly going to announce a bunch of games that are going to ship before games like Pikmin 3 which has been in development for 5 years. If they will, they are likely to be smaller eShop offerings and not the sort of games that will shift consoles. And is something like Wario Ware really going to offer such a completely different party experience to something like NintendoLand that people are going to buy a console just for it?

Sales do go quiet in Janauray but at the PS3 was doing better sales in Japan on a weekly basis than the Wii U has been doing at the same point in it's life - i.e the start of the new year after a November launch.

The difference there was that Sony didn't have to worry about a new console coming out in 12 months. They knew they had a good 5 years to build up momentum without too much market disruption beyond the presence of the original Wii which was targetting a different crowd. They could just out last the Wii and steal sales later in the generation which they have done.

I'm not saying it's all doom and gloom and the console is dead and buried at all but things are far from rosy over there and I'd image Nintendo will be pretty disappointed too as they could well end up missing their 5.5million shipped target at this rate.

EDIT: And with the ND been and gone, the release schedule is still as barren as ever and there are no "new" games coming out any time soon to change matters.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Wii U is bombing..

If it drops below the vita or PSP next week then OMG..

It will continue to bomb till march/April as there is no new software which people buy consoles for.

Tough times ahead.

Wii U is bombing..

If it drops below the vita or PSP next week then OMG..

It will continue to bomb till march/April as there is no new software which people buy consoles for.

Tough times ahead.

I think expectations both ways need to be reigned in a bit - it's not bombing on a catostrophic level but all the hope without reason is equally unfounded and doesn't look likely to be fulfilled any time soon.

I think expectations both ways need to be reigned in a bit - it's not bombing on a catostrophic level but all the hope without reason is equally unfounded and doesn't look likely to be fulfilled any time soon.

Yeah. It's doing adequately. Not amazing, not bad by any sense of the word

The worry for me is no games to turn it around. The Direct was great but those games are a while away. In Japan they have nothing substantial being released for ages. I really do think nintendo thought just NSBMU and Nitendoland would be enough to carry the machine until Pikimin and Wii U fit arrive.

The worry for me is no games to turn it around. The Direct was great but those games are a while away. In Japan they have nothing substantial being released for ages. I really do think nintendo thought just NSBMU and Nitendoland would be enough to carry the machine until Pikimin and Wii U fit arrive.

Absolutely, and as I said, the PS3 was doing better sales wise at the same point in it's life (the economy is crap now but then the PS3 cost a fortune so they balance out) and that had a couple of games that came out that did cause sales spikes too in a way I don't expect some of Nintendo's games to.

But whilst there doesn't seem to be much on the immediate horizon to change matters, and we can't keep looking to Nintedo Directs to reverse fortunes, let's at least wait for it to fail before we announce it as such.

It's not good and it doesn't look good... but it sure isn't dead yet either.

Nintendo could just drop £100 off the price and BOOM, they'd be sorted.

Yeah, for bankruptcy.

They're making a loss now. If they cut £100 off the price, then they'd lose over £100 per unit. Sell just one million at that price, and they're over £100,000,000 under

At launch they needed one game to turn a profit (wouldn't surprise me if this were PR guff too to justify the high price). Several million units later costs will be down. Especially with relatively underpowered hardware. You could buys similarly powered hardware off the shelf for a lot less. Also, if this is £50 then you can bet the controller isn't as expensive to make as you think.

Yeah, for bankruptcy.

They're making a loss now. If they cut £100 off the price, then they'd lose over £100 per unit. Sell just one million at that price, and they're over £100,000,000 under

That's not how it works ahaha

With that reasoning, selling nothing isn't so bad because you'd be under by £0!

A price cut alone would cause a short term spike. Software is whats needed.

That's not how it works ahaha

With that reasoning, selling nothing isn't so bad because you'd be under by £0!

There would still be the cost of making the stuff that didn't sell, and development.

I know it's not exactly like that, but selling consoles at a loss is not a good thing to do, especially if you don't have any other departments to offset the damage

But in the long run it's better to take the hit on the hardware financially than just sell poorly and limit the audience for your software which will have the knock on effect of diminishing developer/publisher confidence in the platform.

So it can be a good thing to do.

I don't think a price cut is a good idea. Well definitely not £100. The software will shift the Wii U units but the release schedule is fairly sparse. Those sales figures for Japan are not good. To be beaten by the PS3 and nearly beaten by PSP is worrying. I know it's early but it's emanating Vita vibes in certain markets. While the Nintendo Direct was generally good those games are a long way off.

Knock 50 quid of each set. £200 for the Basic and £250 for the premium. I think that kind of price cut would be good right now.

Surprised we ain't seen a sequel to Wii Sports considering how many units it sold. Instead we get a Wii U party game? What's up with that?

Surprised we ain't seen a sequel to Wii Sports considering how many units it sold. Instead we get a Wii U party game? What's up with that?

I wonder if they're saving that for when it's lower price? With the right games (Wind Waker HD, 3D Mario), they can probably sell more Wii Us at full price. Then, when they can eventually make a price cut without taking a loss, they could bring out Wii Sports U.

TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE - INDIVIDUAL FORMATS (UNITS), WEEK ENDING 26 January 2013

LW

TW Title Format Label Publisher

4 1 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II XB360 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

3 2 FIFA 13 XB360 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

8 3 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II PS3 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

6 4 FIFA 13 PS3 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

5 5 FAR CRY 3 XB360 UBISOFT UBISOFT

10 6 FOOTBALL MANAGER 2013 PC SEGA SEGA

7 7 JUST DANCE 4 WII UBISOFT UBISOFT

11 8 THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM XB360 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS

1 9 DMC XB360 CAPCOM CAPCOM

17 10 ASSASSIN'S CREED III XB360 UBISOFT UBISOFT

9 11 FAR CRY 3 PS3 UBISOFT UBISOFT

16 12 HALO 4 XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

2 13 DMC PS3 CAPCOM CAPCOM

12 14 FORZA MOTORSPORT 4 XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

18 15 FORZA HORIZON XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

15 16 NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED XB360 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

29 17 ASSASSIN'S CREED III PS3 UBISOFT UBISOFT

14 18 NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED PS3 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

13 19 HITMAN ABSOLUTION XB360 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

25 20 PAPER MARIO STICKER STAR 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

21 21 GRAN TURISMO 5 ACADEMY EDITION PS3 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

19 22 HITMAN ABSOLUTION PS3 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

24 23 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

20 24 DISHONORED XB360 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS

23 25 MARIO KART 7 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

- 26 THE SIMS 3: 70S 80S 90S STUFF PC EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

- 27 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV XB360 XBOX 360 CLASSICS TAKE 2

31 28 BORDERLANDS 2 XB360 2K GAMES TAKE 2

22 29 WWE '13 XB360 THQ THQ

26 30 SUPER MARIO 3D LAND 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

30 31 MEDAL OF HONOR: WARFIGHTER XB360 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

37 32 MARIO & SONIC LONDON 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES WII SEGA SEGA

27 33 SONIC & ALL STARS RACING TRANSFORMED XB360 SEGA SEGA

28 34 WWE '13 PS3 THQ THQ

- 35 GRAND THEFT AUTO EPISODES - LIBERTY CITY XB360 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2

- 36 DEAD ISLAND GOTY EDITION XB360 DEEP SILVER KOCH MEDIA

- 37 UNCHARTED 3: DRAKE'S DECEPTION GOTY PS3 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

33 38 LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGS XB360 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

- 39 THE SIMS 3 PC EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

34 40 ZUMBA FITNESS 2 WII 505 GAMES 505 GAMES

Vita and Wii U still with nothing charting. DMC should see a price reduction prettu quickly as its bombed. Paper Mario out of nowhere hitting the top 20!!

Edited by liger05

Paper Mario SS's rise is really weird! It's tracking Mario & Luigi 3's chart position pattern (and Japanese sales) creepily similarly!

What on earth caused its re-entry and rise?

*Checks Vita release schedule*

...There's nothing out until March?

How lame.

If LBP comes out on Plus, that'll make up for it. Do eeeeet.

*Checks Vita release schedule*

...There's nothing out until March?

How lame.

If LBP comes out on Plus, that'll make up for it. Do eeeeet.

Sony was hoping that the 3 big games in AC, NFS and COD would shift units but the hardly made a dent. The Vita is in a real tough spot!!

Still to have no releases until March is just stupid.

One thing which isnt good but in a way I'm glad is the 3rd party ports are bombing on the wii u. If the publishers thought that selling overpriced old games on a new console was wise then they now should have the wakeup call that is not. NFS will likely suffer the same fate.