NEurope
Rummy

Super Mario 64(all versions)

So, I was in the pub on saturday embracing my very obvious irish roots, when one of my smash brothers mentioned Mario 64. He'd gotten it a while back on his Wii VC and admitted he'd never actually finished it before on the N64! He'd only played like half the game! It got me to thinking about how great this game truly was. I could still remember most of it, and even offered a few handy hints on stars/bits he might have missed, and my appreciation of all the variety across the levels and the things they did.

Then, as if by fate, I visited the Awesome Thread(General Chit Chat, for you guys who hide in the dark) the next day, and spotted this rather indeedly awesome video that EEVIL had posted. I then lost about an hour of my day not being able to stop watching. It was also nice having it through my PC speakers, I once more appreciated some of the awesome tunes in this game.

Dude gets 120 stars on Mario 64 in under 2 hours. No backwards jump bullshit.

So yeah, basically, as there was recently a lot of love for MM, I thought about making a thread for some SM64 love too! Possibly one of my favourite Mario games, to be honest. So well crafted!

Couldn't find an old thread dedicated to it, so this is a thread for you all to shower praise/criticism upon this gem of a game!

Edited by Rummy

Super Mario 64 is such a good game. My favourite 3D platformer, honestly. Instead of levels, you have big areas to explore, reaching each star being a level in itself, the best part being that any star can be found at any point (with a couple of exceptions here and there), which means you can either play this the "traditional" way, or go wild, explore the level, and be rewarded for it.

And each level is unique on its own. Even if two levels are Snow-themed, one of them is an open area with lakes, igloos and snowmen, while the other is a rather tall, steep, slippery mountain.

The hub area has plenty to see and explore. Extra levels, extra stars, the caps... SM64 really gives great incentive to explore everything. The great versatility in movement helps, too (at the posted video, take a look at minute 1:39. The whole minute. Confess that you've spent way more time than you should trying to climb over that maze, at one point. Or maybe at Tick Tock Clock, trying to collect the red coins without realizing you can stop the clock? Either way, even if both are unnecessary, it's possible, or at least it feels that way)

The graphics might be incredibly dated, the controls might feel slightly sloppy nowadays, and there are those who'll complain about the camera (never was an issue for me except in Rainbow Ride), but seriously, it's the first good 3D game, and those are the only signs of age, I'd say it's impressive.

It has an awful camera - makes it near unplayable nowadays (people complained about Mario Sunshine, but I thought that had a great camera), but it's still an incredible milestone in gaming and level design.

And the music - sublime! :D

It's by far my favourite Mario game. I had two save files - one at my childminder's and one at my cousin's, which I got all stars on both. I never actually owned it until the Virtual Console.

The level design is brilliant, the controls still feel pretty fluid, and the extra moves that are pointless are still missing from newer games (crawling).

After loving the Mega Drive, my interest of gaming dropped down (I wasn't that interested in my Saturn or PlayStation), but this game was the turning point. As a result, I can safely say that this game had a huge impact on my entire life.

A sexy game, I had to use a walkthrough back in the day to get the last secret star which was complete Peach's slide in udner howevermany seconds. How the hell was I meant to guess that?!

Truly redefined the platformer in a way which hasn't been accomplished since, despite many attempts (I think Banjo Kazooie has come closest)

The DS incarnation was good, and you could say tactical by having to use all the different characters to get certain stars. Although in some cases it was just annoying.

I fall into the group of people who has never finished it...loved it but for whatever reason despite starting it many times never finished it. I even owned it on DS as well....sigh..

I'd love a version on the 3DS with Mario Galaxy quality graphics. I nearly wet my self when I first saw screen shots of Thwomps Fortess in Galaxy 2 - I convinced myself Nintendo's 'reward' for getting 120 stars was in fact going to be Mario 64 with Galaxy power ups! I can still dream!

I have no problems with the camera even now but perhaps that's because I've played it to death

Mario 64 is by far my favourite ever Mario title, I don't think anything will top it.

This was one of the first N64 games i played, awesome title indeed. Took me long enough to get all 120 stars, some were hair-pullingly tough. Others were easy as. It is one of my favourite Mario games, just coming short of the top spot by Galaxy 2.

Hate to admit it, but i missed it on the N64 and have only played the DS version. Sometimes i think about picking up an original copy and playing it as God (read: 'Miyamoto') intended, but alas, i never do.

Amazing game. Always has been, always will be. While it arguably isn't as pure a platformer as the 2D titles (with its focus on exploration and light puzzle solving), the freedom of movement on offer and the platforming challenges that it does throw at you more than make up for it!

I'd love to see another free roaming 3D Mario title! No jump assists, just pure run and jump free roaming action! :D

Super Mario 64 is such a good game. My favourite 3D platformer, honestly. Instead of levels, you have big areas to explore, reaching each star being a level in itself, the best part being that any star can be found at any point (with a couple of exceptions here and there), which means you can either play this the "traditional" way, or go wild, explore the level, and be rewarded for it.

And each level is unique on its own. Even if two levels are Snow-themed, one of them is an open area with lakes, igloos and snowmen, while the other is a rather tall, steep, slippery mountain.

The hub area has plenty to see and explore. Extra levels, extra stars, the caps... SM64 really gives great incentive to explore everything. The great versatility in movement helps, too (at the posted video, take a look at minute 1:39. The whole minute. Confess that you've spent way more time than you should trying to climb over that maze, at one point. Or maybe at Tick Tock Clock, trying to collect the red coins without realizing you can stop the clock? Either way, even if both are unnecessary, it's possible, or at least it feels that way)

The graphics might be incredibly dated, the controls might feel slightly sloppy nowadays, and there are those who'll complain about the camera (never was an issue for me except in Rainbow Ride), but seriously, it's the first good 3D game, and those are the only signs of age, I'd say it's impressive.

This completely! If I could thanks x10 I would. One thing I've felt the latter marios failed on is their linearity compared to SM64. There's the little thrill of being in on a secret from getting both secret stars, finding 'hidden' worlds and others' unique features, and also from getting a star you shouldn't have!

From Sunshine on, you can basically only get a star/shine one if selected and as intended, even the secret stars were only on certain shines in Galaxy! I never liked that about the game. Ever since Mario 1, every game has had some sort of sneaky secrets(warps, mainly), and I felt the latter games just didn't.

Crafted is the word that always comes to mind for me when it comes to Mario 64. It was wholly crafted, carefully and intricately as its own little world of worlds within a world(I heard you like worlds...). Admittedly my mate did say it felt weak to him as he played Banjo before Mario, but I don't think we'd have had Banjo and DK64 *without* Mario. Even then...Mario 64 just felt like it was...the right size? It was a world that wasn't a world, it was just a castle!

Hate to admit it, but i missed it on the N64 and have only played the DS version. Sometimes i think about picking up an original copy and playing it as God (read: 'Miyamoto') intended, but alas, i never do.

I don't know about the others, but I actually think the 3DS version was a very worthy remake. Whilst the characters felt tacked onish, and the touch controls just weren't...sufficient, they added a nice bit of content. Each character controlled its own way, the caps were a shortcut to changing to the required character for a certain star, and they added a whopping what...30 extra stars?! 1 for each level and 15 more secret ones or something ridiculous? Definitely a worth remake.

It certainly would, as others have said, be good to have a 3D graphically updated version of the game on 3DS, either original or DS remake, I don't mind!!

From Sunshine on, you can basically only get a star/shine one if selected and as intended, even the secret stars were only on certain shines in Galaxy! I never liked that about the game. Ever since Mario 1, every game has had some sort of sneaky secrets(warps, mainly), and I felt the latter games just didn't.

Sunshine was much worse about this. Galaxy accepted that each "level" accessed a certain part of the map and nothing else. It was enjoyable, even if it wasn't like SM64 did things.

But in Sunshine, you just get the same full world 8 times, like in SM64, while using Galaxy's philosophy. You have to explore the same world 8 times to get everything, for crying out loud! They were doin' it wrong!

(And it should be noted, it wouldn't be that bad, if it wasn't for the stinking blue coins, appearing in certain missions, and not on others, for no good reason...)

But in Sunshine, you just get the same full world 8 times, like in SM64, while using Galaxy's philosophy. You have to explore the same world 8 times to get everything, for crying out loud! They were doin' it wrong!

Brace yourself for a shocker here folks because I'm about to do something you won't see very often... but... that isn't entirely true.

They did add new things to each level to try and mix things up a bit. The first level has Petey Piranha goup everywhere and then it's gone from that point onwards until he comes back. The trampoline lines get added later on plus you have the poisoned water too. The second world changes all the climbable stuff out in the water for almost every level... not that you need it.

The beach doesn't see much in changes but the fun park mixes up the outside section adding different things each time. The hotel doesn't really leave much room for manoeuvrability but they get a bit more mileage out of the Noki Bay and more so the tree level.

It really wasn't enough for how long you spent in each place but there was a bit of variety there.

But back to Super Mario 64, and for me at least, the best game I’ve ever played.

Standing in Toy R’ Us playing Mario on the demo unit and struggling to grasp how the analog stick worked in a gameplay sense seems like a lifetime ago. But no game has ever grabbed me in the same way since. Yes, games have impressed me and some have impressed me a lot. But none have ever really changed the way I view games and what they could represent quite like that did.

The incredible graphics, the absolutely charming score, the sublime controls (I never had any issue with the camera personally), the variety, the imagination. So many things that we take for granted with modern titles… and a good few of them fail to get it right.

Here's a review I wrote a while back - never did end up doing anything with it mind...

Stepping forth into the third dimension is a daunting task for any character with established roots in a 2D world. The Z-axis brings with it a host of potential implications that need to be fully considered before they can hope to be mastered. Gameplay conventions so strongly tied to an individual or franchise may also bite the dust as a result of the re-imagining process. That what you were once familiar with may not hold true any longer but you can rest assured that if Nintendo are comfortable with their mascot on the front of the box, it’s a fairly good sign there is some fun to be had.

A launch title with little to be compared to at the time, and the sole reason why you’re grappling such a strange control, Super Mario 64 really is unlike everything that has come before it. And that doesn’t refer to the 3D games, but the franchise’s history itself.

In order to accurately transfer the basic Super Mario Bros. gameplay into 3D, some interesting design choices have been made. The linear, left to right, progression that was once the series’ hallmark has given way to a more open field. Flagpoles and gates have been replaced with Stars and whilst you could make the argument that reaching them is still an A to B procedure, there isn’t anything stopping you wandering around the rest of the map and maybe finding C instead of B. Exploration is rewarded then by allowing you to complete “levels” out of order. Some levels are set up in a way that their stars can only be achieved by selecting it from the menu but by and large, the system is very flexible and you aren’t penalized for doing what you want to once you step foot into one of the games 15 worlds.

That weird and equally wonderful piece of plastic that you hold in your hands feels like a perfect fit and what first feels alien soon becomes second nature. Despite a focus on just a few buttons, the plumber has a surprising amount of moves and all work remarkable well. Tip toeing around ghost houses and triple jumping up mountainsides becomes second nature thanks to tight movement and the perfectly weighted airborne physics.

But Mario isn’t the only thing you have to concern yourself about controlling over the course of the adventure. Whilst his brother is nowhere to be found, you do have to worry about controlling the camera in order to get the best views. For the most part it behaves itself and gives a good view but every now and again, you will struggle to get the perfect angle for the next perilous leap.

And speaking of views, seeing Mario’s world in sprawl out in front of you for the first time is a sight to behold. Primitive in terms of geography for this day and age, the simple shapes, use of sprites and instances of pop-up don’t hide the exemplary use of primary colours to create a vivid world just ripe for exploring.

Even compared to the standards of today, it’s genuinely remarkable how much Nintendo got right with this game for their first attempt at the genre. Revolutionary at the time, it’s still full of more tricks and ideas that a lot of modern day efforts. There is no shoe horning of gimmicks here (they waited for its sequel) to cheapen the existing gameplay or mask over the cracks of something that wouldn’t bear scrutiny close up.

Whilst not as pure a platforming experience as say his 2D games or space based adventures, there is still an awful lot to love about this game even now and you’d be foolish to let its age put you off playing it.

Edited by Captain Falcon

I'm just gonna add some love for Sunshine. That game totally took over my life for a while. I loved the summery setting and feel of the whole thing, and running around Delfina Plaza was lush. I never felt like it was repetitive or tiresome at any point, even gathering all of the coins. F.L.U.D.D was also a cool invention and i found that quite intuitive to use in reaching high places combined with Mario's jumping ability. So... yeah... much Sunshine love from me.

I was a bit obsessed with this level, I loved it super_mario_64_image8.jpg

The desert one with the interior of the pyramid was also excellent. So many quality levels

Brace yourself for a shocker here folks because I'm about to do something you won't see very often... but... that isn't entirely true.

They did add new things to each level to try and mix things up a bit. The first level has Petey Piranha goup everywhere and then it's gone from that point onwards until he comes back. The trampoline lines get added later on plus you have the poisoned water too. The second world changes all the climbable stuff out in the water for almost every level... not that you need it.

The beach doesn't see much in changes but the fun park mixes up the outside section adding different things each time. The hotel doesn't really leave much room for manoeuvrability but they get a bit more mileage out of the Noki Bay and more so the tree level.

It really wasn't enough for how long you spent in each place but there was a bit of variety there.

Ah yes, I know the levels change a bit with each mission (some more than others), but that's what I meant. You may have explored the Pianta Village 3 times already (some of the level variations feel genuinely new), but it's only in the 5th mission (number may not be precise) that a random Pianta will give you a Blue Coin.

This is what I hate about the Blue Coin quest. The fact that certain Blue Coins are in unintuitive to find in the first place worsens the problem. Like I said, the "slightly different levels" problem wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for that.

But I feel like I'm giving a lot of negativity towards Sunshine. I like the game, I do. In fact, there's so much to love about it, it's a shame there are a couple of glaring flaws in there.

The controls are amazing. Both the FLUDD and regular Mario are a dream to play (a great evolution from SM64). There are some good-to-great levels in there (some of them quite challenging), great freedom of movement and exploration (previously-stated limitations notwithstanding), fantastic water effects, a very well executed "Summer" theme throughout the game, and an incredible soundtrack (IMO, better than SM64's).

The flaws are Blue Coins and the story cutscenes. Seriously, I've tried multiple times to have guests play Sunshine, only for them to give up on the boring opening trial cutscene (the only good scenes were the ones involving Bowser, really)

Honestly, being a Mario game helped it gain attention, but I think fans would've appreciated it more if it was its own franchise. I recall being disappointed with the lack of level variety, for example. I later accepted it was following a Summer Vacation theme, but I think I would've understood far sooner if I wasn't expecting the diversity from 64.

This happened to be the last console and game my mum bought for us siblings in 96. (Ever since then we bought our own stuff:) My bros played the game to death i remember at the time how colorful and how much fun it was to play

@Jonnas

Well I'm sure it's not secret to anyone who pays attention to what I write, so probably it is, that I'm not much of a fan of Mario Sunshine and it's wealth of issues that I do feel get overlooked because of the man on the box and name of the developer. I'm sure other studios wouldn't have got off so lightly.

Sunshine is guilty of having ideas and not following them through properly to the extent that guarantees an interesting and varied game that doesn't go out of its way to annoy the player.

But I don't want to turn this thread into something other than what it should be - a place to praise the incredible game that is Super Mario 64.

I really should play through it again some time soon as it's been a little while now and I need to refamiliarize myself with its levels. Turning it on and hearing the "It's a me, Mario" always puts a smile on my face because I know what's coming up - sheer brilliance.

Turning it on and hearing the "It's a me, Mario" always puts a smile on my face because I know what's coming up - sheer brilliance.

You're one of those who plays with Mario's face, ain't ya!!

I'm sure I will play this through again some day, though probably not for all 120 stars.. maybe just the required 70 :indeed:

The last time I had Super Mario 64 on, though, I was starting to find that the ratio of levels I like to levels I'm not so fond of was swinging the wrong way.. :hmm:

I'm sure I will play this through again some day, though probably not for all 120 stars.. maybe just the required 70 :indeed:

The last time I had Super Mario 64 on, though, I was starting to find that the ratio of levels I like to levels I'm not so fond of was swinging the wrong way.. :hmm:

Well, that's somewhat the beauty of the game...you can totally choose which levels you play more of/get more stars on! You only need average of what...5 per level to get 75? Throw in a couple secret stars, favourite levels being 7 starred and bam, you're in the business! I wish to god I knew where my blasted SM64 cart was now!

However, good point of discussion raised there by the Nando(and @Ronnie earlier); What are people's favourite/least favourite levels?

I think mine, in order, are;

2. Bob-omb Battlefield - being the first and foremost, really stuck in the memory.

3. Cool, Cool Mountain - the second one I visited, I think. Loved the characterisation of the penguin and the snowman etc, like it was a world beyond just you/enemies(suprisingly lacking in these, now I think of it). First slide of course, too!

4. Wet-Dry World - Loved this. Don't know why. The vastness? The water mechanic? The whole secret city?! Just...brilliant.

5. Tiny-Huge Island - Brilliant idea, and excellent throwback to SMB3. Full of content, and a few interactions between big world and small, . 5 tiny secrets was a great idea for a star! Took me quite a while to get though.

6. Big Boo's Haunt - Loved entering through that boo/go round thingy. Loved the variety(downstairs merry go round, and the fact you fell into it from the mansion), the slight spookyness, and the fact that it was an absolute goldmine for coins!!

7. Lethal Lava Land - Lava surfing. Absolute bomb. Jumping all over the place avoiding lava like a g? Yes please.

8. Shifting Sand Land - Enjoyed the inside/outside aspects, again had a sneaky shortcut or two if you knew how/where to go(hated crossing that dumb mazey bit with the rolling blocks!)

9. Hazy Maze Cave - Underground theme was excellente, and it gave us the even more awesome metal mario cap/theme! Lots of variety here, and a few sneaky shortcuts to places.

10. Whomp's Fortress - Kinda simple/standard Mario fortress fare. Felt like roots to me.

11. Tall Tall Mountain - Quite a mission to scale! Tedious, but later grew on me, came to like the bastard little monkey. Not so bad once you figure out nice shortcuts, and had another slide.

12. Tick Tock Clock - Again, fantastic interaction idea, entering at the certain time controlled the insides?! Not my favourite level due to it being quite hard/challenging, but possibly one of the best executed ideas.(fast, slow, stopped and reverse! loved it).

13. Snowman's Land - Nice return to the snow. Nice seeing the Ice bullies to contrast the lava ones. Not one of my favourites, and quite a challenge. Felt a bit unique, too.

14. Rainbow Ride - Just a bit end game, and the ride made it long out sometimes. Good level, but tired and overlooked due to being at the end.

15. Jolly Roger Bay - For a reason I don't know, I was never THAT fond of this. The music? The dull colour scheme? The water/swimming? The water theme really took a while to grow on me.

16. Dire, Dire Docks - Again, not too much a fan of the water theme/levels, just a bit dull. Obviously awesome for the bowser ship thing, otherwise...unremarkable for me, and I was crap at the red coins! Interesting idea though.

Very difficult to order, actually. But everything's roughly in the right place...I think. Left out secret levels, might stick them in later. Special mention goes to Peach's slide!

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Mario 64 is the definition of a truly great game that holds up incredibly well, even today. It isn't even that it successfully moved our hero into a new dimension, Mario 64 is still on par with or superior to a lot of 3D platformers that have appeared in recent years.

I think one of my favourite memories is finally getting the Wing Cap shown on the cover and FLYING. Back then the dodgy up and down mechanics didn't even matter - Mario could sort of fly! In a 3D world!

Remember when the little bastard of a monkey steals your hat until you go beat on him to get it back? I think you could even leave the stage and be without the hat for the rest of the game if you wanted. It isn't even particularly significant, but things like that add a really nice touch to the overall experience.

Do any of you give the DS remake much love now the 3DS is out? I know it adds in a bunch of gimmicks, but with the circle pad it actually plays fairly nicely. No thumbstrap/touch movement is at least an incentive to give it a try.

As for my two cents on Mario Sunshine - very good game, far from great. The whole thing was mostly forgettable aside FLUDD, the music, cool overworld and retro stages. Yoshi was also a hugely wasted opportunity I'm very glad Galaxy 2 amended.

Saying that, I enjoyed the game a lot when playing it. It just took a few years and subsequent replays to realise there was something missing.

Too many levels to give a breakdown like Rummy, it's been too long. I do remember not liking Hazy Maze Cave, the poison pissed me off too much.

Do any of you give the DS remake much love now the 3DS is out? I know it adds in a bunch of gimmicks, but with the circle pad it actually plays fairly nicely. No thumbstrap/touch movement is at least an incentive to give it a try.

One thing which I disliked about it was the hold Y[?] to run. I know it's how we did it in the old days, but with analogue sticks and gradual movement thereof, it seemed a pointless tactic with the circle pad being able to do the exact same thing.

Mario 64 is the definition of a truly great game that holds up incredibly well, even today. It isn't even that it successfully moved our hero into a new dimension, Mario 64 is still on par with or superior to a lot of 3D platformers that have appeared in recent years.

I think one of my favourite memories is finally getting the Wing Cap shown on the cover and FLYING. Back then the dodgy up and down mechanics didn't even matter - Mario could sort of fly! In a 3D world!

Remember when the little bastard of a monkey steals your hat until you go beat on him to get it back? I think you could even leave the stage and be without the hat for the rest of the game if you wanted. It isn't even particularly significant, but things like that add a really nice touch to the overall experience.

As for my two cents on Mario Sunshine - very good game, far from great. The whole thing was mostly forgettable aside FLUDD, the music, cool overworld and retro stages. Yoshi was also a hugely wasted opportunity I'm very glad Galaxy 2 amended.

Saying that, I enjoyed the game a lot when playing it. It just took a few years and subsequent replays to realise there was something missing.

Man, didn't even think about how it would be on the 3DS! Really gotta try and dig the cart out from whatever pit it's in, getting a proper hankering for this old gem again.