Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Weight Loss and Fitness 2013

Fierce_LiNk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What equipment do you have @Fierce_LiNk?... you'll have to give this skinny bastard here some tips! Gym's a bit of a drive from here so if there's stuff I can do at home... I only have a couple of dumbbells, but could get some stuff.

I have the following:

Equipment

York Weight Bench - Think it's of the 13-in-1 variety. I'll check later. Can do flat, decline and incline benching thanks to it. - about £90

York 5ft (I think) standard barbell - came with an 80 quid weight set

8kg standard barbell - think it's 7 foot. - paid about £25

A set of retractable squat stands - £50

A pair of york 16inch dumbbells (ones where you can add the weights on yourself) - about £10 each I think

Another pair of york dumbbells, but with a rubber handle. Works fine but got battered, so brought the new ones. - came with 80 quid weight set

Weights

6 x 0.5kg

4 x 1.25kg

4 x 2.5kg

4 x 5kg - all of this came in one weight set

4 x 10kg - 2 of these came in a weight set, I think. I bought the other 2 for about 20 quid each, or around abouts.

2 x 25kg - about £40 quid each.

All of these are standard cast iron weights.

I initially bought these as a supplement to the gym, where I was still going at the time. I bought a small set of dumbbells and cast iron weights. I had no intention of using this as my primary usage of exercise, at that time. Had I known, I would have been tempted to get Olympic Weights instead.

I think that's the lot. Next time, I'll be purchasing either some more 10s, or 15kg plates.

Using this, I can comfortably work out at home for all of the main lifts. Shoulder pressing, squatting, deadlifting, bench, all takes place at home.

Kettlebells are good and will work your whole body, however a single kettlebell is probably limited for adding size and strength, eventually you'll need to increase the weight so you'll still have to upgrade to a heavier kettlebell every so often. In that respect a set of adjustable dumbbells (that can be made up to say 20kg-25kg each) might be better value.

For serious strength and size gains a barbell is probably preferable but it's a significant investment, especially an olympic bar and serious weight, plus racks and benches. The benefit of the Olympic bar are the rotating sleaves which make cleaning the bar easier, this is helpful if you're training without the benefit of a rack/squat stands.

I don't have the space of money for a rack or bench and I coped, it's not ideal but olympic lifters seem to do alright lifting mostly from the floor. I don't have bumper plates but my plates have handles designed into them, so I can do some kettlebell type stuff with them if I want, including light farmers walks with the 20kgs.

That said there are lots of options and plenty of strong physiques have been forged without a lot of weight. Look into bodyweight training and gymnastics, there are loads of websites on this kind of stuff, like beastskills and bodyweight culture, youtube is full of guys building amaxing upper bodies at their local parks training on the pull up bars and stuff. You could also look into sand bag training, which is a rugged but cheap and effective way of getting strong.

You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren is a very awesome book for ideas of bodyweight stuff.

I am definitely on the olympic/powerlifting side of weightlifting. Static weights bore me and I hate having to rely on a stand. Its bad enough getting an oly bar in my gym at times!

Come to the dark side @Retro_Link, we need moar members =P Also I think you'd be surprised at what you CAN lift if you give it a try, with some good advice, encouragement and a bit of hard work. *nods*

I've got a 7ft Olympic bar, its a beast. Worth every penny. But I *think* the oly plates are more expensive. However the oly has the advantage that its already 20kg in itself, compared to 5-10kg for regular bars.

Kettlebells are awesome, there's a lot ye can do with them.

For the longer term, it's better to get Olympic weights. But the prices are higher. If this is something you're going to do for the next decade, it might be worth the investment.

Don't think I could do much with 20kg! :p

I have a dumbbells set of 3kg 5kg 7.5kg I think... that's all. Are barbells the way to go for more all round exercise... chest/shoulders etc...

What can you work on with Kettlebells?

All of the above are advantageous. You can do a lot with dumbbells, a lot with barbells and a lot with kettlebells. What I would recommend is getting both a barbell and dumbbells with adjustable weight plates because you can transfer between the two. That way, you could buy a set of plates with varying weights and equip it in any way that you want.

What I do is I stack my barbell (with the weights off) in the corner of the bedroom, against my wardrobe. Right in the corner. My two barbells live there. I have my weight plates put underneath my bench. They don't take up any additional floor space. You can actually fit a lot of stuff in a small space if you think about it carefully. I might take a picture tomorrow to show you where I work and where I keep my things. It's not a great deal of space at all. Do you have a basement that you don't use?

Kettlebells are good and will work your whole body, however a single kettlebell is probably limited for adding size and strength, eventually you'll need to increase the weight so you'll still have to upgrade to a heavier kettlebell every so often. In that respect a set of adjustable dumbbells (that can be made up to say 20kg-25kg each) might be better value.

For serious strength and size gains a barbell is probably preferable but it's a significant investment, especially an olympic bar and serious weight, plus racks and benches. The benefit of the Olympic bar are the rotating sleaves which make cleaning the bar easier, this is helpful if you're training without the benefit of a rack/squat stands.

I don't have the space of money for a rack or bench and I coped, it's not ideal but olympic lifters seem to do alright lifting mostly from the floor. I don't have bumper plates but my plates have handles designed into them, so I can do some kettlebell type stuff with them if I want, including light farmers walks with the 20kgs.

That said there are lots of options and plenty of strong physiques have been forged without a lot of weight. Look into bodyweight training and gymnastics, there are loads of websites on this kind of stuff, like beastskills and bodyweight culture, youtube is full of guys building amaxing upper bodies at their local parks training on the pull up bars and stuff. You could also look into sand bag training, which is a rugged but cheap and effective way of getting strong.

Although you'd want to have as much equipment as possible (benches and racks), you're right in saying that there's always ways around this. Different variations for press-ups, for example. Even something like installing a pull-up bar will sort you out in many ways. It really depends on what your goals are. For me, I wanted to be able to do the majority of bodybuilding exercises, so bench pressing, deadlifting, shoulder pressing. For the bench pressing, I'd need the bench. If I wanted to barbell bench, I'd ideally need a stand of some sort, too. You could just dumbbell press, so there's always ways around things.

So yes, what are your goals exactly @Retro_Link?

Retro, if you want to work out from home I would highly suggest getting p90x (or just downloading the videos). It's a very rigorous work out and you'll learn a lot about getting fit and building muscle. All you need for most of the workouts is a workout mat, some weights/resistance bands and some pull up bars.

Also, diet is key :)

@Fierce_LiNk I guess my goal is to just bulk out a bit and gain some muscle definition (and gain a bit of overall fitness).

I've always been a skinny guy at 5ft11 and an average of around 10 stone... It's not easy to put on weight at all... but then I see boxers etc... weighing it for a fight at 10 stone and realise that I must at least be able to build some muscle to fill out a bit you know.

So arms, shoulders, chest... I just want to fill out and improve my strength.

@Fierce_LiNk I guess my goal is to just bulk out a bit and gain some muscle definition (and gain a bit of overall fitness).

I've always been a skinny guy at 5ft11 and an average of around 10 stone... It's not easy to put on weight at all... but then I see boxers etc... weighing it for a fight at 10 stone and realise that I must at least be able to build some muscle to fill out a bit you know.

So arms, shoulders, chest... I just want to fill out and improve my strength.

The first thing you need to look at is your diet if you want to bulk out. Is there a lot of protein in your diet? You want to incorporate eggs, milk, chicken and some fish in your diet. I also eat quite a bit of quorn and yoghurt. When I was at uni, my weight was around 9stone. Now, I'm at least 3 stone heavier, probably 4, although I am coming off a bulk. You've met me, you know I'm a short arse.

The diet is the first thing. You'll need to address that, as without that you're losing the battle before you even start working out. There's plenty of advice you can get off the net these days. I'm a big fan of porridge so I have that as a breakfast if I have time (although I've been slacking on that lately). You'll need a decent supply of carbs, too. Important, as that's where you're getting your energy from.

Ohhh my PT is taking me into the lions den next week, where the benches and squat racks are. I'm playin wit the big boys naow :D

Enjoy eet, Raineeng. I'm admiring your plural of squat racks, there. I've never been to a gym with more than one squat rack. Never been to a gym that has more than one bench press area either (bench and rack).

I'm tiiiired. Squashed again today with the Ine. The heating must have been on because we were both dying in there. So fucking hot. I could barely stand by the end of it. I think I lost the very last 8 points in a row, just because I was swinging aimlessly and trying to stand up.

Today is pull day. Push day took a lot out of me yesterday and squash today has killed me. The chances of pull day being moved to tomorrow are high. I'll see how I feel after tea.

My gym has 2 squat racks, 2 benches and then an incline bench an decline bench. It's great, although its busy you can generally get a squat rack.

Today is squatted another PB, 87.5kg. Managed it relatively easily too so will push for 90kg on Wednesday.

Body fat is down to 16.3% which is great news. Last time I measured it a month ago it was 18.7%. I can notice the difference around my waist too. Starting to get into the shape I want to be. This time last year is was ~13% but only 73kg. I'm now up to 78kg but far more muscle.

Eating very healthy during the week and lots of protein.

Right im back with it.

Gone are the bugers, chips and pop

In are the chicken, brown rice and protein shakes.

After work today I did a 5k run which is my first bit of exercise after being notified of redundancy. Going to go back on weights before work tomorrow. Ive packed all my stuff and set the alarm.

Cheers for all the support.

EDIT: I did go to gym before work and smashed shoulder workout.

Edited by Blade

The base of my fingers are all cracked. That's a good sign, right? :heh:

Anyone else just lose energy to do a particular exercise? Usually I'm fine with squats, but last two days I've just not been in the mood for it and my body is just saying no. Maybe it's not my week.

Also, weights for home: are ones like this (just an example) actually any use as they are quite light?

Thanks!

Also, weights for home: are ones like this (just an example) actually any use as they are quite light?

Thanks!

The max weight there is 2kg... I really don't know what you could do with them?

Another PB for me in the weights room tonight. 1x5 105kg deadlift!

I now see what you guys were talking about with the grip. I was struggling with it slightly.

That's what I thought, but then thought maybe I'm missing a use....

As I said, that was just an example. Will go for heavier ones undoubtedly, just wondering if there's any exercises that would make good use of them. I DON'T KNOW.

Oh, I know I've asked before but what's a good protein shake that doesn't taste like ass?

As I said, that was just an example. Will go for heavier ones undoubtedly, just wondering if there's any exercises that would make good use of them. I DON'T KNOW.

Oh, I know I've asked before but what's a good protein shake that doesn't taste like ass?

PHD Pharma Whey HT+ is the bomb. The stuff mixes so well, it's a great blend and the macros are perfect.

I had the mint chocolate one and loved it, actually finished the 2kg tub last night.

They could probably be used for some rotator cuff type exercises, maybe with aerobics too, but even then for the price you pay you could probably make your own light weights out of water bottles.

The base of my fingers are all cracked. That's a good sign, right? :heh:

Anyone else just lose energy to do a particular exercise? Usually I'm fine with squats, but last two days I've just not been in the mood for it and my body is just saying no. Maybe it's not my week.

Thanks!

Those are dire weights, dude. Don't go anywhere near them.

This is only a tenner cheaper but is better.

If you can afford it, this would be excellent. It's a lot of money, though and if you're doing all of this stuff at the gym anyway, it might be unnecessary.

As for what you can do: In short, lots. You can do a lot more if you had a bench, such as dumbbell bench presses, barbell bench, tricep extension/skull-crushers, chest flies. Without it, you can do a fair bit of shoulder work, such as a standing military press, front raises, side raises, then other stuff such as bicep curls, rows.

Also, the reason I chose those weights are because it's a good starter kit, plus you can expand on it and add to it, buy more weights, etc. You could also do the same with Olympic Weights, but I imagine it'll cost more. For an at-home supplementary set of weights, that's roughly what you should be looking at. It'll last.

That's what I bought @Ashley quite a few years back now, a set from Argos... 1.5kg, 3kg, 5kg maybe.

Only really use the 5kg one now, but were a decent starter set at the time.

But I'd now follow @Fierce_LiNks advice and get a set of dumbbells can add your own weights too now.

Also FLink, what bench did you buy?

Edited by Retro_Link

That's what I bought @Ashley quite a few years back now, a set from Argos... 1.5kg, 3kg, 5kg maybe.

Only really use the 5kg one now, but were a decent starter set at the time.

But I'd now follow @Fierce_LiNks advice and get a set of dumbbells can add your own weights too now.

Also FLink, what bench did you buy?

The reason I chose those weights is because you'll be able to expand on it. You won't just be stuck with a set of 2kg dumbbells. The problem with the dumbbell tree is that you'll quickly out-grow those weights. 2kg isn't an awful lot of resistance. Plus, you'll need even more space to house it. Whereas the plates can be stacked and tucked under the bed or something.

This is my bench. I'm a very, very big fan of it. I didn't like it at first, as it seemed quite complex to use, as it did seem fiddly being able to work out how to adjust it (it seemed like a puzzle), but you'll get it before long.

Using that bench, I can hit flat, incline and decline bench presses. There's some weird things you can do with it that you'll probably never use, but for the basics, it's excellent. A good build quality. It's risen in price since I bought it. However, at that price, I think you'd be hard pressed to find one that's better and for cheaper.

The one downside is that you can't hit a perfect 90 degree angle/upright angle. It's 70degrees or so, or close to 80. Shouldn't really be a problem, but for perfectionists who are particularly about dumbbell shoulder presses, it's not entirely perfect. I still use it for that reason, but it's probably the only thing I can nitpick.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Oh yeah it would be supplementary to what I'm doing at the gym, but for those three days a week whereby I'm not at work and thus can't be bothered to go to the gym.

Cheers kids.

Anyone else notice the description for that 20kg weight Flink posted says "boxed product weight: 19kg"? WITCHCRAFT!

Did my pull exercises after a busy and long day. Finished my workout after midnight. Had pillows under the weights to prevent loud sounds when deadlifting.

Managed to deadlift 128kg 3 times, but they weren't consecutive reps. I hit it one time, then couldn't do it for a 2nd rep. Tried again, hit it the first time, but couldn't get the second. Did it a third time, but again, no second rep. It just wouldn't happen. If the day was less tiring and I had done my workout much earlier, I might have hit it.