N-Europe

Scams

EEVILMURRAY

Anyone been a victim of one or had one attempted on them?

Recently I had this tried on me again relating to Eurochance100, where you can join a lottery syndicate and win a whopping 1/100th of the winnings should you strike it rich. Taken off a post I made on moneysavingexpert.com,

This could be on part of my not being able to understand her semi-thick Indian accent. Apparently called Bernice, a name not usually associated with middle-aged Indian ladies, but normally reserved for women born in the 1930's, she informed me I had entered a competition to win an iPhone "A couple of months ago" (the Audi was also briefly mentioned), which I don't remember providing that number a couple of months ago but about a week ago, but the reason I provided the number they rang is that it's on my Galaxy SIII (screw you iPhone) and that I will be transferring my old phone number to the new phone.

They actually tried calling me twice but my Gerudo Valley ringtone was set at too low a volume to hear and I was sleeping. So I actually rang them back, they instantly knew my name and my email, so naturally I was intrigued. What would I do with 2 million pounds she asked? The usual go on holiday and buy a house I reply. Then came the lottery interrogation, do I play the lottery, how much, do I play in a syndicate. I pretty much ignore the lottery, a rare scratchcard purchase but nothing really beyond that. But I lied that I was a big lottery fan, just to see where this was going. Then came the mention of some card (after reading the replies here I see it was the Haggle Card, but I couldn't understand her accent at the time) which could give me cashback on certain online purchases.

Enter the main plug, give us £44 a month and we'll buy you 200 tickets at 5p a ticket, "please, tell me more" I enquire. She asks what bank I'm with: HSBC, then informs me that all sort codes from HSBC start with 40-... OK? I'm very glad she told me that nugget of information. After reiterating that I could win "a lot of money" she asks for my account number which apparently can be gotten freely anywhere and since it's emblazoned on my bank statement also I should have no problems giving it to her.

I promptly hung up.

Full thread, complete with suckers here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=517443

Anyone else recieved a call for such a fantastic opportunity?

I'll send the cash recorded delivery. Just to make sure it gets there.

Ooh, don't forget the extra £5.49 handling charge for cash.

Seriously though, China is just full of scam artists: there was this massive one where people bought boxes of dirt and earthworms for £100 a box and the seller "promised" to come back in a year to take the boxes away and double their money. Something about using the soil in the boxes as high-grade agricultural fertiliser. People were cheated out of thousands of pounds, and the guy never came back.

But honestly: deserved it.

Then there was one from my own experience:

Them: Hey you wanna job? Great money! 100% commission based helping expatriates in the Mediterranean manage their assets! You can make €3000 a month!

Me: "Can" make, "more likely" live of baked beans and porridge.

Them: No way man! People make so much money I have to TELL them to go one and stop making money at 5pm! But they don't want to! Because they're making so much money!

Me: Or rather, they haven't made any money this week and if they can't score a few quid off some hapless expat twat, they'll be sleeping on a park bench before the week is out.

Them: Let me lay my cards on the table; opportunities like this don't come round very often!

Me: That's because by the time you've conned enough people into taking up the job, you're already out of business.

And so on.

Oh! And there's the "Tea Scam" here:

A pair of "students" will approach you somewhere near People's Park or East Nanjing Road and ask you to take a picture. They start yammering on at you about how much the love the West and ask you to go to a "Traditional Tea Ceremony". You agree, then they take you to this ratty little tea house where you are served all these "ancient and famous" Chinese teas. Which are actually not ancient or famous. Then the bill comes, and it's £500. Your student friends, being students, immediately plead poverty and you are left to cough up. If you refuse, they put the hurt on you.

Two sets of scammers actually tried that crap on me last Saturday within about 10 feet of each other.

Edited by Iun

We got a call at work yesterday actually from someone claiming to be with the Windows Support Team and they had noticed that this girls computer had just been infected with a nasty virus and they wanted to help her remove it. All she had to do was go to this website to give them access to the computer!

Thankfully she had the sense to pass the call up to us who actually know something about technology...

It's scary how many would actually fall for it though. I remember reading a story on Reddit a few months ago about a guy who got a similar call so he downloaded a few virus-infected files and zipped them all up and called it 'Bank Details' and left it on the desktop.

He then gave access to the dude who obviously went straight there and copied those files.

I've had that too!

Taken from the Facebook status at the time.

I just had a nice call from Microsoft Technical Support, apparently a load of problems on our computers have been showing up on their system. I asked if it was the one with Windows 7, and apparently it was.

I don't even have Windows 7. Checkmate fucker.

[i do have Windows 7 now, they were early]

James Oh hahahahahahahaha

Greg brilliant!

Ian I tell them I use wfwg 3.11 they get all confused when I tell them that I don't have a start button. Or I tell them its an ICL 1906a running George. or I pick up my calculator instead of my computer.. Try to waste as much of their time as possible so some other unfortunate doesn't get scammed

Emma i got that call. i trolled them for 10 minutes then told them i had a mac :D

Derek I was tempted to spread it out a bit, but he said he was about to launch into a list of problems but I couldn't be bothered. Plus I had some TV paused and wanted to carry on watching.

Mark Yeah, had the call too and let them explain at length that I had a virus and what I could about it, then asked them if the virus was reporting to them and they said yes. My reply then was that the virus only reports back to its uploader.

*click*

Derek I'm curious as to what they were going to say: "Yes we can solve this problem... for a price..."

Mark Reminds me of a work colleague who got a call from people that sold conservatories, he went thru all the options and everything and an hour later he asked whether the conservatory would actually fit onto his second floor apartment :D

Jordan I told them to kindly go fuck themselves, stop calling innocent people who don't know any better and hung up.

Samantha My poor auntie got scammed with a call like this, she did realise eventually but it was too late by then...bastards!

Derek How much did it cost her?

Samantha I'm not sure but I remember they gave her a fake name and phone number, when she realised she phoned them back an they claimed that noone of that name worked there an they didn't know what she was talking about!

Rob They asked arnie if he used windows 7, he replies with "no, I still love vista baby"

Yeah we got a call from "Microsoft Technical Support" a couple of weeks back. It was my parents who spoke to them but thankfully they aren't stupid enough to fall for it. They got a number from them which I Google'd and it came up with IT support company I think, but it obviously wasn't Microsoft.

Next time I get a call like that I'm going to ask to speak to Bill Gates.

I've had the "Windows tech support" scam pulled on me quite a few times, never fell for it once. They tried it when i was waiting for service at Starbucks.

Recently had a few PPI scam calls come through. They asked for a Mr Richards, and as 2 live in the house i asked which 1. They said they only had the surname. D'oh!!!!

The last time I dealt with a scam call (a virus is on your computer blah blah) I told them that what they were doing was morally reprehensible and that they were trying to steal from me.

I felt a little guilty though as she had a thick Indian accent and my situation in life is likely to be much nicer.

I haven't gotten any "MS Tech Support" ones or any where someone calls you...would like to get one and waste their time though :heh:

I do get the email ones from time to time, though not as much (or any) in a long time... you know the "I'm a deposed Nigerian King with lots of money I can't access, help me get it and I'll give you half" ones :heh:

Most recently though I started getting a few on my phone.

Still have one saved on my phone... it says

"Congrat!!Your Mobile Number has won for you $2,000,000 USD in the Freelotto Mobile Promo.For Claim, Send Email to [@live.com] & Call +44 etc"

The number it came from was a Mayalsian number (+60 international code) yet it is telling me to call an English number to claim :heh:

Kinda want to call them back and see what happens, waste their time a bit but as I'd be callin an international number I don't want to be wasting my own credit on the call :heh: