NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Its silly. Take COD: Black Ops. Annually the biggest selling franchise in the West and it took forever just for this game to be confirmed as getting a Wii U release. Why delay that?

There could be a bunch of 3rd party stuff coming out but not letting people know this only creates negative thoughts. 6 months ago I was basically thinking that the only 360 titles I would be getting were the exclusive games and all multi platform titles I would get on the Wii U. I don’t think this is going to be the case though we still don’t know what games defiantly have a Wii U release date and which ones do not as the whole NDA thing with 3rd parties causes nothing but more questions.

Agreed. Nintendo are just shooting themselves in the foot with this (literally!) short sighted strategy. It's doing them more harm than good.

Edit: OK, NOA have just put out their Q1 release list for 3DS and Wii U and.... oh dear...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508743

Wii U

Publisher Title Available

Activision The Amazing Spider-Man™ Ultimate Edition March

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct March 26

Capcom Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate March 19

D3Publisher The Croods: Prehistoric Party! March 19

Electronic Arts Need For Speed Most Wanted March 19

Nintendo LEGO® City: Undercover March 18

SEGA Aliens™: Colonial Marines Q1

Ubisoft Rayman® Legends Feb. 26

Nintendo eShop for Wii U

Gaijin Games BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien Q1

Neko Puddle Q1

SEGA The Cave™ Jan. 22

TECMO KOEI AMERICA Corp. Fist of the North Star®: Ken’s Rage 2 Feb. 7

Two Tribes Toki Tori 2 Q1

Zen Studios Zen Pinball 2 Q1

Nintendo 3DS

ATLUS (Index Digital Media, Inc.) Etrian Odyssey™IV: Legends of the Titan Feb. 26

Shin Megami Tensei®: Devil Summoner®: Soul Hackers April 16

Capcom Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate March 19

D3Publisher The Croods: Prehistoric Party! March 19

Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate March 5

Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 3D Feb. 12

Little Orbit Monster High™ Skultimate Roller Maze™ March 13

NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. NARUTO® Powerful Shippuden March 5

Nintendo Brain Age™: Concentration Training Feb. 10

Fire Emblem Awakening Feb. 4

LEGO® City Undercover: The Chase Begins April 21

Luigi’s Mansion™: Dark Moon March 24

Pokémon™ Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity March 24

SEGA Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed™ Feb. 12

Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS

Agetec, Inc. Bloody Vampire Jan. 31

Witch’s Cat Jan. 31

Big John Games Coaster Creator 3D Q1

Capcom Resident Evil®: The Mercenaries 3D Q1

Disney Interactive Disney/Pixar Finding Nemo: Escape to the Big Blue Jan. 17

Maximum Games Deer Drive Legends Jan. 17

Nicalis Ikachan Q1

Guxt Q1

Nintendo Tokyo Crash Mobs™ Jan. 17

Fire Emblem Awakening DEMO Jan. 17

Brain Age™: Concentration Training DEMO Jan. 24

Renegade Kid ATV Wild Ride 3D Q1

Rising Star Games Jewel Master: Cradle of Egypt 2 March 19

Shin’en Nano Assault EX Q1

Ubisoft Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon® Shadow Wars Jan. 24

Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® 3D Q1

So much for Nintendo's "Launch Window" lineup...

Edited by Dcubed

What I find bizarre is that the state of the industry at large isn't changing the larger development studios attitudes towards Nintendo platforms. Is that Nintendo's fault? Perhaps only partially.

When such large amounts of cash are needed to generate AAA blockbusters, it seems ludicrous to 'not' port on to as many systems as possible to recoup costs. Now that we have parity between the HD consoles this decision is even stranger. (Gamecube all over again?)

I actually think many of the big developers see Nintendo as some kind of joke. Sure they respect them but they don't take them seriously - thus the 'kiddy' and 'casual' attitudes towards them and lack of support being given to their platforms over the years. Even though the Wii outsold everything else, the third parties still just threw it bones. Industrial prejudice?

They weren't serious about the platform and therefore Nintendo themselves. It was black and white and many developers went under when there was actually a wealth of gamers in the Wii camp who were crying out for quality in certain genres.

Nintendo are a powerhouse in the industry but it seems that studios who want games to be taken seriously, as art, and be offered in competitive arenas are at odds with Nintendo's simpler philosophies. As Nintendo continue to build consoles that are more like 'toys' with a range of experiences available from them, the other consoles are focusing on faster processors etc. as one would expect, this appeases developers far more than Nintendo's 'ideas' do.

I just don't see perceptions changing. Gamers and developers have already decided where Nintendo's place is. Heck, Nintendo have decided too. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy and one that doesn't appear to have an ending. Remember Tomb Raider's sales on the Gamecube and Wii? That's why Eidos and Lara Croft won't come to the Wii U. The list goes on. History repeating...

Perhaps it will only take the reduction of another console in the market to bring more software to Nintendo's camp.

Edited by tapedeck

What I find bizarre is that the state of the industry at large isn't changing the larger development studios attitudes towards Nintendo platforms. Is that Nintendo's fault? Perhaps only partially.

When such large amounts of cash are needed to generate AAA blockbusters, it seems ludicrous to 'not' port on to as many systems as possible to recoup costs. Now that we have parity between the HD consoles this decision is even stranger. (Gamecube all over again?)

I actually think many of the big developers see Nintendo as some kind of joke. Sure they respect them but they don't take them seriously - thus the 'kiddy' and 'casual' attitudes towards them and lack of support being given to their platforms over the years. Even though the Wii outsold everything else, the third parties still just threw it bones. Industrial prejudice?

They weren't serious about the platform and therefore Nintendo themselves. It was black and white and many developers went under when there was actually a wealth of gamers in the Wii camp who were crying out for quality in certain genres.

Nintendo are a powerhouse in the industry but it seems that studios who want games to be taken seriously, as art, and be offered in competitive arenas are at odds with Nintendo's simpler philosophies. As Nintendo continue to build consoles that are more like 'toys' with a range of experiences available from them, the other consoles are focusing on faster processors etc. as one would expect, this appeases developers far more than Nintendo's 'ideas' do.

I just don't see perceptions changing. Gamers and developers have already decided where Nintendo's place is. Heck, Nintendo have decided too. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy and one that doesn't appear to have an ending. Remember Tomb Raider's sales on the Gamecube and Wii? That's why Eidos and Lara Croft won't come to the Wii U. The list goes on. History repeating...

Perhaps it will only take the reduction of another console in the market to bring more software to Nintendo's camp.

This is very true. You can tell it, internet wise, based on the reaction to Bayonetta 2.

Industry wise, it's harder to tell, but it's certainly there. People know that Nintendo's games are awesome though, that's why there are these continual calls for Nintendo to go third party.

The reaction of the net to bayonetta 2 going to the Wii U was beyond a joke. This was a game which was dead going nowhere and Nintendo bring it back to life and instead of the internet celebrating they go crazy and start moaning that the game is on a Nintendo console. Pretty hilarious.

Good example Serebii & Liger and very true. I've always said this (echoing Iwata's sentiments) but the sooner we get to the glass ceiling of graphics - where we cannot 'visually' improve a game - the better (primarily for Nintendo). However, industry bias will still exist.

Nintendo made a promise that the Wii U would include 'U' core gamers and that the very nature of the console is geared for core experiences. I am more keen to see what Nintendo do with this vision. Nintendo Direct's and E3 will point to the future of this system. Third parties or not, I'm just keen (like everyone else!) to see what's around the corner for this promising, innovative console.

What Nintendo need (more than ever) is a third party to stand up and be counted on Nintendo hardware and become the next Rare!

Edited by tapedeck

Microsofts marketing department alone is serval times the magnitude of the entirety of Nintendo, and that doesn't even include the outside agencies they hire. Microsoft also heavily get behind and push a substantial number of third party games. That is massively appealing to developers/publishers and something Nintendo can't even begging to compete with.

I suspect that has a fair but to do with it. Also as big as the Wii was, if you combine the HD twins which had parity in power (thus development could overlap much more easily and cost less), you have HD consoles beating the Wii by 40 million odd units. And a much smaller potion of this much larger base will be 'casual'. I expect to see something very similar this generation, tbh.

Good example Serebii & Liger and very true. I've always said this (echoing Iwata's sentiments) but the sooner we get to the glass ceiling of graphics - where we cannot 'visually' improve a game - the better (primarily for Nintendo). However, industry bias will still exist.

Nintendo made a promise that the Wii U would include 'U' core gamers and that the very nature of the console is geared for core experiences. I am more keen to see what Nintendo do with this vision. Nintendo Direct's and E3 will point to the future of this system. Third parties or not, I'm just keen (like everyone else!) to see what's around the corner for this promising, innovative console.

What Nintendo need (more than ever) is a third party to stand up and be counted on Nintendo hardware and become the next Rare!

Ubisoft is that 3rd party so far.

This years E3 more than ever is crucial to Nintendo's success. There's not a whole lot on the horizon and if we've a repeat of last years E3, Wii U really will be doomed. People can have no more excuses then. The signs I have to say are not bright unfortunately.

This years E3 more than ever is crucial to Nintendo's success. There's not a whole lot on the horizon and if we've a repeat of last years E3, Wii U really will be doomed. People can have no more excuses then. The signs I have to say are not bright unfortunately.

There is no doubt in my mind that they will have their big guns ready for the next Xbox and Playstation. If by some chance they do cock it up, it will be fine. Nintendo with their backs against the wall is the best Nintendo.

( see N64 & GC for details :) )

French 2012 yearly sales for Wii U (and all other consoles) are out now!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508889

Wii U 2012 : 120k

Wii 2006 : 180k

3DS 2012 : almost 950k

ps3 2012 : 700k

Wii 2012 : 370k

Xbox360 2012 : 360k

Not bad :) Not as good as the Wii of course, but it's a pretty good result all in all.

France has always been one of Nintendo's best performing EU regions (they're very receptive to Japanese products in general actually)

Edited by Dcubed

The 360 numbers are a bit pants.

It's crazy how the regions differ so much in terms of sales, not just worldwide but just within Europe as well.

Nintendo with their backs against the wall is the best Nintendo.

I think this is true for pretty much for all the platform holders. I only liked Sony when the fucked up and had to massively claw their way back, I loved the N64 too, and the Dreamcast is brilliant. I don't think we'd have Playstation Plus if Sony had stampeded this generation like they did the last.

Also, the Vita in my opinion (being one of the three people in the world who bought one), is absolutely brilliant. It's had a much better year than the PS3 this year in terms of games, I reckon. Seriously, EDF 2017 came out this week. Best Game. Ever.

On the flip side I hated the Wii and really had no desire for a PS1 or PS2.

If Activision was still for sale, I'd so want Nintendo to buy them, just for the fallout.

Call of Duty becoming Wii U exclusive. It'd be hilarious.

It'd help Nintendo's sales by having CoD and Skylanders exclusive to the Wii U/3DS and it'd annoy so many. It has to happen

Yay, annoying people is fun.

Yes it is indeed. The Bayonetta 2 fallout was simply hilarious to watch :laughing:

Yes it is indeed. The Bayonetta 2 fallout was simply hilarious to watch :laughing:

One of my friends is completely pissed still with it. He knows it wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Nintendo, but he actually says he'd rather that.

Idiot

French 2012 yearly sales for Wii U (and all other consoles) are out now!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508889

Not bad :) Not as good as the Wii of course, but it's a pretty good result all in all.

France has always been one of Nintendo's best performing EU regions (they're very receptive to Japanese products in general actually)

Better than I thought. I was worried it did less than 100k in France.

Basic pack: 10%; ZombiU pack: 15%; Premium: 75%

The Basic pack needs to go. They messed up with that. Nobody wants it anywhere.

Nintendo need to really captalise on the 3DS momentum. More localisations and all games localised with US dates should be hitting Europe at the same time.

Better than I thought. I was worried it did less than 100k in France.

The Basic pack needs to go. They messed up with that. Nobody wants it anywhere.

Nintendo need to really captalise on the 3DS momentum. More localisations and all games localised with US dates should be hitting Europe at the same time.

People WILL want it. It's just early adopters are the core players and they'd want the Premium

When Wii Fit U comes out it will be very interesting to see if the casual market is still there. I really liked Wii Fit and as I have a long standing injury it really enabled me to do some extra work at home in a relaxed manner. Yoga was something I always wanted to do and as my injury requires a lot of core strengthening I was delighted Nintendo offered me such a programme.

Anyway, back on topic: I hope Wii Fit sells well again and pushes the notion of the GamePad more. It seems like the perfect piece of software for the GamePad so you can just log in to it and check your weight, upload your 'steps' and do some supported workouts without the need for a TV. I think if they promote that right, Wii Fit U will be a huge seller and will move a lot of Wii U units.

There is also the draw of HD Nintendo titles in the vain of Mario/Zelda/Metroid (etc etc). I believe that has a LOT of market value to core gamers alongside the promise of GamePad virtual console titles. E3 'should' be the time Nintendo unveil the true Wii U and hopefully there are some third party gems in there to round things off.

Does anyone else think Nintendo should start promoting 'apps' for the Wii U via the e-Shop? Surely it makes good business sense? I know I would pay a small amount for an Othello app (like the one seen in the promo). Things like Jetpack Joyride also lend themselves to the GamePad (and would look great on my HD TV). We could also see some indie motion games too.

There is so much potential with the Wii U - moreso than with other consoles in my opinion.

Edited by tapedeck

People WILL want it. It's just early adopters are the core players and they'd want the Premium

I dont think so. It offers no value at all!

When Wii Fit U comes out it will be very interesting to see if the casual market is still there. I really liked Wii Fit and as I have a long standing injury it really enabled me to do some extra work at home in a relaxed manner. Yoga was something I always wanted to do and as my injury requires a lot of core strengthening I was delighted Nintendo offered me such a programme.

Anyway, back on topic: I hope Wii Fit sells well again and pushes the notion of the GamePad more. It seems like the perfect piece of software for the GamePad so you can just log in to it and check your weight, upload your 'steps' and do some supported workouts without the need for a TV. I think if they promote that right, Wii Fit U will be a huge seller and will move a lot of Wii U units.

There is also the draw of HD Nintendo titles in the vain of Mario/Zelda/Metroid (etc etc). I believe that has a LOT of market value to core gamers alongside the promise of GamePad virtual console titles. E3 'should' be the time Nintendo unveil the true Wii U and hopefully there are some third party gems in there to round things off.

Does anyone else think Nintendo should start promoting 'apps' for the Wii U via the e-Shop? Surely it makes good business sense? I know I would pay a small amount for an Othello app (like the one seen in the promo). Things like Jetpack Joyride also lend themselves to the GamePad (and would look great on my HD TV). We could also see some indie motion games too.

There is so much potential with the Wii U - moreso than with other consoles in my opinion.

I think its quite a big ask to see it have the same effect. There are loads of fitness games now and many people who had wii fit would have moved on to Kinect for there fix.

With the recent numbers from france coming out and the UK numbers not looking to good it really will be interesting to see how the Wii U fares in Europe as prior to the Wii the N64 and GC didnt shift many units in Europe so its not an easy place for nintendo to crack. Would be nice to know the German numbers as well.

Wii_EU

Edited by liger05

Yes, but I'm sure it won't be that bad.

Personally, I suspect it will be just enough, but not the hardcore-fest most of us would like. I think we'll see EAD Tokyo's Mario, Mario Kart and the rest made up by casual/bridge games.

I really don't see how the 2012 E3 was massively bad. They didn't get the NintendoLand stuff down properly, but everything else was great

E3 2013 has to be better than "not bad" to put the Wii U on a good footing, but I think Grazza's right that they'll do just enough. I've kind of written E3 off now though, seeing as it's expressly for investors and not really core gamers.

I really don't see how the 2012 E3 was massively bad. They didn't get the NintendoLand stuff down properly, but everything else was great

It was decent, but It's just so embarassing that a good portion of the show was dedicated to a year old game with a few tweeks....

I think its quite a big ask to see it have the same effect. There are loads of fitness games now and many people who had wii fit would have moved on to Kinect for there fix.

What makes you think that? Not a single Kinect game other than Kinect Sports has shifted over 1 million copies worldwide and the Kinect can't actually weigh you or keep track of your fitness progress (which is one of Wii Fit's biggest selling points)

Not to mention that the Balance Boards are already out there, so there's no need for an expensive peripheral to be bought if they want the game (just the console)