NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Practicality versus Price - HELP ME PREASE

Ignore the casual racism preaaase in the title.

As Ine has moved a great distance to be in the YooKay, I realise that I have to do loads of shit to make her feel welcome and all. One of those things is to take an interest in her activities and interests: This time it is Squash.

We love to squash. However, we have a dilemma. Currently, there are two leisure centres/clubs that have caught our eye, but they each bring a set of problems along with it. As a result, we can't decide which is best.

Club 1

• is 19 minutes away, probably more than google maps says
  • has a membership fee of £25 per person
  • gives us usage of the squash courts, except 5-9 o'clock on Mon-Fri
  • has a public car park which charges you to park there. Roughly 3 quid for the duration of our squash stay.

Club 2

• is moar expensive - £65 for the first person and about £40 for the second person on the joint membership account
  • is only 5 minutes away by driving, very close.
  • includes the ability to use ALL of the club's facilities in their membership, including full use of their gym and pool
  • - unsure of car park, but probably free as it's a posh club. Membership parking, I bet. Will check.

So, help. Club 1 is further away, but cheaper (initially). We realise that being further away means more petrol cost and cost for the car park. But, Club 2 is more expensive from the outset. Although, it is worth noting that the price includes everything. Gym, pool and all facilities. So, in that respect, it isn't terrible.

Will you use the other facilities at club 2? If so then that is clearly the better deal my flinkington.

I know people who pay shed loads for just a gym membership like 80 squids or more. You're getting a lot for your money at club 2. If you just want to purely play squash then it's probably better to go club 1 and save some moolah. These are tough times after all and every penny counts!

Will you use the other facilities at club 2? If so then that is clearly the better deal my flinkington.

I know people who pay shed loads for just a gym membership like 80 squids or more. You're getting a lot for your money at club 2. If you just want to purely play squash then it's probably better to go club 1 and save some moolah. These are tough times after all and every penny counts!

We have all of our gym stuff at home, since I've bought weights and bench already. So, probably won't be using gym.

Club 1 is cheaper, but then you have to pay for more petrol cost, more parking and we only have the ability to use club between 5-9 on Monday to Friday. So, it's a bit more limiting in that respect.

No wai. Just stating the benefits and downsides of both. It really is practicality versus price on this one.

It really is going to be the squash membership we're after, so the other benefits of club 2 are things we won't really be using.

No wai. Just stating the benefits and downsides of both. It really is practicality versus price on this one.

It really is going to be the squash membership we're after, so the other benefits of club 2 are things we won't really be using.

But they have a swimming pool :yay:

What does Ine think?

She is equally torn, hence thread. A tough choice.

Just to clarify, it's extremely unlikely we'll be going to either club to do anything other than squash eet up. So, on that basis, club 1 seems more sensible.

Club 2 looks better. Practicality is more important, if it's not practical, soon you'll start making excuses not to go.

It doesn't even sound like the distance is the biggest limiting factor, I mean, 5-9 PM sounds like an optimal time for the activity (though I'm assuming, here)

Plus, you may think the Squash and Pool are the only things you'll use, but you never know, there might be more that interests you in the future, and Club 2 sounds like it has the best facilities. (By the way, since that club sounds like the one I used to go, they could also have a "guest" system in which a member can bring one guest per month. Try checking that.)

EDIT: Okay, so just Squash in the near future. I still say Club 2

Indeed. So in that case, work out the prices for club 1 + parking etc and compare with club 2. If you are only going to play squash then the cheaper option is obviously better. Club 2 may be closer but 20 minutes journey is not that far at all really.

If you are only going to save a small amount of money by going to club 1 as parking + petrol adds up then you then need to weigh up the travel time. That could put you both off from going especially if tired from work etc whereas if it is just around the corner you will probably be more inclined to go and have more motivation to do so. Plus no limit on times.

Or... find a wall in an alleyway? :P

Fierce Link, when you say Club 1 is 19 minutes away, I take it you mean by car? There is no way I'd (regularly) use a sports centre that far away, but that's just me. Mine is 30-40 minutes by foot, or a few minutes in the car. Personally, things like car parking charges irritate me, and I'd rather just spend a fairly large amount of money and have more facilities, but again, that's just me.

Fierce Link, when you say Club 1 is 19 minutes away, I take it you mean by car? There is no way I'd (regularly) use a sports centre that far away, but that's just me. Mine is 30-40 minutes by foot, or a few minutes in the car. Personally, things like car parking charges irritate me, and I'd rather just spend a fairly large amount of money and have more facilities, but again, that's just me.

Yeah, by car, it's about 19 mins. In reality, with traffic conditions, its more like 25.

Just totalling it up in my head, we'd be paying 25 each for the membership, so that's £50. Plus, parking will be roughly 3-4 quid a time. If we go there twice a week for a month, we'll be paying about another 25 quid just for parking. Plus, petrol, which will possibly be another 20 quid.

So, although the initial charge is 25 quid each, it'll actually double when taking into account parking, and petrol. But, that's still cheaper than the other place. However, then you have to take into account the times we can use the place (a bit inconvenient) and the drive there and back, which is quite long. It's basically an extra hour.

Club 2 is much more practical. Although it is initially more expensive, I'm certain we won't need to pay parking charges, and the petrol cost is quite negligible. You get to Club 1 by using a dual carriageway for part of it, so more petrol loss there, too.

She is equally torn

Lying naked on the floor?

Go for option two. Or else YOU WILL DIE.

19 mins away in the car, say 25 when you've parked etc. 50 minutes extra a day.

You can only go after 9pm.

Say you play once a week. Must be around 10 miles or so, 20 miles a week @ 45p a mile to include maintenance. That's... £8.50 a trip plus £3 parking. Up to £11.50 already a trip.

Factor in the 'can't be bothered dricing' factor.

No competition. Practicality is far more important.

I'd definitely go for number 2. Just the travelling time alone is going to be a deterrent to visiting the first place, whereas you won't feel it's much of a hassle to stroll into the second whenever the mood takes you, thereby actually justifying the asking price.

I tried getting back into squash, however the place I chose was a fair distance away. As a result, I only went once.

Is this the club on knyveton road by any chance?

If you can afford it, go club 2. You'll go alot more as its more convenient, the facilities will be nicer and you may get into the other things like swimming etc in the future. Is it a 12 month contract though? That could change things. I you can cancel at any time that's fine.

Club 2 obviously, and skip driving there and walk it and you'll do more exercise, save on petrol! Having the access to other facilities gives you opportunity, which is worth the money.

19 mins away in the car, say 25 when you've parked etc. 50 minutes extra a day.

You can only go after 9pm.

Say you play once a week. Must be around 10 miles or so, 20 miles a week @ 45p a mile to include maintenance. That's... £8.50 a trip plus £3 parking. Up to £11.50 already a trip.

Factor in the 'can't be bothered dricing' factor.

No competition. Practicality is far more important.

Same way I'm thinking - petrol and parking could add up quickly w/ option 1. Are these prices on a monthly basis, Flink? With the distance/parking, the price difference per club isn't huge - and option 2 seems to offer much more.

It hardly seems like a choice to me; Club 2 all the way. The deciding factor for me will always be convenience; having to drive 20-25 minutes will almost certainly have a deterring effect, and so might the time limitations (though I'm not sure exactly when you can and can't use it?). Factoring in price for petrol and parking, you get a much, much better deal (which will only get better with time) at Club 2 with the access to the other facilities, and although you say you won't use them, you might end up doing so anyway, and they are in any case convenient to have.

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

Also, Fierce Link, you can pop into the gym at the better place and do some pull-ups (assuming they've got the equipment), which work the latissimus dorsi and are difficult to do at home.

Is this the club on knyveton road by any chance?

If you can afford it, go club 2. You'll go alot more as its more convenient, the facilities will be nicer and you may get into the other things like swimming etc in the future. Is it a 12 month contract though? That could change things. I you can cancel at any time that's fine.

It's on Roslin Road South. Pretty close to Bournemouth Uni. I live on Surrey Road, pretty much in the Upper Gardens. :)

I'm pretty sure its a 12 month contract. I'm temptedings to give them a ring when I get back and ask for a tour of the place.

Also, Fierce Link, you can pop into the gym at the better place and do some pull-ups (assuming they've got the equipment), which work the latissimus dorsi and are difficult to do at home.

I could do that, but I've already sorted that issue out. I place my barbell in my squat rack and do pull ups/chin ups on that. Worked absolutely fine, lats and arms were sore the next day (after the workout), so I'm going to stick with that.

I could do that, but I've already sorted that issue out. I place my barbell in my squat rack and do pull ups/chin ups on that. Worked absolutely fine, lats and arms were sore the next day (after the workout), so I'm going to stick with that.

By amazing coincidence, that's what I've been doing this past week, yet never thought of it before! (I don't have my own bench though, I'm using a very sturdy gym one.) But yeah, I agree, it's a very good exercise. I was surprised that it pumped my lats up as much as wide pull-ups (I say "surprised" because on paper it's more like Mid Row than pull-ups).

By amazing coincidence, that's what I've been doing this past week, yet never thought of it before! (I don't have my own bench though, I'm using a very sturdy gym one.) But yeah, I agree, it's a very good exercise. I was surprised that it pumped my lats up as much as wide pull-ups (I say "surprised" because on paper it's more like Mid Row than pull-ups).

I gave it a thought before, but have worried about stupid shit happening, like the bar snapping in half (yeah, I know) or the squat stand falling over, or something. It's actually pretty safe. Good to know.

Now I just need to get back into it and improve. I'm fairly weak at these, I find it easier when the palms are facing you, but that's going to work more of the bicep. In my current gym, there aren't actually that many areas to do pull-ups. I can think of 3. Only one of these allows you to do them assisted. Should be able to include them into my routine properly now.

Sign in to follow this