NEurope
James McGeachie

If Nintendo go totally HD collection crazy on Wii U...

...are you in?

Imagine the possibilities. HD Gamecube classics like Wind Waker and Prime...and then Wii games, like Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country Returns, etc.

I'm just wondering, how much will people let Nintendo away with it? Are you gonna let them get away with milking SD for years and buy all their games again...or are you deliberately not reward them for it and not buy any?

(By the way, I'm aware of the existence of Dolphin, but most people don't have PC's capable of using stuff like that to the fullest).

People seem to love HD collections, but maybe that's because they also tend to add achievements/trophies.

Release an HD version of Super Mario Galaxy with some sort of achievements and the fans will eat it up.

Why bother with a HD collection port? They're gonna be releasing GCN games, emulated in HD (going by the N64 VC) on the Virtual Console anyway.

Far easier, far less effort involved and a better overall result (with no stupid fuckups or alterations that ruin the game - I'm looking at you Silent Hill HD, Prince of Persia HD collection, Perfect Dark XBLA and Banjo Kazooie/Tooie XBLA!)

Wind Waker in 16:9 and HD could cost a hundred quid and I'd still buy it. A Director's Cut with extra work put in would also be amazing, if extremely unlikely.

I personally haven't considered any HD collection yet, apart from the Metal Gear Solid one, but that's just because I never had a PS2 or PSP.

I'm also CONSIDERING Shenmue HD, but only because my Dreamcast is broken, and I want to show my support for SMIII.

If I'm to buy HD versions of any Wii or GC games, the graphics must be enhanced way more than just getting a resolution change. Something more along the lines of the XBLA version of Perfect Dark:

I'd love for Nintendo to release a "Virtual Console HD", where they can put updated versions of old games.

NES and SNES games can get ideas from the SEGA ports on XBLA, with added/better save features, achievements and the like.

N64 games can be upgraded similar to the two Banjo games and Perfect Dark on XBLA, which improve it in every way while still retaining the feel of the originals.

GameCube and Wii would haveo make t do with simply getting the resolution changed. Hopefully they'll decide to increase some textures or improve some models.

And I really hope they would go all-out with Wind Waker.

Hizz no will I let Nintendo get away with it! I loosened my buttons during the Wii period and while I'm glad that I did, I wasn't blown away. So I've buttoned up my shirt to the neck and made an oath that only hot software will fully strip me!

As Dcubed and darkjak said, it could ruin the gameplay and if I were to by a true remake then it'd have to be an evolved yet 100% faithful to the original. I'm mainly talking about The Lagend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time here. :D

As in ideas that I know they had for that game in order to make it 'complete' masterpiece, they could have utter fun and pleasure inserting them to forge ir into the supreme, legendary classic. Ever! :yay:

But in general I just want new games and for them to be done right - with love. :heart::love::heart:

Why have a HD Metroid Prime when you can have a new one with more story, not experienced before, and (hopefully) deeper gameplay/fun?

TLOZ: OoT gets special treatment :geek:

EDIT 1 - Also a WindWaker remake! :bouncy:

EDIT 2 - Nintendo better play their AR Cards Right. 3DS weren't up to standards so I didn't buy it. I'll bloody do the same with any game console from this moment onwards. :cool: I'll just have more time with my other hobbies! :D

Edited by Beverage

The best NPC games for me were Pikmin 2 and (the still not released) Chibi-Robo!, precisely because they were games I never bought first time around, and couldn't buy new for reasonable prices.

I will treat any re-releases on Wii U in exactly the same way. It's only the games I've never played that I'll be interested in. If I resisted the temptation to double-dip for Metroid Prime Trilogy with IR controls, I very much doubt I'll be bothered with anything I already own just for crisper visuals.

(with no stupid fuckups or alterations that ruin the game - I'm looking at you Silent Hill HD, Prince of Persia HD collection, Perfect Dark XBLA and Banjo Kazooie/Tooie XBLA!)

What? What stupid things did they add to these games? BK is essentially the same game in higher resolution. Perfect Dark they improved the visuals a little, got rid of all the slowdown and threw in online multiplayer. The only other extras I can think that they added is achievements.

What? What stupid things did they add to these games? BK is essentially the same game in higher resolution. Perfect Dark they improved the visuals a little, got rid of all the slowdown and threw in online multiplayer. The only other extras I can think that they added is achievements.

I believe that they mapped reload and action to different buttons, plus they added the ability to access the secondary mode of your weapon with a single press of a button.

Whilst I would agree that Nintendo need some 'HD Selects' in their portfolio, I really don't really want them to come at the expense of new titles; whilst some may then argue that they can simply be outsourced it comes at a risk of new artists destroying the original style of the game. Its a difficult balance.

I would happily ask for both Ocarina and Majora's Mask and Wind Waker in HD, Super Mario 64 onwards but its such effort for, I guess, pretty small returns.

I believe that they mapped reload and action to different buttons, plus they added the ability to access the secondary mode of your weapon with a single press of a button.

Those bastards! *angry fist*

How dare they make it possible to reload in front of a door!

With Banjo Kazooie they fucked up the note collection system (making it the same as Banjo Tooie - resulting in a game breaking glitch involving Bottles Bonus Fun and ruining the point of both Rusty Bucket Bay and Click Clock Wood), bollocked up the camera controls (getting rid of the preset angle movement and allowing free horizontal camera controls makes the camera much more difficult to control, and the 1st person look camera is inexplicably and awkwardly mapped to the 2nd stick!) and broke the cutscenes (it looks a mess now that nothing matches the music timing!) - also the new HUD was terrible (those Jinjo 360 faces... the stuff of nightmares!)

Banjo Tooie wasn't as bad, but there were two crippling flaws with the port. Firstly, they utterly ruined the FPS section controls by making the cursor snap back to the default position when you let go of the stick (OH GOD WHY!!?!?!?), when in the original it would just stay where you last had it - this makes the final boss battle an utter fucking nightmare as you're constantly fighting with the controls to get the cursor to move onto Grunty.

Secondly, they disabled saving when you use the cheats. Now I can understand disabling achievements when you use them, but for the love of god WHY THE HELL DID YOU DISABLE SAVING ALTOGETHER!?! It makes the cheats utterly useless now!

Otherwise it was a good port, just ruined by these two unfortunate design decisions.

Perfect Dark XBLA is a real oddity. Now obviously, the slowdown being fixed is the most important thing but there were a ton of changes that I really wish they didn't make.

For the controls, of course nothing is going to really replicate the N64 experience on the 360 controller, but why the hell couldn't we have just one control scheme that allowed the weapon menu to be accessed by holding A and choosing with the left stick like in the N64 one? (Hell, why not make it customisable?)

The visual upgrade is a mixed bag for me. Some models were quite well done (Johanna and Carrington spring to mind instantly) but then you've got Elvis who was fucked up to high heaven. If you're gonna do this kind of enhanced port, why not give me an option to choose the original N64 graphics? (ALA Halo Anniversary)

What really urks me about the port though is the game balance. They showed no respect to the original game at all and started fucking around with the weapon balance (Laptop gun was nerfed, N-Bombs Grenades were rendered useless, Combat Knifes no longer always kill with one hit, explosions are smaller and don't produce as much fog now etc), with no option to just play the damn original game. Same goes for beloved glitches like the motion blur respawns (I know a lot of people hated them and it wasn't supposed to happen, but it made the game more fun for me) and the poison knife dead body glitch.

Adding the GE Classic weapons into multiplayer was a nice touch but the port as a whole just wasn't treated with any kind of love, care or respect for the original game. I just wanted to play the original PD without any slowdown, not some modernised and "re-balanced" version.

Edited by Dcubed

Well. Can't say fairer than that! Honestly though I completed Banjo Kazooie without even noticing these things. Little slip-ups like that would be a small price to pay for say, a re-textured HD Majoras Mask.

Whilst I would agree that Nintendo need some 'HD Selects' in their portfolio, I really don't really want them to come at the expense of new titles; whilst some may then argue that they can simply be outsourced it comes at a risk of new artists destroying the original style of the game. Its a difficult balance.

I would happily ask for both Ocarina and Majora's Mask and Wind Waker in HD, Super Mario 64 onwards but its such effort for, I guess, pretty small returns.

Agreed.

Unless it's easy to do so, NINTENDO or their 2nd parties shouldn't be working on making old titles 'prettier' and a bit more fleshed out, but should be working on NEW games and NEW franchises and NEW experiences.

Like Reggie once said: 'We run towards risk'

(by shitting out Mario games at the blink of an eye:laughing:)

I'm very proud of the developers of such games as Journey or Limbo, because these games were so new and fresh to me, even though they were short.

I want NINTENDO to get a new franchise out there which is completely new and bizarre, which'll make people go: 'Damn. I never looked at games that way'

Protagonist's name is Joanna Dark, she got a perfect score on the training exams. Perfect Dark is her nickname.

Question: how did you not know that? :p

Seriously, all I want is Wind Waker HD. Release a wireless (Wavebird) Gamecube controller for the Wii U (which would solve the issue of no GC controller ports) and move the Tingle Turner to the Wii U tablet. I don't care if they add extra dungeons or not.

I wouldn't mind a HD Skyward Sword, it looks terrible on a HDTV, so blurry...

Seriously, all I want is Wind Waker HD. Release a wireless (Wavebird) Gamecube controller for the Wii U (which would solve the issue of no GC controller ports) and move the Tingle Turner to the Wii U tablet. I don't care if they add extra dungeons or not.

I've always wanted a Wavebird, cube controller. Back when it was new, I ordered my bro to pick one up for me while he was going to get his game - the little bell-end went and got me one of those buffed-up white chunky things (Logitech, is it?). I settled with it because we just gamed on!

But anyway, the real motive behind me quoting you is because, if OoT and/or WW got a true Wiimake (to cater for u this time..), then rather than add on more dungeons I think they could put more effort and enthusiasm (aka 'art') into expressing what's already on display. In addition, ideas that they once had but was impossible to put into the game at that time, now, they could show the player their ture-enough vision of what they had/have in mind. :love:

Don't get me wrong, this would be the chance for them to add as many other side-quests - and perhaps more dungeons - and the like to make it a complete game (I personally think that some stuff from MM, WW, TP & SS were ideas that were inspired by the ideas that were originally meant for OoT but couldn't make it in the game).

Besides, after playing it several times on the 64, then the cube, then even the Wii, .... and the 3DS just because of the little 3D effects, and fans are still screaming out for more - I thinks that such a LEGEND would be rewarded by such efforts. Could be (most-likely) wrong, of course!

Edited by Beverage

I would like to see Monolith HD Collection on Wii U, consisting of Baten Kaitos, Baten Kaitos Origins and Disaster: Day of Crisis. Many Americans should anjoy a collection like that. Xenoblade Chronicles is quite a new game and if you ask me, it already looks stunning enough. Just HD-resolution upgrade wouldn't really help anything.

By the way, I was wondering one thing. Nintendo bought Monolith Soft in 2007, but Monolith did Xenosaga games and Baten Kaitos games before that. What happened to those rights? Did they transform to Nintendo with Monolith Soft, or are they still held by Namco? I started wondering about this, since Namco uses Xenosaga characters in Project X Zone. If Nintendo has the rights, maybe we'll one day see Xenosaga Trilogy, and maybe even Episodes IV-VI as it was originally planned.

Those bastards! *angry fist*

I think you misunderstood me.

I LOVE the XBLA version of Perfect Dark. Those aditions are great, the only missing thing was drop-in online multiplayer. As is now, you start a quickmatch with 5 people, then three drop out and there's only two of you until the next match... and between matches there's usually fewer who join in than who previously dropped out.

Question: Why was it called Perfect Dark?

While the game was in development, a big focus was placed on a gameplay mechanic that involved destroying light sources and a contrast between light and dark. When David Doak and various others left the company to found Free Radical (who made Timesplitters), that part of the gameplay was abandoned (though while they kept the breakable lights in the game and they do still have an effect, it's no longer THE central game mechanic). The name "Perfect Dark" was chosen to reflect this game mechanic (as well as it being the "perfect" sequel to Goldeneye)

Up until a few months before its Japanese release, it was actually originally going to be called Red and Black, in order to tie in with another N64 game that was coming out at around the same time (Sin & Punishment) and to honour the original game concept. This name was abandoned however in favour of the English name.

This is also why the Japanese ads featured red and black imagery, as you can see below...

Perfect_Dark_Japanese_Ad.jpg

They talk a bit about this in the Iwata Asks interview for Sin & Punishment 2 (since the original S&P itself had a name change near release!), but there are various interviews with PD staff out there with more info.

I would like to see Monolith HD Collection on Wii U, consisting of Baten Kaitos, Baten Kaitos Origins and Disaster: Day of Crisis. Many Americans should anjoy a collection like that. Xenoblade Chronicles is quite a new game and if you ask me, it already looks stunning enough. Just HD-resolution upgrade wouldn't really help anything.

By the way, I was wondering one thing. Nintendo bought Monolith Soft in 2007, but Monolith did Xenosaga games and Baten Kaitos games before that. What happened to those rights? Did they transform to Nintendo with Monolith Soft, or are they still held by Namco? I started wondering about this, since Namco uses Xenosaga characters in Project X Zone. If Nintendo has the rights, maybe we'll one day see Xenosaga Trilogy, and maybe even Episodes IV-VI as it was originally planned.

Nance own the rights to Xenosaga, not Nintendo. I think Namco also own BK as well, but I'm not completely certain.

Edited by Dcubed

I could maybe go for some HD DK Jungle Beat. My options are sort of limited because just like d_prOdigy, I'd only be up for an HD Remix of something I don't already own - well, unless there are (significant) new features added.

I'd be disappointed if Nintendo decide to spend time 'upgrading' a lot of their classic games for Wii U as I've never really been interested in HD remakes :hmm: I want new games from our favourite franchises and new franchises from Nintendo.

I love playing all of the older content in it's original form (or as close to its original form as possible) and feel like games often lose a little of what made them special when they undergo a visual overhaul..

I'll confess that I own Starfox 64 3D but that was largely down to interest in having a portable version that I could play in short bursts but I don't actually feel much happier having it out about with me and wpuld likely just be as fulfilled playing through my N64 version every now and again..