NEurope
Murr

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Sony's much rumoured Super Smash Bros-alike, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, has just been confirmed on GTTV.

Imagine Smash Bros. with Sony characters from all PlayStation eras and you won't be far off the picture - it's a chaotic brawler and it's due out 'holiday' 2012.

First footage of the game, in development at SuperBot Entertainment, was shown on air seemingly running silky-smooth as characters such as Sly (Sly Cooper), Kratos (God of War) and Parappa (Parappa the Rapper) duked it out. Yes, we said Parappa.

Radec (Killzone), Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal) and Fat Princess characters were also revealed.

Levels from Ratchet and Clank, God of War 3, and LittleBigPlanet also featured, with four-player bouts that don't look too disimilar in gameplay style to Nintendo's all-star brawler.

Levels also cross universes, with Hades from God of War seen to be mashing up with Patapons. Similarly, Big God of War characters can also be spotted in the Ratchet level.

Other levels appear to influence gameplay in other ways - a Buzz! level has questions that can be answered mid-fight, offering players the chance to snag an extra bonus by the looks of it.

GTTV presenter Geoff Keighley has confirmed "the game is running at 60 FPS", which is why it looked so smooth in the reveal footage.

Trailer here -

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/345442/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-is-official-first-footage/

pBcow.jpg

b25e4414e57fae44fdc837868856eb2fade8eb28.PNG

6971584916_67b28fa101_o.jpg

7117662167_81279679ec_o.png

PlayStationAllStars_feature.jpg

Edited by Murr

They need to get old PlayStation "mascots" in it. Crash, Spyro and possibly Lara Croft.

Hmm....not quite keen on the art style but if it plays like Smash Bros and has a decent online mode then count me in.

They need to get old PlayStation "mascots" in it. Crash, Spyro and possibly Lara Croft.

I used to really enjoy the Crash & Spyro games. PS2 they just went to hell really. Jak and Daxter / Ratchet & Clank / Sly stole the show.

I also really liked Croc and Gex : peace:

I used to really enjoy the Crash & Spyro games. PS2 they just went to hell really. Jak and Daxter / Ratchet & Clank / Sly stole the show.

I also really liked Croc and Gex : peace:

who was famous for just being a Croc of sh!t.

Why do all the stages look basically the same? (either completely flat, or battlefield ripoffs with it being flat with a couple of platforms)

This is more of a ripoff than I was expecting (and that's saying a lot!). It really is a direct and unashamed clone of Smash Bros (Stamina mode), it's actually quite funny in how shameless it is :laughing:

FIGHT WITH TIMELESS SONY CHARACTERS!!! on such varied stages as "Battlefield ripoff 1", "Final Destination ripoff 1" and "Battlefield ripoff 2"!

It even has final smashes, with the Killzone guy's Final Smash being AN EXACT COPY of Snake's Final Smash from Brawl! :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed

The game could be good but I don't recognise any of these characters apart from Parappa the Rapper and Kratos from Mortal Kombat.

There's Drake, Sly, Ratchet & Clank, InFamous Dude and some others.

Looks okay. I'll have to wait to see how it feels. Loved the N64 Smash Bros but after that they kind of went down hill, although the GC was pretty good.

Let's hope it's good.

Also, PATAPON awesome.

Edited by Daft

@Daft didn't you call me a fanboy for saying this would blatantly be a Smash Bros. rip off? COuld it be any more of a Smash Bros. rip off?!

Though who cares, was just saying, think this looks pretty good. A little shameless, but if it's fun that's all that matters!

I never said it wouldn't be. I said you were a fanboy for assuming that. And then following it up with how Sony always copy blah blah blah.

And saying it in the Playstation thread.

So I'm a fanboy for thinking something would happen, and it did... Damn fanboy me. Sony DO copy a lot, I just don't understand why you take it so personally! And I said it in the PS thread because where we were talking about it.

You are so weirdly protective about Sony!

There's Drake, Sly, Ratchet & Clank, InFamous Dude and some others.

Uncharted and Infamous I've played, no idea about the rest. They really need to get stuff like Crash Bandicoot and Metal Gear Solid in this game cause Playstation was always about its third party exclusives. I know Crash isn't a Sony exclusive anymore but his only good games were all on Playstation lol

So I'm a fanboy for thinking something would happen, and it did... Damn fanboy me. Sony DO copy a lot, I just don't understand why you take it so personally! And I said it in the PS thread because where we were talking about it.

You are so weirdly protective about Sony!

I don't take it personally. I guess you just annoy me. You're like the buzz kill.

It's all these little things that you keep hammering about, I've lost count of the times you mention PSN being slow and during the Vita launch, you were there, dazzybee - the moment killer.

Darn, I was hoping for something more akin to Power Stone.

I thought the idea of Sony taking on the concept of Smash Bros. was great as they actually do have a lot of characters to pull from and we aren't exactly inundated with such mash-up titles, but this is a bit too on-the-nose. If you squint you could easily mistake it for Nintendo's game, whereas I was hoping they'd take the core conceit and do something else with it.

That isn't to say it looks bad, I just don't really understand why they've made comparisons between the two games so easy to draw when there wasn't really a need to. It's like trying to beat CoD by making a better linear shooting gallery.

It is unashamedly a total rip off of the Smash Bros formula...look at the Buzz Level it is an exact clone of the Pokemon Stadium one.....

I forgot to mention, the name is horrendously long; that was an aspect of Smash Bros. they really didn't need to emulate. The rumoured Title Fight name was much better.

Also, if Cloud Strife isn't playable then someone hates money.

Well, it looks exactly like Super Smash Bros., so I guess it might be fun?

Though Sony characters and game worlds don't bring out the same nostalgic feelings as Nintendo's characters and worlds do, and those are a big part of what makes the games fun.

Mostly it just really needs items (unless there were some in the trailer and I just missed them?). Super Smash Bros. without items is really boring.

GUYS STOP!!! You're not allowed to keep saying it's a shameless rip off of Smash Bros.

I don't take it personally. I guess you just annoy me. You're like the buzz kill.

It's all these little things that you keep hammering about, I've lost count of the times you mention PSN being slow and during the Vita launch, you were there, dazzybee - the moment killer.

Moment killer... You should see me in the bedroom, you don't know how true that is!!!

I just say what i think, I don't really think about it too much (huh!). Don't mean to be a killjoy, I don't really know why people care, it's not as if I'm slagging anything off in a subjective way. The Playstation is slow, so I need to wire it. This is a smash rip off. I don't understand how it can kill any joy. It's facts.

I'll leave the Sony boards for sony diehards where everything is amazing and perfect and dip in for specific info! Having to explain my opinions and feeling like I can't say what I want is beginning to bore me senseless.

GUYS STOP!!! You're not allowed to keep saying it's a shameless rip off of Smash Bros.

But it is...and to be honest I'm angry that Sony can get away with that (no, I'm not a fanboy of any company, I own a Wii, PS3, Xbox360, N3DS, PSVita, Game Cube...), because so far it has nothing that might make me say "cool, that's new".

In the end, I'll probably get it, though :D

But it is...and to be honest I'm angry that Sony can get away with that (no, I'm not a fanboy of any company, I own a Wii, PS3, Xbox360, N3DS, PSVita, Game Cube...), because so far it has nothing that might make me say "cool, that's new".

In the end, I'll probably get it, though :D

Well of course it is, just a slight jibe at the previous conversation. And like you, I'll probably get it too :) Hope they whack in cross compatibility play! In fact, and this will never happen, I'd like them to do the PSN/app store route of allowing one purchase to work on both consoles, would encourage more digital downloads.

I'd love for developers and publishers to be more honest about these things.

"We're huge fans of Super Smash Bros. and thought, 'hey, we can do that!'"

"Yes, it's essentially the same game as last year with an updated roster, but we like earning money, okay?"

"We just wanted a piece of the Call of Duty pie."

Edited by Magnus

I don't think SuperBot have shied away from the comparison. Obviously they're not going to mention Smash Bros. in a press release, but they seem pretty candid about the game's inspirations in interviews.

Reading a couple of previews has gotten me more interested. Whilst ostensibly very similar to Nintendo's game, the core of the fighting isn't about ringing out opponents but building up tiered Supers, which all sound suitably bombastic. Seems brawling might also be more combo-based.

Well fuck I was hoping it would be like Powerstone but Smash Bros clone it is, tickle me not bothered.