N-Europe

Dark Souls II

CoolFunkMan

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/video/2014/feb/25/peter-serafinowicz-dark-souls-ii-game-video?CMP=twt_gu

Funny interview about Peter Serafinowicz's role on the game. ( @ReZourceman aka the most tagged man on the forum aka the man who seems to only deal in love/hate relationships with people and toys)

I wasn't really too excited about this before but I think enough time has passed since the original. Plus, I should be able to snag a free copy if I review it for my university newspaper. BARE TIME INVESTMENT THO.

I just read some of this (poorly written, granted) :

http://joystuck.co.uk/features/4796-first-impressions-dark-souls-ii

Firstly, the combat mechanics aren’t as precise. They feel like they work in broader strokes. The time windows for parries are wider now, making them easier to pull off. Backstabs (or critical hits as they are called) don’t require a perfect positioning as they did in the last one. However, in these attacks and their animations, there are little to no ‘invulnerability frames’ as they are called by series veterans which could throw them off even more. Various other minor changes such as this, combined with a very in-depth tutorial in the game, which you can literally run past if you should choose to do so, work together to make the game more accessible.

Not sure whether I'm glad about that or not. I hardly ever parried in the previous two Souls games because it was so difficult to time correctly, and you could never be certain which attacks could be parried. At the same time, that also made successful parries really satisfying.

Yeah the backstab has always been buggy.

By the sounds of it it seems the game will have a hybrid structure - partly Demon's Souls in that you can return to a world whenever you want and try to chip away at it (you can warp to any bonfire in DS2 from the start, similar to the portal entries in Demon's), but it also keeps the overworld of Dark Souls so you have that greater sense of exploration. Part of Dark Souls' charm was that you could only take shortcuts to other bonfires/areas through physical means, which meant you had to remember the layout of the world for efficient exploration. However, missing a shortcut (like a switch, or a lift) was easily done and a right pain in the arse, and I remember the relief of gaining the means to warp.

• 2 weeks later...

So I decided to order this. Still not sure if it'll be my cup of tea (not played any of the Souls games before) but it looks pretty cool and there's nowt to play on Wii U at the moment, so gonna give it a go. :)

All I really know about the game is that it's supposedly very difficult and you die a lot, which reminds me of Monster Hunter :D and I ended up loving that franchise so hopefully will enjoy Dark Souls as well.

Oh I wouldn't worry. It only takes a few minutes to master the essential skills, and bosses are fairly forgiving in that they're never able to kill you in a couple of hits. The systems/mechanics are made 100% transparent from the get-go too, and the games never punish you for small, sloppy errors. You'll be fine.

Pennywise

Edited by dwarf

I really can't afford to spend money on this as my car needs fixing which is a nice chunk of change, but I have just realised the wife is away all weekend leaving me home alone...

From reading around it seems this is a lot harder than DS1, but its hard to tell if its just because it is new and players dont know the world/enemies as well. For as hard as DS1 was the first time around,it was quite easy to complete numerous times and make you feel like a king for rolling through such a tough game.