NEurope
jayseven

Advent Calendars.

Do you have one?

I used to get a chocolate advent calendar every year, until my mum started listening to my idiotic teenage grunts and didn't send me one during my first year at Uni, even though she sent my older-by-two-years sister one! Humph!

I also tended to just 'forget' about it for a few days, then amass a glorious quantity of chocolate to devour in one sitting.

By habit, we just tried to get calendars that counted down to NYE -- y'know, for that extra chocolatey goodness.

THIS year is a little different. I'm spending much of the run-up with a couple of teenagers who are still very much invested in all that xmas nonsense. Their dad has, for the last couple of years, borrowed from the more authentic tradition of boxing a 'toy' in each day. The calendar itself is a nicely constructed wooden set of boxes, all arranged in a faux-dispersed way. Each day so far (bear in mind it's 3rd today!) has included not the gift itself but instead a short riddle to find the gift, and each household member has a turn.

Essentially, I was very surprised today to be gifted with an awesome penknife -- it has a pen, knife, bottle opener and bright LED light attached to a keyring. Very well suited!

Calendars in the shops only started appearing about a week ago, whereas I imagine back home they've been there for months..!

Anyone here still get them, or have you recognised that they're a load of nonsense? Does anyone do anything more interesting?

A senior member of our team at work bought us all surprise advent calendars. It was a lovely gesture!

A bit of chocolate every day just for it being December? Awesome. However, I have not got myself an advent calendar this year... mostly out of laziness.

Heck yes I have one...

Mr Men advent calendar. :) I wanted an Avengers one, but they were out of them when we went to get them :(

I don't have an advent calendar although my sisters and at least one brother was bought one.

Can't say I'm that bothered, I don't particularly want chocolate first thing in the morning and I would just forget about it later on.

I have one! I haven't had one since I was really little, like 7 or something. I don't even remember. But now I have one! It's just a normal one from Cadbury but I don't care. Still need to eat today's one though! :)

I don't just have one, I make one!

http://advent.serebii.net [/shamelessPlug]

Seriously though, I have one...White Chocolate <333

No no no no no no. NO!

Way too much snow. Turn it down a bit.

I've been getting an advent calender from my mum for as long as I can remember, and even me moving into my own apartment hasn't stopped her from making one every year. :heh: She also makes one for my dad and for one of our close friends. Every day there's an interesting little thing she's stumbled upon throughout the year, like a book or a decoration or a pack of chocolate. It's so kind of her, and it reminds me of Christmas back home. :)

Oh, and I also got a chocolate calendar this year. :heh:

I have a Lindt chocolate one which I thought was awesome, but upon closer inspection it appears there's only one Lindt reindeer and one Santa, the rest of the windows are just small chocolates! What a scam! Plus there are no pictures in the doors so there's pretty much zero surprise each day. Sad times :(

I miss the days when the chocolates were actually shaped almost exactly like the pictures, and not just those embossed attempts on generic squares you get these days. Maybe it just seemed more awesome back in the day because we were young? I often wonder that about Christmas, it's never as amazing as it used to be. Stupid kids steal all the attention now! :p

Edited by Jav_NE

I have one this year. A Belfast Giants one. Been doing some work in Belfast over the past couple of years and got really into the Ice Hockey. Picked this up the other day, only a couple of quid and pretty basic but I love it.

A9BpKPmCMAAoFui.jpg

I have one this year. A Belfast Giants one. Been doing some work in Belfast over the past couple of years and got really into the Ice Hockey. Picked this up the other day, only a couple of quid and pretty basic but I love it.

A9BpKPmCMAAoFui.jpg

Who are you working for platty?

Who are you working for platty?

No, no, no.... That's ot how you say that at all... You say it like:

*SMACK*

Who are you working for, Platty?

*SMACK*

Anyway, haven't had one in years. Used to have a fantastic glow-in-the-dark one from a catalogue that I got out every year. But no chocolate one for a while.