N-Europe

Rumour: Sonic To Get A Reboot

Hero-of-Time

I don't think the people revealing/making up these rumours know what a reboot is...

I mean, everything sounds like any other entry in the Sonic franchise, except for the figurine elements... Which would make this game a spinoff, not a reboot.

I know using a pre-existing popular one has the advantage of bringing the hardcore fanbase no matter what the shit they throw out, but if it goes wrong it'll alienate one of the two audiences. It's very risky, but there's a big payout if it goes right.

I think you are severely underestimating how popular Sonic is. Dude's practically a household name, like Mario. Most kids don't really fall into the Sonic Fandom you're talking about, but when you have a concept that's a hit with kids, marketing it alongside your most popular brand is a no-brainer. The fanbase you're talking about has nothing to do with this.

Skylanders was a success?!!! It looked terrible!

I saw Skylanders soon after release in Toys R Us, all massively reduced, thought it has bombed as I assumed it had, then last week was walking passed HMV (well...went in) but anyway, there were printed out notices saying "SKYLANDERS IN STOCK" and I was like "oooh, whats Skylanders..." then saw a colossal, half empty display. Was shocked. They're just so expensive.

I keep reading 'Nintendo/Sega developed Sonic' in this thread... what have I missed?

Nothing. It's just a rumour that's going round that doesn't have a huge amount of weight behind it. But that's not stopping people from thinking it's happening. Don't see it myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Love how everyone reboots everything all the time like this.

However, the term has started to be used way to loosely. For example, apparently the new Ghost Rider is a "reboot". Even though they haven't even changed the cast.

And how do you "reboot" a franchise which doesen't even have a coherent story? Or gameplay style?

This is literally as logical as rebooting Mario. Or Tetris.

They should try it with a new IP or something. I know using a pre-existing popular one has the advantage of bringing the hardcore fanbase no matter what the shit they throw out, but if it goes wrong it'll alienate one of the two audiences. It's very risky, but there's a big payout if it goes right.

Why don't they try and bring Ristar back with it? A lot could have been done with that, it did span planets and had plenty of enemies and such and it's a cute little character to boot.

Nah I think the next thing for this tech is applying it to popular franchises unfortunately there's already rumours that Activision may use the Skylanders model and release a transformers game. As long as it's just a subset of the franchise and we still get core installments I don't mind but personally I don't want tens of toys just to get through a game.

I saw Skylanders soon after release in Toys R Us, all massively reduced, thought it has bombed as I assumed it had, then last week was walking passed HMV (well...went in) but anyway, there were printed out notices saying "SKYLANDERS IN STOCK" and I was like "oooh, whats Skylanders..." then saw a colossal, half empty display. Was shocked. They're just so expensive.

Yeah it's crazy you should see how much some of them go for on ebay.