Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

It's subjective if it's difficult to develop for the PS3 - but when comparing it to its main rival in the market, (360) which uses tools and libraries which are far more familiar to developers then (in such a context) of course it's difficult to develop for.

I'm sure we can all see this, and its what Zechs was saying about the Notenoughshaders article where the focus was on raw hardware power over power of software.

In regards to what the PS3 'can do' - NaughtyDog are the Rare of SONY having practically rebuilt their games with their own libraries for the PS1/2 and, now 3. This is what Rare used to do with Nintendo consoles, reverse-engineering a NES, using Silicon Graphics on the SNES and then levelling up to wizards for N64 development before it all went pear-shaped under MS management structures.

It's all to do with the talent on the team porting it and we really have no idea who works on ports whenever they are done.

Edited by tapedeck

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they go into detail about the Wii U version?
No they don't talk about the Wii U version unfortunately. Just the 3(/4) gameplay modes, and what to expect from/the changes from each.

For me it was a great watch as they did a fantastic job of selling the campaign, which sounds incredible, but yeah they haven't been sent the Wii U version yet (as we learnt yesterday), so they're just basing it off their playtime with the 360 version.

First footage featuring the REMOTE!!!! :)

- Very smooth

- Need for a Nintendo Network ID

- DAY ONE PATCH

- Kill cams are in (as we thought they would be)

And I have more:

http://www.twitch.tv/thepwnstar4hire

This guy is playing off the tablet!

Edited by Mokong
changed to HD tags for better visuals :)

First footage featuring the REMOTE!!!! :)

- Very smooth

- Need for a Nintendo Network ID

- DAY ONE PATCH

- Kill cams are in (as we thought they would be)

Says the Black Ops patch takes about 45 mins to download:heh::wtf:

I'll prolly end up playing NintendoLand and some ZombiU then after I've got my WiiU set up (with fireware update, set up my Nintendo ID) and leave BO2 till after lunch or something and leave it to download the patch while I eat :heh:

Says the Black Ops patch takes about 45 mins to download:heh::wtf:

I'll prolly end up playing NintendoLand and some ZombiU then after I've got my WiiU set up (with fireware update, set up my Nintendo ID) and leave BO2 till after lunch or something and leave it to download the patch while I eat :heh:

I'm sure it's possible to download content whilst playing other titles, no?

This is a day-one for me now. Looks great fun and the added wii controls should make this the definitive version. Also - that two player mode with the tablet is a great idea.

This game looks wonderful on Wii U, but I expected that. I know the PS3 version is a total mess and looks a lot worse than the 360 version which did give cause for concern.

But Treyarch have always treated Nintendo fans with total respect and the COD games on Wii have always been produced with a lot of care and attention and have always been a shining example of how a developer should deal with games on the system.

I always had faith in Treyarch and I'm pleased people are enjoying the game :)

This game looks wonderful on Wii U, but I expected that. I know the PS3 version is a total mess and looks a lot worse than the 360 version which did give cause for concern.

But Treyarch have always treated Nintendo fans with total respect and the COD games on Wii have always been produced with a lot of care and attention and have always been a shining example of how a developer should deal with games on the system.

I always had faith in Treyarch and I'm pleased people are enjoying the game :)

Shadows on Wii U seem baked compared to the Xbox - seems to be a theme with ported games, these early ones at least. They do look quite rough in places but I'd rather that than the PS3's frame rate stammers and whatever else funk it's got going on. I haven't seen one framerate drop in the videos posted.

I'm kinda thinking about gettin' it Day One now after this and the amazing WiiMote reports.

Edited by madeinbeats

I'm very tempted to pick this game up myself actually in place of Zombi U.

This seems solid across the board and it looks to be the first COD in ages that has a great single player campaign - which is great :).

Not been much mention of the game pad though? Is the game playing ok on the pad do we know?!

Be great to get some footage of someone playing with it.

Also is this one playable on game pad alone?!! Cheers for any insight!! :bowdown:

I'm sure it's possible to download content whilst playing other titles, no?

I'd assume you wouldn't get prompted to download the games patch until you actually put in the game and try to go online with it... in which case I'd assume you'd need to keep the game on/in while the patch downloads/installs.

They got the update installed and are playing it live now: http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

Haha, yeah I started watching while they were downloading the patch I thought it was the Wii U firmware update they were downloading, then it finished and BO2 came on

Lol, he just started playing a online game and within 2 mins "COnnection Interrupted" :heh:

EDIT:

And now the video stream just stopped on me and won't reload....NNNNOOOOOO

Edited by Mokong

Haha, yeah I started watching while they were downloading the patch I thought it was the Wii U firmware update they were downloading, then it finished and BO2 came on

Lol, he just started playing a online game and within 2 mins "COnnection Interrupted" :heh:

EDIT:

And now the video stream just stopped on me and won't reload....NNNNOOOOOO

Sounds like they've got no intentions or trying the Wiimote setup. I think they mentioned their office wifi is 'on fire'... must be American for shit?

They're trying out the TV uPad split screen now.

EDIT - So it looks like they were in an online lobby. Two people local online off the same console. That's pretty epic. They said they were impressed. Noticed a slight framerate drop in this mode but nothing worrying.

Edited by madeinbeats

Yeah I must have got kicked out after their servers got overloaded.

Tried to run a tracert in the command prompt to see how far I can get. I got to a few routers in Washington before it starts timing out..... ah well hopefully they'll have this recorded and I can watch it later.

How is COD with the wiimote?

never played the wii versions and wondering how good it is as I may not like the Wii U gamepad controls.

Have you played Metroid Prime 3 (Trilogy) with the Wiimote?

Think that and full costumisation and it is the best control set-up for an FPS game IMO

Of course I hated dual-analogue controls myself. The Wiimote felt more natural, faster and more accurate (with a steady hand of course). Not far off like using a mouse on a PC